See, the thing is they do. The Passport WILL be drowned out by the iPhone 6 if indeed they release it in September.

Although they are different devices and are aimed at slightly different markets, the fact is that the news outlets and mediums for both are the same: technology and financial news.

The iPhone 6 will command the full focus of technology news and will also no doubt generate countless financial reports on sales and opening days and whatnot.

So where would that leave the Passport? Crackberry and possibly an afterthought or subheading on a few tech websites. Releasing the Passport in September and even October would be a terrible choice on BlackBerry's part.

Posted via CB10
    IPhone 6, Sony Xperia Z3, Lumia 730 &830, Galaxy Note 4, Nexus X, Moto X+1 etc. Passport has 0 chance in September
    08-31-14 02:20 AM
    With BlackBerry one can always put a at least 4-week-addition on rumored release dates and you're fine!

I think mid October the Passport is out worldwide THE EARLIEST!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    08-31-14 02:32 AM
    There is little to no chance to get a guy who is standing in the long line in front of an apple store to buy anything other than the new iPhone. Period - Even if you give him the Passport for free.

But if you have some passports present in big companies and on airports - that's a different story.

GuyA: oh that's a new BlackBerry? Looks crazy!

GuyB: yeah, that is the BlackBerry Passport! Really like the big display.

GuyA: I have to ask if I can get one instead of my 9900!

And that's when BlackBerry should have done everything to make them available all over the world especially for business customers.

Being one month late is better than having it not available to 99% of your possible customers. Business guys don't care and ask daily for updates. They ask and if the phone is not available, they take something else...
    08-31-14 05:51 AM
    i am waiting to be a part of the long line to buy iphne 6
    Once u r there look for that guy holding the Passport still being productive even after 15 hours of line!

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 06:04 AM
    as usual
    I completely agree with you! I thought John Chen was in-charge. Here goes the whining of "blackberry bosses."
    08-31-14 06:33 AM
    See, the thing is they do. The Passport WILL be drowned out by the iPhone 6 if indeed they release it in September.
    The situation is far worse than this. NOBODY outside of a tiny group of BlackBerry fans has ever heard of the Passport and never will, at least in America.

I work in the tech hub of America, Silicon Valley, where everybody has a bunch of gadgets and reads all the tech blogs and keeps up with all the latest toys, and I am literally the only person I know that has ever heard of the Passport.

There is nothing to "drown out" because the Passport effectively will not exist to the American market.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 08:12 AM
    i am waiting to be a part of the long line to buy iphne 6
    And your spelling confirms it. Every iPhone user who types more than a few words on that keyboard comes across as semi-literate.

Posted via CB10
    Burton79 likes this.
    08-31-14 09:19 AM
    And your spelling confirms it. Every iPhone user who types more than a few words on that keyboard comes across as semi-literate.

Posted via CB10
    He was being sarcastic, so you fail.

The situation is far worse than this. NOBODY outside of a tiny group of BlackBerry fans has ever heard of the Passport and never will, at least in America.

I work in the tech hub of America, Silicon Valley, where everybody has a bunch of gadgets and reads all the tech blogs and keeps up with all the latest toys, and I am literally the only person I know that has ever heard of the Passport.

There is nothing to "drown out" because the Passport effectively will not exist to the American market.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting that you mention that. I spoke to one of the busiest Wireless Wave shops in Vancouver, BC, Canada, in the largest mall in BC, Metrotown. They literally have not heard anything about the Passport and as of right now have no known plans to retail any "new" BlackBerry device. The rep did indicate that this may of course change, however this is the status as of right now.

Now, while it is just one retailer, the prominence of that retailer and the location would dictate that if they did have plans at this stage to offer the new BlackBerry devices for sale, this location would be one of the first to know and get the devices. As of right now, it seems that the Passport availability will be extremely limited.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 10:45 AM
    I like "the new iphone events" every year. I call my buddies applehood to question when they can't afford to upgrade, and then listen to all the excuses why it's not much of an upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 10:56 AM
    The iPhone 6 release and the Passport release have no effect on each other whatsoever. I will likely get both devices, whenever they come out. I doubt there's many people in the world that were going to get a Passport, then decide "Nevermind, I'll just get an iPhone because it came out 2 weeks faster."
    this is pretty much what I was about to write.
    sunetos likes this.
    08-31-14 11:16 AM
    Hey gang,

So iPhone has an official launch date now, and it's in September. What does this mean for the Passport launch?

Will it be before Sept 9? Or after?

Is the thunder now lost?

Wondering, and still eagerly awaiting the passport!

J
    Given that anything BlackBerry has been given the thumbs down, and some online tech mags have taken down their BB sections does it really matter anymore ? I'll be awaiting my Passport. I won't even think of beating the iPhone / BlackBerry horse anymore.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-31-14 04:40 PM
61 123