Passport, as I have one and I’m smitten with it. The build quality is simply top-notch, the screen size is just about right, the display is GORGEOUS, the call quality is incredible, typing’s oh-so-comfortable as the keys are well spaced out, the Android apps work like a dream (save for Instagram), navigating your way around the phone’s snappy, the battery life’s simply Godsend, need I go on? You can get one-handed typing out of it if you’re not so anal about grammar and punctuation (I’ve small hands — I’m 5’2 in height — but I could respond one-handed to texts). And, it’s a conversation starter — I live in a country where BlackBerrys are almost aliens and people stop and ask me what phone that is.

The only infuriating thing about the device is the camera — it takes bloody ages to focus. The slightest of wobbles and you get a completely blurred out pic. But when it does get its act together, it takes stunning pics — so good that you don’t need any editing. My iPhone-loving brother (he even defends Apple for not incorporating bluetooth file transfer in iPhones — that’s how fanatic he is) was properly impressed by this photo he took of me with my Passport — that’s how good the Passport camera can be.
    Sallem and Recoton like this.
    12-26-14 07:10 AM
    I am glad to see this forum. I am up for a new phone for New Year and I am terribly interested in the Passport! Main reason for choice is keyboard. I have a disease called "essential tremors" and find virtual keyboard difficult to use due to my shakes. I use browser and,email,also some messaging. I hope Passport will be a good fit because I was taking a good look at Note 4 also.
    12-26-14 08:52 AM
    I'm a Note 4 owner. Here is my list.

Pros:

Gorgeous screen
    Tons of features (that you may or may not use)
    I dig the form factor, but that's personal preference
    The camera and video camera are superb and easily the best I've ever used.
    Great app selection from both Google Play and Samsung Apps
    I use the S Pen more than I thought I would. It's great for jotting down quick notes because you can open the note pad right when you take the stylus out. I love how you can write a name and phone number, tap a button, and it's now in your contacts
    I also use split screen more than I thought I would. I use it a lot when having a text conversation. I can have my messaging app up and surf the Web or Facebook while waiting for replies and not have to switch between the two apps.
    The native email app is really good. They've improved it a lot from the last Samsung device I used
    Customization is swell

Cons:

GPS won't keep a lock on me when I'm in motion. I've gone through countless reps at Samsung and T-Mo and they can't figure out what's wrong. They want me to send it in for repair, but I don't want to be without my Note for that long.
    TouchWiz still blows. Samsung has added a ton of features without optimizing their software to handle them. This results in lag when switching between apps and getting the preview of a picture you just took. Everything else like swiping between screens and launching apps is fine.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 12-27-14 at 08:53 AM.
    Sallem and Hai Bo like this.
    12-26-14 09:54 AM
    I am thinking to accept a counter offer of used passport for 450$ Canadian.
    But confused to see people are complaining about many things about passport regarding one hand typing, camera and glitches.
    Did someone came from note 4 to passport OR using both? Please describe what to choose.

Thanks.

ρσѕтє∂ ν�α вℓα�ĸвєяяу ź30☜
    Get the 6+ it trumps both big time
    12-26-14 10:19 AM
    The defining features of the passport are the physical keyboard and the 1:1 screen. If you have no specific.need for.either.feature why not get a Z30?
    12-26-14 10:26 AM
    Just the Samsung bloatware issue alone would steer me away from any of their devices......
    thedose and Barbareren like this.
    12-26-14 10:32 AM
    Very pleased with the Passport, came from the Z10, there's a little learning curve but I love it more every time I find something new. Had a sales rep show me the Note, he struggled with it and I left thinking the Passport was the right choice (for me).

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 10:47 AM
    Go away lol

Op, you have the luxury of being able to try a Passport demo. I would suggest doing that after you've collected the opinions here. Don't forget to check the Passport section of the forum where you can find common issues to see if you can deal with them. And please do not sit on your phone, whatever you buy.
    12-26-14 11:16 AM
    I have a Passport and just recently purchased a Note 4 to join it as unfortunately, neither device is the "complete solution".

The Passport is great for viewing, deleting and replying to e-mails and text messages. The browser is also very good and I prefer it to the Android ones.

What the Passport lacks, the Note 4 fill in. For example, Widgets and truly functional apps with correct notifications. Android Apps obtained via Snap and other methods do work but are a bit kludgey. They are not that smooth and will work in a pinch but not great if you rely on that app for essential tasks. I'm currently into home and office automation, and many apps that are designed for this only work well on Android. Lighting and camera controls are just not smooth on BB10.

Of course the Note 4 has its issues. Emailing and Texting are just not fluid no matter which e-mail or SMS app you try. All require all types of presses and swipes and to do the simplest of functions. The BlackBerry is just so much smoother and intuitive.

The final solution: Carry both devices. I never thought I'd do this but it's the only way to get 100% of what you need. Plus, it's nice to go back and forth between platforms to mix things up. After all, who wants to wear the same shoes everyday!
    bodjor and Melinium like this.
    12-26-14 11:32 AM
    Although the Passport's size is big, it's about as tall as an iPhone 5s and certainly wider. It's height is what allows it to go into your jeans front pocket. Try to do that with an iPhone 6, 6+ or any Galaxy Note.

About one handed typing... I'm not sure... Why would you want to type one handed? To do something else? Can you do that on a Note? Are you faster typing one handed? For me it's a no for all these questions, however I find dictation great for small and quick replies.

Now, many people just take for granted call quality, but not all phones are good at this. This is something Blackberry always emphasized. Many times I answer and make calls on speakerphone and truth is the quality is much better than anything else. I had an iPhone 5s and it was horrible at that even with it's many microphones.

All in all, it will be whatever best suits you. These are my two cents.
    Sallem likes this.
    12-26-14 11:41 AM
    You got us there, only the iphone has the 'tent pop up feature" that the others don't.

Just bend your iphone in the middle, place it on the ground, and voila!
    thedose likes this.
    12-26-14 12:38 PM
    Of course the Note 4 has its issues. Emailing and Texting are just not fluid no matter which e-mail or SMS app you try. All require all types of presses and swipes and to do the simplest of functions. The BlackBerry is just so much smoother and intuitive.
    Can you explain what you mean by this? I have the Note 4 and Z10 and I don't see that much of a difference in composing/replying to/forwarding/adding attachments to emails and texts.
    Melinium likes this.
    12-26-14 01:04 PM
    I am thinking to accept a counter offer of used passport for 450$ Canadian.
    But confused to see people are complaining about many things about passport regarding one hand typing, camera and glitches.
    Did someone came from note 4 to passport OR using both? Please describe what to choose.

Thanks.

Hello Yasikhi!

I've had my passport since it got released... I'm loving it !

The reasons WHY are below

The build quality is amazing, sounds great, camera is improved and will be better with the 10.3.1 official update. The display is epic and I mean proper good, once you've used a passport, you never look at a smart phones the same way. Every single device you pick up will lack the screen real estate :P

There is something unique about the Passport, the stainless steel frame, the weight in your hands and keyboard. You get both world's Apps Android and BlackBerry. (I've personally got 3 stores haha Amazon, Google play and BlackBerry) yes you can install Google play store on your passport now!!!

Yes the Note4 is good but there something about the Passport I just can't quite put my finger on!

There will be some complaining about the build quality they are the few unfortunate ones to receive faulty devices.

These are my reasons why I love my Passport! It's a device not made for everyone, you either love it or hate it.

It's your decision, hope I made it easier for you to decide!

Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.1.1154
    12-26-14 01:21 PM
    If you decide to go android and do not really need stylus I recommend this:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=AhULPpF0
    Bought one for my daughter.
    Impressive device.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 01:24 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Passport hands down!

Posted via CB10
    Sallem likes this.
    12-26-14 01:31 PM
    Can you explain what you mean by this? I have the Note 4 and Z10 and I don't see that much of a difference in composing/replying to/forwarding/adding attachments to emails and texts.
    Although hard to put in words, I think the key difference why the Passport is more efficient than the Note 4 is finger distance traveled for keystrokes. With the BlackBerry, all the commands (whether icon or keyboard-shortcut) are located on the bottom of the screen and phone. The Note 4 icons are primarily located at the top of the phone. On Passport, your finger only has to move half an inch, to compose a new message, reply, type a character, etc. On the Note 4, your finger(s) have to move 5+ inches for each command. That finger travel makes all the difference in speed and efficiency.

One more quick test. Close your eyes and see if you can write a message on the Passport vs the Note. That will be an eye-opener. On the Passport, muscle memory will largely allow you to do this while it is almost impossible on the Passport.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-26-14 03:50 PM
    Thanks.
    Today I went to best buy and checked again note 4. But could not check the original passport model on floor, except dummy.
    There will be no return since I will be buying any device through Kijiji.

Passport seemed too wide and kind a weird when I tried to type something.

I heard many people are saying passport needs some time to get used to.

Currently I am using Z30 and no complain about it except slow and boot up since I am running a leaked version.

Note 4 seemed great in terms of camera, size and screen also S pen.

12-26-14 04:45 PM
    If you decide to go android and do not really need stylus I recommend this:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=1cZ8LGTp
    Bought one for my daughter.
    Impressive device.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. It is good idea. Is all specs similar to note 4?

12-26-14 04:47 PM
    I got the Passport at launch. By far the best phone I have ever owned. Never looked back. Solid build, camera is just brilliant (I had iphone 6 users drooling at the quality of pics), zero glitches.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 05:35 PM
    I had a 6+ and it does NOT trump both devices, I found the device to lag terribly, many of my apps are not optimized for the larger screen. I think Apple is finding out very quickly that they should have put at least 2 gigs of ram in the device. I also personally know of at least 15-20 6 and 6+ plus units that have had the bending issues.

I also found IOS 8 to be terrible and very buggy and I am a dedicated Apple customer who has spend a allot of money on their products. I just updated my iMac's to Yosemite and I haven't been able to do a time machine backup because of a major bug in the OS? For a company who has made hundreds of billions of dollars building good products in the past, I am not happy with their latest efforts.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    Barbareren and awindsr like this.
    12-27-14 04:19 AM
    Although hard to put in words, I think the key difference why the Passport is more efficient than the Note 4 is finger distance traveled for keystrokes. With the BlackBerry, all the commands (whether icon or keyboard-shortcut) are located on the bottom of the screen and phone. The Note 4 icons are primarily located at the top of the phone. On Passport, your finger only has to move half an inch, to compose a new message, reply, type a character, etc. On the Note 4, your finger(s) have to move 5+ inches for each command. That finger travel makes all the difference in speed and efficiency.

One more quick test. Close your eyes and see if you can write a message on the Passport vs the Note. That will be an eye-opener. On the Passport, muscle memory will largely allow you to do this while it is almost impossible on the Passport.
    I totally understand what you mean about finger travel, and I agree. I was just curious about what you said about the extra presses and swipes on the Note. It's funny that you mention closing your eyes and typing a message. I've tried this before and I'm actually pretty good at it. However, I attribute that more to SwiftKey's (the same engine that powers the BB10 keyboard) auto predictions than my own blind accuracy. Regardless, I've never been in a situation where I've had to type a message blind .
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-27-14 07:58 AM
    JA-JA. JA-JA. JA-JA.

Posted from the amazing IPhone 6
    12-27-14 08:00 AM
    Well it really depends on how you use the phone..every phone markets different users.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 08:44 AM
    Here's a good thread outlining tips and tricks Note 4 users have found: Coolest features you discovered after buying your Note 4 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    12-27-14 01:40 PM
    JA-JA. JA-JA. JA-JA.

Posted from the amazing IPhone 6
    What does it mean?

12-28-14 12:16 AM
82 1234