Hello,

I've been carrying my Passport around in my pocket all morning/afternoon, and, as is not unusual, when I pulled it from my topic there had been some random typing from the keys hitting things.

But this time, the random typing was in the PASSWORD field of the device, and now that field is showing characters (it used to only put up the * when a key was pressed in that field). In other words, it would appear that somehow the device password has accidentally been changed. It says I have made 6 of an allowed 10 attempts and if I am wrong 10 times the device data will be deleted. I only have a **bleep** password on the thing because my one work account requires it to get emails on the phone.

This is so irritating. I have NO IDEA what random junk the password could have been changed to. I of course tried my original password, several times, and one behavior I will note is that it does not appear to be counting failed attempts. I have tried it probably more than 4 times, but every time I have it still comes back saying I am on my 6th of 10 attempts.

I also tried restarting the phone, hoping that it was somehow some kind of error. No dice.

This is ridiculous. What can I do?
    03-26-16 01:46 PM
    Not gonna lie, this would probably have me kneeing myself in the face. Have you tried the desktop client?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 02:07 PM
    Hello,

But this time, the random typing was in the PASSWORD field of the device, and now that field is showing characters (it used to only put up the * when a key was pressed in that field). In other words, it would appear that somehow the device password has accidentally been changed.
    This is not the correct conclusion to draw from the fact you can now see your password as it is typed.

It more than likely thought you needed help to see what you were typing since you got it wrong so often.

I'm 99.9% certain you cannot accidentally change the password this way.

Check to see if your caps lock is on by accident.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 02:24 PM
    Either your immeasurably unlucky or...... Forgive my skepticism

The Password cannot be changed if the phone is locked, so let's assume that somehow it was in your pocket in the device password change field?, (before we even get there the existing device password has to be entered even if it's unlocked - this to stop someone locking it as a joke I guess)..why anyone would choose to put the phone in their pocket at this critical juncture is not for me to guess, anyway assuming some random gibberish was entered as the New password it then HAS to be entered again in the confirmation field... I find it hard to believe this could happen and the have it press "OK" after?....see pic

If this HAS happened then your screwed and have to do a wipe and reinstall
    Passport password changed by accident!?!?!?!-img_20160326_141844.png

Passport SQW100-4 10.3.2.2836
    03-26-16 02:26 PM
    Type "blackberry" instead of your password, then make sure you type your password in correctly on the next attempt.
    03-26-16 03:52 PM
    Above post worked. This was immeasurably stupid of me. Reading: a skill for life!
    03-26-16 05:27 PM
    Type "blackberry" instead of your password, then make sure you type your password in correctly on the next attempt.
    Yes, I have never understood why this step must be completed. It is very confusing for many people. Why not just have a field saying to enter the password itself. I just don't get it-- someone will enlighten me as to the need to type "blackberry" first, hopefully. If you do a CB search regarding this confusing step, you will see many instances.
    03-26-16 06:15 PM
    Same thing, happened to me yesterday... you're not alone!

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 06:52 PM
    Yes, I have never understood why this step must be completed. It is very confusing for many people. Why not just have a field saying to enter the password itself. I just don't get it-- someone will enlighten me as to the need to type "blackberry" first, hopefully. If you do a CB search regarding this confusing step, you will see many instances.
    Because the device will wipe after 10 failed password attempts. Without the type "blackberry" step, those 10 attempts could easily happen accidentally in your pocket, or perhaps even unintentionally by a young child.
    It is an essential feature.
    LoneStarRed and kthhrrsn like this.
    03-26-16 07:37 PM
    Because the device will wipe after 10 failed password attempts. Without the type "blackberry" step, those 10 attempts could easily happen accidentally in your pocket, or perhaps even unintentionally by a young child.
    It is an essential feature.
    I realize all that. It is essential, but the wording on the warning is not clear enough. They could easily add something such as "You MUST type in the word blackberry first and THEN type in your password."
    03-26-16 08:57 PM
    I realize all that. It is essential, but the wording on the warning is not clear enough. They could easily add something such as "You MUST type in the word blackberry first and THEN type in your password."
    Whenever you try to make something simple and ***** proof a better (or worse) ***** evolves.

The "blackberry" feature is essential. But there will never be a "perfect" way to communicate some instructions.

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."
    03-26-16 09:03 PM