The Passport seems to stay on LTE longer than my Q10. You may be comparing Apples to Oranges. The Passport may just be staying on the weaker LTE signal longer than previous phones.

Make sure both phones are using the same network speed when comparing signal strength.

Posted via CB10
    Thrac Dark likes this.
    10-05-14 07:32 AM
    The Passport seems to stay on LTE longer than my Q10. You may be comparing Apples to Oranges. The Passport may just be staying on the weaker LTE signal longer than previous phones.

Make sure both phones are using the same network speed when comparing signal strength.

Posted via CB10
    Of course, both phones were on the same network and band. I have compared apples to apples. I am used to do it (it is not the first time I made the test).
    10-05-14 07:47 AM
    I seem to get better reception than before on the latest leak with passport than with my Z30. In areas where I get cut out completely, the passport reconnects faster. I cannot do side by side comparisons as I have my Z30 offline.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-05-14 08:03 AM
    I realised my son has a Z30 on the same network. I loaded the signaltracker app from BlackBerry world onto it and did a comparison around the house. The phones were within 2db of each other, sometimes the same. The Z30 settled to a better signal quicker, so I would give the edge to the Z30, though this is probably a software edge, not hardware.

My house has pretty weak LTE coverage with the signal ranging from -96 to -85db. The Z30 was on the stock OS, the Passport on the 10.3.1 leak.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-05-14 09:02 AM
    I realised my son has a Z30 on the same network. I loaded the signaltracker app from BlackBerry world onto it and did a comparison around the house. The phones were within 2db of each other, sometimes the same. The Z30 settled to a better signal quicker, so I would give the edge to the Z30, though this is probably a software edge, not hardware.

My house has pretty weak LTE coverage with the signal ranging from -96 to -85db. The Z30 was on the stock OS, the Passport on the 10.3.1 leak.

Posted via CB10
    It is not only a matter of signal to noise ratio (signal level and noise factor), but also of the phone PIRE(output Power and antenna eficiency). So, measuring received level is not enough for comparing.
    10-05-14 09:14 AM
    It is not only a matter of signal to noise ratio (signal level and noise factor), but also of the phone PIRE(output Power and antenna eficiency). So, measuring received level is not enough for comparing.
    That is beyond my capability. Having used cell phones since the 1980's, I also realise that the signal you see is not always the signal to the tower or cell site your call will go through. To test what you want to test would be pretty complicated as each phone may pick a different cell site for the call.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:20 AM
    I've noticed it isn't as good as Z30. When I go on the subway I lose signal on the stairs going to the platform. With Z30 I could stream music on the platform. Sometimes in to the tunnel. But today with Passport it wouldn't even re-establish signal when my train was outdoors in between stations.

Anyone else notice it isn't as good in trouble zones as Q10 or Z30?

Posted via CB10
    this is normal for some newer devices to not have as good radio strength as the predecessors but usually an os update will solve that problem.
    10-05-14 09:45 AM
    That is beyond my capability. Having used cell phones since the 1980's, I also realise that the signal you see is not always the signal to the tower or cell site your call will go through. To test what you want to test would be pretty complicated as each phone may pick a different cell site for the call.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry for the jargon (I am a telecommunication engineer). Like you, I have been using mobile phones since the 80�s, and I have found very good ones as far as signal reception is concerned (Motorola, Ericsson and some Nokia models) and very bad ones (above all, last smartphones: their manufactures do not care about the first task of a mobile phone). Measuring the real signal sensitivity is a cumbersome task and needs the use of very expensive and rare instruments and devices. So, the tests I make are only a humble approximation to these real measurements, but give an idea of what one is going to find in the �wild�. If you want to carry out a more complete test at home, please, try to make a call with both phones (Z30 and Passport) from the �difficult� spots (there where signal is lower). As a reference, my Iphone 5s (yes, I am a �mobilephoneaholic� ) shows �decent� signal levels in some spots, but it is unable to make a call where other phones are (like my Z30 and Passport).
    By the way, battery seems to last no so long as announced, what about yours?.
    10-05-14 09:46 AM
    I am not sure about the battery life yet. Since the Passport is new to me, I have been playing with it a lot. The battery is lower than normal at the end if the day because of all this use.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:55 AM
    I don't think passport uses paratekk technology?

Posted via CB10
    Of course it does, why wouldn't it? They own the technology.

In my case the Passport is much better at holding signals than the Z30, and absurdly incomparable to the measly Z10 reception. I've tested both cell coverage and wifi,.. wifi reception is surprisingly better (didn't think they would really put much work into that), it holds on to my 5GHz wifi signal farther away than my Z30 could hold on to the 2.4Ghz signal.

Needless to say, I'm pleased with the Passport ... and I still think the Z30 is a great device too (I'll probably never sell it, lol).

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-05-14 10:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    Did that. Tried switching to 4G. Same result. Z30 performs much better in same area than Passport

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 10:43 PM
    I have no problem, reception is same as with my z30, very good!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    10-10-14 02:05 PM
    I have a Q10 and a Passport on the same carrier (Rogers) in front of me. The Q10 shows 3 bars LTE. The Passport only 2 bars LTE. Should they not be the same or better on the passport?
    10-27-14 08:41 AM
    The Passport reception quality is worse than other devices!
    Where my xperia Z Ultra or z10 are showing 3G with four bars the Passport only shows Edge!
    But:
    I switched the mobile network settings to "3G only" and suddenly the Passport shows 3G instead of Edge on the same location. So it might be a software related problem - but this is only speculation.
    11-19-14 05:44 AM
    My Passport is definitely poorer cell signal than my Q10. Seems somewhat on and off however?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 08:55 AM
    My signal strength is far better with my Passport than with my Q10. I too am with Rogers but being in rural Ontario the signals fluctuate wildly from town to village to city. However where I used to get 3G on my Q10, I get 4G or LTE on my Passport. That spells better signal strength to me.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    11-19-14 09:40 AM
    I have definitely better reception than my Z10.

"May I see your Passport please?"
    11-19-14 11:31 AM
    Passport is better than the 9900... comparable to the Z30 Verizon Unlocked but the passport is still lightly better since it has the correct bands for ATT.
    11-19-14 12:46 PM
    I get stronger signal with the passport than with my Z10. AT&T LTE is not great where I live but is picked up about 2 miles north of me

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 01:08 PM
    I noticed a few things, I live in a rural area so I need reception and I learned this from the iPhones back in the day it all depends on how you hold the phone and you have to let the phone settle in, when I hold it I try not to touch the sides of the phone, let it rest on the fingers and it stays on lte longer and better reception I went from 20mbps to 60 in 2 weeks, just let it settle in and don't change to the leaked version, it is perfect

FYI I thought it was a issue but when I did exchange it I got the same thing so I just took it in and it does get better
    Passport Reception-img_20141119_175931.png

Posted via the most amazing Sq device that people call a Passport
    Attached Thumbnails Passport Reception-img_20141119_175443.png  
    TheGonka95 likes this.
    11-19-14 04:59 PM
    I purchased an unlocked PP via Amazon and use it on AT&T, WNC, US. I find the reception not so good. What I was getting with my Q10 & Z10 was much better. I currently have PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.908 is what it says under settings but when typing (myvers?) I get this: PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418. I don't know...I usually get knocked to the edge network while at work when I would get 2bars of LTE.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:11 PM
    I'm on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151 my reception has been improved on this last OS, get the same reception as my Q10 on wifi and cellular.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:16 PM
    Crackberry kevin also said Passport had the best battery life of any smartphone. He said that he used to go to an underground bar where NOBODY had reception, even previous blackberrys had, but the passport was the firstphone to have reception in that undergroud bar
    11-19-14 07:03 PM
    Crackberry kevin also said Passport had the best battery life of any smartphone. He said that he used to go to an underground bar where NOBODY had reception, even previous blackberrys had, but the passport was the firstphone to have reception in that undergroud bar
    Yes, but is he objective enough? Would he tell negative things about the Blackberry Passport... or any Blackberry? ;-)
    11-20-14 09:52 AM
    Yes, but is he objective enough? Would he tell negative things about the Blackberry Passport... or any Blackberry? ;-)
    He's not tied to Blackberry or crackberry anymore, if much, he's now more on the apple side. Since Blackberry always were the phones with the best reception and the passport is the most premium and business focused yet, it's easy to believe that it should have one of the best reception in the industry like the z30 had. The passport is bigger, and has more powerfull hardware, so it should not perform any worse than the z30
    11-20-14 09:57 AM
66 123