Plenty of small business owners buy from carriers, yet our phone needs are different from consumers'. Just because I don't run a BES server doesn't mean that I wouldn't appreciate a business focused device. I'm looking forward to trying it out in my local Telus store, which has been providing me with small business mobile plans for about 5 years now.

Posted via CB10
    stevobbm likes this.
    08-30-14 09:00 AM
    As for seeing phones at the carrier stores in the past 2 months while working to get my Q10 repaired/replaced, I was inside 5 different Sprint stores both corporate and otherwise, guess what.....not a single blackberry in sight, every store would have to order a phone, as they had ZERO stock.

Posted via CB10
    I was in an ATT store the other day. Had Q10 and Z10 display models. Pretty impressed.

But really, what reason would these shops have for keeping BBRY phones available in stores/in stock? They're really very old by cell phone standards, so I can't blame any carrier for not having them in-store. The specs were outdated at launch, and the market is competitive.

Hopefully the Passport and the Classic will turn things around, and then we'll get a new touchscreen phone in early 2015.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 10:34 AM
    Since BlackBerry is incapable of releasing devices on time and in any sort of effective fashion, you can expect the Passport launch to happen in late September, followed by actual retail availability about 1 - 1.5 months later, and only in select markets.

Posted via CB10
    Yes BlackBerry is too slow in bringing devices and they also do over pricing. I think the BlackBerry management needs to go for aggressive pricing.
    08-30-14 11:00 AM
    No effing matter who the Passport aims at,

* it has a gigantic bright and high PPI screen that's the widest in the entire marketplace
    * it has a gigantic battery in it
    * it has a hardware keyboard
    * that keyboard happens to be a capacitive touch interface
    * it has a 13MP camera with OIS
    * it has crazy loud stereo speakers
    * it has a Paratek antenna
    * it has rubber for grip and steel for sturdiness and durability
    * it has 3 Gigs of RAM

All these points already set it heavily apart from the iPhone 6. No matter the buzz, the Passport is a clear alternative to the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Katika99 likes this.
    08-30-14 12:07 PM
    Blackberry is in the consumer market otherwise you will not see the devices at carriers stores since Enterprise do not buy from stores. They chose to "refocus" on enterprise because they failed in the consumer market, which is the most important and the most lucrative. Stop saying they focus on this and not that without underscore their failures in provide cutting edge devices and not a just email centric device which fails and everything else. Consumers will not come back if the devices they offer will not be much better and what they have in the pipeline cannot compete not even with last year flagships.
    Couldnt agree more. Gone are the days when a company can target a certain stream of customers. You gotta be versatile.. iOS is quite popular amongst corporate users.. I have many in my workplace.
    08-30-14 12:21 PM
    No effing matter who the Passport aims at,

* it has a gigantic bright and high PPI screen that's the widest in the entire marketplace
    * it has a gigantic battery in it
    * it has a hardware keyboard
    * that keyboard happens to be a capacitive touch interface
    * it has a 13MP camera with OIS
    * it has crazy loud stereo speakers
    * it has a Paratek antenna
    * it has rubber for grip and steel for sturdiness and durability
    * it has 3 Gigs of RAM

All these points already set it heavily apart from the iPhone 6. No matter the buzz, the Passport is a clear alternative to the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, but what a amateur post it is! Passport and iPhone 6 are TOTALLY two different devices and cannot be compared. Anyhow, good luck with Passport and no, no troll. I like BlackBerry.
    08-30-14 12:24 PM
    Sorry, but what a amateur post it is! Passport and iPhone 6 are TOTALLY two different devices and cannot be compared. Anyhow, good luck with Passport and no, no troll. I like BlackBerry.
    Yes and that was exactly my point when I said "clear alternative". That means anyone who is amenable to such a form factor and keyboard won't be distracted by an iPhone. And even in the sheer hardware department the Passport has strong things going for it.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 01:00 PM
    I'm not sure of a release date. But, we know how much noise Apple and the release of the iPhone 6 will have. We, BlackBerry, should have released the Passport already. We'll be muted by Apple now. Just my opinion...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    agarwal.apar likes this.
    08-30-14 01:02 PM
    Those of us who want the Passport won't be swayed by the iSheep phone.

I do think BlackBerry should think out of the box and show off the Passport at EVERY high profile release in the near future. This is a GREAT idea no matter who the target market is.

Cheap to implement and would be highly effective.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 01:37 PM
    Those of us who want the Passport won't be swayed by the iSheep phone.

I do think BlackBerry should think out of the box and show off the Passport at EVERY high profile release in the near future. This is a GREAT idea no matter who the target market is.

Cheap to implement and would be highly effective.

Posted via CB10
    Ironic that you say this because I want the Passport but I am also going to give the iPhone 6 a try as long as they come out with a large screen device.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 03:48 PM
    The iPhone 6 release and the Passport release have no effect on each other whatsoever. I will likely get both devices, whenever they come out. I doubt there's many people in the world that were going to get a Passport, then decide "Nevermind, I'll just get an iPhone because it came out 2 weeks faster."
    08-30-14 03:53 PM
    Passport would be no match to the iphone 6 when it comes to sales. Even today, the "old" iphone 5s is selling more than any other phone out there, including samsungs last flagship phones
    anon(153966) likes this.
    08-30-14 03:54 PM
    I'm not suggesting any comparison as far as sales figures.

If a "camp out" campaign was implemented and they were able to convert 1% of those in line and also increase awareness that BlackBerry is relevant it would be a smashing success.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 04:22 PM
    I like how people keep saying the launch date doesn't matter because they are targeting two different audiences. Well, let me enlighten you folks, a "business/enteprise" employee/owner can also buy an iPhone.
    They're not going to make the necessary research to look into what smartphone caters their need best simply because they've been using an iphone for years and due to the lack of marketing they are not aware of what they might be missing.
    What I'm trying to say is that both professionals and consumers buy iphones and for the majority of them IOS is the way to go.
    A couple of weeks after the release of the iPhone, their decision will have already been made, and it will be too late.
    I hope JC realizes this and eat some of Apple's lunch or the "meal"(audience) he's targeting.
    BlackBerry should not hope for the audience to make the right choice but rather educate the audience about the right choice.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 04:58 PM
    And that wouldn't cost them a fortune either.

Posted via CB10
    I'd do it for free as long as they gave me a Passport.
    08-30-14 05:43 PM
    I'd do it for free as long as they gave me a Passport.
    Then it wouldn't be free would it.

Posted via CB10
    AbAll87 likes this.
    08-30-14 06:02 PM
    Without carrier support in the U.S., the Passport will look like $400+ (with aggressive pricing, for example), whereas the iPhone 6 will look like $199 (subsidized) to the /average consumer/. Release date doesn't matter for adoption with this price discrepancy. Release date will matter for press coverage, though. A week before/after is about right, as others have suggested.
    08-30-14 06:19 PM
    Earlier in this thread it was suggested that BlackBerry post people at the iSheep launch line with Passports and show off the features to create more buzz. I think that's a good idea.

This makes me think of the following which I believe are truths.

Apple is a marketing company that also makes phones.

Samsung is a company catering to the masses with the spec wars.

BlackBerry is a company that makes incredible phones, now, and doesn't market worth a damn.

However I hope this is changing.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 06:52 PM
    Earlier in this thread it was suggested that BlackBerry post people at the iSheep launch line with Passports and show off the features to create more buzz. I think that's a good idea.

This makes me think of the following which I believe are truths.

Apple is a marketing company that also makes phones.

Samsung is a company catering to the masses with the spec wars.

BlackBerry is a company that makes incredible phones, now, and doesn't market worth a damn.

However I hope this is changing.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is "BlackBerry is a company that makes incredible phones..." is just your opinion. In truth they make so-so phones with an incomplete OS that has almost no 3rd Party Support. While the Passport has very good hardware for a BlackBerry... it isn't really better than the other flagship devices this fall. And while BB10.3 has come a LONG way in the last year and has a number of great features.... it's missing a really WOW factor (maybe Blend will be that). But the ecosystem problem is bad and only going to get worse. Spending money on marketing really wouldn't change anything with the products that BlackBerry has. Thus as Chen in planning the Passport, Classic and Z3LTE are going to have an enterprise focus.

But some of you believe that the Passport and the iPhone 6 are aimed at different markets.... there are plenty of CEO's that are using iPhones. I think the Passport is going to have a very hard time outside the fan base.....
    08-30-14 09:44 PM
    Time will tell, and we'll all have the answers soon. But, I will ask this, what is BBRY's financial year, Jan to Dec, or Oct to Sep? I believe if it is Oct to Sep, we won't see the Passport till late Oct, or even Jan 2015. Just saying...
    08-30-14 09:52 PM
    i am waiting to be a part of the long line to buy iphne 6
    08-30-14 09:52 PM
    Time will tell, and we'll all have the answers soon. But, I will ask this, what is BBRY's financial year, Jan to Dec, or Oct to Sep? I believe if it is Oct to Sep, we won't see the Passport till late Oct, or even Jan 2015. Just saying...
    You're crazy. Jan 2015?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 11:23 PM
    You know that is just Q2 2015, right?

You're crazy. Jan 2015?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 12:03 AM
    What thunder? the passport will sell in the thousands, the iphone in the millions, releasing it before or after will not have any impact on sales. People here are too optimistic about the Passport, it will follow the same sale path as all other BB10 devices. Here it will be hailed as a success but when you take into account what the other guys sell, it will be a total flop.
    Although I agree with most of what you said, I don't think it matters anymore what BlackBerry sells vs Apple & Samsung. What matters is if they can continue to sell more than the previous quarter. These small steps is what is needed for BlackBerry, not selling 10+ million devices, although that would be nice, it's not realistic.

Via The BlackBerry Z30 experience!
    08-31-14 01:15 AM
    The iPhone 6 release and the Passport release have no effect on each other whatsoever. I will likely get both devices, whenever they come out. I doubt there's many people in the world that were going to get a Passport, then decide "Nevermind, I'll just get an iPhone because it came out 2 weeks faster."
    See, the thing is they do. The Passport WILL be drowned out by the iPhone 6 if indeed they release it in September.

Although they are different devices and are aimed at slightly different markets, the fact is that the news outlets and mediums for both are the same: technology and financial news.

The iPhone 6 will command the full focus of technology news and will also no doubt generate countless financial reports on sales and opening days and whatnot.

So where would that leave the Passport? Crackberry and possibly an afterthought or subheading on a few tech websites. Releasing the Passport in September and even October would be a terrible choice on BlackBerry's part.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 01:36 AM
61 123