I have only one complaint about my passport.

On a Z10 if you type "thisisagreatfeature" and press the space, you get "this is a great feature"

On a Passport....you get "thisisagreatfeature"

I really wish I could get that feature back

Posted via CB10
    DocDRM and Just Me like this.
    01-04-15 08:58 PM
    Put it in your word substitution in settings.
    Patrick Pierobon likes this.
    01-04-15 09:00 PM
    I agree with the OP. The Z10 substituted the spaces between words most of the time. The passport doesn't.

Using word substitutions does not address this.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    sk8er_tor and Just Me like this.
    01-04-15 09:04 PM
    #passportpetpeeve
    01-04-15 09:32 PM
    #passportpetpeeve
    Can't type that with a Z10

Posted via CB10
    thedose, m3mb3rsh1p and scorepion like this.
    01-04-15 09:33 PM
    It's both a positive or a negative.
    With the z10, abbreviated or slang words got replaced by suggested words that may not be exactly what you intended. With the passport, the opposite it usually true. In my opinion, i like the keyboard on the passport better than the physical keyboard, but the virtual kb is still amazing.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 09:37 PM
    With the z10, abbreviated or slang words got replaced by suggested words that may not be exactly what you intended.
    You always had the option of swiping up on the space bar to keep the text as you wrote it.

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on CB10!
    Elite1 and Patrick Pierobon like this.
    01-04-15 11:32 PM
    Looks like a new feature opportunity. If you wanted the word you would just hit the space bar or something.

Brought to you by my Awesome BlackBerry Passport.
    01-05-15 12:26 AM
    I've actually been finding the autocorrect on the passport is horrible compared to the virtual kb of the Z series.

#CB10 #WorkWide
    01-05-15 08:15 AM
    So,.. the large black bar at the center bottom of the keyboard is just too difficult to press relative to other the little keys I see.

I'm gonna call logitech and complain that their desktop keyboard does not space my words for me!

I mean, when I type extraordinary I would LOVE for it to auto-correct it into "extra ordinary", that surely would not be immediately hated by anyone that purposely chose a physical keyboard to minimize their reliance on the modern-society's (il)literary crutch (and inevitable downfall).

No.

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6, Spawn12 and World War Z30 like this.
    01-05-15 08:34 AM
    So,.. the large black bar at the center bottom of the keyboard is just too difficult to press relative to other the little keys I see.

I'm gonna call logitech and complain that their desktop keyboard does not space my words for me!

I mean, when I type extraordinary I would LOVE for it to auto-correct it into "extra ordinary", that surely would not be immediately hated by anyone that purposely chose a physical keyboard to minimize their reliance on the modern-society's (il)literary crutch (and inevitable downfall).

No.

Posted via CB10
    Someone complains about autocorrect on the Passport and you tell them that it is a literary crutch and they should be thankful Blackberry removed this feature? SMH...

(unless your reply was meant to be sarcastic, but too subtle for me if it was)
    01-05-15 08:39 AM
    Someone complains about autocorrect on the Passport and you tell them that it is a literary crutch and they should be thankful Blackberry removed this feature? SMH...

I think they were just saying stop being lazy and use the Space bar, it is a physical keyboard after all

Posted via CB Z30
    01-05-15 08:44 AM
    Still, I don't see a reason they can't combine the physical keyboard with autocorrect, with an option to shut off autocorrect for those who find it to be too much of a literary crutch.
    01-05-15 08:47 AM
    Lmao oh god really??!!?? It's a physical keyboard so why would you need such a useless feature?? On the vkb I can understand the need for this but pkb?? No just no.

Either that or go back to school and re-learn correct grammar and punctuation. No wonder the art of writing is at an all time low lol.

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 and sk8er_tor like this.
    01-05-15 09:04 AM
    There is no reason to go backwards. If you don't make mistakes, you don't need auto correct either... sometimes you miss hitting the space bar, it is a pain to go back to correct it. If you are perfect, you'd never know that feature was ever there. I've never seen a Z user ever complain about this feature.....ever.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 09:29 AM
    Still, I don't see a reason they can't combine the physical keyboard with autocorrect, with an option to shut off autocorrect for those who find it to be too much of a literary crutch.
    I guess my point is... if you pressed the character keys, why not press the space bar key (it's bigger and easier)? The example I provided also illustrates the problem with such an autocorrect 'feature'. There are compound words that are valid but are comprised of two valid words... how would it decide what to do? It would be inconsistent, which is the worst characteristic of any user interface.

Now,.. with touch screen keyboards you are used to (and come to expect/rely on) autocorrect miracles while accepting that there may be some risk (of it telling your mom what you really do when you're alone, breaking up your marriage, getting you fired, starting a war, etc.) in exchange. With physical keys,.. the main advantage is the exacting control of what gets punched in,.. and most physical keyboard users cling to one exactly because of their disdain for auto correct.

So sure... it could be a feature that you can turn off, but I guarantee that most would turn it off,-- which would bring into question whether it was worth the trouble of ever putting it in the first place.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    01-05-15 09:35 AM

No.

Posted via CB10
    I guess my point is... if you pressed the character keys, why not press the space bar key (it's bigger and easier)?
    No. Passport space bar actually IS a bit hard to press, and further, it is in fact harder to press than the character keys - the single biggest design flaw that I take fault with on Passport.

Also, I have no experience with this feature on z10, but if it is any properly built, I am sure it has enough intelligence not to turn "extraordinary" into "extra ordinary". If it doesn't, then it is certainly possible to build the feature not to make such errors. No system's perfect, so there might still be errors even after that, but I would have to assume that the occasions of such errors would be few and far between.

Having said that, I thought it was auto-correct that was the bane of most people. Once again, I have no experience with z10 and insertion of spaces doesn't sound as invasive as the infamous iPhone style auto-correct, but if Passport had such a feature, I would've turned it off the first thing out of box. Auto capitalization of the first word of a sentence and I and automatic insertion of apostrophes in contractions (don't, didn't, won't etc) are enough for me. I hardly even use flick up auto-complete either.

question whether it was worth the trouble of ever putting it in the first place.
    As I said, I would be the first to turn off such a feature and it would be the first feature to be turned off if it was there on Passport, but I don't see a whole lot of trouble putting it in, when the necessary code or whatever has already been developed for z10. I am sure that with slight modifications the feature could have been recycled and included in Passport.

And for those mentioning "literary crutch", aren't you forgetting the greatest "literary crutch" of all? Yes, I am talking about dictation (not even to mention flick-up auto-complete that I already referenced above) - talked about by impressed users even on this very message board regarding how surprisingly good and accurate it is on Passport. So long as you can turn it off, auto-space insertion shouldn't be any harm. It's really disingenuous to stomp on someone wishing there was an auto-space insertion feature saying it's a literary crutch while raving about (or even tolerating or suffering the presence of) flick up auto complete or dictation. If the guy or gal wants to have auto space insertion, that's simply how he or she wants it. No right or need to really go "use the damn space". To each his own. I can't do anything to put in this feature as OP wants, but I fully respect his wishes.
    Last edited by mofokey; 01-05-15 at 11:21 AM.
    Icarus3000, j21jam6 and UncleChuck like this.
    01-05-15 10:31 AM
    You do not need virtual keyboard auto correct on a physical keyboard.

On physical keyboards, you can be so much more accurate. And it is useful for typing out names and words that are not in the dictionary.

I sometimes find the auto correct on my Z10 a bit too Intrusive.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    j21jam6 likes this.
    01-05-15 10:41 AM

Literary crutch, smh lol
    01-05-15 10:48 AM
    I agree with AnimalPak200. Just use the darn spacebar.

Besides, automatic inserting of spaces could frequently be wrong: warplane, lackluster, selloff, chipmaker, shareholder etc...
    01-05-15 10:54 AM
    I agree with AnimalPak200. Just use the darn spacebar.

Besides, automatic inserting of spaces could frequently be wrong: warplane, lackluster, selloff, chipmaker, shareholder etc...
    Absof###inglutely

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 11:24 AM
    So many people replying who don't use a passport lol
    I agree with OP. At times the spacebar may not click if you don't click hard enough, and that's especially more demanding when using one handed. With two hands it's fine though.
    01-05-15 11:35 AM
    Wow, everyone is so angry.

I liked the auto-spacing, but it's fine without it as well. I find the spacebar rhythmic when typing long phrases.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 11:49 AM
    I like the way the Passport keyboard assumes that I will put in spaces where I want them.

However, I can see why others would prefer the auto-space insertion. Maybe they can make it a feature that we can choose to have on or not.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2
    01-05-15 12:23 PM
    It's also about brand consistency. I honestly don't see why this would "work" with a virtual kb but not a physical kb, but I think it would be more palatable to the masses if things worked consistently across different model phones.
    01-05-15 12:45 PM
31 12