07-12-16 01:55 PM
110 123 ...
tools
    Hi All,

I couldn't use my Passport for a week so I purchased a Samsung Note 4 to give it a test drive and see if they could convert me over. For reference I have been a BB user back to the original email only unit, and I did test drive an iPhone 4 years ago which I promptly hated (lack of keyboard and having to do EVERYTHING through iTunes drove me crazy). I thought I would give the Note 4 a look because of it's fantastic screen, my familiarity with Android apps, and I wanted to give the Android OS and Google integration a closer look. My thoughts below -

The Good -

- fantastic screen on the device, it's big and bright, great colors, and the screen real estate makes up for the massive size
    - fit and finish of the unit was good, felt thin light but solid, I liked the textured matte back cover
    - massive battery to match massive screen, the battery life was fairly solid. If you played games on it you will burn through the battery, as with any phone
    - power features to lengthen battery life are great. You could take the phone down to black and white to conserve power, which is a cool and effective feature. Would like to see more textured battery life measures in the BB10 OS.
    - Google integration in general is strong. Between gmail, google now, google docs, picassa, etc... the integration with Google's ecosystem is solid and intelligently integrated, this is a huge plus for people who live in the Google ecosystem
    - overall, if you are a game junkie or snapchat user or whatever else isn't supported by BB10 yet, it's great to have full access to everything that is offered. (I'm not a huge gamer and I can get what I need from BB World, Snap, or Amazon store)

The Meh -

- the Samsung Pen was OK. Didn't really use it but I get that could take time to really utilize well
    - all the other whizbang features - IR remote, heart sensor, etc... for me no big deal but I could see some people would like that

The Bad -

- Messaging!!! If people on Android could see what messaging is like on BB10 with the Hub, I think we could convert a chunk of people alone with that discovery. I personally use - email, text, BBM, Whatsapp, Facebook, and Twitter. On Android, it's infuriating to have to open each individual application in order to respond. If I am on the web and someone BBM's me, i have to open BBM. If I'm on email and I get a whatsapp, I have to open whatsapp. Texting is a separate app as well. It's crazy. Maybe I didn't set it up properly, but I asked others and that was just the norm. Totally frustrating and time consuming when you have used BB10's Hub. Blackberry still rules messaging.
    - The email client is quite poor. If you have multiple accounts, including work and personal (I have 3 - gmail, outlook, and work Outlook) the overall client looks terrible. Perhaps I needed time to get used to it, but emails didn't read as nicely and some responses had terrible formatting. It wasn't as feature rich in what you could set with email and how to respond either. It wasn't a deal breaker but felt primitive in comparison to BB10.
    - the overall interface is a little confusing as well. I tried Google Now, which puts a new launcher on the phone which was better than what came with the native Samsung client, but it was pretty plain jane. The Samsung skin was feature rich, but felt a little gimmicky. I put this more to what I am used to, but it was a bit confusing that in order to get some cool features from google now, you have a totally different interface.
    - swiping on the BB10 OS seems more efficient than the constant home page button or back button in the lower left corner. Again, this could be what I am used to, but I can still work the Passport with one hand very easily, where with the Note 4, you always had to press the home key or back key at some point and could not really work it one handed at all.
    - it's a very very short time frame to compare, but most people noticed the call quality when speaking was not great. Someone even asked if I got a new phone.

Conclusion -

As you can see most of my issues with the Note 4 come from the OS. I am sure some of that is because of my lack of familiarity with the Android OS and the habits I have created through my use of BB10. But, if your phone is largely used for work and messaging vs. gaming and watching movies, I think Passport users would have a hard time moving over to the Note 4. The Samsung unit has an outstanding screen and internal hardware, but I really missed BB10's Hub and the disjointed nature of the Android OS left me wanting more. I can see why the Note 4 is so popular but I couldn't use it as my daily driver for work and personal use. Even though the Passport has it's faults like all phones do, I returned the Note 4 and am happy to go back to the Passport.
    Last edited by sophace; 05-07-15 at 04:29 PM.
    05-07-15 04:16 PM
    I'd have to agree with you on all fronts. I'm a seasoned Android user/dev/modder who switched to BlackBerry recently. You can definitely address a lot of those issues, but it gets into tinkering land on Android, which a lot of people don't want to do.

With root and Xposed framework, you can change a lot of things on Android for the better. I'm not much of a TouchWiz fan (Samsung's skin) and prefer stock Android. A lot of your frustrations remain though.

The only thing I miss about Google/Android is Google Voice and Hangouts integration. For years, my main phone number was my Google Voice number. You point the number to whatever phone number you want: your office phone, multiple cell phones, landlines. You can set up times to ring certain numbers, or ring them all. Texts were integrated into Hangouts, so I could send and receive text messages from any Chrome browser, any tablet, any phone. It was just all there and better than Blend in that regard. And there's free WiFi calling, so without a cellular connection I could still make free calls anywhere in the world from my phone number, with just a WiFi connection.

I ported out and gave all that up for BlackBerry. That's the only thing I miss. But with Google Voice, you truly don't NEED a cellular contract. If you live and work around constant WiFi you can send all the texts you want and make free calls.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-07-15 04:26 PM
    Nice review OP. I concur on messaging. I use a Nexus 6 as my daily driver. I love many things about it but I miss the hub badly. The new cardstack in lollipop has made me miss active frames less.
    05-07-15 04:33 PM
    I use a Nexus 6 as my daily driver.
    You gonna try Project Fi?

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-07-15 04:37 PM
    You gonna try Project Fi?

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    I thought about it but I have 6 lines on a T-Mobile plan and it wouldn't be an advantage to pull my line out. It would cost me more so for now I'm going to wait and see how it develops.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-07-15 04:40 PM
    Haha this is almost everything I'm dealing with right now. I gave up my passport in December for a Note 4. I'm almost to the point where I want to go back. Really liking the ATT version of the passport.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Note 4
    sophace likes this.
    05-07-15 04:52 PM
    JW - nice to see I wasn't the only one going through it. I had no idea how terrible messaging was on Android products or conversely, how good BB10 is in comparison.
    05-07-15 04:56 PM
    Hi All,I couldn't use my Passport for a week so I purchased a Samsung Note 4 to give it a test drive and see if they could convert me over. For reference I have been a BB user back to the original email only unit, and I did test drive an iPhone 4 years ago which I promptly hated (lack of keyboard and having to do EVERYTHING through iTunes drove me crazy). I thought I would give the Note 4 a look because of it's fantastic screen, my familiarity with Android apps, and I wanted to give the Android OS and Google integration a closer look. My thoughts below - The Good - - fantastic screen on the device, it's big and bright, great colors, and the screen real estate makes up for the massive size- fit and finish of the unit was good, felt thin light but solid, I liked the textured matte back cover- massive battery to match massive screen, the battery life was fairly solid. If you played games on it you will burn through the battery, as with any phone- power features to lengthen battery life are great. You could take the phone down to black and white to conserve power, which is a cool and effective feature. Would like to see more textured battery life measures in the BB10 OS.- Google integration in general is strong. Between gmail, google now, google docs, picassa, etc... the integration with Google's ecosystem is solid and intelligently integrated, this is a huge plus for people who live in the Google ecosystem- overall, if you are a game junkie or snapchat user or whatever else isn't supported by BB10 yet, it's great to have full access to everything that is offered. (I'm not a huge gamer and I can get what I need from BB World, Snap, or Amazon store)The Meh - - the Samsung Pen was OK. Didn't really use it but I get that could take time to really utilize well- all the other whizbang features - IR remote, heart sensor, etc... for me no big deal but I could see some people would like thatThe Bad - - Messaging!!! If people on Android could see what messaging is like on BB10 with the Hub, I think we could convert a chunk of people alone with that discovery. I personally use - email, text, BBM, Whatsapp, Facebook, and Twitter. On Android, it's infuriating to have to open each individual application in order to respond. If I am on the web and someone BBM's me, i have to open BBM. If I'm on email and I get a whatsapp, I have to open whatsapp. Texting is a separate app as well. It's crazy. Maybe I didn't set it up properly, but I asked others and that was just the norm. Totally frustrating and time consuming when you have used BB10's Hub. Blackberry still rules messaging.- The email client is quite poor. If you have multiple accounts, including work and personal (I have 3 - gmail, outlook, and work Outlook) the overall client looks terrible. Perhaps I needed time to get used to it, but emails didn't read as nicely and some responses had terrible formatting. It wasn't as feature rich in what you could set with email and how to respond either. It wasn't a deal breaker but felt primitive in comparison to BB10.- the overall interface is a little confusing as well. I tried Google Now, which puts a new launcher on the phone which was better than what came with the native Samsung client, but it was pretty plain jane. The Samsung skin was feature rich, but felt a little gimmicky. I put this more to what I am used to, but it was a bit confusing that in order to get some cool features from google now, you have a totally different interface.- swiping on the BB10 OS seems more efficient than the constant home page button or back button in the lower left corner. Again, this could be what I am used to, but I can still work the Passport with one hand very easily, where with the Note 4, you always had to press the home key or back key at some point and could not really work it one handed at all.- it's a very very short time frame to compare, but most people noticed the call quality when speaking was not great. Someone even asked if I got a new phone.Conclusion - As you can see most of my issues with the Note 4 come from the OS. I am sure some of that is because of my lack of familiarity with the Android OS and the habits I have created through my use of BB10. But, if your phone is largely used for work and messaging vs. gaming and watching movies, I think Passport users would have a hard time moving over to the Note 4. The Samsung unit has an outstanding screen and internal hardware, but I really missed BB10's Hub and the disjointed nature of the Android OS left me wanting more. I can see why the Note 4 is so popular but I couldn't use it as my daily driver for work and personal use. Even though the Passport has it's faults like all phones do, I returned the Note 4 and am happy to go back to the Passport.
    Nice summary.I own a Passport and also Note Edge and have been a Blackberry user from day one. I think the two OS's could not be different. Your spot on about the awkwardness of the android OS as it is very long winded and too much navigating to get to anything. I think android in my opinion seems a very bolt it together type OS and see if it works! It also seems to be largely dependent on the phone manufacturer and the bloat ware they load on top of the OS. I also find that android needs more horsepower to use and android system than BBY does. Blackberry on the other hand is near perfect in the way it works. The hub is well light yrs ahead, the seamless movement of accessing around the folders is so easy. I cannot understand anyone who cannot see how far advanced OS10 is compared to android and apple. BBY not only makes things super easy but adds that air of quality about the OS maybe it is this that normal average users don'g get, maybe they want fish n chips instead of a sirloin who knows! Blackberry OS = 10/10Slick, fluid, secure, super easy to use, just flows seamlessly. Windows OS = 8.5/10Very visual, integrates and decent for work and pleasure. Android OS = 7/10Fun, lots going on and capable on the business front. Apple OS = 4/10 Stayed, boring/dull and not innovative, copy cat from other OS's.
    sophace and MGO like this.
    05-07-15 05:28 PM
    Op you are spot on with your review. If you're a serious business users Blackberry is the way to go. Apps is not a priority for business and professional users. It's the productivity and efficiency of BB10 and BlackBerry keyboard technologies that drives people to stay loyal to this platform.

I don't mean to be negative toward Android but I don't have anything to look forward to if I were to go back to that platform. The customization doesn't make it a better OS and the way the phone handles messaging is cumbersome.

Samsung is the hardware spec king but their phones doesn't run any better then any other Android phone. It's 2015 and there's no excuse for a laggy OS.

Samsung and BlackBerry is a battle of quantity vs. quality. Samsung throwing in all their top specs as a selling point and BlackBerry focus on the better user experience. Call me me old fashion but I prefer quality.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 01:01 AM
    I'm almost to the point where I want to go back. Really liking the ATT version of the passport.
    You'll like it. I settled on the AT&T Passport after trying both. Better typing and wireless charging are nice.
    05-08-15 01:05 AM
    I have to say if the Note 4 runs BB10 I would switch phone in a heartbeat. But it's just me.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.1.2576
    05-08-15 08:42 AM
    I have to say if the Note 4 runs BB10 I would switch phone in a heartbeat. But it's just me.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.1.2576
    If it is only the hub you are after, my solution is to add a shortcut launcher. I think the name is SwipePad, which gives you shortcuts to apps of your choice by swiping with from an edge or a corner. Use it with the notification shade, and you have functionally the same thing as the hub though the UI is definitely still disjointed but it takes the same number of steps to deal with messages. There is also a new app called Drupe, I think, that has a floating transparent icon on one edge and you can swipe to deal with all communications (again you have to use it with the notification shade to get the same productivity as the Hub). If communication is your priority then you can always use widgets on home screen or even the Hub app (which aggregated all notifications indiscriminately and you have to deselect each app to customize to your likings). My Home screen is always my agenda and notes, IFTTT buttons on one, and Tasks and Twitter's news feed (I use it literally for breaking news only) on a second page. Android widgets are extremely productive and often underrated, most are interactive, so I almost never need to go to my app drawer at work.

To get the most out of Android you sometimes do need two apps that are suppose do the same thing but you do get double the functionality comparing to BB10. E.g. I use both Business Calendar but also Google Calendar, the former is incredibly quick at setting up an appointment and checking appointments (both functions are certainly better than BB10's calendar) but I still need Google Calendar to intelligent suggest location to work with Google Now.

05-08-15 09:10 AM
    ATFC you bring up another point I didn't like about notifications in Android. With BB10 everything is controlled from one area, where you can make settings by profile for all applications, everything from pop up notification, led light, color, length of vibrate, etc...

In Android, depending on the app, some settings had to be made within the app, others had to be made within the settings of the OS, and others had to be managed by both. I found it much more confusing and harder to get the settings exactly how you want, and have changes reflect profiles like sounds, to vibrate, to silent. It's a small thing you take for granted in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    will308 likes this.
    05-08-15 10:18 AM
    Op you are spot on with your review. If you're a serious business users Blackberry is the way to go. Apps is not a priority for business and professional users. It's the productivity and efficiency of BB10 and BlackBerry keyboard technologies that drives people to stay loyal to this platform.

I don't mean to be negative toward Android but I don't have anything to look forward to if I were to go back to that platform. The customization doesn't make it a better OS and the way the phone handles messaging is cumbersome.

Samsung is the hardware spec king but their phones doesn't run any better then any other Android phone. It's 2015 and there's no excuse for a laggy OS.

Samsung and BlackBerry is a battle of quantity vs. quality. Samsung throwing in all their top specs as a selling point and BlackBerry focus on the better user experience. Call me me old fashion but I prefer quality.

Posted via CB10
    Actually I get more done with android for work due to my university going all in on google apps. I need tight integration with gmail, google calendar and google drive. But I still miss the hub and still use my Z10 and Q5 from time to time. If BB releases the hub for android I will definitely test it on my Nexus 6.

05-08-15 10:51 AM
    ATFC you bring up another point I didn't like about notifications in Android. With BB10 everything is controlled from one area, where you can make settings by profile for all applications, everything from pop up notification, led light, color, length of vibrate, etc...

In Android, depending on the app, some settings had to be made within the app, others had to be made within the settings of the OS, and others had to be managed by both. I found it much more confusing and harder to get the settings exactly how you want, and have changes reflect profiles like sounds, to vibrate, to silent. It's a small thing you take for granted in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    But if you change the system profile on Android, it overrides the app ones. I.e. If you change the system profile to silent or vibrate, no app notification will make sound regardless of app settings. The only time I think it can cause any confusion is if you opened media, because notifications, media, call, and alarm are four different tracks, since the system assumes if you launch a media, you want to hear it and that you would be using reminders instead of alarm clock if you don't want to be notified of a reminder when in silent mode. It's different but I really don't see how that is confusing to be completely honest.

05-08-15 04:10 PM
    I did the opposite. I changed to Passport after months using a Note 4. What I miss? Super fast charging, the screen and the camera. I think the passport is unique. More strong in all aspects, but is not for everyone.
    05-08-15 11:57 PM
    I did the opposite. I changed to Passport after months using a Note 4. What I miss? Super fast charging, the screen and the camera. I think the passport is unique. More strong in all aspects, but is not for everyone.
    Actually, I'm curious but do you think BlackBerry's greatest contributing factor to the extra battery life is the overall use requiring less screen on time. Can you give an estimate of the screen on time based on your personal use of the phones how the screen on times compare.

On paper, the Passport's hardware is not more power efficient than Note 4 and even the extra battery capacity should not be enough to offset the Snapdragon 805's power efficiency which uses 20% less power than 801 and 800.

This will help the users struggling with battery to determine how to get the battery life they want and I'm thinking they need to work with the OS rather than asking the OS to work for them and pretend the phone is an Android handset.

05-09-15 12:06 AM
    But if you change the system profile on Android, it overrides the app ones. I.e. If you change the system profile to silent or vibrate, no app notification will make sound regardless of app settings.
    Try turning on Blocking Mode on a Samsung phone with Whatsapp installed and let me know what happens.
    05-09-15 01:41 AM
    Good post - and great piece of kit except for it has the biggest problem in my view that exists on a whole host of phones: bloatwear and lots of it, unremovable to.
    05-09-15 02:07 AM
    The other reason why I hate Samsung phones. Endless bloatwares that won't go away. Sometimes you think you have eliminated them but they still run in the background and probably data mining your phone.

Good post - and great piece of kit except for it has the biggest problem in my view that exists on a whole host of phones: bloatwear and lots of it, unremovable to.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 02:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Using a BlackBerry is not old fashioned!!! Its practical and intelligent, how you do things in less efforts!

 Diplomatic Passport 
    05-09-15 05:41 AM
    You'll like it. I settled on the AT&T Passport after trying both. Better typing and wireless charging are nice.
    THIS^^^
    I want to have wireless charging so BADLY for my Passport. My version doesn't support it. Hik.
    05-09-15 05:59 AM
    I had been an Android user all my life until over a month ago when I switched to BlackBerry with my beloved Passport. Don't think I miss anything on Android. Everything I did there I could do better, faster and more efficiently with the Passport. I could actually use it for work, in tandem with my Laptop. Typing on the Passport is heaven and the overall supporting system and apps, including Blend, they complete me wonderfully with my job. I could not have done it at all on the Android. Tried to do the same with WPS app (office app) but it is incompatible with the office 2010 on my laptop and cumbersome to boot.

I still use an android now, but just for playing games, especially RPGs. I don't play games on my Passport,

Now, if only my Passport version supports wireless charging. Dammit.
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 05-09-15 at 10:06 AM.
    05-09-15 06:06 AM
    My wife has the note 4. We traded phones for a week. After 3 days I got my z10 out to use. She didn't want to give my passport back even after the week was up. The only thing she didn't like about the Passport was the lack of kid apps for our son. Now she knows why and how I am able to reply to any message faster than her! She absolutely loves the hub!!

What is that?! That my friend is my BlackBerry Passport.
    05-09-15 06:46 AM
    I too was hugely attracted seeing S6 Edge on a shop. It's display and device build was truely outstanding and unmatched today among all phones. It was quite well fitting in hand and not bulky feel. But, the hesitation was The Android OS. if it would have been BB OS, I would have purchased instantly.
    Why can't BB produce such a high end device in today's context? It's perfectly OK, if blackberry has diverted attention for only developing software, why can't BB OS be loaded on Samsung devices? I am using Z30 since Oct 2013. I am simply using it because of BB OS and hub.
    05-09-15 07:38 AM
110 123 ...