I now understand what you are saying about the sales and the marketing campaign that would compliment them.

I don't think BlackBerry needs to spend half a billion in marketing the devices but rather market them in a smarter fashion. I have no idea of marketing costs when it comes to television advertising but if it were up to me I would spread it through as many mediums as possible.

I'm confident that the Passport and the Classic will be successful. It will only be a matter of time before the general public realizes that a BlackBerry can do nearly everything an iphone or android device can do and that is when the turn is truly going to happen.

I would market the devices running Netflix, Instagram, popular games and other popular apps to showcase the app gap closing first and foremost.

Posted via Q10
    09-07-14 07:52 PM
    Delay the phone for months so you can release it after the superbowl?????

I'd say no offence but I hope you take at least a little offence to this.

WORST IDEA EVER!!!!
    09-08-14 01:34 PM
    hmmm it seems marketing and pricepoint sells, not the quality of the product.

(i.e. CFL vs nfl, SATURN vs buick, GREY CUP vs super bowl, BB vs apple, . . . . .)
    09-08-14 01:45 PM
    You don't need to do it at the super bowl because those advertisements cost way too much, better off spending money advertising more wisely

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 02:15 PM
    hahahahahahahaha this must be a joke.
    09-08-14 02:55 PM
    They had a Super Bowl ad for Z10. It was horrible. They showed what the phone can't do, all while not letting people it was new or different from BBOS. BlackBerry is inept!

They did an ad for Super Bowl for a device you couldn't buy in the US until two months later and didn't explain it was a new device.

They missed last holiday season with the Z30 and released it on one carrier in US with no other way to buy it.

With the Passport they have now missed the US Federal Government's end of fiscal year spend fest when everyone is unloading all the money they have so they get the same next FY. Spending will tighten up again until about July August next year.

BES12 still not here giving people plenty of time to run the other MDM solutions through their paces.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    motec bb likes this.
    09-08-14 03:32 PM
    Wouldn't BBRY miss the holiday season, if they were to release it after the Super Bowl? People would like to spend some $$$ during the holidays to get gifts for family and friends, or even have an excuse to get themselves a gift. That's also when a lot of companies run a lot of promotion, Black Friday sales all the way until Christmas to get people to spend spend spend.

Also, people have been waiting for a new device and with all of the talk and leaked photos, if BBRY waited even longer than they are, people will really be (more) pissed off than they are now. They need to release a phone soon and capture as much of the market share as they can. Keeping what they have is the most important, but also trying to bring back some ex-BB users as well.

They don't want to have another flop release, like they did with the Z10 (and Q10). Chen is doing some great things, so we just have to hope that he has a great plan for the release.
    09-08-14 05:21 PM
    Delay the phone for months so you can release it after the superbowl?????

I'd say no offence but I hope you take at least a little offence to this.

WORST IDEA EVER!!!!
    The problem blackberry has is announcing devices way before their release. The devices lose their "hotness" in the market. People forget about them. You're on crackberry. You know about the passport, but most of the world have no idea that blackberry is nearly ready to release 2 or 3 new devices. And it's "offense" not "offence"

You don't get the bigger picture. They're not trying only to satisfy the smaller Hardcore market like we have here on crackberry. They're trying to bring back all of the users that migrated to other platforms. Releasing a device around the same WEEK as the iphone? THAT'S the worst idea ever genius. Passport seems like it's going to be overshadowed by the release of the iphone in the next couple weeks. All eyes and wallets will be on apples side and people will be asking "passport what?". I love blackberry and I want them to succeed but releasing a device the same time as the iphone, in my opinion is stupid. The holidays? Fine, maybe towards the beginning of November, but not now. I just don't think it's a good time to let the world know you have a new flagship coming.

So think a little before you leave a sarcastic, misspelled, contributive lacking, intentionally offensive post. People like you annoy me more than those that troll around these forums.

Posted via Q10RR
    09-10-14 04:30 AM
    I have said it once and I will say it again, the people who are buying the iphone 6 aren't the people who are going to be interested in the Passport. Apple has people who blindly follow their brand, as does BlackBerry, granted Apple's fanbase is much larger but that's not the point, the point I'm trying to make is the Passport is for such a niche market that I don't think the Apple release is going to matter much.

I haven't cared about the last 3 iphone releases so why would I care about the one near the Passport which I am really excited about? I'm very hopeful and optimistic that BlackBerry isn't going anywhere and I believe they are to a point that releasing the phone near the next iphone release doesn't matter.

We need stores to have them on display, we also need those same stores to be excited about the device and talk it up rather than just showing the next iphone or Samsung and we need a marketing campaign that markets the Passport in front of the correct demographic.

Posted via Q10
    09-10-14 07:17 AM
    I have said it once and I will say it again, the people who are buying the iphone 6 aren't the people who are going to be interested in the Passport. Apple has people who blindly follow their brand, as does BlackBerry, granted Apple's fanbase is much larger but that's not the point, the point I'm trying to make is the Passport is for such a niche market that I don't think the Apple release is going to matter much.

I haven't cared about the last 3 iphone releases so why would I care about the one near the Passport which I am really excited about? I'm very hopeful and optimistic that BlackBerry isn't going anywhere and I believe they are to a point that releasing the phone near the next iphone release doesn't matter.

We need stores to have them on display, we also need those same stores to be excited about the device and talk it up rather than just showing the next iphone or Samsung and we need a marketing campaign that markets the Passport in front of the correct demographic.

Posted via Q10
    But you're not the only person out there that's interested in the passport. There are others that I'm sure are deciding between the two. Your word is not the end all be all. Not 100% of people who are looking at buying the new iphone are blindly following the company. You may overlook it and not care but there are plenty of people different from your needs and wants. Blackberry, to survive, needs to thwart the audience away from apple and back on themselves. If they continue the way they're going, there won't be a blackberry.

Blackberry needs to not only maintain their current fanbase but make it grow. Maintenance won't earn them much money year after year.

As for stores and carriers "talking up" the device. I'm sure you would think that through first. I've been in the business. I'm not losing commission trying to convince a customer to buy a blackberry when I can sell an android device for $30 more. Blackberry needs to work with the carriers to increase incentive for the salesman and the customer. By increasing spiff amounts on the selling of a device, the device sales go up. it's all about incentive.

Oh and you're wrong....there are plenty of people that fight with themselves over which device they would choose between the iphone 6 and passport. Plenty of them are people I know. I prefer blackberry, BUT given the screen size of the plus, if I were in the market for another device, I would probably choose the iphone 6Plus. My Q10 would win every time, but we're comparing passport and iphone here.

Posted via Q10RR
    09-10-14 08:59 AM
    Having a release after the holidays is the dumbest thing you can do. people are getting new phones at the great prices at that time and BB wants people to wait until all the good deals are gone and then pay a large price for the passport. Die hards will wait but the on the fencers will have already got their new phone. So once again BB will loose out and everyone will be up in arms as to why the BB is not selling and why carries do now want the BB in stores. SMDH
    09-10-14 09:33 AM
    Having a release after the holidays is the dumbest thing you can do. people are getting new phones at the great prices at that time and BB wants people to wait until all the good deals are gone and then pay a large price for the passport. Die hards will wait but the on the fencers will have already got their new phone. So once again BB will loose out and everyone will be up in arms as to why the BB is not selling and why carries do now want the BB in stores. SMDH
    Samsung releases their galaxy S devices after the holidays, they must be idiots then since it's such an unsuccessful phone

Posted via Q10RR
    09-10-14 10:03 AM
    When you do not have a great track record in the public eye you should want to try and do a release when people are looking to buy new phones

Samsung releases their galaxy S devices after the holidays, they must be idiots then since it's such an unsuccessful phone

Posted via Q10RR
    09-10-14 10:22 AM
    Track record is past tense, not present tense. They should have shot for the beginning november if anything

Posted via Q10RR
    09-10-14 10:54 AM
    I think using that 1M just to advertise with billboard ,newspapers or just radio commercials
    Put it this way... a full spread AD in the New York or LA Times, Chicago Tribune, any major paper will burn you about $200k. There's a reason why major companies that push consumer products have ad and marketing budgets in the tens to hundreds of millions. BB does not have it nor do they want to spend that kind of coin.
    09-10-14 11:22 AM
    Now that would make more sense then after the holidays. I am hoping for that or sooner for a release date seeing how Apple is releasing next week

Track record is past tense, not present tense. They should have shot for the beginning november if anything

Posted via Q10RR
    09-10-14 11:25 AM
    Hmm you must have missed the last time they tried this.

Posted via CB10
    CREEPY...you wrote exactly what I was thinking before I read your post.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    09-10-14 11:33 AM
    Put it this way... a full spread AD in the New York or LA Times, Chicago Tribune, any major paper will burn you about $200k. There's a reason why major companies that push consumer products have ad and marketing budgets in the tens to hundreds of millions. BB does not have it nor do they want to spend that kind of coin.
    Something blackberry is missing with the whole marketing thing......you have to SPEND money to MAKE money. It's a simple principle and although they don't have much of it, they need to utilize their resources in remodeling their name. Many people think that blackberry is dead. I can't count how many times people ask me why I have an old blackberry.

"Well sorry sir, it's actually BB10 and....oh nvm, it has a touchscreen, look!"

And THEN they say wow :O.

Problem is that blackberry can't soley rely on word of mouth at this point. They have to invest in themselves and it seems like they're not doing that. Investing millions on a device? Fine, but have the marketing behind it or no one will ever know that it even exists.

Posted via Q10RR
    09-10-14 02:16 PM
    Now that would make more sense then after the holidays. I am hoping for that or sooner for a release date seeing how Apple is releasing next week
    Well passport may be coming out this month or early next month. Apparently the classic is a november release. From what I read here on crackberry that is..

Posted via Q10RR
    09-10-14 02:17 PM
44 12