Uh... Passport's hardware was outdated even comparing to the Note 4.

Passport's hardware were only comparable to mid-range Android phones released in that period, certainly far behind the flagships which are at the same price level.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong to not participate in the specs war, but what you said is certainly not true.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I like you ATFC! Nah, I like your determination or may be your loyalty

 Diplomatic Passport 
    05-13-15 02:45 AM
    Uh...Blackberry sources most of their hardware, they are not made in house. They come from the same sources as the other manufacturers. How does Snapdragon 801 differs from 810, you certainly can't say they're just different and 810 is not an improved chip because 801 is just different. There's no problem with driving a Toyota, but driving a Toyota and thinking it were a Mercedes-Benz, that is a problem.

BTW, Mercedes is powered by QNX!!!

 Diplomatic Passport 
    05-13-15 02:59 AM
    O

I've never got "has stopped responding" ever! "Lag" I've haven't had that since I used my passport.

- How many times have you experienced a flickering screen? I did
    - How many times did your passport reboot randomly? I did
    - How many times did you try to wake your pass port up and it wouldn't respond so you had to use the lock key to wake it? Hundreds
    - Have you ever had a fatal error screen and lose all your information and reload the OS? Just once
    - Have you ever tried to dial a number from a web page and couldn't? Many times
    - How awesome is cut and paste on the passport? Horrible
    - Have you used the maps on the passport? Just like my bb pearl
    - How is the android player on the passport? Aspect ratio and require google services. Horrible, many apps off, the popular app I needed
    - How is the double type issue? It's happening
    - How is the app/game selection? Trash
    - How is blackberry link? Lmao

Blackberry HUB? Lol seriously?
    "I can swipe to the left and look at my messages instead of simply looking at a home screen"

As far as whatever the rest you typed doesn't matter because you seem to be just like something everyone has....
    Who told you to load leaks? You did!

 Diplomatic Passport 
    BoldBigWorm likes this.
    05-13-15 05:31 AM
    I don't think it's fair to say the Passport's hardware was outdated, or only comparable to midlevel Android phones. It was not the absolute top top of the line when released, but it was very close to it, and it came with some unique differences like the wide screen and touch enabled keyboard. But as other people have mentioned, the hardware wars are silly in my opinion. The iPhone 6, one of the most popular phones ever only has 326 PPI in it's display, 1 gig of Ram, 8MP camera, 1800 mAh battery, etc... all much lower than the Passport and Note 4. If hardware is all that matters why did Apple sell 10 million of them in 3 days? Hardware wars are silly in my opinion, and in the Passports case, it came to the table well armed.
    grover5 and ArcPlug like this.
    05-13-15 12:58 PM
    I don't think it's fair to say the Passport's hardware was outdated, or only comparable to midlevel Android phones. It was not the absolute top top of the line when released, but it was very close to it, and it came with some unique differences like the wide screen and touch enabled keyboard. But as other people have mentioned, the hardware wars are silly in my opinion. The iPhone 6, one of the most popular phones ever only has 326 PPI in it's display, 1 gig of Ram, 8MP camera, 1800 mAh battery, etc... all much lower than the Passport and Note 4. If hardware is all that matters why did Apple sell 10 million of them in 3 days? Hardware wars are silly in my opinion, and in the Passports case, it came to the table well armed.
    You're not wrong. However, let's get back to the quote that was being responded to:

Passport hardware Is 10 times better than any samsung..fridge or phones. And nothing beats the hub on productivity.

Posted via CB10
    That statement was flat out false.
    05-13-15 01:29 PM
    Leak? I never ran a leak bud. Your psychic abilities that you think you have are not currently working. I thought that I didn't have the " flickering " issue after the Telus official updated because it went awapy after a restart but it kept on coming back. I fixed it by running the patch one of the crackberry members did a tutorial on. The issues I had with the passport didn't bother me because I loved the screen and keyboard so much. I only left because of the app situation. I'm a gadget freak and my home is pretty tricked out with.
    -dropcam
    -nest
    -garage door(lift master 8500)
    -washer/dryer
    -outdoor lights
    -sirus radio

Most of those devices ran with the passport(android player)but not to the full potential or aspect ratio. So I figured I'd give the Note4 a try and all my devices worked flawlessly. Plus being able to use Utorrent directly on my device was awesome, downloading music, e-books and apps for free on the spot. I got norton suite on it before people speak about virus..

All in all passport is an amazing device and has more to offer than the overated "hub" lmao still...
    05-13-15 11:13 PM
    Leak? I never ran a leak bud. Your psychic abilities that you think you have are not currently working. I thought that I didn't have the " flickering " issue after the Telus official updated because it went awapy after a restart but it kept on coming back. I fixed it by running the patch one of the crackberry members did a tutorial on. The issues I had with the passport didn't bother me because I loved the screen and keyboard so much. I only left because of the app situation. I'm a gadget freak and my home is pretty tricked out with.
    -dropcam
    -nest
    -garage door(lift master 8500)
    -washer/dryer
    -outdoor lights
    -sirus radio

Most of those devices ran with the passport(android player)but not to the full potential or aspect ratio. So I figured I'd give the Note4 a try and all my devices worked flawlessly. Plus being able to use Utorrent directly on my device was awesome, downloading music, e-books and apps for free on the spot. I got norton suite on it before people speak about virus..

All in all passport is an amazing device and has more to offer than the overated "hub" lmao still...
    Maybe you should look into consolidating your hodge-podge of "gadgets" into a real home automation setup, just saying. tTorrent works fantastic on the Passport and is the best torrent app out there.

So again, Passport still on par with everything you continue to bring up.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-13-15 11:35 PM
    ^ Enjoy your passport and "the amazing hub (lmao)" it's obviously the phone for you. I will enjoy my Samsung Note 4 and it's endlessly amount of functions, apps & games...

P.s. thx gor the ttorrent info I will try it on my blackberry classic...
    Last edited by BoldBigWorm; 05-14-15 at 09:57 AM. Reason: my bird was itchy....
    05-14-15 09:56 AM
    Well I think it's all up to the user. I've been on a Note 4 since December but switched to a Passport yesterday. To me BlackBerry just flows easier but the Note is a beast and great for a lot things.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 02:33 PM
    ^ Enjoy your passport and "the amazing hub (lmao)" it's obviously the phone for you. I will enjoy my Samsung Note 4 and it's endlessly amount of functions, apps & games...

P.s. thx gor the ttorrent info I will try it on my blackberry classic...
    I value good communication skills, a well built/sturdy device, and a fast and efficient OS targeted at productivity. You enjoy slang talk/sounding half illiterate, a device that provides millions of apps (of which you likely use 5-6) and Grand Theft Auto, and a cartoony OS supplementing media consumption.

Note 4 is definitely for you. Don't forget though, I love Google products and enjoy Android, so you can't claim BB fanboy.

"Lmao"
    ArcPlug likes this.
    05-14-15 03:46 PM
    I'd love for the blackberry os to be on the Note 4. I use my phone for everything and for the younger generation media consumption is huge. Talk about emails and whatever else media consumption is going to and already is fueling the future of phones. I watch Netflix on my phone at home or on lunch break. I watched the NCAA tournament on my phone since it was streamed for free and I'm a cord cutter. I paid for NFL app and watched all the games via Verizon it was awesome. I watched the Masters online until the final day and watched via my TV with an antenna.

I find the Passport to be ok with media nothing like the Note but I like Passport. Thanks to Cobalt I have Netflix and that is great. I left Samsung due to the bloat and I really like BB10. And with bring your own device at a lot of companies I see Blackberry not gaining much until they make a device for consumption but with their own unique qualities that they bring to the table.

Posted via CB10
    Powdah likes this.
    05-14-15 04:44 PM
    Still trying to figure why BoldBigWorm used "lmao" has much as he has throughout this thread. Nothing he has typed has been funny in any way, shape, or form. Unless his level of ignorance is what we all should be laughing at.

Hey Worm, the OP had the opportunity to try out a Note 4 for a whole week...and wasn't sold on it; came back to BlackBerry. So why are you trying to upsell Samsung in a thread where the OP turned it down? Looks like we should all be lmao at you.
    janzeeschuimers likes this.
    05-14-15 04:50 PM
    I'd love for the blackberry os to be on the Note 4. I use my phone for everything and for the younger generation media consumption is huge.
    I think BlackBerry should adopt this strategy. In other threads talking about how the Passport should be changed, so many people are saying to make it all touch and keep the same width but make the screen taller. **** NO. Then it just becomes a standard phablet and loses all the newsworthiness and uniqueness the Passport has gained over the last year.

The Passport is what it is because of the design. It is a niche device, and it fills the niche perfectly. Not to say it's perfect by any means, things need to be fixed and refined for subsequent iterations. But to make it an all touch device and get rid of the PKB is stupid, and it would no longer be a Passport.

Some people want a media consumption device, some want a productivity tool. To meet current consumer demands, I think it would serve BlackBerry well to offer two devices with same flagship internals and same chassis, but one with PKB and one full touch. You could kill 2 birds with one stone and reach many more consumers.

Then again, I have no clue wtf I'm talking about. I study medicine lol.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    BoldBigWorm likes this.
    05-14-15 05:01 PM
    Still trying to figure why BoldBigWorm used "lmao" has much as he has throughout this thread. Nothing he has typed has been funny in any way, shape, or form. Unless his level of ignorance is what we all should be laughing at.

Hey Worm, the OP had the opportunity to try out a Note 4 for a whole week...and wasn't sold on it; came back to BlackBerry. So why are you trying to upsell Samsung in a thread where the OP turned it down? Looks like we should all be lmao at you.
    Every time I mention the hub I "lmao" because I just don't get why people praise it like it's something special and I just don't understand what the big deal is. I've been using the hub since the day os10 was released and it's more annoying than anything.

I've used the blackberry passport since launch day up untill about a little more than a month ago when I got my note4. The thread creator stated and shared his experience switching to a note 4. This is a forum where we discuss things so I decided to share my experience that had a different result.

I'm not trying to up sell anything...
    05-14-15 11:21 PM
    Every time I mention the hub I "lmao" because I just don't get why people praise it like it's something special and I just don't understand what the big deal is. I've been using the hub since the day os10 was released and it's more annoying than anything.

I've used the blackberry passport since launch day up untill about a little more than a month ago when I got my note4. The thread creator stated and shared his experience switching to a note 4. This is a forum where we discuss things so I decided to share my experience that had a different result.

I'm not trying to up sell anything...
    I think it's similar to the Start button introduced in Windows 95. Those who grew up using it seemed lost when it was taken away in Windows 8.

While perhaps not the best analogy, I can imagine a Mac user, who has never used or grown dependent on the Start button, feeling as you do about the Hub.

The Hub is one way of handling and unifying messages, but it's not the only way - nor the best way for everyone.

I personally love the hub, but I'll concede I probably feel that way because I started using it way back in the BBOS 5 days, on my old BlackBerry curve. I'm used to it, much the same way I grew accustomed to the Start button.

Incidentally, I'm over the Start button.

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    05-14-15 11:30 PM
    You have to be absolutely determined to reject the truth to say there is no app gap, so there really is no point to any further conversation.

Yep, I'd leave that alone.

When the CEO himself calls for app neutrality, and folks still say there isn't an app gap, there's nothing more to be said.
    05-14-15 11:49 PM
    I love each platform. They all bring something special to the table.

Don't find any hard to use, and, all things being equal, I could get by using any of the top four.

In the real world, I need to gather information, act quickly, and have a device that performs in the background. That is what I use on a daily basis.

I do smile at the OS measuring battles. IMHO, it has little to do with the OS. Millions of people use each one. The ability to do so is not a measure of intelligence in and of itself.
    BoldBigWorm likes this.
    05-14-15 11:58 PM
    +2 for BB10 on the Note line.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    05-15-15 12:00 AM
    Hub is perhaps one of the main reasons to use BB10. For me anyways, with messages coming from several sources. And I like the editing too.

I've tried Android and found it a bit of a mess.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 03:26 AM
    Where the Passport really shines for me is browsing the internet, since I downloaded Browsie Browser. This isn't a plug (although the dev is great), but BlackBerry should take notes. The keyboard shortcuts in the stock browser are scarce. For example, you can pull up the left context menu by pressing W, but you can't close it. In Browsie, W opens and closes tab menu, Q opens right context menu, Y adds a new tab, X closes a current tab, G opens webpage speed dial menu, U puts your cursor in text box for immediate address typing. The stock browser does SOME of these things, but usually only 1 action and not as well IMO.

I am just incredibly efficient while web browsing and find myself flyin through tabs and pages. Sometimes all that tapping and zooming with your fingers on a touchscreen slows you down. I really see potential if this level of keyboard control spanned the entire OS and remained consistent. More innovation needs to come from the capacitive layer of the keyboard.
    05-15-15 04:53 AM
    I had a passport as my daily driver about 4 months ago until I recently switched to the galaxy s6 edge. I rooted/deleted all the bloatware on my galaxy and it is lightening fast with no lag! I have an average of 1g free ram at all times. With the upcoming lollipop software update 5.5.1 the memory performance is supposed to improve even more. So as for a communication device the android actually does a better job in my opinion. Here's why, the issue I had with blackberry was the lack of timely software updates to the OS/apps. I had issues with double typing, not being able to quick reply from the top of notification bar, and the maps software sucks when traveling. Loading a 3rd party Google maps app sucked the battery life from my phone. I had other issues with the passport when using auxiliary cables for increased sound performance. I used the same Aux cable on other devices and has no issues. People state, "we can use snap to fulfill the app gap" the issue with this is the apps don't perform nearly as well as if your running it with an android.. Probably never will period. The only thing the blackberry has that I enjoyed was the hub, but when a notification pops up in my S6 I just click the notification and I'm directed to the source instantly. As a previous BB user I just had the feeling I'm always waiting for resolutions to my issues.. Then when there is a remedy, it's not distributed from BB but by some dev guy who uploads a file for everyone to download. This is why I decided to move on. I enjoy my weekly app updates with my S6 and looking forward to my OS update next month. The icing on the cake with BB is their terrible customer service. Good luck

Last edited by thman558; 05-15-15 at 01:49 PM.
    05-15-15 05:19 AM
    I have a note 4 and I largely agree with your summary but I have a couple of questions:

You mention having to use the home button and back button a lot, but why not the multitasking button? It's the same number of steps to switch between apps as on BB10. Tap the multitasking button and tap the app you want to get into. Or tap the button and swipe an app to close it.

You mention the email client and how there aren't as many features when replying to emails. I haven't found that to be the case in my experience. What features were you missing?
    Late to the party here, lol... But wanted to respond.

I have a Galaxy S5 running Lollipop, and it can sometimes take (what seems like) forever for the multitasking screen to come up after pressing the button.

Maybe Samsung fixed this on the S6 (but Galaxy phones have a tendency to start fast when they're clean, and slow down over time -- this is what happened to my S5).

So for me, it's less frustrating for me just to go to the home screen since it's more immediate, and I'm used to the almost-instant switch to the multitasking screen that BB10 provides. It's the delay that bothers me in the S5.

FYI: My S5 is very lightly used. I only use it for Android development -- no games, no movies or music, and about 5 apps I personally downloaded. But still, it has developed some slow-downs.

Via CB Android on BB10 (jst 4 kiks)
    05-19-15 11:01 AM
    I had a passport as my daily driver about 4 months ago until I recently switched to the galaxy s6 edge. I rooted/deleted all the bloatware on my galaxy and it is lightening fast with no lag! I have an average of 1g free ram at all times. With the upcoming lollipop software update 5.5.1 the memory performance is supposed to improve even more. So as for a communication device the android actually does a better job in my opinion. Here's why, the issue I had with blackberry was the lack of timely software updates to the OS/apps. I had issues with double typing, not being able to quick reply from the top of notification bar, and the maps software sucks when traveling. Loading a 3rd party Google maps app sucked the battery life from my phone. I had other issues with the passport when using auxiliary cables for increased sound performance. I used the same Aux cable on other devices and has no issues. People state, "we can use snap to fulfill the app gap" the issue with this is the apps don't perform nearly as well as if your running it with an android.. Probably never will period. The only thing the blackberry has that I enjoyed was the hub, but when a notification pops up in my S6 I just click the notification and I'm directed to the source instantly. As a previous BB user I just had the feeling I'm always waiting for resolutions to my issues.. Then when there is a remedy, it's not distributed from BB but by some dev guy who uploads a file for everyone to download. This is why I decided to move on. I enjoy my weekly app updates with my S6 and looking forward to my OS update next month. The icing on the cake with BB is their terrible customer service. Good luck

If you root, don't you lose the ability to use the custom Samsung camera software that is needed to take full advantage of the S6's amazing camera?

I read that you lose access to some of the camera's best features of you have to use a generic camera app.

Via CB Android on BB10 (jst 4 kiks)
    05-19-15 11:43 AM
    Rooting also trips KNOX which voids your warranty.

-- Passport, VMO, Toronto CA
    raino likes this.
    05-19-15 01:41 PM
    No actually the latest root by passes Knox and the warranty is still valid. I always have att insurance anyways so it doesn't affect me. The camera features work fine in my opinion.. I don't really use it anyways

05-19-15 02:21 PM
110 ... 2345