So, I've been obsessed with the Passport since it was announced and it will be my entry back into the Crackberry world soon!

Anyhow, I finally saw one in the wild at a restaurant yesterday so I had to approach the man with it. I asked him how he liked it and he said not very much. He still had to carry his iPhone due to apps. I asked if he installed Snap (assuming he knew about it). He thought I was talking about a SnapChat app. I explained to him what Snap was and how he could get mostly any Android app working on the phone. He had no idea what I was talking about. I told him to check out this forum.

There's gotta be some way for BlackBerry to get the general public informed.
    12-04-14 12:41 PM
    Well there's the amazon appstore...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha yeah

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 12:50 PM
    Oh well blackberry sucks at marketing. A major fail. I tell people using blackberry everyday about snap and the android Apk file support. A lot of people dont know blackberry can install android apps. which lead them to leave bb10 to another platform. Those who still have bb10 devices i installed snap for them. Now they love there phone even more.
    12-04-14 12:50 PM
    Yea for people that are running 10.3 . All those other 10.2 OS users some just dont know
    12-04-14 12:52 PM
    While I appreciate the abilities of loading android apps through the Amazon app store or 1Mobile Market orSnap , I am finding it is a more rewarding experience to use the amazing browser directly. I am using an app available for the passport called My Homepage .

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 12:53 PM
    What's Snap?
    PhonePuddin and david7saad like this.
    12-04-14 12:53 PM
    I am finding it is a more rewarding experience to use the amazing browser directly.
    I'm not. I have at least two apps I use every day where the companies abandoned robust mobile design on their site in favor of a commonly distributed Android app.
    12-04-14 01:03 PM
    I have found that the Passport web browser is not identified as a mobile browser and most websites can be displayed as a desktop browser.
    Sorry that some websites you are using don't provide this for you.

Posted via CB10
    srfinva likes this.
    12-04-14 01:15 PM
    I have found that the Passport web browser is not identified as a mobile browser and most websites can be displayed as a desktop browser.
    That's weird. I assumed that leaving Desktop mode turned off would display the mobile version of a site where available.

What do you do, personally, to get around that? It's still clear that, for these two companies at least, their standard websites do not have the convenience of their apps. What I have to research is if they actually have a more useful mobile version after all.
    david7saad likes this.
    12-04-14 01:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    You know you go to settings in the browser and you can set it to Desktop Mode, right?

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-04-14 01:30 PM
    What's Snap?
    It is something I recently installed on a Z10 that I should have done a long time ago. Thought sideloading was some difficult task. Downloaded the Snap bar file and dropped it into the Z10 via SACHESI and done. Used 1mobile forever because I wasn't sure about sideloading. Snap gives you access to a ton of Android apps. I had to dig up my old Google ID to sign in to Snap. Everything is basically there.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 01:31 PM
    Oh man no, you can't install Snap. As an Android developer making free apps, you have no right to steal my intellectual property. If I chose not to support BlackBerry by making the app unavailable to you then deal with it.

You could access my code and patch my apps to remove Google play dependencies, or to remove adds, for all I know.

As a matter of fact, I am going to tweet the Snap dev and threaten with a cease and desist until he makes the app non-functional.

This is unacceptable.

/internalhumor
    Last edited by FrankIAm; 12-04-14 at 03:10 PM.
    12-04-14 01:35 PM
    Not an issue of poor marketing...it is simple that snap is not officially supported by BB.... would open up a hole can of worms legally with regards to Google.... as it only available by side loading it is in essence a product that does not exist in the eyes of BB.... hence no marketing....
    mister2d and david7saad like this.
    12-04-14 01:44 PM
    Not an issue of poor marketing...it is simple that snap is not officially supported by BB.... would open up a hole can of worms legally with regards to Google.... as it only available by side loading it is in essence a product that does not exist in the eyes of BB.... hence no marketing....
    Everything you say regarding Snap is true; however, it's still surprising to see BB10 device owners, running 10.3.x, who seem to be unaware that they can use the included Amazon App Store. Sure, its selection is far less extensive than the Google Play Store, but it's gotta be better than nothing.
    12-04-14 01:52 PM
    So I'm one of those guys who haven't figured out what I can and can not run/load on my new Passport. So how come some apps are not on the app store that came with my phone?....and are those missing apps available if I load this "Snap" thing? In regards to using "Snap" do I need to do something with my desktop also or is this thing all done on my Passport?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 02:35 PM
    What's Snap?
    Some wizardry thy speak of

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.821
    MorgothPT likes this.
    12-04-14 02:48 PM
    Agreed! I'm a technology moron but there aremany great guides on the web even I could do it: How to install Android apps on your BB10 phone - CNET , How to use Snap on BlackBerry 10 to install Android APK files | CrackBerry.com , Install Snap on BlackBerry 10 for unlimited Android app access - CNET , Snap - Red Light Of Love, Ltd.. It is no exaggeration that it has made my Blackberry a more effective tool. Being deaf/hoh I need a special relay app to use the phone not offered at the Amazon store or Blackberry app store. Blackberries were always fantastic communication devices for me with their superior text and email formats. Now i get the phone too!
    12-04-14 03:36 PM
    This is my favorite way to load Snap:

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...taller-902493/

But question: Now, with the Passport, can't the .apk files be loaded directly if we find them on the web/CB? My Passport will be here sometime before Christmas (I hope)!!
    12-04-14 03:51 PM

But question: Now, with the Passport, can't the .apk files be loaded directly if we find them on the web/CB? My Passport will be here sometime before Christmas (I hope)!!
    Yeah, you just need the APK file, but since Snap is basically Google Play, you get the most updated version of any app without having to search around on the internet.
    12-04-14 03:58 PM
    While I appreciate the abilities of loading android apps through the Amazon app store or 1Mobile Market orSnap , I am finding it is a more rewarding experience to use the amazing browser directly. I am using an app available for the passport called My Homepage .

Posted via CB10
    Will you please show us how Instagram works in your browser?
    12-04-14 04:06 PM

Yep .

Snap is more convenient though.
    12-04-14 04:36 PM
    I'm just trying to see why it doesn't come pre-installed lol
    12-04-14 04:49 PM
    I'm just trying to see why it doesn't come pre-installed lol
    Don't want to wake the Google giant..
    12-04-14 04:53 PM
    I think blackberry deal with amazone is funny but there is another store with more than 800.000 apps called 1mobile.

You can download the apk file and installed it.

http://market.1mobile.com/?from=new_version

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 05:00 PM
    Now if we could figure out how to get Here Mapping to work on BB10. I can get the basic program (android version) working, but cannot get a version with voice directions to work.
    12-04-14 05:07 PM
29 12