Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader.

So I have had a Passport since late last year. To be perfectly honest, I loved it. The screen, the battery, the keys...everything. People would stop me and ask what I was using, I would gladly tell them that it is a BlackBerry and gush all about it. Probably the best bit about it, I no longer had to travel with a laptop or tablet on a lot of trips. The Passport did everything.

Then it began. Just before I left for a two month overseas trip, the screen started to lift. From the day I took the phone out of the box I noticed a warped frame but it wasn't too bad so I ignored it. That is something I can live with. However, eventually the screen started lifting and after having a look around CB I realised that I was not alone. There was no way I would get my phone back in time before I left, so I went into Optus and asked them to make a note about the condition of the phone, the lifting and the warping just in case I dropped it while away. They obliged and were seemingly good about it.

I took the phone away, then the problems really started. After I downloaded an update (have no idea which one, but it would have been around March) the battery life nosedived. And I don't mean only lasted a couple of hours, it would last fifteen minutes and get stinking bloody hot. I was stranded in West Africa and the Canary Islands without a communications device. Awesome. I ended up leaving the phone for a few days and it magically started working again, but not with the same battery life I had grown to love.

Anyway, the screen lifting got worse as I made my way through Europe. At least I could use my phone, I love BB Travel and it always gets me where I need to go.

I get back to Australia and drop off my phone. The Sales Assistant is very diligent and very nice to deal with, she agrees with me about the warping and the screen, and writes half a page of notes. There were a couple of issues with the loan phone and connecting to the network, but once again I can overlook that.

I got a phone call today to say that my 'Warranty Claim' has been rejected due to 'water damage'. Bull****. My phone may have got a few drops on it in Madrid, just like everyone else that was standing next to me in the drizzle, tapping away on their phones, but to say it is damaged...nope. Apparently the Passport can't handle conditions that every other phone can, because I sure as hell haven't got it damp any other way. I treat that phone better than I treat some people and apparently, even though the screen was lifting and the phone is obviously warped like so many others, I am being denied. What a load.

I have had two Bolds, a Torch, PlayBook and now the Passport but this is the end of the line. I'm out.
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    05-14-15 07:34 PM
    Do you feel better now?
    Blackerthanblack and andy957 like this.
    05-14-15 07:42 PM
    Well you need to make a proper complaint. This has nothing to do with BlackBerry. Your carrier has failed at giving you proper service and you should not stand for this poor service.
    diegonei and anon9347040 like this.
    05-14-15 07:43 PM
    i understand your frustration but sometimes, you need to speak with the right person... try to escalate the issue to a supervisor, and use the info you have to make your case... after that, you can still leave BB, but at least you leave in better shape... as i said, the fact that one single person (the one that wrote you back) says no doesn't mean the end of your options... good luck!
    05-14-15 07:46 PM
    Soon the only Blackberry customer will be John Chen!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 07:48 PM
    Not, it doesn't make me feel better. I am maybe six months in on a two year contract and I have a phone that isn't the right shape and the screen is falling off. This is in addition to the battery lasting for no more than a couple of hours on some days.

I spoke to the store manager. I'm not making myself out to be the busiest or most important person in the world, but I am going to struggle to find the time to deal with this. As I said I was without a phone for a couple of days because of Optus and now I have to fight a battle. My girlfriend had an issue with her iPhone screen lifting, they gave her a new phone in the store the same day. Now I'm not advocating that level of service, but somewhere in the middle would be nice.

I asked if it was legal for them to deny to fix the warped frame because of 'water damage' (which apparently voids everything) and it was a very confident, resounding yes. Is that true?
    Last edited by Andrew McKinsey; 05-14-15 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Sent too early.... muppet.
    05-14-15 07:50 PM
    Not, it doesn't make me feel better. I am maybe six months in on a two year contract and I have a phone that isn't the right shape and the screen is falling off. This is in addition to the battery lasting for no more than a couple of hours on some days.

I spoke to the store manager. I'm not making myself out to be the busiest or most important person in the world, but I am going to struggle to find the time to deal with this. As I said I was without a phone for a couple of days because of Optus and now I have to fight a battle. My girlfriend had an issue with her iPhone screen lifting, they gave her a new phone in the store the same day. Now I'm not advocating that level of service, but somewhere in the middle would be nice.

I asked if it was legal for them to deny to fix the warped frame because of 'water damage' (which apparently voids everything) and it was a very confident, resounding yes. Is that true?
    Why are you going in store? In Canada, the technical support over the phone is 100000000x better than the idiots in the store. Call your carriers tech support line and complain to them. Tell them you can't go without your phone, they should replace yours with a refurbished device.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    05-15-15 12:04 AM
    A few tips for dealing with call centres:

Always, always, right off the bat, ask them to repeat their name, even if you heard it perfectly the first time, and pause like you're writing it down. It puts them on the back foot - straight away they're thinking this guy is serious and will probably take this further, better make sure I do it right.

Be prepared to make numerous calls to get the issue resolved. Most businesses measure their staff turnover as a few percent per year. In call centres it's usually over 90% per month, the result being that the vast majority of their staff have been there 5 minutes and have no idea what they're doing.

If they try to fob you off with a load of BS, just hang up and call back, and keep doing so until you get a reasonable answer. The worst thing you can do is ask for a manager. The managers are the ones pressuring the phonemonkeys to give you a load of BS designed to get you off the phone as quickly as possible. They're experts at it.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 04:07 AM
    Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader.

So I have had a Passport since late last year. To be perfectly honest, I loved it. The screen, the battery, the keys...everything. People would stop me and ask what I was using, I would gladly tell them that it is a BlackBerry and gush all about it. Probably the best bit about it, I no longer had to travel with a laptop or tablet on a lot of trips. The Passport did everything.

Then it began. Just before I left for a two month overseas trip, the screen started to lift. From the day I took the phone out of the box I noticed a warped frame but it wasn't too bad so I ignored it. That is something I can live with. However, eventually the screen started lifting and after having a look around CB I realised that I was not alone. There was no way I would get my phone back in time before I left, so I went into Optus and asked them to make a note about the condition of the phone, the lifting and the warping just in case I dropped it while away. They obliged and were seemingly good about it.

I took the phone away, then the problems really started. After I downloaded an update (have no idea which one, but it would have been around March) the battery life nosedived. And I don't mean only lasted a couple of hours, it would last fifteen minutes and get stinking bloody hot. I was stranded in West Africa and the Canary Islands without a communications device. Awesome. I ended up leaving the phone for a few days and it magically started working again, but not with the same battery life I had grown to love.

Anyway, the screen lifting got worse as I made my way through Europe. At least I could use my phone, I love BB Travel and it always gets me where I need to go.

I get back to Australia and drop off my phone. The Sales Assistant is very diligent and very nice to deal with, she agrees with me about the warping and the screen, and writes half a page of notes. There were a couple of issues with the loan phone and connecting to the network, but once again I can overlook that.

I got a phone call today to say that my 'Warranty Claim' has been rejected due to 'water damage'. Bull****. My phone may have got a few drops on it in Madrid, just like everyone else that was standing next to me in the drizzle, tapping away on their phones, but to say it is damaged...nope. Apparently the Passport can't handle conditions that every other phone can, because I sure as hell haven't got it damp any other way. I treat that phone better than I treat some people and apparently, even though the screen was lifting and the phone is obviously warped like so many others, I am being denied. What a load.

I have had two Bolds, a Torch, PlayBook and now the Passport but this is the end of the line. I'm out.
    Agreed! BlackBerry didn't "fail" you, it's optus' level one service centre misdiagnosing your device to make you pay for damages is actually what failed this customer service incident! The only recourse is to file a complaint or call BlackBerry Customer service yourself!

 Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.1.2708 Rogers Wireless
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 06-08-15 at 01:19 PM.
    diegonei likes this.
    05-15-15 05:05 AM
    Why I bought the protection plan from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 06:45 AM
    Not sure about legalities relating to repair with water damage. I understand that in the law that if you pay a premium for a product then you can expect a certain level of premium service. The Checkout on the ABC covered this from memory.

It could help if you feel that water only intruded into your device as a result of your lifting screen.

Contact the ACCC if you feel hard done by. I've heard of an instance (ie anecdotal from a JB Hifi employee) where a guy dropped his newish Alienware laptop and the ACCC told JB Hifi to replace it. It couldn't hurt to ask I guess, or find out where you stand. Perhaps even the Telco Ombudsman.

I'll add that I haven't done anything like this myself and that I only heard this stuff second hand, so I could be talking ****.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 09:20 AM
    Well you need to make a proper complaint. This has nothing to do with BlackBerry. Your carrier has failed at giving you proper service and you should not stand for this poor service.
    Maybe you'll feel better if you do this instead of ranting where nobody can ready do anything...
    05-15-15 09:29 AM
    Not sure about legalities relating to repair with water damage
    It depends. If the company has reason to believe the issue is due to water damage, accidental damage, misuse etc. then as a general rule they have no warranty obligation to fulfill.

I don't know much about US law in this regard, other than a general feeling that a US consumer seems to have far less protection than a UK consumer, but it probably varies quite widely from state to state.

Under UK law, the retailer (not the manufacturer) has an absolute obligation to warrant that any product will be free of defects, manufacturing faults etc. for a period of at least one year from the date of purchase. If such a fault is reported within that first year, they have an absolute obligation to refund, replace or repair it, although which of those three routes to follow is entirely at the retailer's discretion.

Here's where it gets complicated. Trading Standards (UK trade law enforcement body) states that a consumer has a right to expect a "reasonable" service life from any product. For laptops and the like, this has in the past been held to be 6 years. However it's dependent upon how heavily the device is used and such. It wouldn't be unheard of for a court to rule that on a heavily used 2 year old laptop, the retailer must meet half the cost of repair or replacement, since the customer has had half of what they might reasonably expect of the product's service life.

But having rights and enforcing them are two different things. No retailer is going to say yes, we'll repair or replace free of charge outside of the statutory 1 year warranty period, and if you threaten to take them to court they'll just reply "OK but now you've said that we can't talk to you any more, all communications must go through our litigation department."

If your device is borked and you're getting nowhere with warranty support, your best bet might well be to claim accidental damage on your house contents insurance. Assuming you don't have a separate insurance policy just for your phone, of course.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 10:03 AM
    Actually the argument that water damage was caused by a warped frame is very plausible as the case lost its integrity.
    05-15-15 10:14 AM
    Actually the argument that water damage was caused by a warped frame is very plausible as the case lost its integrity.
    Quite true, of course, but I suspect pursuing that argument with whomever is responsible for servicing the warranty will cause cerebral haemorrhaging. Much easier to just call the house contents insurance provider and tell them you dropped it down the toilet.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 10:30 AM
    Quite true, of course, but I suspect pursuing that argument with whomever is responsible for servicing the warranty will cause cerebral haemorrhaging. Much easier to just call the house contents insurance provider and tell them you dropped it down the toilet.

Posted via CB10
    For most people that is not practical as the deductible is usually more than the cost of a phone.
    05-15-15 10:34 AM
    For most people that is not practical as the deductible is usually more than the cost of a phone.
    Good point, didn't think of that, perhaps due to my own contents insurance not having a deductible/excess fee.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 10:41 AM
    Canada's procedure is, take the phone to your service provider (Telus, Rogers ect.) they will not inspect the phone they write the issues with the phone and send it to BlackBerry then they will give you a loaner phone . If the phone is under warranty they will fix it but most likely you'll get a refurbished one it's a 10 day turnaround after 10 days they start giving you credits as they have a 10 day policy. If by chance it's out of warranty or they find issues not covered, you have the option to have them repair your device. It's a win win in Canada. Your phone can Only be sent in by your service provider, Not just any cellphone store, hope it works out for you.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 10:58 AM
    Soon the only Blackberry customer will be John Chen!

Posted via CB10
    Is he even a customer? Wonder what he really uses.
    05-15-15 11:04 AM
    This would be a tough one to win, you noticed and reported a fault, didn't get it repaired, then the fault could be blamed for the further damage. A comparison would be reporting a leak in you car radiator, then continue to drive it and cook the motor.
    05-15-15 04:45 PM
    BlackBerry does have good customer service. The problem is everything and everyone else in between like the carrier, Digital River, etc.
    05-15-15 05:01 PM

My understanding is that your issue is with Optus (Australian carrier / service provider for mobile phones) trying to weasel out of their warranty (or similar).

Australia has fairly strong consumer protection laws The Australian Consumer Law - Homepage (might not be as strong as some places in Europe, but still way better than you get in the US).

There are many free legal advice centres in Australia, so if you are near a big city, you should be able to get some free advice (if they are like UK free legal advice centres, I suggest you take a book with you as the wait will be horrendous....).

Please go and get some independent Australian legal advice (could be as simple as a template letter to send to Optus) and let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 05-17-15 at 12:12 AM.
    05-16-15 02:03 PM
    Perhaps I'm wrong however the poor battery life and temp of the phone in West Africa I imagine was caused by poor signals and the phone searching for connections.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 03:06 PM
    OP, I truly understand what and how you are frustrated about your phone!
    I got the same problem with my previous Passport. Because it was hanged and restarted itself even everything was the same when it worked perfectly (no new game or softwares installed, no drop to the floor, etc.). I think it possibly came from the OS itself because one guy reported the same issue, and he was lucky enough to get it back to work normally by restored an old backup he made!
    But I was lucky enough too, to get a new one for replacement!
    I hope you will have a good solution now for your phone too!
    05-16-15 04:28 PM
    OP, I totally get your frustration and the thing that BlackBerry lacks is a way for PAYING consumers to seek resolutions directly with BlackBerry. If you do make a call, it's RMA, blah blah blah, etc. It's all a pain in the arse. I really want to come back to BlackBerry but the horrors of dealing with ShopBlackBerry and the thought of ever having an actual issue with my device keeps me at bay...
    05-16-15 05:28 PM
29 12