I accidentally dropped my Passport on a granite floor. Nothing seems to be damaged externally (thanks to the quality of the build), but the phone is now officially dead. It isn't turning on no matter what I do. What should I do? Where can I take this to get it repaired? Also I should mention, there is a red light when I plug it into the charger. But that's it. It's a brick at this point
    11-02-17 12:37 AM
    Use Autoloader to fix this problem.
    11-02-17 06:17 AM
    Use Autoloader to fix this problem.
    How do I do this? The computer doesn't recognize the phone when plugged in.
    11-03-17 01:45 AM
    ---->Put out the battery for 10 seconds.
    ---->Then put battery but don't start your smartphone.
    ---->Start autoloader and connect your device with your computer.
    ---->Then start your device .
    ----> Wait for setup it complete.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-03-17 02:02 AM
    ---->Put out the battery for 10 seconds.
    ---->Then put battery but don't start your smartphone.
    ---->Start autoloader and connect your device with your computer.
    ---->Then start your device .
    ----> Wait for setup it complete.
    What do ya mean with 'put out the battery'. It's a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-17 02:10 AM
    Run the autoloader. At the 'connecting to bootrom' prompt, try holding down the power button for about 10s to hard-reset the phone and hopefully jumpstart flash mode on the bootloader. I have had success with reviving a Z10 in this state with constant repetition of this process over a lengthy period. TBH though, I reckon the drop has either smashed something internal or knocked out an internal connector, and no amount of re-flashing will help without addressing the physical repair first.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    11-03-17 04:44 AM
    Run the autoloader. At the 'connecting to bootrom' prompt, try holding down the power button for about 10s to hard-reset the phone and hopefully jumpstart flash mode on the bootloader. I have had success with reviving a Z10 in this state with constant repetition of this process over a lengthy period. TBH though, I reckon the drop has either smashed something internal or knocked out an internal connector, and no amount of re-flashing will help without addressing the physical repair first.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think an autoloader is the solution. Concerning a physical repair, my concern is who can fix a passport these days..
    11-04-17 12:11 AM
    Okay so the autoloader program doesn't work for me. It starts and then closes right away.
    11-04-17 01:43 AM
    Given the fact that this is from a drop, and the screen's not broken, I'd wager that this is just a connector that has been knocked loose. The best bet, given the lack of warranty and short supply of repair shops, would be to tear it down yourself (or bribe a friend who is technically inclined) and look for loose connectors. That is probably the only degree of repair that would be economically viable, anyway.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-17 10:56 AM
    Okay so the autoloader program doesn't work for me. It starts and then closes right away.
    Sounds to me like it's life is over. Good time to move on though.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-17 11:37 AM
    I've opened it myself but couldn't find anything disconnected. But then again, I don't know what to look for exactly.

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    11-04-17 06:36 PM
    If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Bring it to a qualified technician.
    On the positive side, this gives you an excuse to buy a new phone. 😉
    11-04-17 07:24 PM
    But I already have the black KEYone lol. I just had a bit of nostalgia for BB10 and tried to fire it up again after the drop

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    11-05-17 01:24 AM