Hi all-
    GPS has been a bit sketchy for a couple of months. It usually comes back after a few hours. Nothing that depends on real time GPS is working. However, location (general) and written directions are correct, but I assume that is coming from the cell towers. The GPS indicator does not light at all. I have checked all settings (location services, permissions, etc), and everything is fine. I have force reinstalled blackberry maps and tried the two newer OS leaks with no luck. I have seen this issue before, but never a resolution. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Gary
    02-16-15 06:06 PM
    Hi all-
    GPS has been a bit sketchy for a couple of months. It usually comes back after a few hours. Nothing that depends on real time GPS is working. However, location (general) and written directions are correct, but I assume that is coming from the cell towers. The GPS indicator does not light at all. I have checked all settings (location services, permissions, etc), and everything is fine. I have force reinstalled blackberry maps and tried the two newer OS leaks with no luck. I have seen this issue before, but never a resolution. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Gary
    Some apps don't work properly.

IE for me, it is CascaRun Pro. GPS is NEVER available, yet Sports Tracker works without issues. Never been able to get CascaRun Pro to work correctly after hitting the 10.3 line of OS's. It appears to work but as soon as you hit the "Start" the lady says starting... GPS nor available. I just gave up on it and won't be bothered with it from now on.
    02-16-15 06:15 PM
    I have problems with Blackberry Maps not working sometimes. I think it is carrier related and the cell site assisted GPS not working properly. When I have the problem, switching the cell radio so it doesn't use LTE will sometimes fix it.

I am on Easlink which has their own towers but also uses one of the big three carriers in some areas where they don't have coverage. Not sure if it is related.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    02-16-15 08:03 PM
    Son of a ......

Changed my Z30 to Manual Network Selection, scanned for and found EASTLINK-UMTS and voila, CascaRun PRO attached and GPS found. What the hell.... Sorry OP, I know this does not help you and forgive me for hijacking your thread.

Thanks robsteve.
    02-16-15 08:16 PM
    I have problems with Blackberry Maps not working sometimes. I think it is carrier related and the cell site assisted GPS not working properly. When I have the problem, switching the cell radio so it doesn't use LTE will sometimes fix it.

I am on Easlink which has their own towers but also uses one of the big three carriers in some areas where they don't have coverage. Not sure if it is related.

Posted via CB10
    I'll try that. I'm hoping it's just carrier and not hardware. Without carrier purchased support on the phone by neccesity, that would be a bi*(ch. It seems to only last a few days at most. But I like the GPS for driving better then my Garmin.
    02-16-15 08:38 PM
    I don't have a Garmin, but I have no reason not to believe you. Hope his answer helps you as well.
    02-16-15 08:47 PM
    Didn't work.
    And my partner's passport is working on GPS. I've scoured the net and found the problem, but no solution. I'm beginning to think it's a hardware failure since the icon never lights.
    02-16-15 09:39 PM
    Actually, very interesting- I notice my partners PP GPS icon goes *away* when done using maps, but stays "greyed out" as opposed to other icons when using maps. His is working properly. Mine (icon) is always showing. Can anybody confirm?

Thanks.
    02-16-15 09:47 PM
    OK.
    Here is the fix (at least for me). If you have the same "symptom", i.e., the GPS icon is continually "on", GPS real time stops working),

* Delete all apps that are most dependent on GPS actual mapping location such as Point, Yelp, Google maps, etc. Do them one by one until the GPS icon goes away.
    BB maps should now work real-time GPS. Of course, try to note which app is actually "hanging" the GPS. --I didn't.
    Then re install the non-offending apps one by one and test.
    Of course I'm sure you could do a wipe and a re install, but this was less disruptive for me.

This has been a major PITA for me because I expect a high end smartphone to give dependable GPS performance- So many apps use location monitoring. I hope this helps someone. If anyone can pinpoint the offending app(s), and list them, that would be great.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    02-17-15 12:10 AM