Lol. Very good, that's exactly the sentiments we feel when you say Hub is archaic and android's messaging system is equal to BlackBerry's.

And BTW, although I understand that there are a lot of apps missing for a lot of BlackBerry users, there aren't for me. I'm perfectly happy with the app situation in BBW. I don't have any android apps on device.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't say Android's messaging system is equal to BlackBerry. I specifically emphasized the Hub gives me no benefits in my own workflow and listed the reasons why. If you refuse rationality,and resort to making up things to argue against, you are really just discussing with yourself and there's very little point in posting it on a discussion forum now, is there?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-10-15 12:32 PM
    . Edit, deleted, kid was playing around.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    Last edited by cukierkas; 05-11-15 at 12:42 AM.
    05-10-15 12:38 PM
    I didn't say Android's messaging system is equal to BlackBerry. I specifically emphasized the Hub gives me no benefits in my own workflow and listed the reasons why. If you refuse rationality,and resort to making up things to argue against, you are really just discussing with yourself and there's very little point in posting it on a discussion forum now, is there?

Wow, I don't even know where to start. You didn't say Android's messaging system is equal to BlackBerry's, yet here you are, an Android user on a BlackBerry fan forum, arguing about the virtues of Android. You may not have said it, but actions speak louder than words. I for one don't care that you love Android or that you switched from BlackBerry, you should use what works best for you. Furthermore, you are scolding me for posting on a BlackBerry fan site with my BlackBerry while you're doing it with your Android?! As far as I'm concerned, I was being perfectly rational, you just mis-understood. When many of us say 'there is no app gap', you call us delusional, even though it is perfectly true for many of us. When you say 'hub is useless and archaic', we have the same response, even though it may be true for you. Good for you.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 01:45 PM
    Wow, I don't even know where to start. You didn't say Android's messaging system is equal to BlackBerry's, yet here you are, an Android user on a BlackBerry fan forum, arguing about the virtues of Android. You may not have said it, but actions speak louder than words. I for one don't care that you love Android or that you switched from BlackBerry, you should use what works best for you. Furthermore, you are scolding me for posting on a BlackBerry fan site with my BlackBerry while you're doing it with your Android?! As far as I'm concerned, I was being perfectly rational, you just mis-understood. When many of us say 'there is no app gap', you call us delusional, even though it is perfectly true for many of us. When you say 'hub is useless and archaic', we have the same response, even though it may be true for you. Good for you.

Posted via CB10
    I think it may be more precise to say that the BlackBerry app gap doesn't matter to a great many BlackBerry folks. Count me in this camp.

I think it is also fair to say that a barebones android release is fairly spartan, and requires a well stocked app store to fill in the gaps, Samsung notwithstanding as they tend to almost overcompensate with too many pre-installed apps!

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    ArcPlug likes this.
    05-10-15 03:59 PM
    Enjoy your blackberry's hub. LMAO!

Note 4 features/specs

Pedometer (step counter)
    Heart rate monitor
    Infared remote control for TV and cable box with tv guide
    Finger print scanner*paypal verified
    16mp camera (lol @passports camera worst ever)
    3gig ram 32gig memory
    =======================
    The passport is a awesome phone. It all depends what you like. If it's for you and makes you happy that's great. For me it was everything I wanted until I tried something else, than I realized whst I was missing out on.

The passport isn't better than the note4 and the note 4 isn't better than the passport. It boils down to opinion and ehat works better for the user.

If the passport had all the android apps working properly and the features i mentioned above I would ve back in a heart beat. I love the screen on the passport..... im out.....
    05-10-15 04:34 PM
    If the passport had all the android apps working properly and the features i mentioned above I would ve back in a heart beat. I love the screen on the passport..... im out.....
    Goodbye!!!!!

I don't understand why people make the argument about Android apps. BlackBerry is NOT a Google product. It's a nice gesture by a company to try and accommodate the app gap. And the fact that there are awesome devs like Cobalt that provide even greater functionality is just icing on the cake. Of course it's not going to be as good of an Android experience as an actual Android phone. If you expected more, you're being naive. Again, are you upset that iOS apps aren't running on the Passport? No!?!? Than why the double standard?

So take your candy bar phablet, enjoy tracking how many steps you walk every day, counting calories, scanning your fingerprint, and documenting your pulse rate, and take your discussions over to XDA. You will enjoy it over there!

I'll continue to lift heavy and eat clean, and I'll save monitoring my heart rate and let the triage nurse take care of that next time I go in for a physical. I bet I'll be just fine.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    Last edited by Poi25; 05-10-15 at 04:56 PM.
    thymaster and anon9347040 like this.
    05-10-15 04:45 PM
    If you bloody hate typing on glass then I'm not sure why you'd get the Note 4.

Good one! Even these short texts I'm writing now eat me up! Okay, I will give the passport a go and see what happens! Enjoy the forum, this one is like reading "gladiators in the coliseum"! ☺
    grover5 likes this.
    05-10-15 05:23 PM
    ^lmao enjoy your hub.

As far as leaving the site that will not happen. I still use my blackberry classic. It's been flawless compared to my passport and works great for calls,e-mail and texting. As for anything else besides that well we all know hiw that goes. So yes I still get to use my "game changing hub" that lets me look at a message LMAO STILL! Oh wait blackberry has a flaslight now as well cool..... it's 2015 not the bold 9000 with social feeds aka the renamed hub.....
    05-10-15 05:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because I didn't say it so since I'm using Android, it must mean Android's communication is better than BlackBerry? Putting words into people's mouths and argue against that is pointless and wastes your own time as well as filling the forum with posts that is essentially you arguing with yourself.

I don't understand how you made that leap in logic or assume two completely irrelevant matters must be related. I use an Android because I returned over 5 defective Q10 and a Passport and unwilling to waste any more time until BlackBerry has their physical keyboard fixed.

BlackBerry's app gap is an objective truth. The company acknowledges it; it hopes to resolve it; there are figures to support it; posts asking for functionality from apps not available/usable on BlackBerry with no resolutions.

I said Hub has little practical usage for my work flow is also an objective truth, but generalizing that and saying if I said it's not for me, I must have been saying it's not for everybody and in turn saying it must be inferior and bad is just plain irrational. If you are going to argue with a hypothetical argument you made up yourself, why don't you do it with a mirror? That will save everyone some scrolling.

05-10-15 07:32 PM
    Sometimes I don't understand why people spend so much money on health stuff on their phones when it really means nothing because they are not taking the initiatives to take care of yourself in the first place. If it makes them feel better to have these technologies beside them then I guess let them be. Sigh.

So take your candy bar phablet, enjoy tracking how many steps you walk every day, counting calories, scanning your fingerprint, and documenting your pulse rate, and take your discussions over to XDA. You will enjoy it over there!

I'll continue to lift heavy and eat clean, and I'll save monitoring my heart rate and let the triage nurse take care of that next time I go in for a physical. I bet I'll be just fine.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-10-15 08:53 PM
    HUB is one of the best feature of BB10, can imagine to go back to the days of checking info in individual apps any more.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    05-10-15 09:36 PM
    This thread has been very interesting to read as a former Android user. I think the Note 4 without question is a better phone but I still like the Passport, the shape is really growing on me.

I'm a big time media user and find the Passport adequate but not great, the Hub is nice but I'm not a heavy messager so it isn't a big deal to me.

I'll keep this phone until the next unique phone comes out no matter the operating system. I do not stick to one I just like something different... im waiting for a phone with a complete wrap around screen

Posted via CB10
    islandp likes this.
    05-10-15 10:00 PM
    This thread has been very interesting to read as a former Android user. I think the Note 4 without question is a better phone but I still like the Passport, the shape is really growing on me.

I'm a big time media user and find the Passport adequate but not great, the Hub is nice but I'm not a heavy messager so it isn't a big deal to me.

I'll keep this phone until the next unique phone comes out no matter the operating system. I do not stick to one I just like something different... im waiting for a phone with a complete wrap around screen

Posted via CB10
    That's the way to be. OS agnostic. You may like this :

https://yotaphone.com/ca-en/

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    05-10-15 10:07 PM
    Great lively debate folks. To answer a question about multitasking, I would say that the app button on the bottom left corner of the Note was more convenient than the classic home button on say an iPhone, but it's still not as fast and efficient as swiping on BB10 in my opinion. And, the size of the Note 4 makes it difficult to do get to the bottom left corner with hand easily. Again, my opinion, but I could get around apps and multitasking, especially with one hand, a lot easier on the Passport. One must balance that out with the benefit of the huge screen on the Note 4. As for the email tool, once you compare the options and features, as well as the formatting, I found the BB10 messaging system for email much much better than the Note 4. I didn't document what was missing, but the differences in messaging features is a common thing I have heard between Blackberry and most other mobile OS's.

On notifications, not to beat a dead horse, but I'll give you an example. On the Passport, it's very simple for me to assign individually, by each separate notification mode (silent, normal, vibrate, etc...) how each and every app will respond, by color, vibrate, sound, pop up notification, etc... For instance, I could have BBM pop up notification and vibrate and have a blue LED, and Whatsapp can be silent, have no pop up notification, but have the green LED light up. I could not accomplish the same thing on Android on even one setting, never mind individual settings for each messaging app by notification type. On Android, the app setting would sometimes be overridden by the global settings by the OS, which would affect multiple messaging apps instead of individual ones. Not a huge deal for some people, but how messages come through is important because it helps me prioritize without having to pick up the phone. For me, the less I have to pick up the phone the happier I am. This is very easy and straightforward to do on BB10.

It sounds like there are workarounds to make the Note 4 OS with different apps and widgets and such work much like the Hub, but I wasn't able to replicate it easily. Additionally, I have read many complaints by critics with how you have to use workarounds with BB10 to make certain apps work, Google integration, sideload, etc... so it's nice to have something native in BB10 that works extremely well (Hub) without having to accommodate workarounds at all. Hey, we can be happy when the shoe is on the other foot once in a while!

I always thought BB10 was a tinkering OS with the sideloading and other workarounds, but even though there is that ability, I find the OS easy and intuitive to use once you have the hang of it. Overall, I found the OS on the Note 4 more complicated and confusing to use. Now, if you put in the time and effort, I am sure you can get an end result that is exactly tailored to what you need (possibly) but I couldn't get close to it with one weeks use as a daily driver and I'm not mobile OS illiterate, I tried a bunch of things out. Not sure that is saying much but that's the feedback I have.
    thymaster likes this.
    05-11-15 01:12 AM
    On notifications, not to beat a dead horse, but I'll give you an example. On the Passport, it's very simple for me to assign individually, by each separate notification mode (silent, normal, vibrate, etc...) how each and every app will respond, by color, vibrate, sound, pop up notification, etc... For instance, I could have BBM pop up notification and vibrate and have a blue LED, and Whatsapp can be silent, have no pop up notification, but have the green LED light up. I could not accomplish the same thing on Android on even one setting, never mind individual settings for each messaging app by notification type. On Android, the app setting would sometimes be overridden by the global settings by the OS, which would affect multiple messaging apps instead of individual ones. Not a huge deal for some people, but how messages come through is important because it helps me prioritize without having to pick up the phone. For me, the less I have to pick up the phone the happier I am. This is very easy and straightforward to do on BB10.
    This is one feature Google will eventually get around to implementing, I think. Unfortunately, with newer handsets like the Moto X 2014, Nexus 6, and many others with AMOLED panels, they're using the Active Display type of notifications where they show certain text or graphics by lighting up specific pixels on the display, while others remain off. This saves battery life and I guess is the direction they're going. How Motorola implemented it was quite nice actually. Infrared sensors are on the front, so you can wave your hand over the phone to briefly wake it and touch the small circle if a notification icon exists to see a quick snippet. If it's something you care about, you can pick up the phone and deal with it. If not, you can carry on doing what you're doing. That was one of the better implementations. But nonetheless, on a lot of newer devices, there isn't an LED at all!

The first thing I would do once I rooted and added Xposed to my Androids was add XLED or LightFlow. Again, you need root and/or a modified framework which a lot of people don't want to do. Even then, I never found it to be as seamless and easy as BB's LED notifications natively. In BB they cycle perfectly. Never was the case for me on the Android side.

Assigning LED colors just makes sense for notifications. At least I think so.
    05-11-15 01:37 AM
    This is an interesting thread, at least to me, because I leave my Note 3 in the drawer most of the time in favor of my Passport. I'm a business user. I use the Note 3 only occasionally for reading and controlling my TV.

I think the Hub has more value for people who get communications via several different channels all of the time. I have three email accounts, BBM and text messaging constantly firing. On my android I have to check each one. And the notifications can get a little crazy. If you prioritize your communications by account I can see how the hub would have less value.

I've been a proponent of the no app gap argument since I figured out how to get Google Play on my phone. I was able to get everything working on my BlackBerry that I regularly used on my android except for Chromecast. But I've retreated a little. First it is a bit of a tinkering exercise to get some apps on and running. But more importantly, android apps generally seem to run my battery down much faster. I don't know whether that is a function of the BlackBerry android runtime or just endemic to android apps, but it led me to delete most of them.

Finally, I use my phone as a mini laptop sometimes. Swapping between running apps (like browser and email, or translator and sms) on the BlackBerry is much easier and more intuitive, for me.

I have to say, though, that I have a few android devices and 5.1x is a major step forward for the OS.

Posted via CB 10 on my Passport
    sophace likes this.
    05-11-15 12:10 PM
    This is an interesting thread, at least to me, because I leave my Note 3 in the drawer most of the time in favor of my Passport. I'm a business user. I use the Note 3 only occasionally for reading and controlling my TV.

I think the Hub has more value for people who get communications via several different channels all of the time. I have three email accounts, BBM and text messaging constantly firing. On my android I have to check each one. And the notifications can get a little crazy. If you prioritize your communications by account I can see how the hub would have less value.

I've been a proponent of the no app gap argument since I figured out how to get Google Play on my phone. I was able to get everything working on my BlackBerry that I regularly used on my android except for Chromecast. But I've retreated a little. First it is a bit of a tinkering exercise to get some apps on and running. But more importantly, android apps generally seem to run my battery down much faster. I don't know whether that is a function of the BlackBerry android runtime or just endemic to android apps, but it led me to delete most of them.

Finally, I use my phone as a mini laptop sometimes. Swapping between running apps (like browser and email, or translator and sms) on the BlackBerry is much easier and more intuitive, for me.

I have to say, though, that I have a few android devices and 5.1x is a major step forward for the OS.

I know lots of smartphone users only use sms to communicate, many has only one email, many don't even use their calendar to organize their life. For those people I can see HUB being a moot feature.

Then there are prosumers.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    mnc76 likes this.
    05-11-15 01:24 PM

I think the hub is great and I do miss it on my device. But you're right about 5.1 as a vast improvement. Task switching is much better now but I still like the way BB does it as well.

05-11-15 02:40 PM
    Passport hardware Is 10 times better than any samsung..fridge or phones. And nothing beats the hub on productivity.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    05-12-15 06:57 AM
    Passport hardware Is 10 times better than any samsung..fridge or phones. And nothing beats the hub on productivity.

Posted via CB10
    Uh... Passport's hardware was outdated even comparing to the Note 4.

Passport's hardware were only comparable to mid-range Android phones released in that period, certainly far behind the flagships which are at the same price level.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong to not participate in the specs war, but what you said is certainly not true.

Last edited by ATFC; 05-13-15 at 02:22 AM.
    anon(8080272) likes this.
    05-12-15 07:27 PM
    Uh... Passport's hardware was outdated even comparing to the Note 4 that was released before Passport.

Passport's hardware were only comparable to mid-range Android phones released in that period, certainly far behind the flagships which are at the same price level.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong to not participate in the specs war, but what you said is certainly not true.

4 cylinders of Toyota and 4 cylinders of Mercedes-Benz are not equal!!! Passport hardware is not outdated!

 Diplomatic Passport 
    05-13-15 02:08 AM
    4 cylinders of Toyota and 4 cylinders of Mercedes-Benz are not equal!!! Passport hardware is not outdated!

 Diplomatic Passport 
    Uh...Blackberry sources most of their hardware, they are not made in house. They come from the same sources as the other manufacturers. How does Snapdragon 801 differs from 810, you certainly can't say they're just different and 810 is not an improved chip because 801 is just different. There's no problem with driving a Toyota, but driving a Toyota and thinking it were a Mercedes-Benz, that is a problem.

05-13-15 02:21 AM
    I too ventured to a Note for a few weeks to try and genuinely use it, had to crawl back to my Passport. Whilst using the Note, I found myself calling my clients to see if they received my emails. I know that was silly and non-sensical of me, but I felt like I had to.

...eleven BlackBerrys and counting....
    05-13-15 02:22 AM
    Uh...Blackberry sources most of their hardware, they are not made in house. They come from the same sources as the other manufacturers. How does Snapdragon 801 differs from 810, you certainly can't say they're just different and 810 is not an improved chip because 801 is just different. There's no problem with driving a Toyota, but driving a Toyota and thinking it were a Mercedes-Benz, that is a problem.

Its depends how you optimise hardware with software!! Passport is beast with OS10! I have used same kind of processor with 2Ghz Ram in Android but couldn't last 6 months! So for me and many others Passport is still a beast! My Passport never lack of ram, never hang and battery last 15-18 hours with heavy use! NO OTHER OS OR PHONE IS OFFERING THE SAME!! You carry on with your Toyota publicity and I am happy with my Passport.

 Diplomatic Passport 
    ArcPlug likes this.
    05-13-15 02:38 AM

Ahhhh...you use Note 3 as TV remote???

 Diplomatic Passport 
    05-13-15 02:41 AM
110 12345