Ever heard of the lock function? The same argument applies for the send keys on the classic that's why they are so emphatic on ensuring the phone locks. I am sure there are enough clever minds at Blackberry to solve this one...

Posted from my Classic Passport
    01-25-15 10:03 AM
    I disagree; you build a phone to make calls first and then you add as much functionality to complement it's primary function... the iPhone has the same problem that I am describing and it's never great to have similarity to an iphone...

I disagree with that. Smartphone users tend to spend more time on different "apps" and calls are secondary (If that). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...for-calls.html
    That articles is years old and the trend signals that now it's even more towards a smartphone not being about traditional "phone calls".

If calls were what these devices were built around, then that would mean Apple and all Android vendors are clueless. They clearly push the content consumption usage first with their designs and software. Social and messaging apps seem to be more important to them than traditional "phone calls".

That being said, one of the reasons why I've had nothing but BlackBerry devices for the past 7 years, is that they're also awesome for calls.
    But there's no way that Smartphones are built around being a "phone" nowadays. More than anything, they're mostly built around a battery and screen.

Frosty white Q10/10.3.1.2072
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-25-15 10:16 AM
    I disagree; you build a phone to make calls first and then you add as much functionality to complement it's primary function... the iPhone has the same problem that I am describing and it's never great to have similarity to an iphone...

Who buys a $600 - $700+ device to with a 4.5" screen primarily make phone calls? There are many functions far ahead of phone calls on this device for most people.

BlackBerry already has a phone with phone buttons in their offerings. The Passport is a well designed smartphone that is quite large but uses the space efficiently. I originally thought that the three row keyboard was a problem, but after getting used to it, I see how BlackBerry used space efficiently in their design to get the most out of the device.

Having played with a Classic, it really is a shame that they wasted space that could have gone to a larger screen in the same footprint. I feel call keys would be a waste on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    01-25-15 10:18 AM
    I sorta would like buttons for answering and ending calls. It was really the only feature I missed on my Q10 when I went from OS7.

Pardon my ignorance, but could an OS10 update assign keys like "A" for answer and "E" for end? Do not know much about smart phone engineering.

Posted via CB10

Sorry to be redundant, failed to see the earlier posts.
    01-25-15 10:32 AM
    Read my whole thread... I didn't discount the importance of the other functions but at the end of the day you've gone and purchased a phone and not a tablet... there is nothing to say that two buttons are going to kill the other functions.

01-25-15 10:38 AM
    They will be huge buttons to press on lol

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 10:49 AM
    Read my whole thread... I didn't discount the importance of the other functions but at the end of the day you've gone and purchased a phone and not a tablet... there is nothing to say that two buttons are going to kill the other functions.

I actually hate phone calls, and people that call me unless it's an emergency.

The idea that you are entitled to interrupt someone's day whenever it's most convenient to *you* is just... ridiculous.

Leave a well-thought out email or IM (it may even force you to realize how dumb or unnecessary the request is in the first place) that I can refer to back as many times as necessary when I am ready to act on it.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 10:50 AM
    I actually hate phone calls, and people that call me unless it's an emergency.

The idea that you are entitled to interrupt someone's day whenever it's most convenient to *you* is just... ridiculous.

Leave a well-thought out email or IM (it may even force you to realize how dumb or unnecessary the request is in the first place) that I can refer to back as many times as necessary when I am ready to act on it.

Posted via CB10
    I'm of the same thinking most the most part.
    I use phone calls mostly to call people with feature phones or ppl that don't feel comfortable using smartphone technology.

But I never answer a call from a number I don't recognize or from someone who knows how to use a smartphone with all the different communication options (specially dealing with work related things in my line of work. It's just an inefficient use of time to be on "phone calls" when one needs to be multi-tasking).

Well, I think that the "call/end" buttons could be viewed as just taking up valuable potential screen real estate or adding too much size to the device.
    The idea of it having them on the side as "convenience keys" or assigning keys on the keyboard for that function could happen if the demand nowadays was largely for that, so if the Classic is a huge hit, then who knows?! It might happen.

Frosty white Q10/10.3.1.2072
    01-25-15 11:01 AM
    The BlackBerry logo at the top takes up way too much real estate so let's put things into perspective a bit...

01-25-15 11:05 AM
    I hope they don't do that, I like the way the passport is now, just add better specs and a better camera in a future release and I'll be happy

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 11:15 AM
    The BlackBerry logo at the top might seem like it's taking up space, but it's likely crammed with necessary components underneath to drive the display, camera, speaker, microphone, lock button, 3.5mm headphone jack, etc. The logo itself isn't 'taking up space', it's merely dressing up the 'container'.

If you added Call/End buttons, those would have to be supported by underlying components which *would* actually 'take up space'.
    mf1982 and TGR1 like this.
    01-25-15 11:23 AM
    Ridiculous wishes. If that's the case, then I wish BlackBerry will convince all countries, especially Canada, to embed the actual passports in the BlackBerry Passports. That would eliminate carrying two passports when travelling overseas.
    01-25-15 11:24 AM
    Maybe dedicate the "W" and "O" as they seem like the location would be good!

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:30 PM
    Thanks RexdaleNap. Will one be able to press those keys whilst in an open app or are they just for launching the phone from the home screen?

Shortcuts work from anywhere in bbos7 I would say it would be the same in bb10. I haven't loaded up leaks but the latest is supposed to be official and launching soon.
    01-25-15 12:39 PM
    I think the power button should act as a call end button if it doesn't already and BB assistant button should act as the call button. I agree with others that it would be hard to place dedicated call and call end buttons on (or around )the keyboard.
    01-25-15 12:55 PM
    You can use Voice Assistant (middle hardware button) to "Open Phone" from any app. However, I do see your point that it could be slow. A system wide shortcut, much like the one for getting to the Hub would be great.

Another idea is to have developers agree to place "Call" and Phone shortcuts directly into their apps to launch the phone. This would be useful for power users for sure.
    01-25-15 01:18 PM
    I may have missed this but there is a button dial feature on the Passport...

Long press calls a contact associated with the button.
    01-26-15 06:45 AM
    Who buys a $600 - $700+ device to with a 4.5" screen primarily make phone calls? There are many functions far ahead of phone calls on this device for most people.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, I have yet to see a video of somebody reviewing the Passport showing how to make or receive phone calls( secondary function). My question is due to the Passport being a two handed device( because of the width) is making or answering calls a two handed thing?

#tiredoftypingonglass
    01-26-15 09:33 AM
    I understand the OP's request but for the life of me I don't understand how "slow" it is swipe up from any app, and right there is the call bottom. Even in an emergency it takes a second.

What's inefficient about that? While in any app you can do this. To end a call, even if you are multitasking swipe up out of that app, tap the phone app, hit the red button , done.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    01-26-15 09:53 AM
    I agree, I have yet to see a video of somebody reviewing the Passport showing how to make or receive phone calls( secondary function). My question is due to the Passport being a two handed device( because of the width) is making or answering calls a two handed thing?

#tiredoftypingonglass
    No, I'm able to to it with 1 hand. Typing on the other hand works way better with 2. It's a huge struggle to reach q,a,z etc with 1 hand.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 11:27 AM
    I understand the OP's request but for the life of me I don't understand how "slow" it is swipe up from any app, and right there is the call bottom. Even in an emergency it takes a second.

What's inefficient about that? While in any app you can do this. To end a call, even if you are multitasking swipe up out of that app, tap the phone app, hit the red button , done.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    Try hanging up when your phone screen locked while you're using the phone.

Swipe up
    Enter picture password. Hopefully you got it on first try.
    Click on phone tile to get back to the dialer.
    Hang up.

A dedicated hang up button is worlds faster.

As for the answer button, I'm not completely sold on needing it, but I have had many instances where the phone was locked and call comes in and my answer swipe didn't take and I lost the call. An answer button would've been definitive.

So given my experience I would like to see both the answer and hang up buttons added to all phones. Programmable keys would do as well, or soft keys on the lock screen for all touch devices.

Just my $0.02.
    zyxxiforr likes this.
    01-26-15 08:12 PM
    I'd like to see the numerical keyboard moved down.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 09:42 PM
    I am with the OP: a couple of soft buttons such as q and p to pick up and end calls would come in handy. I have "struggled" a few times to hang up quickly.
    01-26-15 10:12 PM
    Maybe dedicate the "W" and "O" as they seem like the location would be good!

Posted via CB10
    Anything but the "W" and "O" keys! Those are the typically hypersensitive ones on the Q10!
    jope28 likes this.
    01-26-15 10:57 PM
    Let me phrase is differently, if those extra buttons makes it easier for you then it doesn't mean it does for me. It's a opinion and I do respect those, but the phone certainly won't be better with them in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Waiting for the screen to light back up so you can touch end call while the person on the other end listens to what I or anyone else in the room says or does is a great feature. I see why you love it.
    06-03-16 05:04 PM
50 12