In a pinch while traveling you could use a keyboard and mouse like that and remote in to your desktop PC, then it would be a PC experience.
    You can already do that through your file manager,if you set it up with BlackBerry Link sorta. You won't get a windows/mac screen. Just be able to access the files / folders you assigned.

Via Passport via CB10
    07-20-15 06:09 AM
    blackberry will never be able to replace a laptop/desktop. however ubuntu phone will be able to as its running full blown ubuntu on it, so that will be interesting to see how it turns out if it ever gets popular
    07-20-15 06:27 AM
    Nice, but far away from replacing my laptop. That is, until I can install all the Windows-based software I need for work.
    07-20-15 09:12 AM
    Actually since my company uses Skype for internal communications, I do answer most of my business calls on the Laptop.
    He said PHONE call... but we gotcha ;-)

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 09:12 AM
    With miracast it's actually pretty useful as a pc.

In Squircle I Trust
    Do you get noticeable lag when using miracast?

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 09:20 AM
    How do you do this? Can I use vpn with these? Do I still need to be protected? Can anybody share something to me about it?
    07-20-15 09:53 AM
    I did all this with z10, while connected to 32" TV. Problem is cause bb10 interface is too big while using it on TV. It is cool to use browser desktop mode though.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 10:54 AM
    Do you get noticeable lag when using miracast?

Posted via CB10
    You could do it with a slimport adapter with a long hdmi cable for the passport. Or you can use a long hdmi cable for the Z30.
    I have both setups.

The way the Z30 is setup, is a whole lot better than the passport for this. Because of the separate USB and hdmi jack.

Via Passport via CB10
    07-20-15 10:58 AM
    You can already do that through your file manager,if you set it up with BlackBerry Link sorta. You won't get a windows/mac screen. Just be able to access the files / folders you assigned.

Via Passport via CB10
    That's using the Passport as a file manager like you said, not as a PC. I'm talking about using an RDS client and actually using it as a PC.
    07-20-15 11:20 AM
    How does passport screen look on HDMI output? I mean how does it deal with different aspect ratio?
    07-20-15 11:45 AM
    You could do it with a slimport adapter with a long hdmi cable for the passport. Or you can use a long hdmi cable for the Z30.
    I have both setups.

The way the Z30 is setup, is a whole lot better than the passport for this. Because of the separate USB and hdmi jack.

Via Passport via CB10
    Thanks, I knew that already so I was just trying to find out if he had somehow managed to get a miracast connection that was comparable to an hdmi connection when it came to lag. The Z30 also doesn't have to deal with the 1:1 aspect ratio crap that the Passport outputs to an external monitor. I just wish BlackBerry would be more thoughtful of its customers before they make decisions which reduce functionally.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 11:54 AM
    How does passport screen look on HDMI output? I mean how does it deal with different aspect ratio?
    It outputs a 1:1 aspect ratio to an external monitor. If playing a video using the browser or the Videos app, you can use the Play On feature to output the video through HDMI using DLNA which would give you widescreen, fullscreen output. Other than that it's 1:1 all the way. It really sucks because Z10 is 1280 x 768, which is 15:9, yet it has no trouble outputting all video at 1920 * 1080, which is 16:9 and 1920 * 1200 which is 16:10. So all they needed to do was just code their software a bit better and I'm almost sure it would be possible to do the same on the Passport with some creativity.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 07-20-15 at 02:07 PM.
    07-20-15 12:00 PM
    But can it answer a phone call? :-)
    Mine can. :-)
    07-20-15 12:56 PM
    But can it answer a phone call? :-)

Passport SQW 100-1 OS 10.3.2.2339
    My Google Voice # will ring through to my laptop.
    07-20-15 01:14 PM
    I like the idea of replacing a heavy big dimension laptop with my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 01:22 PM
    Nice, but far away from replacing my laptop. That is, until I can install all the Windows-based software I need for work.
    You may be closer on that with Win10. I've only tried the PC version, but the phone version is supposed to be the full OS, too. Although I suspect that PC apps may have issues with screen resolution.
    07-20-15 01:33 PM
    That would make a great commercial.......too bad their not marketing like they wanna sell phones. There are so many great things this device is capable of!!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 01:39 PM
    Oops, should have been "they're" not their. Bad grammar :-)

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 01:40 PM
    That's cool!!

Posted via Passport - 10.3.2.2339
    07-20-15 01:46 PM
    Well if BB10 could run Microsoft Office and we could open multiple windows at the same time then I wouldn't need my laptop anymore.

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    Yes, multiple windows is the only thing we need since we already have most of Office available in BB.
    07-20-15 02:04 PM
    He said PHONE call... but we gotcha ;-)

Posted via CB10
    I haven't done it recently, but historically when travelling, I would forward my mobile calls to my Skype Number thus saving the >�1/minute charge to receive mobile calls whilst abroad (this was particularly useful when WiFi calling on my mobile was not working - like it hasn't been for a few years because EE are useless.....). Therefore, the same as co4nd, I would be answering my business calls on my laptop.
    07-20-15 02:45 PM
    I almost always have to fiddle with settings on whichever monitor I am using..... for movies you can usually get the full widescreen letterbox effect - and/or where the TV 'adjusts' so you get no letter-boxing, you lose the far left and right portions of the film.

I usually just use Miracast on my Passport as most places I have been presenting at recently, have Miracast-enabled monitors, and Miracast is fine for PowerPoints and displaying documents.

The slimport adaptor is just for places where the monitor/projector are not Miracast-enabled, or if I want to watch a movie in my hotel room (though most hotels in the UK now, are blocking the ability for you to plug in your own HDMI feed).
    07-20-15 02:52 PM
    You may be closer on that with Win10. I've only tried the PC version, but the phone version is supposed to be the full OS, too. Although I suspect that PC apps may have issues with screen resolution.
    I'm still suspect on how well this will work. If the device is just running the original desktop code, then the interface will not be optimized for the small screen nor touch interfaces. If there's extra code to deal with small screens and touch interfaces, the app will carry around extra bloat for the desktop interface version. To keep apps/binaries small, then there would still be multiple versions of the apps/binaries: phone-sized, tablet-sized and desktop.
    07-20-15 03:25 PM
    miracast connect to extra monitor
    07-20-15 03:33 PM
    This is a realistic setup. I have a laptop, an iPad with bluetooth keyboard and a Classic.

Just got back from holidays where I had to work remotely. Didn't touch the laptop - I have Citrix on the iPad and used the Classic as a WiFi hot-spot and all my email work.

I haven't tried to do Citrix on the Classic yet, but in theory a guy could do his support this way.
    07-20-15 04:50 PM
57 123