Hello fellow Passport user friends.

After recent events (The slowly communistic data overthrow by big tech), I'm going to go back to my trusty old Passport. What an amazing phone! I plan to use it for Text/Email/Phone calls. I have got Telegram, Kewi, BB App World and various other apps (LED/Bat Boost etc) to work perfectly.

How, I sense some disturbance in the force - namly, 1) Vodaphone are apparently stopping 3G and 2) BB are shutting down thier infrastructure / servers.

1) I have got a new contract (SIM) with Vodaphone and did ask - due to the age of the phone - were there any issues now or in the near future that would stop me from full functionality on the phone. They said no, but there are articles that mention somtime this year (my contract was for 2 years). Now, the BB Pass does use 3G/4G - does this mean I can still use 4G if they stop 3G?

2) Whats this about BB shutting down thier BB servers, will this happen within the next 2 years? I have read that you could wipe, reinstall and forgo instigating the BBID process, is this true?

Surely this cant be the end of the BB Passport, its too much of a good phone.

Thank you for any and all information,

Spence
    01-14-21 04:55 AM

After recent events (The slowly communistic data overthrow by big tech), I'm going to go back to my trusty old Passport. What an amazing phone! I plan to use it for Text/Email/Phone calls. I have got Telegram, Kewi, BB App World and various other apps (LED/Bat Boost etc) to work perfectly.

How, I sense some disturbance in the force - namly, 1) Vodaphone are apparently stopping 3G and 2) BB are shutting down thier infrastructure / servers.

1) I have got a new contract (SIM) with Vodaphone and did ask - due to the age of the phone - were there any issues now or in the near future that would stop me from full functionality on the phone. They said no, but there are articles that mention somtime this year (my contract was for 2 years). Now, the BB Pass does use 3G/4G - does this mean I can still use 4G if they stop 3G?

2) Whats this about BB shutting down thier BB servers, will this happen within the next 2 years? I have read that you could wipe, reinstall and forgo instigating the BBID process, is this true?

Spence
    On point 1 there is a lot of discussion on the forum that the shutdown of 3G will render BB10 phones unable to make calls as they don’t use VoLTE, I’m not an expert on this but it doesn’t look good later this year I believe.

On point 2, you have a year before BlackBerry shut down the servers so in my opinion all things considered you are a bit late yes.

The passport may or may not work quite soon.

The alternative is to use a more up to date device but not install the apps that you aren’t comfortable with. You can use a modern device in the same way you want to use the passport but you’ll also have the option to use your bank’s mobile banking app for instance and other apps you may find useful, that just aren’t available for the passport.

Good luck with which ever option you choose.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-14-21 07:51 AM

Spence
    When 3G goes, so likely will talk and text on BB10 devices.

The demise of BlackBerry backend services at the end of this year will cause various problems. There are some ways to mitigate them, but they in turn cause other problems.

But what can the Passport do to "protect" you from big tech?
    01-14-21 07:55 AM

Spence
    Too be honest... no one is 100% sure.

1) When you carrier ends 3G, they will be using VoLTE for voice over LTE. Sees the early LTE devices will not support the newest of these standard (not just a BlackBerry issue but all old LTE phone issue).

2) Early next year is when BlackBerry is ending some services. Agian we don't know if it's all or just some. If activation servers go down for good.... you won't be able to go through the setup process ever again. But the phone may work if it's already setup without BBID account. But that means only sideloaded apps, which is limiting
    01-14-21 08:00 AM
    On point 1 there is a lot of discussion on the forum that the shutdown of 3G will render BB10 phones unable to make calls as they don’t use VoLTE, I’m not an expert on this but it doesn’t look good later this year I believe.

On point 2, you have a year before BlackBerry shut down the servers so in my opinion all things considered you are a bit late yes.

The passport may or may not work quite soon.

The alternative is to use a more up to date device but not install the apps that you aren’t comfortable with. You can use a modern device in the same way you want to use the passport but you’ll also have the option to use your bank’s mobile banking app for instance and other apps you may find useful, that just aren’t available for the passport.

Good luck with which ever option you choose.
    Hi M3ach,

Thanks for the response. Am I wrong in saying the BB Passport - via the optional Network Mode - can support 4G & 3G, so if 3G gets killed it can still use 4G?

Thanks bud
    01-14-21 09:37 AM
    Hi M3ach,

Thanks for the response. Am I wrong in saying the BB Passport is 3G/4G though, so if 3G is dismantled, then phone can still use 4G?
    Don't confuse 4G/LTE with VoLTE. You need the latter to be able to use voice and SMS on 4G/LTE networks.

A 4G/LTE phone has to be both capable and whitelisted to use VoLTE.
    01-14-21 09:40 AM
    Don't confuse 4G/LTE with VoLTE. You need the latter to be able to use voice and SMS on 4G/LTE networks.

A 4G/LTE phone has to be both capable and whitelisted to use VoLTE.
    Ok, thanks bud - such a shame. Great phone.
    01-14-21 09:56 AM
    Ok, thanks bud - such a shame. Great phone.
    As conite and DDD have explained much better than I could it’s a bit late in the BB10 lifecycle to expect much more time from the passport.

BB10 went end of life a long time ago now so enjoy it while you can, then you’ll need to move on.

Make sure you have an exit strategy and everything backed up from the passport in an open format, not a Link backup as this will require your BBID to use. You can use something like Ultimate Backup or have your phone synced to the cloud.

Also ensure you do not encrypted any SD card you may have in the phone as you may lose the data on this too.
    01-14-21 11:49 AM
    According to AT&T in the states the Passport is one of the BB devices that will live on...................Long Live The Godfather of Phones! !
    Attached Thumbnails Passport rekindled - Too late?-gf.jpg  
    01-15-21 06:18 PM
    As conite and DDD have explained much better than I could it’s a bit late in the BB10 lifecycle to expect much more time from the passport.

BB10 went end of life a long time ago now so enjoy it while you can, then you’ll need to move on.

Make sure you have an exit strategy and everything backed up from the passport in an open format, not a Link backup as this will require your BBID to use. You can use something like Ultimate Backup or have your phone synced to the cloud.

Also ensure you do not encrypted any SD card you may have in the phone as you may lose the data on this too.
    Ok bud, thanks for the tips.
    01-16-21 12:08 PM
    According to AT&T in the states the Passport is one of the BB devices that will live on...................Long Live The Godfather of Phones! !
    Can you point to a link on the AT&T site showing support for the Passport. The latest update from January 13th only shows two BlackBerry phones.

Here is what I get when I select the BlackBerry Passport from the list of AT&T devices linked on the 3G Page. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=WFAUZ6Hb
    01-20-21 11:52 AM
    Can you point to a link on the AT&T site showing support for the Passport. The latest update from January 13th only shows two BlackBerry phones.

Here is what I get when I select the BlackBerry Passport from the list of AT&T devices linked on the 3G Page. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=pCL4p05Z
    All he has is someone at AT&T told him.... and I guess he edited the list he posted to add it, which is why the model number and font spacing was "off".

But the AT&T shutdown is a year off.... no need to worry about it right now. Lot's of other things could happen before then... dreaded Passport network error, battery failure, BlackBerry Server Shutdown next year, COVID20, Life ending Asteroid....
    01-20-21 12:07 PM
    Th font was not off as it was not edited, that said the person who I spoke to is a senior rep not some flunkie. This almost reminds me of the days when I posted the Priv (when it first came out had heating issues.) People went over the top. Makes me laugh
    01-20-21 04:28 PM
    As always and I did say in a latter post the the list was fluid and has changed at least 3 times maybe 4. But as always on this site its blah blah..............................
    01-20-21 04:29 PM
    a sane posting
    01-20-21 04:30 PM
    Th font was not off as it was not edited, that said the person who I spoke to is a senior rep not some flunkie. This almost reminds me of the days when I posted the Priv (when it first came out had heating issues.) People went over the top. Makes me laugh
    Sorry but someone didn't provide a space between the bullet point that the model number.... every other device on the list did have a space.

Why was there two BlackBerry headings... one with and one without the Passport?

Why was it not even the AT&T Passport model number?

In the end why can't you post a link or screen shot ?

I do know that it is possible for devices with the 801 chipset to be capable of VoLTE... if they have been updated and the carrier adds them to their device list. I don't discount that the Passport might be supported, or that even other BB10 devices might work. As yes, list aren't always all inclusive.

But again think it's a moot point in a year anyway.... either AT&T drops them or BlackBerry castrates them.
    01-20-21 04:41 PM
    First I did post a link, second all I did was copy and paste. the original would not post so I had to put into word that copy. Two and most important who cares.
    01-20-21 04:50 PM
    a sane posting
    You should quote posts so we know who you're responding too.
    01-20-21 05:01 PM
    You should quote posts so we know who you're responding too.
    Sorry about that.
    01-20-21 05:09 PM
    Congrats! Welcome to the sinking ship.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-21 12:16 AM