The galaxy s6 and the edge looks like an IPhone running Android OS. I wonder if they even have a design team in the company. The only innovation they did is with the galaxy note edge. Samsung will Samesung forever.

Posted via CB10
    Yep. I guess in your eyes Blackberry releasing a Bold calling it the Classic is innovation
    04-17-15 11:12 AM
    I tested the Edge at work for a few days but I like the BlackBerry OS more than Android, must say the EDGE looks nice and different and also the battery died very quick ,Lucky there is a quick charger but who wanted to take the whole time his charger . The battery is worser that the S5.

The S6 series als has no memoy SD slot so that is also different. The rear glass panel is allready easy to break and the Phone build quility is as worse as the iPhone 6 and that one is also not great. I still agree the look of the edge is SF but after a few days I'm glad going back to black ,whatever people saying it's the best new OS out there.

I used android daily since 1.4 and tested it before but since 2012 when I tested the OS the first time it had not past by Android or ios but it had potential, since last year Android is far behind and ios steps up his game but still buggy and BlackBerry OS stept up big time when OS 10.3.1 was released. It's not only the OS but also the hardware like good battery, good reception, good speakers and mics and build quality is excellent. Other platforms have more apps, so what
    I have the 6plus since release and not a scratch even after a rollover accident..Build quality is what Apple is known for and for you to say otherwise is just bs. On the other hand, every BB I owned broke or stopped working regularly.
    04-17-15 11:15 AM
    I have the 6plus since release and not a scratch even after a rollover accident..Build quality is what Apple is known for and for you to say otherwise is just bs. On the other hand, every BB I owned broke or stopped working regularly.
    Apple definitely has better build quality than BlackBerry. No question. Better designs and materials, too. In fact, the Passport is more prone to bending than the iPhone 6+.

That said, I really prefer BlackBerry when they get something right. I bought a new Q10 nearly two years after buying my first one, and the build quality is as if it were a completely different phone. No comparison that the new Q10 is a better built phone than a launch Q10.

Running 10.2.Squircle
    04-17-15 11:40 AM
    You miss the calendar in the Passport?

How bad is the one on the Edge?? Lol

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 11:44 AM
    I began my Android journey coming from an iPhone when the S3 came along. After a few Sammys I switched to a Sony and then Nexus and saw the light in terms of what true Android is all about. I really don't see myself leaving BlackBerry anytime soon, but if I went back to Android, there's no way I would return to Samsung unless they offered a GPe variant or the dev community had a working port.

All the **** they market as the next big thing is actually what makes their devices crap, IMO. Just give me the hardware with stock Android. I'll add what I want with Xposed.
    anon(9353145) and Barbareren like this.
    04-17-15 11:45 AM
    For sure. But not everyone can afford to buy the next big thing and what they have is satisfactory to them until they can get a new device which is usually when their contract is up for renewal.
    Agree. That means the investment on the new value brought by the new product does not bring enough return for this customer to justify.

But for smartphone manufacturers, they have no choice but bring more and more value in their new products, in either their software or their hardware, or they will fall behind -- a classic business case of such can be found in close range, if you know what I mean.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    kbz1960 and eyesopen1111 like this.
    04-17-15 11:48 AM
    It is the shiny new toy syndrome... consumerism is based on consuming. so all these companies have to keep bringing out bigger and better to make you think you are missing out. Smartphones all do the same functions give and take... in the end it is personal preference. One thing I have found is that once the "newness' wears off.. the second guessing begins... flaws and annoyances become clearer. The term is honeymoon phase.....As much as I have an Iphone 6 for work... I use my trusty Z30 as my daily driver simply because it does what I want the best. If Apple or Sammy comes out with a phone that over the long run does it better than BB I would switch in a heartbeat... My needs would have to change radically for that to happen ... but one never knows.. I for one and not impressed by all the shines and glitters.... In the end it is what works best for me... not brand or newness....
    I have never considered iPhone 6 with all its shiny new toyish hotness, nor the Classic and Leap, even though they are newer than my Passport.

But when Z30 was out, I upgraded from Z10 to get the battery life. And when Passport came out, I got it for its superior processing power (to make Android app experience better) and much better screen.

There are large group of rational consumers choosing new product over old ones because of the value proposition, just like those rationally choosing not to upgrade.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-17-15 11:57 AM
    I had no idea that so many people have so many phones. So much money just to spend on comparisons. I've only ever had one phone for the term of the contract. In any case why do I want a second phone? I've made my choice and am happy with it.

BLΛCKBΣЯЯY ⓟⓐⓢⓢⓟⓞⓡⓣ
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    04-17-15 12:05 PM
    Got a Galaxy S6 Edge for work. Damn this is a nice phone. Just works great. The screen is awesome. The size is great. Thin and light but not wimpy. It is blazingly super fast and the battery charges extra quick. The best thing is that all the apps work with no lags and no worries. (Trust me, I am an experienced sideloader and android patcher) Uber, Hangouts, Lyft.

Don't get me wrong. I loved and still love my passport. I bought it on day one as John Chen announced it. But the sim card now sits in the Edge.

From the passport, I miss:

1) The clean, integrated professional hub
    2) The calendar. Just awesome.
    3) The touch keyboard. Not so much the typing, but the fact that you don't need to touch the screen as much to scroll.
    4) I still use Blend. Even if the PP is at home, I love using blend.

Surprise things I love about the Edge:

1) Camera. Fast, awesome pics.
    2) I love the fingerprint unlock
    3) The world clock UI is great. There's a spinning globe you can pick cities from. (TAT, you could have done it like this!)
    4) The Edge screen. Kinda new, but definitely has potential (BB Slider... looking at you!)

Come on BB, make that slider a killer with a legit android runtime!
    Yes that is great! Certainly fills in the gap of stupid android app runtime problems!

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 12:21 PM
    I can appreciate that many users will prefer the S6 over the Passport. Samsung makes nice devices, and it's good to see them finally using decent materials. I've got a Tab S 8.4 and like it a lot.

I (PERSONALLY) still prefer my Passport as a handheld, though; I find BB10 to be smoother and more consistent than Android in general, and the text entry experience is a whole order of magnitude better.
    04-17-15 12:23 PM
    I'm also about to make my "next stage in life / career" choice of phone. I'm deciding between the Passport and Slider for the next ~5 years; leaning towards the Passport.

Technology should be built to last and it's a disgrace that the electronic "market" has embraced the culture of excess and disposables. This has severely repressed the innovation that would be taking place if devices were given the pause needed for standards to mature.

If a company like Samsung took a 2-5 year break between products to focus on their "next big thing" we wouldn't have such high e-waste, software would be better optimised and the new devices would be more compelling.
    04-17-15 12:25 PM
    Blackberry hub will be coming in few months on ios and android. So you should be even more pleased!! I think calendar too, I am not sure about this one.
    The EDGE is a beautiful piece.

Posted via CB10
    Really?? Find that hard to believe although it may be that BlackBerry will license it out to them. But honestly wouldn't surprise me if iOS and android do develop their own version of the BlackBerry hub. It's probably the best feature on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 12:46 PM
    Apple definitely has better build quality than BlackBerry. No question. Better designs and materials, too. In fact, the Passport is more prone to bending than the iPhone 6+.

That said, I really prefer BlackBerry when they get something right. I bought a new Q10 nearly two years after buying my first one, and the build quality is as if it were a completely different phone. No comparison that the new Q10 is a better built phone than a launch Q10.

Running 10.2.Squircle
    Absolute BS, I've seen so many iphone 6 and 6+'s and all of them are bent out shape. Whereas I've seen about 10 Passport's and none of them are more prone to bending than the iphone 6's.

Posted via CB10
    beamolite and lynxs_claw like this.
    04-17-15 12:49 PM
    I hope BlackBerry is smart and limits the resolution to save cpu and battery. These hardcore resolutions are overkill, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    m3mb3rsh1p and lift like this.
    04-17-15 02:32 PM
    Does a Bold run blackberry 10.3.1? Does it carry the blackberry hub? can it run blend? can it run android apps? A classic is light years ahead of a Bold Fool!
    torco3 likes this.
    04-17-15 02:59 PM
    Stupid! Stupidity! Stupider!!!
    No micro sd expansion slot!?!? Epic fail in my opinion!

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    Just an FYI: it's 2015 now.
    04-17-15 04:19 PM
    That's because Samsung doesn't support their products. You'll be lucky if you even get an update along the road after 6 months from purchase.

Samsung is out to make a few quick bucks and say this is the greatest and latest hardware. They don't intend on spending money to focus on optimizing software or intend to launch an update. Well this is going to have a whiplash at them as the customers are not stupid and will never comeback to Samsung for their lack of support.

Very true. I remember being on samsung. It feels pretty terrible when they come out with another phone that trumps the last one. They even use the prior as a benchmark. I'm not just talking S5 to S6, I'm saying Note 4 to S6. They make you feel like the phone you just purchased a few months ago is useless.

Posted via CB10

Long live the most delicious fruit on the planet.
    04-17-15 04:55 PM
    Just an FYI: it's 2015 now.
    It IS 2015...and there are still places where you lose a signal. Cloud storage does not work well for everything. Also, why build different models of phone with different storage when you can build one and let the consumer choose and upgrade storage as they see fit?
    lotuslanderz, Pcmx and lift like this.
    04-17-15 04:57 PM
    I began my Android journey coming from an iPhone when the S3 came along. After a few Sammys I switched to a Sony and then Nexus and saw the light in terms of what true Android is all about. I really don't see myself leaving BlackBerry anytime soon, but if I went back to Android, there's no way I would return to Samsung unless they offered a GPe variant or the dev community had a working port.

All the **** they market as the next big thing is actually what makes their devices crap, IMO. Just give me the hardware with stock Android. I'll add what I want with Xposed.
    Yeah, I like the Nexus 5 for straight up Android. The edge on the S6 looks interesting but as someone previously said with those hardware specs I think the reduced battery life would tick me off. Passport obviously has great battery life as does my IP6. But out of all three I just love the extra wide screen on the PP, touch capacitive keyboard, shortcuts and Hub.
    04-17-15 05:46 PM
    Ok, Day three with the Edge. I'll try and answer some of the questions in the thread and more observations.

1) Battery life is decent. Yes, the Passport probably runs longer. But the Edge charges really quick and also has Qi wireless, which I am looking forward to trying. I got through a day of normal use with about 40% left. Also Android has an awesome feature where it goes into ultra batt save mode where you can still get calls and txts. It boosts the remaining time to something like 4x. eg 30 min remaining may go to 2 hours.

2) Yes I love the BB calendar. It is clean and professional. I love the reminders as well. I love growing numbers.

3) The screen on the Edge is clearly way better than the PP. It is brighter and sharper. The PP is no slouch though.

4) Edge build quality is nice. I say it is better than the iphone 6 by far. It is not the rock solid "I could self defend myself with the corners - this thing will last two decades without a case " of the PP though.

5) The current android is PACKED full of features. There are so many settings and good stuff. I have to say they all work quite well.
    Eg Motion and gestures, Voice commands on the camera. "Smile", Easy mode.

6) BBM on the Edge, is ok. For some reason BBM has to keep a notification bar open (you can not dismiss it) which is super annoying.

7) Yea I am lucky to be able to have a work provided Edge. I'm not a device junky.... maybe a new one every two years. PP was a personal purchase as was the Z10. I had most iterations of the iphone, 1,3,4,5.

Couple other things I miss from the PP:

1) Swipe up to close app. This gesture is brilliant. I still keep doing that.
    2) The hub is still cool. Also, I think the PP's notifications are still easier to manage.
    3) I sometimes miss the square size!

Dunno, I think the PP is more like a computer/ tablet replacement. The Edge is more of a true mobile device that you carry in your pocket.
    04-18-15 02:41 AM
    Oh yea, the no SD card is kind of a bummer. It was awesome to slot in a 64gb SD card into the PP.

Also, the PP phone audio quality kills it. Also the PP speakerphone still is way better. I will miss that. Also. I like that you can access the sim without that stupid pin/paperclip thingy
    04-18-15 02:54 AM
    Really tempted to get the edge my self. It's look so beautiful!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 02:59 AM
    BBM on android keeps the icon on status bar but that can be removed from the app settings.
    I see the edge more like a media device although I think the speakers are not as good as the pp. Pp on the other hand is business oriented.

Posted via CB10
    ptpete likes this.
    04-18-15 03:34 AM
    Stupid! Stupidity! Stupider!!!
    No micro sd expansion slot!?!? Epic fail in my opinion!

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    They are trying their best to copy Apple to a T.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 03:55 AM
    Absolute BS, I've seen so many iphone 6 and 6+'s and all of them are bent out shape. Whereas I've seen about 10 Passport's and none of them are more prone to bending than the iphone 6's.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed, I've lost count of the number of broken iphones I've seen. Screens smashed, scratched to hell and back, and so easy *because* of the design choices.

My BlackBerry Passport gets constant abuse and looks great. And every time I go anywhere people ask what it is, because it's actually different and does stand out from the touchscreen clone families.

Plus, I'm normally the one still using mine in the early hours when everyone else has run out of juice.

Suits me!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 04:15 AM
121 1234 ...