Due to price concern I won't choose K1. Both Passport and Priv price drop to an attractive level, and I love both, but Passport a little more.

Should I buy Priv to enjoy the Andriod OS and wonderful screen and compromise the overheat, low battery life, small keypad and too big phone size? Or consider Passport for perfect body but lack of software and update?

Pls help
    06-14-17 10:14 PM
    Comes down to what you plan on doing with the device. If you just do email, text, and known software that isn't going to change, ever, then the Passport is a better phone in my opinion. (And that's why I picked it over the Priv.)

For anything else, Priv would be a better option.
    watermelonlam and Mattster723 like this.
    06-14-17 11:07 PM
    This will depend fully on your needs. Passport is a great, hardy device ideal for email/text/phone/basic app support with a unique form factor. Priv is an Android device with an optional physical keyboard that works pretty well in the real world, but has some performance and overheating issues.

At the end of the day, I loved BB10 and the devices that ran it. However, the Priv running Android was way more capable of doing what I needed to do, plus it had the advantage of the PKB/VKB option.

tl;dr: for email/productivity, get the Passport (but realize there won't be many more updates.) For budget Android, look at the Priv or a DTEK device if the the KEYone is out of your budget.

I'd still recommend the KEYone if you can at all manage it.
    watermelonlam and glwerry like this.
    06-14-17 11:07 PM
    Yes, All Right! Maybe wait for K1 price drop. The overheat issue for Priv is the main issue I skip Priv..
    06-15-17 12:39 AM
    Tough call I have to say. I ran a Classic till it broke, than had a Priv till it developed stripes on the screen, and I'm now back on another Classic.

You could say Classic is a smaller, lower powered, smaller battery equipped Passport.

In dealing with emails/text/WA OS10 hub easily beats the Priv version. Smoothness and efficiency are better. So Passport better than Priv for (work) output.

Small Classic battery gives me a day of work, just like the Priv. So Passport with the larger battery will beat Priv here as well.

The app gap.
    Well my Priv ran mostly F-Droid apps, not dependant on google stuff. OS10 runs those same apps just as well. APK mirror can give the rest. And Blackberry World still sports some decent apps.

Having said this OS10 comes with eg a proper office suite already included actually, unlike the Priv where cloud based stuff is included meaning you need to get Libre Office or whatever yourself.

Same for basics like file browser, picture viewer, and even texting. Priv included apps are not really good. OS10 comes with proper basic tools! OS10 apps work smoothless with the Hub, unlike Priv's android that in the end gives a toyed together feeling.

So Passport wins here? In a way yes, depending on your demands. No new native apps are developed though.

For apps not working/available like Whatsapp some nerding is required to get an android version going on the Passport. To run google services dependant apps in general some more nerding is required.

Obviously on Priv all work, no nerding required. On Priv though playstore apps tend to track you more and are more eager to sell you something.

So in another way the Priv could be seen as a winner.

The Priv though is an easy winner on:
    - Screen. So great to watch videos
    - Its 2 camera's

Also browsing the web is more smooth on the Priv compared to the Classic at least. Classic hardware power plays a role in that however OS10 web-browsers are old as well so assume Passport has some slowness here as well.

On Priv again a proper browser needs to be downloaded first (unless you like Chrome). On OS10 this is the same assuming you want a browser with ad blocking and the option to order your bookmarks in the order you want.
    Priv winner here.

Keyboard:
    Priv is okay enough. Not great, certainly not bad.
    Classic keyboard is great. I dont have a Passport so can not comment first hand really, however if you read eg this forum people typically qualify the Passport keyboard being better than Priv's.

Looking at prices in NL/D. Passport SE 280€, Priv 380€ (KEYone 599€)

So. Maximise work output, not a tough gamer or not using a zillion apps and you are happy with PP screen size. Take the Passport.

Want the a large screen size, want a zillion apps, like to be tracked, want a modern browser. Take the Priv.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    06-15-17 12:51 AM
    Thanks John, good reviews and analysis.
    06-15-17 02:25 AM
    Fully agree the PRIV. It's more will help make tradition to KEYONE totally when ready for it. Good luck
    06-15-17 11:59 AM
    i suggest save up for the K1..
    06-16-17 03:40 AM
    Go for the passport if you are not depending on any apps. It does basic functions much better than priv and doesn't burn your hand.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-17 09:47 AM
    Yes, All Right! Maybe wait for K1 price drop. The overheat issue for Priv is the main issue I skip Priv..
    The overheating can be overcome. There are a couple of very good threads on tips to keep the battery usage down. I hardly ever see heating unless I'm doing a big download or streaming video, which I seldom do anymore.

I went from a Classic to a PRIV and am very happy. Keyboard is only about 85% as good, but it's certainly usable. Plus which, you have so much more software options compared to BB10.
    06-16-17 10:06 AM
    It all depends on what your needs are. I will say that the Priv has more of an upside to the passport at this point in time. That is for the obvious reason, apps. Everything about the OS is aging day by day. More and more apps are leaving the platform.

With a few tweaks to conserve battery life (same kind of tweaks that I used on the passport), the Priv can be just as good if not better than the passport in that regard. If you were used to 4-row keyboards in the past, it won't take long to get used to the Priv keyboard. It is better than a lot of people give it credit for. Overall, it is worth every penny of the 270 I paid for it.
    glwerry likes this.
    06-16-17 02:01 PM
    Like others have said before me, it all depends on your usage.

If you want a phone that primarily emails, texts, and calls, you'd be hard pressed to find something that works like BB10 and it's Hub.

If you need or want the apps that everyone is using and don't want to worry about workarounds and crossing your fingers when you download an app and hope it works, I would suggest getting either a Priv or KeyOne.

BB10 can be useful in its current state if you understand the limitations of it and are willing to have a spare device to fill in the apps that you would want.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    06-17-17 05:55 PM
    As a person who LOVED the Passport, I would advise you to go with the PRIV (if you cannot wait until you can get a KEYone). I own and have used all three phones. And as much as I loved my Passport, there is insufficient technical capability and support for it. And it will not get better with the passage of time.
    07-07-17 11:29 AM
    Get passport se. It'll serve you with cobalt android apps for 1-2 years, then get the key one for half price.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-17 12:29 PM