I'm very certain this question has been asked before however I would like to gain fold opinions of either device as they stand right now

I currently have a Google Nexus 6 at the moment and have been deliberating over what to upgrade to, I was watching a CrackBerry Video and from out of nowhere I tried to swipe up from the bottom to exit the active frame (old muscle memory from my Z10 days!)

So I've decided to get a Passport of some variety however unsure which one to get so have a few questions:-

1) For those that transitioned from touch screen, how long did you take to acclimatise to a physical keyboard again?
    2) Does the non SE Passport have the restarting issues that SE Passport owners been reporting or is that specific to the silver passport?
    3) Battery life - how much would moderate to heavy use offer?
    4) Doors it gold onto a signal well? I.e. is it apparent that the Paratek technology is clearly beneficial compared to the norm of Android devices?
    5) How does it perform when combined with Blend?
    11-09-15 10:21 AM
    You know they're the same device right? All of the changes are purely aesthetic.
    11-09-15 10:29 AM
    I know they are the same however I was set for getting the Silver Passport but some users have reported restarting issues compared to those who had an SE then swapped for an OG Passport and didn't have the same issue

I see the ergonomics side of things, i.e. how it feels in the hand, how it fits in your hand is the same but the perceived quality etc is the main difference

I read tour review Bla1ze regarding the SE Passport and that was another contributing factor to it but after the restarting issue that has possibly questioned my choice for going for the SE Passport
    yyz321 likes this.
    11-09-15 10:34 AM
    I never got to play with any Passport but the SE, which a colleague and friend bought because we are using BBM Protected for work, and he loved the idea of Blend. I had a Z30 at the time, which (aside from the relative lack LTE on AT&T 's network) I thought was pretty much the ultimate phone. It didn't tale me long at all to get back my Bold pkb chops and really fly with the Passport -- and the Passport pkb is SO much better! I LOVE this phone.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Aaron Marcinkowski likes this.
    11-09-15 10:42 AM
    Well, I have both, the OG black and the SE... as blaz1e says, it's the same internal but the SE seems to be more balanced with the extra chin, plus the softer kb... regarding the battery, it's very good on both, even though after installing the patch to have the GPS the battery life has decreased (still lasting the whole day)... no restart issues in neither my devices so I cannot comment on that... blend works great, no problems there... now, the kb... it's just so great to be able to write making very few typos if any, or to write without even looking at the kb or even the screen... your type speed will be slow at the beginning coming from a vkb, as you can expect since now you have to press the keys but you will improve once you use it more... the same goes with the tip of your thumbs, they will hurt a bit for few days, but then will go away... now, besides that, the screen is just a too good... not only is bright, but is wide... and that makes a huge difference when looking at emails, documents, even browsing... it is a great device all around...

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 11:02 AM
    I've had a black, red and white OG and now have an SE.

The longer chin and softer keyboard make this decision a no-brainer. If you prefer a different color over the improved keyboard experience go with an OG. Otherwise SE is the way to go.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 09:20 PM
    Well, I have both, the OG black and the SE... as blaz1e says, it's the same internal but the SE seems to be more balanced with the extra chin, plus the softer kb... regarding the battery, it's very good on both, even though after installing the patch to have the GPS the battery life has decreased (still lasting the whole day)... no restart issues in neither my devices so I cannot comment on that... blend works great, no problems there... now, the kb... it's just so great to be able to write making very few typos if any, or to write without even looking at the kb or even the screen... your type speed will be slow at the beginning coming from a vkb, as you can expect since now you have to press the keys but you will improve once you use it more... the same goes with the tip of your thumbs, they will hurt a bit for few days, but then will go away... now, besides that, the screen is just a too good... not only is bright, but is wide... and that makes a huge difference when looking at emails, documents, even browsing... it is a great device all around...

Posted via CB10
    I have both and agree. My preference is definitely the SE. The keyboard is awesome. I went from a Z10 to a Z30 to OG then SE. The transition to the OG was a few days then I was happy to have the physical keyboard again.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 10:59 PM
    I know they are the same however I was set for getting the Silver Passport but some users have reported restarting issues compared to those who had an SE then swapped for an OG Passport and didn't have the same issue

I see the ergonomics side of things, i.e. how it feels in the hand, how it fits in your hand is the same but the perceived quality etc is the main difference

I read tour review Bla1ze regarding the SE Passport and that was another contributing factor to it but after the restarting issue that has possibly questioned my choice for going for the SE Passport
    You're probably referring to my thread about the restart issues.

OP: I went through 2 SEs due to the device restarting itself. Please keep in mind that I have never returned any electronics ever before until I got the Passport SE and all of a sudden, I need to return 2 in a row.

I ended up buying an original Passport and those issues went away.
    The Passport SE certainly looks better but I think the original one has better quality. The plastic trim and body aren't painted like on the SE. Also each trim or panel feels tighter and more durable on the original.

The SE keyboard can't be beat though. The softer keys not only allow you to type faster but it's also less tiring. For example, if I get tired typing one long message on the original, I can probably type three long messages on the SE.

If you're willing to take the risk, I do recommend the SE for the keyboard. If you want a potentially better built device with less issues, get the original.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 11:30 PM
    Since I'm too poor to afford outright, I'm stuck going through att.

Anyone care to chime in on whether the att passport is more comparable to the SE or the standard? It seems form this thread that the majority issue is the "chin " and I know that's one difference the att device does have. Anything else about the keyboard?

FWIW, I'm using this info to help me decide between the priv and the passport

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 05:07 AM
    Anyone compare the keyboard on the ATT version to that on the SE version? I think they might be identical...i know they have the same chin but I'm asking about the feel of the keys while typing.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 01:28 AM

If you're willing to take the risk, I do recommend the SE for the keyboard. If you want a potentially better built device with less issues, get the original.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting, I chose the SE not just for the keyboard but also because most anecdotal info points to it being more solidly built and less prone to 'screen lift'
    11-13-15 02:45 AM
    Posted this in a similar thread.

I'm using an SE now. A bit of background:
    • Was on the iPhone 6+ for about 6 months until about a week ago. I still love my iPhone.
    • Before the iPhone 6+ I was using an OG Passport, until I dropped and destroyed the screen. That was a sad day.
    • Before the OG Passport I was on a Galaxy Nexus.

Thoughts:
    The SE is much heftier than the OG - it feels like you're holding something substantial, indestructible, and designed to last. It feels a lot like I'm holding a small nuclear-powered computer. It's more like a communicator, than a big phone. I personally prefer the SE over the OG because it has the feel of a solid Leica camera. Compared with the SE, the iPhone 6+ feels dainty and fragile.

The SE keyboard is a dream - I'm obsessed with it. It's cushion-y with just the right amount of feedback, and (after about a day) it is effortless to type on. If you mix in some swiping too (esp for short replies) you've got a really enjoyable, easy typing experience. The keyboard feels softer (in a good way) than the OG keyboard.

Out of all the devices out there (the Priv and OG included), I feel like the SE is one of the few that can rival the iPhone in build quality. The finish is positively SICK. I feel like this is the kind of device that I'd be happy to keep using as long as they keep updating the OS. It also doesn't hurt that I can now load Apple Music (via the Android apk), Audible, Slack, Wunderlist, Medium, Instagram, and Buffer on BB10 - along with all the standard apps, so I'm happy as a clam.
    anon(9155131) likes this.
    11-13-15 03:11 AM
    it's been like 12 hours how I got my SE.

it looks really sweet! and feels very premium. keyboard is softer and more comfortable. other than that - same hardware.

but SE is a bit more expensive than OG.
    11-13-15 04:13 AM
    SE got improved steel bezel so it should be more sturdy, and the keyboard is softer so it should be easier to type on.

Also most people agree that SE looks nicer. But it's subjective.

Random reboot is a QA related issue, it's piece-specific and does not depend on brand/version.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    11-13-15 10:41 AM
    Have had both also and prefer the se to the original just has that professional look and feel not that the original passport doesn't the se is just on a different level in the looks department. As far as the se being a problem for reboots and the original not they are the same device with a different case not to sure the different case can cause reboots

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 10:57 AM
    So I went and did it - pulled the trigger on a BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition from Carphone Warehouse and should hopefully have it by tomorrow at some point!!
    11-16-15 11:08 AM
    Will be good to get back onto BB10 again!
    11-16-15 11:09 AM
    Have both and the SE is better in many ways most mentioned above. Like someone else said, unless you don't like the silver color, then it is a no brainier to get the silver. The silver is what finally helped me let go of the Classic and get used to the 3 row keyboard.
    Hope this helps
    Rick

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 02:34 PM

You're probably referring to my thread.

Both devices feel the same in hand for me. I don't notice any benefits or improved comfort for the increased length of the SE. However, the SE keyboard is certainly much better. They keys are softer so not only is it less tiring to type long or multiple messages, I found that I also typed faster as well.

In regards to the build quality, I honestly think the original Passports are built better because the panels feel less flimsy. I'm also not a fan of the painted plastic trim. That means if the device gets scratched or knocked around, the different colored plastic trim will show.

Compared to my LG G2 on the same network and connected to the same cell tower, it not only holds a stronger signal, but the signal is also more consistent (less jumping around of the signal strength).

It's difficult for me to recommend the SE Passport due to the issues I had but the keyboard is a big improvement. If you do decide to get the SE, just keep an eye out for auto-restarts. Not everybody was complaining about it so it may just be a small batch that had this issue. Keep in mind that I bought my 2 SE's within weeks of each other.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 02:51 PM
    Typing this reply on my Passport SE and damn it's REALLY nice!! Love it

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 03:27 PM
    I have the Passport SE, and it is very nice; most of the shell is made of metal, but the small narrow back cover is plastic and I think the strip on the front of the chin is also plastic. Nonetheless it is very solid and looks great: a Bell salesman though it was the Porsche version of the Passport! I think the SE version is slightly longer than the first original plastic Passport, and it requires a different Transform Shell and flip case, as well as SE charging pod.

Posted using my BlackBerry Stainless Steel Passport SE (and I also have the BlackBerry Z30).
    11-17-15 03:32 PM
    Very high end phone. I don't find it to have a very soft keyboard though. Getting used to it

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 05:22 PM
    Silver. For build quality. Also, everyone knows SE can only be bought off-contract.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 10:03 PM
    SE for sure.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 07:03 AM
    SE has a better screen (truly, makes the Passport OG look green). SE has the better keyboard (not soft or mushy, but not hard...clicky but easy, a pleasure to use). The SE has the sturdier build (the OG bends, the OG gets weird grease stains around the rear logo).

The OG is better looking (the SE looks cheesy, but still premium...the OG is modern art). The OG is easier to balance in the hand (hook your middle fingers around those bottom corners for stability (people are wrong when they say the longer chin on the ATT or SE improves balance...it only does if you don't hold the OG right). The OG has a smaller footprint.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 07:14 AM
26 12