Wouldn't this make more sense? Buy an AD space for blackberry for a 30 second commercial to attract MILLIONS of consumers?

Think about what people ask you when they see your BB10 device:

"Hey, I didn't know they still made BB."

Consumers are nearly completely unaware of the new BB10 devices over a year after their release. Wouldn't the super bowl help change all that? Or at least some of it?

I think they could make a great commercial. Doesn't need to be funny. Make everyone wonder for the first 5-15 seconds what they're looking at on the screen, and BAM passport, or BAM classic. Releasing a device alongside the iphone is stupid. Whether we like it or not, the passport will be overshadowed by whatever apple releases. Even if they literally released a banana looking phone, a complete flop.

I'm not a business man, and I may have a completely awful outlook on all of this, but I was wondering what you all thought.

Forget about wanting the device RIGHT NOW. Think about how well Blackberry could do if they released a Passport the day after the super bowl.

Posted via Q10RR
    09-06-14 04:26 PM
    Wouldn't this make more sense? Buy an AD space for blackberry for a 30 second commercial to attract MILLIONS of consumers?

Think about what people ask you when they see your BB10 device:

"Hey, I didn't know they still made BB."

Consumers are nearly completely unaware of the new BB10 devices over a year after their release. Wouldn't the super bowl help change all that? Or at least some of it?

I think they could make a great commercial. Doesn't need to be funny. Make everyone wonder for the first 5-15 seconds what they're looking at on the screen, and BAM passport, or BAM classic. Releasing a device alongside the iphone is stupid. Whether we like it or not, the passport will be overshadowed by whatever apple releases. Even if they literally released a banana looking phone, a complete flop.

I'm not a business man, and I may have a completely awful outlook on all of this, but I was wondering what you all thought.

Forget about wanting the device RIGHT NOW. Think about how well Blackberry could do if they released a Passport the day after the super bowl.

Posted via Q10RR
    I think that if Blackberry wants to catch any part of the consumer market, then their phones need to be released for the mega shopping season associated with the holidays. While I won't argue for or against a Superbowl commercial, since I don't want to rile up an angry hornets nest, February would be way too late.
    Bigbacala and Cracklen like this.
    09-06-14 04:34 PM
    The ad space spot for that specific event would probably be the price of their quarterly marketing budget.
    09-06-14 04:38 PM
    The Super Bowl is too far away and I think the Passport will be release in the US before the end of the year. Now having a Super Bowl ad for the release of a flagship all touch device might make sense, but it depends on if Chen wants to spend money on another super bowl ad given the result of last year ad.
    UKAsh, eldricho, saxxman and 1 others like this.
    09-06-14 05:16 PM
    Hmm you must have missed the last time they tried this.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 05:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    I honestly did miss it then.
    And I'm sorry, maybe I should have reworded the article. Let's forget the passport. Maybe another device? I truly believe in if there's a will, there's a way. They must be doing something wrong or not trying hard enough.

Posted via Q10RR
    09-06-14 05:56 PM
    I think using that 1M just to advertise with billboard ,newspapers or just radio commercials
    UKAsh likes this.
    09-06-14 06:00 PM
    I don't think US's market is targeted by Mr Chen.
    And as stated earlier, the former superbowl ad was kind of debacle...and a costly one.
    (that was for the BB10 launch and Z10 one)
    NtotheK likes this.
    09-06-14 06:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. No need to be embarrassed a second time lol

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 06:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    LOL.........

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 06:27 PM
    I honestly did miss it then.
    And I'm sorry, maybe I should have reworded the article. Let's forget the passport. Maybe another device? I truly believe in if there's a will, there's a way. They must be doing something wrong or not trying hard enough.

Posted via Q10RR
    Lol... The fact that you missed it should tell you how badly they messed it up.

Posted via CB10
    illlya likes this.
    09-06-14 06:29 PM
    I think the super bowl is tied strictly to the US, It would be great to have some presence, but I think they need help start sponsoring sports broadcasts in conjunction with a carrier. If I hear "Sprint Halftime report...sponsored by Sprint" while playing 2K14 I may murder someone, but the truth is that in the in-between of LeBron dunking or someone scoring a touchdown the commentators always have some bit to say about some product or service.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by iToya; 09-11-14 at 08:20 AM.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    09-07-14 06:21 AM
    Lol... The fact that you missed it should tell you how badly they messed it up.

Posted via CB10
    I don't watch football. I just know, like every other person that the super bowl is a huge event. Which is exactly why I missed the commercial lol.

Posted via Q10RR
    09-07-14 06:27 AM
    The Super Bowl is a showcase for interesting, attention-grabbing commercials. You're really going to pitch a wide keyboard phone and a retro Blackberry? Most people would think "Yikes".
    09-07-14 07:25 AM
    They should do a grey cup ad though (Canadian Football League)

Posted via CB10
    CrackMachine and Cracklen like this.
    09-07-14 08:40 AM
    Alright I'm in. Make sure to include them ducks too!

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 10:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Kinda like we say to someone who doesn't understand the local (BlackBerry) way of doing things:

"Ya ain't from 'round here, are ya boy?"

OP - nice thought, and likely shared by many BlackBerry fans (those of us in U.S. only, likely). But unless there is a major potential to "wow" the consumer mobile segment, OR unless a Super Bowl ad was tied to to a comprehensive lead-in then follow on marketing plan, it would probably be throwing good money after bad.

WE would like it. But zero impact on the bottom line is the outcome.

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    09-07-14 11:00 AM
    The ad space spot for that specific event would probably be the price of their quarterly marketing budget.
    This and they fact they could spread the money it would take for this ad across multiple platforms of advertising. I would like to see advertisement for the Passport in every airport I visit, across multiple TV stations, aimed particularly at the people who are going to be interested in the new device.

I feel the more people that see it over a 2-3 month span the better. It is tough to put all your money into one commercial

Posted via Q10
    09-07-14 03:19 PM
    This and they fact they could spread the money it would take for this ad across multiple platforms of advertising. I would like to see advertisement for the Passport in every airport I visit, across multiple TV stations, aimed particularly at the people who are going to be interested in the new device.

I feel the more people that see it over a 2-3 month span the better. It is tough to put all your money into one commercial

Posted via Q10
    I agree 100% with this

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by pttptppt; 09-07-14 at 03:40 PM.
    09-07-14 03:24 PM
    Remember the Windows Phone ad campaign? That only cost Microsoft $500M dollars. It was a good one with lots of the commercials you want.

Let's run some numbers. Let's say that a great campaign like this is a home-run and Blackberry sells 2 million Passports and 2 million Classics. That would mean each phone would have cost over $120 in ads.

Does that make any sense at all?

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/26/mic...ndows-phone-7/
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-07-14 03:35 PM
    Remember the Windows Phone ad campaign? That only cost Microsoft $500M dollars. It was a good one with lots of the commercials you want.

Let's run some numbers. Let's say that a great campaign like this is a home-run and Blackberry sells 2 million Passports and 2 million Classics. That would mean each phone would have cost over $120 in ads.

Based on the numbers you provide, no way. A commercial costing you $120 per sale?...no way to survive.
    09-07-14 03:51 PM
    There are phd's who analyze how to best spend billions of dollars in marketing dollars. What is the result of their studies on who watches football? Just look at the existing commercials: Beer, pizza and Ford trucks. Do you think this is the demographic BlackBerry should be going after with their limited budget?
    09-07-14 04:09 PM
    09-07-14 05:18 PM

Are you stating that these numbers would make the decision a failure? I want to make sure of what you are saying before I respond.

I for one am hoping the Passport and Classic both sell better than 2 million units each.

Posted via Q10
    09-07-14 05:38 PM
    Well, since JC has set his sights on 10 million units per year, I just figure that more than half of those units can't end up being Passports and Classics. They have plenty of other legacy devices that are sitting in stores and being deployed already.

For arguments sake, though, let's double those sales figures to a whopping total of 8 million units of Passport and Classic combined. An all-out Windows Phone-style $500M marketing blitz would still cost over $60 per phone. It still seems high to me.

My point is that Blackberry doesn't have the scale to do mass market campaigns. There's no way that JC would risk the company like that on a couple of products that aren't the long-term focus of the business.
    09-07-14 07:09 PM
44 12