My thought of the day.

The power of "perception":

The Passport is the only BB10 device which can be considered as an iconic next-generation blackberry device. From day1, the perception of the Z10 was that it was a poor facsimile of the already perfect iPhone. Although a great phone, it became one of BB's biggest flops. The Q10 market perception was that it was for those who couldn't get with the times and were re-living past days of QWERTY/BOLD glory. The Z30 was only an attempt to penetrate a niche phablet market and within a year became just another "under-the-radar" competitor of iPhone6 and G-Note.

The Passport is the only phone that makes the statement "I choose to use something different". Even those who hate it cannot look down on those who chose to buy one. This is the perception I get from reading these forums and all the user reviews and comments on this phone. And since we're over-saturated by iphones cause everyone's got one, sometimes, "different" is what sells.

Congratulations to Blackberry, I think the hype, the innovation and the short supply of the Passport have given this device the status of "iconic" in a very short period of time. It has become more a statement of being different, and that's why even those who hated it initially now are on the fence on whether to get one. Almost like belonging to an exclusive club. And all this was done with little to no marketing $$!

AV
    Andy_bb_king and AnimalPak200 like this.
    10-11-14 02:50 PM
    Totally agreed!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    10-11-14 03:04 PM
    As long as it's back in stock I'll be happy

Posted via the awesome power of BlackBerry 10 on one of my lovely devices probably my beautiful beast called Z30 or my great Q10 or my lovely Z10
    10-11-14 03:13 PM
    The passport is a device that states I choose to use a brick. The z30 gives features that a lot of phones don't have and things the passport can't do either. The z30 and full screen is what will keep BlackBerry around. The q10 and passport series will give BlackBerry the media attention
    10-11-14 03:27 PM
    Agree.

Not to diss proponents of the Z10 but at launch the os was immature littered with bugs, the launch price was way to high and there were/are 2 different Z10 chip sets.

Q10 was a little better but the 10.1 maintenance release was desperately needed.

By the time of the launch of the Q5 and Z30 things were much better but these devices only served to compete with the earlier 2 devices.
    Add to boot there wasn't enough difference between Z30 and Z10 for most to justify upgrade and Q5 was downgrade from Q10.

With 10.2 the existing line up are all competent devices but the Passport moves the BlackBerry forward significantly.

Hardware specs are much higher than before.
    Bugs are minimal despite being a new phone and os release.
    Phone actually offers something new and different which works.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 03:34 PM
    It definitely has the wow factor that the first iPhone had. Pinch me. BlackBerry actually did something right.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 03:42 PM
    Yeah, they did it right this time
    10-11-14 03:52 PM
    We'll see. It is definitely conic.
    The keyboard is different but Z30 is better at typing and better as a video streaming device.
    I bought it because it has better RF transceiver, antenna and processor specs and because I hope to replace my laptop, but most people who bought it and write here do not find typing on it faster, only more accurate.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 01:44 AM
    Iconic..not conic.
    Ironically I am typing this on a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 01:45 AM
    Well, you are right, Blackberry doin' really great job about Blackberry Passport. This is a product that not a mainstream product
    10-12-14 04:45 AM
    Very aggreed!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 05:45 AM
    Agreed!
    Many people have given me compliments on it as well and are impressed/ think it's very classy looking

I remember when the first bold 9000 came out and everyone wanted it, the passport is turning out to be almost as popular as that!
    Hopefully it can catch on and surpass the original bold, Blackberry deserves good sales on this phone
    10-12-14 05:55 AM
    Yes that's pretty much true I'd say. Given where they are, it's not a bad strategy to offer up something different, because it attracts attention. Going forward, there's a chance they would pick up some sales for the vanilla phones (if you see what I mean) as a result too.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 06:01 AM
    The passport is a device that states I choose to use a brick. The z30 gives features that a lot of phones don't have and things the passport can't do either. The z30 and full screen is what will keep BlackBerry around. The q10 and passport series will give BlackBerry the media attention
    The same Z30 that was hardly sold? The Z30 that BlackBerry barely marketed?

Storm, Storm 2, PlayBook, Z10, Z30.

One could easily argue that BlackBerry's performance in the touchscreen segment has been abysmal. Have the phones always been bad? Nope. I loved my Z10 and love my Z30, and the PlayBook was ahead of its time in many respects. But their poor sales are why BlackBerry is focusing on what they're good at. The Passport an example of this, and it's going very well.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 06:10 AM
    In my opinion the BlackBerry Q5 is the iconic BlackBerry smartphone. Meanwhile, the BlackBerry Passport compromised the best of physical keyboard with the worst of the virtual keyboard and swipe-typing. I prefer my physical keyboard have letters, numerals, common punctuation, and ALT / SYM keys.
    10-12-14 06:16 AM
    In my opinion the BlackBerry Q5 is the iconic BlackBerry smartphone. Meanwhile, the BlackBerry Passport compromised the best of physical keyboard with the worst of the virtual keyboard and swipe-typing. I prefer my physical keyboard have letters, numerals, common punctuation, and ALT / SYM keys.
    You've clearly never used a Passport's keyboard. The virtual keyboard swiping is why people love the BlackBerry 10 virtual keyboard.

And the Q10 beats the Q5, so...

Posted via CB10
    A_Aviator_A likes this.
    10-12-14 06:20 AM