Hello Forum,

I'm hoping you can help me out here. On Sunday, I woke to my PP drained more than it should be and when I was checking my message, it gave some kind of spark and auto-rebooted. I thought it was just a fluked and went ahead and charged it. Later after being fully charged, while texting a response to a friend, it gave another spark and then the keyboard was making this noise. I noticed it would do this if I used the swipe function during my reply so I went ahead and typed my reply out and hit send without further issue. Later that day, a friend texted me and my phone sparked again, auto re-booted again and there was this burning smell. I then thought it best to turn off my PP and let it 'cool off' for a couple of days.

Today, I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't. I didn't even get the dead battery icon. But I plugged it in anyway and it just gives me a red light. I've read on a few other boards that this means the battery has completely discharged and that I need to hold the on button for 10-15 seconds and the light will go away and the battery will start charging. I've done this a few times and nothing happens. I don't see any other fixes for the PP. I've seen a fix for the classic that required taking the battery out and pressing the call button a few times, but that's obviously not an option for me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. TYIA
    10-26-21 08:44 PM
    Hello Forum,

I'm hoping you can help me out here. On Sunday, I woke to my PP drained more than it should be and when I was checking my message, it gave some kind of spark and auto-rebooted. I thought it was just a fluked and went ahead and charged it. Later after being fully charged, while texting a response to a friend, it gave another spark and then the keyboard was making this noise. I noticed it would do this if I used the swipe function during my reply so I went ahead and typed my reply out and hit send without further issue. Later that day, a friend texted me and my phone sparked again, auto re-booted again and there was this burning smell. I then thought it best to turn off my PP and let it 'cool off' for a couple of days.

Today, I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't. I didn't even get the dead battery icon. But I plugged it in anyway and it just gives me a red light. I've read on a few other boards that this means the battery has completely discharged and that I need to hold the on button for 10-15 seconds and the light will go away and the battery will start charging. I've done this a few times and nothing happens. I don't see any other fixes for the PP. I've seen a fix for the classic that required taking the battery out and pressing the call button a few times, but that's obviously not an option for me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. TYIA
    I'd be more concerned about the short than the battery.

Is anything stuck in your USB connector?
    10-26-21 09:59 PM
    That was my biggest concerned when I shut her down, and of course still is major concern. But she's not coming on so the short will have to take a backseat until I can hopefully fix the battery issue and power her back up (assuming that's possible). No there doesn't appear to be anything stuck in the USB connector.
    10-27-21 12:06 AM
    That was my biggest concerned when I shut her down, and of course still is major concern. But she's not coming on so the short will have to take a backseat until I can hopefully fix the battery issue and power her back up (assuming that's possible). No there doesn't appear to be anything stuck in the USB connector.
    I'd open it up (or take to repair shop) and see if I could find the the component that was shorting - scorch marks, burned component.

If the main board... your phone is history. If an replaceable component... you have to gauge what it's worth to you, to fix.
    10-27-21 08:41 AM
    Hello, yes I had planned to open her up to see if I could figure out what was causing the shorting issue. I found a good video online to assist me in this as well as a few 'parts' PP on Ebay should it come to that. I was hoping to at least do a backup before I did that. I noticed that the issue seemed to be with sound notification (like when I received a text) and when I used the keyboard for anything other than typing, like swiping to text and scrolling, so I was going to not use those functions and see if that would at least stop the shorting until I could open her up.

From what I can tell, the phone not charging right now, is separate from the shorting issue. I did do a search online and saw many videos for other BB phones where the red light meant that the battery was completely discharged and the phone wasn't recognizing the battery. Unfortunately, because those were different models, their fixes wouldn't apply to the PP. Like the Classic, the person took the battery out, pressed the call button several times, the light went out, he replaced the battery and the phone then recognized the battery and started charging it. I read on another forum from a post back in like 2015 where they were told the fix for the PP was to hold the power button 10-15 seconds to get the phone to recognize the battery so that it could then start charging. There were many replies to this post, some saying it worked for them and others it didn't. I was hoping that since this was the most knowledgeable forum that I'm aware of for all things BB, that the good people of this board would have another suggestion/fix.
    10-28-21 06:50 AM
    Hello, yes I had planned to open her up to see if I could figure out what was causing the shorting issue. I found a good video online to assist me in this as well as a few 'parts' PP on Ebay should it come to that. I was hoping to at least do a backup before I did that. I noticed that the issue seemed to be with sound notification (like when I received a text) and when I used the keyboard for anything other than typing, like swiping to text and scrolling, so I was going to not use those functions and see if that would at least stop the shorting until I could open her up.

From what I can tell, the phone not charging right now, is separate from the shorting issue. I did do a search online and saw many videos for other BB phones where the red light meant that the battery was completely discharged and the phone wasn't recognizing the battery. Unfortunately, because those were different models, their fixes wouldn't apply to the PP. Like the Classic, the person took the battery out, pressed the call button several times, the light went out, he replaced the battery and the phone then recognized the battery and started charging it. I read on another forum from a post back in like 2015 where they were told the fix for the PP was to hold the power button 10-15 seconds to get the phone to recognize the battery so that it could then start charging. There were many replies to this post, some saying it worked for them and others it didn't. I was hoping that since this was the most knowledgeable forum that I'm aware of for all things BB, that the good people of this board would have another suggestion/fix.
    Sparks coming from a phone, just isn't something that happens very often...
    10-28-21 07:56 AM
    There weren't actual sparks, just a sound similar to what you would hear when something sparks. And the phone was still operational after it happened. I was able to respond to texts as long as I didn't use the swipe to text. I manually turned it off after the second time because I wanted it to completely cool down before I backed her up prior to opening her up to see what was going on inside.
    10-28-21 05:09 PM
    There weren't actual sparks, just a sound similar to what you would hear when something sparks. And the phone was still operational after it happened. I was able to respond to texts as long as I didn't use the swipe to text. I manually turned it off after the second time because I wanted it to completely cool down before I backed her up prior to opening her up to see what was going on inside.
    It sounds like you know better what to do than we do.
    10-28-21 05:27 PM
    Sounds like static or some other electrical discharge, or perhaps a "ground fault" in your device, making you the "ground" when you handle it? Maybe take a close look in the mini-USB charging port and see if something is stuck between the contacts? Beyond that is outside my electrical savvy! I use magnetic connectors on my data/charging cables and they are very convenient and save a lot of wear and tear on the mini-USB port, but they also attract anything magnetic, even "black sand" from the beach!
    10-28-21 05:54 PM

Spark sounds and burning smells means there is something wrong with the hardware... either you try to open it and find the issue or you take it to a repair shop.

It might be just the battery connection, or it might be something else that has shorted out and preventing the phone from powering on.

But it's not a common issue...
    10-29-21 09:07 AM
    Sounds like static or some other electrical discharge, or perhaps a "ground fault" in your device, making you the "ground" when you handle it? Maybe take a close look in the mini-USB charging port and see if something is stuck between the contacts? Beyond that is outside my electrical savvy! I use magnetic connectors on my data/charging cables and they are very convenient and save a lot of wear and tear on the mini-USB port, but they also attract anything magnetic, even "black sand" from the beach!
    Thanks GordH, I think that's exactly what it was, because that's what it reminded me of like a static spark you get when you walk on the carpet. I'm going to take it in to have it check today by a professional like Dunt suggested since I have to take my laptop in anyway.
    11-02-21 12:02 PM