I have one question. For all those that have the passport or have ordered the passport or have plans to purchase it within the month or so...How do you justify paying $599+ for a smartphone. Believe me, I would love to have the passport. I bashed it in the beginning but I've taken a liking to it. Problem is, I can't see myself spending that much money on a phone especially since these devices tend to lose so much value in a year alone.

How do you justify the purchase when next year your passport will take a back seat to whatever next. I'm so curious. Oh, and the spouse...how well does it go over with them? Lol

Thanks!

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    10-28-14 02:45 PM
    Haven't all the phones been about $600 since smart phones came into popularity? Wasn't a Bold 9000 or iPhone 3G about $600?

Currently in Canada, the contracts went from three years to two years but got more expensive. The justification is to pay the $600 now, but save $20-30 a month on your contract versus paying $200 up front and an extra $20-$30 for a subsidized phone.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    10-28-14 02:51 PM
    It's not an investment. It is a luxury purchase just because we want it.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 02:52 PM
    How do I justify spending lots of money on new devices every year?? I work hard, am successful at what I do otherwise my boss wouldn't be paying such a high salary.
    Plus it's a hobby of mine buying a new BlackBerry every yr...as for the wife?? As long as bills and mortgage is paid then whatever I do with my money is MY choice...same goes for her too.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 02:55 PM
    How do I justify spending lots of money on new devices every year?? I work hard, am successful at what I do otherwise my boss wouldn't be paying such a high salary.
    Plus it's a hobby of mine buying a new BlackBerry every yr...as for the wife?? As long as bills and mortgage is paid then whatever I do with my money is MY choice...same goes for her too.

Posted via CB10
    Ditto what he said!

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 03:00 PM
    I don't justify it. I just do it. I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission.

Seriously, though, new tech/devices are my only expensive hobby. My wife either gets that or realizes I'm not going to change and just goes with it. Same results.
    10-28-14 04:12 PM
    I don't justify it. I just do it. I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission.

Seriously, though, new tech/devices are my only expensive hobby. My wife either gets that or realizes I'm not going to change and just goes with it. Same results.
    LMAO. That really made me "lol". Rather ask for forgiveness than permission. Nice motto. Mine doesn't care either but I'm the one that feels guilty if I bought it. Can't tell you why though. I don't know myself.

10-28-14 08:55 PM
    LMAO. That really made me "lol". Rather ask for forgiveness than permission. Nice motto. Mine doesn't care either but I'm the one that feels guilty if I bought it. Can't tell you why though. I don't know myself

10-28-14 08:55 PM
    I just wanted something new so I sold my iPhone 5s and bought the passport. I always wanted a blackberry so here I am finally rocking one
    10-28-14 09:05 PM
    I payed 230 for mine while renewing my agreement which I have no issue doing. I need mobile service and I'm happy with my provider. I avoid paying full price for unlocked devices. We have 3 devices in the family. Every year someone can take advantage of a renewal to subsidize the device price. In addition I always sell my previous device which I maintain in pristine condition to pay for most if not all and then some of my new device.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 09:10 PM
    It most definitely is a luxury!

Especially when my workplace pays for a smartphone & plan for me already. We only have Q10/Z10 as standard issue BB10 devices though.

As others have said - it is a bit of a hobby. I'm an IT Pro, and my wife knows she married someone into technology. That comes with the territory - a techy will need toys

I've never been in the one device a year club until recently. I won a Z10 with BlackBerry via Twitter, and then upgraded to a Z30 (recouped some funds from the Z10). I have now upgraded to the Passport from the Z30. She's a little worried now, lol. Selling your existing device while it is worth money, & keeping it in great condition helps soften the blow of a $699 purchase (I sold my Z30 for $300 - though it did cost $625!). Then again ... the initial Z10 that started it all was free Oh - except for the flight & hotel to Toronto to accept the "Free Z10"...................... :|
    10-28-14 09:10 PM
    It most definitely is a luxury!

Especially when my workplace pays for a smartphone & plan for me already. We only have Q10/Z10 as standard issue BB10 devices though.

As others have said - it is a bit of a hobby. I'm an IT Pro, and my wife knows she married someone into technology. That comes with the territory - a techy will need toys

I've never been in the one device a year club until recently. I won a Z10 with BlackBerry via Twitter, and then upgraded to a Z30 (recouped some funds from the Z10). I have now upgraded to the Passport from the Z30. She's a little worried now, lol. Selling your existing device while it is worth money, & keeping it in great condition helps soften the blow of a $699 purchase (I sold my Z30 for $300 - though it did cost $625!). Then again ... the initial Z10 that started it all was free Oh - except for the flight & hotel to Toronto to accept the "Free Z10"...................... :|
    Ouch. Does that really count as free?? But sure is a cool story!

10-28-14 09:16 PM
    Spend 600 to get happiness, proud, recognition, uniqueness, productivity..., isn't it worth it?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 09:24 PM
    Spend 600 to get happiness, proud, recognition, uniqueness, productivity..., isn't it worth it?

Posted via CB10
    You almost made me buy it...

10-28-14 09:34 PM
    I say do it! My wife while a little upset got over it when I told her that I sold some of my other phones to pay for it. It's a great phone, had mine for 2 weeks and love it.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 09:57 PM
    I pay $30 a month for my cell service (thanks tmobile) which a comparable plan would be over 80 for just me from anyone else. Thus I'm actually saving money in the long run. Plus I love this beast. So I justify the price which is still below most flagships.

Oh and no wife =)

Passport is heaven
    mister2d likes this.
    10-28-14 10:49 PM
    It's a powerhouse tool. My fianc�e was a bit upset at first but we bought her a new laptop to illustrate that this isn't just a toy. Purchasing a tool to maximize productivity isn't a luxury. In my opinion, the Passport isn't just a new phone - it's an entirely new platform! It's a cross between a smartphone and a laptop. The asking price is fair. And, while I didn't want to let it go at first, the Z30 still has great resale value if you've kept it in good shape. The sale of that covered half the cost of my Passport. And I couldn't imagine using a different device now so, hard to believe as it may be, I don't miss the Z30 at all. The Passport is awesome.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    10-28-14 10:51 PM
    Here today. Gone tomorrow. You only live once. Can't take money wit u
    10-28-14 10:57 PM
    I pay $30 a month for my cell service (thanks tmobile) which a comparable plan would be over 80 for just me from anyone else. Thus I'm actually saving money in the long run. Plus I love this beast. So I justify the price which is still below most flagships.

Oh and no wife =)

Passport is heaven
    Same here. $30 bucks a month and hotspot works without adding extra cost. $360 per year is all I pay for my cellphone bill. Lol. Most people pay that in three months just for one phone!

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 11:04 PM
    Basically if I don't use my money to buy myself what I want, it will get taken by my wife, the cats, or the dozen other bills and banks hovering over.

So scr*w it.

As long as you're not sacrificing your health, living in hunger, or otherwise doing something negative (stealing, selling an organ, etc),.. then the question is... why not allow the results of your work to provide you with what you enjoy (whatever that may be for you)?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 11:16 PM
    I don't have to justify it, it's my money...but buying an unlocked, unsubsidized device is buying freedom from the constraints of a carrier contract. Plus I write it off as a business expense at the end of the year.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 likes this.
    10-29-14 12:34 AM
    Here today. Gone tomorrow. You only live once. Can't take money wit u
    Actually, I found 5 bucks a couple days ago. It's still sitting In my wallet......

I'm kidding, I know what you mean. Lol

10-29-14 04:07 AM
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ad-iPhone.html

As long as u don't have to sell a kidney, it's all good...

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 04:16 AM
    I remember that. I'm pretty sure it was the iPad 2 that he did it for. It's absolutely insane. Now I can buy whatever I want! Just have to show the wife this article right afterwards

10-29-14 04:25 AM
    A wise man once said to me...

- "The price of cool ain't cheap!"

Granted, that was about cars, but it applies to luxuries like premium smartphones now too. Now they're true, personal PC's... with phone apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 06:22 AM
39 12