02-03-20 11:19 AM
36 12
tools
    I suggest trying running MicroG GMS Core Services instead of Cobalt's Play Services. You can keep Cobalt's play store app installed, and it works well with the apps I've used. You still have to patch the apps with Cobalt's tool.

https://microg.org/download.html
    01-14-20 11:35 PM
    Just to validate the answer to my original question. You can update and it does not affect Cobalt's App.
    01-15-20 02:17 PM
    Just to validate the answer to my original question. You can update and it does not affect Cobalt's App.
    It should not...

But updates can fail, and put you back at a clean device..... always do a backup first.
    01-16-20 11:19 AM
    Which one is the best Yalp or Fdroid?

Posted via CB10
    01-19-20 03:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    Depends.

Yalp is a Play Store client that provides only the compatible apps that developers want you to have.

F-droid includes deprecated app versions as well, thus increasing the chance of finding an app that works on the ancient Runtime, but increases the security risk.
    01-19-20 08:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    Just remember you need ART 4.3 or lower as minimum requirement.
    01-19-20 08:54 AM
    Depends.

Yalp is a Play Store client that provides only the compatible apps that developers want you to have.

F-droid includes deprecated app versions as well, thus increasing the chance of finding an app that works on the ancient Runtime, but increases the security risk.
    Do I have to install the Playstore from F-droid first? Now I don't see many popular android apps in the list when opening F-droid.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-20 09:14 AM
    Do I have to install the Playstore from F-droid first? Now I don't see many popular android apps in the list when opening F-droid.

Posted via CB10
    You can have both.

Here is the link to Yalp:

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com....kin.yalpstore/
    01-19-20 09:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    No, you don't have to install F-Droid first. Agreed that there are not many apps in F-Droid and maybe not many that you would ever use BUT the apps that are there run quite well on the Passport and do NOT require Google Play Services. I really like and use Currency, Telegram, Newpipe (legacy), and DroidShows. That's all I have but they do not hog resources at all.
    Virginwid0w likes this.
    01-19-20 09:27 AM
    No offense sir, but I'll keep my .357 Security six. It doesn't scatter brass. Can reload with 1 hand faster than the time it takes to stuff a clip

I've tried my son's auto pistols - they are of excellent quality but they don't feel right (SQUARE?) in my hand.

I don't like or want the new Blackberry either. Because it has gew-gul. Am wondering how much functionality will be lost now they've stopped supporting the Passport.

02-02-20 07:07 PM
    and do NOT require Google Play Services. I really like and use Currency, Telegram, Newpipe (legacy)
    I can confirm Telegram works excellent on my Passport.

In the interest of "Not Scattering Brass" ~ the "First Commandment" is "toucheth not the Gew-Gul", and (Invoke scene from 'Holy Grail') if thou must (?) fondle the Gew-Gul, assume you're shaking hands with a party carrying HEP-C, HIV, Corona-Virus, which is also lethally radio-active.

This being said - the "Yalp-Store" is an AMAZING tool, the BEST part being the "Exodus Privacy Check" option, the last item in settings..

Downside is, no, it will NOT work without "Creating a Dummy Gew-Gul account".

Since I'm "stuck" there, (unsing a non-provisioned 'Burner' over Wi-Fi) I can't evaluate whether or not device emulation works. The last thing I need is Gew-Gul storing my HOME ISP address .

It'd be very helpful to know WHAT "API" is Android 4.3? Also WHICH of Yalp's fairly decent "device emulation list" would be most germain to Blackberry Passport.

I'm off to the Laundrette, which has "Public Wifi", the better to test both the Fork (Kiliakin's Yalp) and Official version.

Gew-Gul not only wants to know salient matters, such as the kernel, processor, screen size and Android API your device is running. It essentially wants a DNA swab taken, as if your a registered sex offender.

IT IS ESSENTIAL TO KNOW:

Once Gew-Gul has taken a swab of your Device's DNA it will, by every means available to its' bottomless and nefarious pocket, attempt to track your every movement, every touch on your screen, possibly your fingerprint. If you've been foolish enough to back up your contacts or (even God can't help you after..) passwords you can forget about the Miranda Act.

Gew-Gul WILL and (keyword) DOES then SELL all your data to not even God knows who, from that point forward. Even creating a (sic) "DUMMY" account amounts to being turned out on the street corner, $20 short time, sailor.

I've not had discourse with the Uber-Pimp of the Interwebz in 13 months, but have heard they will not issue a "dummy" without yielding an active SMS number. Any current intel would be helpful.

I think I'll simply wash the clothes, as am uncertain whether wiping the "Toy-TV" and reloading it will fully divorce it's IMEI etc from Gew-Gul.

Passport OS update-broken_yalp.jpg
    02-03-20 11:19 AM
36 12