Does anybody have any insider information on whether the passport will have an update that enables band 12 on the phone, considering Tmobile widespread expansion into that spectrum? I would love to get a passport se while this may madness is going on, but if it's going to be an issue in rural areas in MD, then I'll have to pass. Some areas seem to have improved reception, but I only see that on my nexus 6, which had it unlocked with the marshmallow update. Any info is much appreciated...
    05-14-16 07:27 AM
    I'm not sure you can add a Band by just an OS upgrade.
    05-14-16 09:31 AM
    I believe the radio inside, that is inside all phones, is just like the one in your radio at home for listening to radio stations. Through the software however, you would tune to the correct frequencies on a phone. My nexus 6 didn't have that band originally, band 12, and when the marshmallow update came out, it was enabled on the phone.
    05-14-16 11:39 AM
    I believe the radio inside, that is inside all phones, is just like the one in your radio at home for listening to radio stations. Through the software however, you would tune to the correct frequencies on a phone. My nexus 6 didn't have that band originally, band 12, and when the marshmallow update came out, it was enabled on the phone.
    Yes, some phones have radios with bands disabled by software. But some just don't have those bands in hardware either. It's kinda stupid to me. Seems it would be easier and cheaper to just have one universal antenna, but the cell phone industry counts on obsolescence to keep making sales.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    05-15-16 06:48 AM
    I doubt it.

BlackBerry barely updates its own applications for BlackBerry 10, do you really think they're going to put time and money into a software update to enable different bands haha

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 11:52 AM
    I doubt it.

BlackBerry barely updates its own applications for BlackBerry 10, do you really think they're going to put time and money into a software update to enable different bands haha

Posted via CB10

That's stinks. They gave themselves more time for the 10.3.3 update for June, why not incorporate it then. Something small like that goes a long way for consumers.
    05-16-16 02:58 PM
    That's stinks. They gave themselves more time for the 10.3.3 update for June, why not incorporate it then. Something small like that goes a long way for consumers.
    I agree. I'm not even expecting anything noticeable in 10.3.3 either. Just background security stuff that I don't even use to begin with.
    05-16-16 03:55 PM
    Business wise, none of their decisions are sound. The passport works for thoroughly for att in the US, but not t-mobile, yet it is an unlocked phone, and they knew full well that people will be on that network with the need for the lte band 12. That's what gets me.

You are absolutely right. Minimal updates, just like the PlayBook. Very sad to see.
    05-21-16 07:18 AM
    Will there not be non LTE bands available in the area where T-Mobile is band 12? There is usually one of the slower technologies available. I would only worry about it if the band 12 is used around your home or work and the only available connection is Edge or slower.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 09:03 AM