I have brought this up before but I wanted to do so again.

For one handed use, a software keyboard could be implemented that would be similar to the z10 keyboard abd would align to either the right or left corner when the phone was upside down.
    Then you could easily type one handed.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 08:21 AM
    Great idea! Have no idea how it looks at the Z devices but it sounds perfect!! Can you attach a screen shot here?
    12-20-14 08:25 AM
    [QUOTE=dale-c;11179784]I have brought this up before but I wanted to do so again.

Next time, dont! Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.
    FrankIAm, thedose and illlya like this.
    12-20-14 08:50 AM
    I also think it they narrowed up the bottom menu bar, and let you shift it left or right (so it was the same width as z10)...that would also help use it one handed

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 09:12 AM
    Lol, you..

So you get a device knowing it's limitations and then want a fix?
    Ah, I remember the days when people wanted a virtual keyboard and screen rotation for the Q10.
    thedose and pttptppt like this.
    12-20-14 09:27 AM
    I have brought this up before but I wanted to do so again.

For one handed use, a software keyboard could be implemented that would be similar to the z10 keyboard abd would align to either the right or left corner when the phone was upside down.
    Then you could easily type one handed.

Posted via CB10
    If only we could run swiftkey (skinned like the BB10 keyboard of course). I like the ideas of their floating mini keyboard and their split "tablet" keyboard.

It could be invoked with some zigzag motion on half of the Passport keyboard (the half your thumb could reach).

Alternatively, when you do that motion, it would turn that half of the physical keyboard into a "predictive sure type" keyboard (like pre-bb10 virtual keyboards or the pearl keyboard -- which packs two characters per key).

It wouldn't be very easy to keep the whole thing simple and not looking like a mess, but,.. I wonder if they have explored the idea.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 09:33 AM
    Lol, you..

So you get a device knowing it's limitations and then want a fix?
    Ah, I remember the days when people wanted a virtual keyboard and screen rotation for the Q10.
    Oh, come on. There is no perfect device. This is a way to make a good device even better.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 10:40 AM
    Passport needs a touch keyboard for one hand use-img_20141220_114032.png

Here is a screen shot of the keyboard. So what I want is this keyboard in the bottom corner. It should work in either corner for both right and left hand use.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 10:42 AM
    Oh, come on. There is no perfect device. This is a way to make a good device even better.

Posted via CB10
    Ermmm apple has something to say about that ;-).

But sorry your idea doesn't make any sense, if one handed use is so important to you then I'd sell the Passport and get a classic instead.

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    12-20-14 11:19 AM
    Ermmm apple has something to say about that ;-).

But sorry your idea doesn't make any sense, if one handed use is so important to you then I'd sell the Passport and get a classic instead.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it's intended for main use,.. but as an occasional capability. I chose the Passport because 90% of the time I will be able to type on it with two hands, and the benefit of the screen size far outweighs the limited one-handed use (you can of course, view things and scroll with one hand). So why not address (or try to, or at least contemplate) this dip in functionality by providing some compressed virtual kb solution?

When you currently invoke the whole existing virtual kb on the Passport, it provides enough rows to hold the entire Z10/30 virtual keyboard. All that is needed is to switch the virtual keys to characters (instead of symbols), decrease each key's width, to pad one of the sides with empty space so that the keys only take up the same about of horizontal space as they do Z10/30 keyboard.

It would only be enabled when in a text field, and based on some gesture or button press (like holding down the Q or P (for left/right side respectively) for four seconds), and of course an optional feature that could be disabled in settings.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 12:06 PM
    Exactly my point. This is an occasional use thing.

Some people would have any put a decent interior in a pickup truck with this attitude. There are benefits to the Passport. There are also tradeoffs. The point with any phone is to minimize tradeoffs.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 02:59 PM
    Here is an idea, the keyboard should be dynamically sized. When you first set up the phone, have the phone measure your thumb for one hand use and size the one handed virtual keyboard accordingly.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 03:01 PM
    I type beautifully on the Passport with one hand. I am type this right now, with one hand and proficiently so. Like anything new, you have to get used to it and learn how to operate it properly under different circumstances. I walk through the mall having chats with bags in one hand and the Passport in the next. And I determine have big hands.

Passported to you with a touch enabled keyboard!
    12-20-14 07:50 PM
    This isn't a perfect solution, but I just gave the new Silent Keys a try,.. and it allows for an adjustable left/right padding to be added (like I had suggested above).

Passport needs a touch keyboard for one hand use-img_20141221_102633.png

Posted via CB10
    dale-c likes this.
    12-21-14 09:28 AM
    This isn't a perfect solution, but I just gave the new Silent Keys a try,.. and it allows for an adjustable left/right padding to be added (like I had suggested above).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141221_102633.png 
Views:	594 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	322213

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for sharing. I just read about Silent Keys on the CB feed and was thinking about forking over a loonie to give it a try. How is it? I assume it doesn't have flick word predictions.

I actually like the spirit behind this thread. I love my Passport but the one functional loss that is kind of hurting me right now is the ability to efficiently type one handed on the go. If Silent Keys can help close that gap, I'd be very happy.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 09:53 AM
    I think the concept is interesting but I do not see how this would work from a practice sense. Holding the PP with one had is difficult buy itself regardless of having and navigating a mini virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:01 AM
    I feel like we could benefit from having a on screen keyboard. You know how you press the @123 symbol and it brings up the on screen keyboard. It would be handy if a full qwerty keyboard could be implemented into there as an option.
    12-21-14 10:06 AM
    Thanks for sharing. I just read about Silent Keys on the CB feed and was thinking about forking over a loonie to give it a try. How is it? I assume it doesn't have flick word predictions.

I actually like the spirit behind this thread. I love my Passport but the one functional loss that is kind of hurting me right now is the ability to efficiently type one handed on the go. If Silent Keys can help close that gap, I'd be very happy.

Posted via CB10
    It's OK, but has none of the predictive/auto-correct features of the amazing BB10 virtual keyboard. I'm not sure if it has the "heatmap" technology behind it either, so you have to be pretty precise on the key tapping. Although it seems like it could be useful, it definitely makes you appreciate the Passport's real keys!

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 11:37 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141221_102633.png 
Views:	594 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	322213

Posted via CB10
    Awesome, this is exactly the concept I was thinking about, though certainly not as well implemented as the official keyboard would be.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 01:55 PM
    This sounds like someone wanting to text while driving. That is illegal in UK and ought to be most other places.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 02:41 PM
    This sounds like someone wanting to text while driving. That is illegal in UK and ought to be most other places.

Posted via CB10
    It's illegal in most places now. It certainly is in most US states now.

However there are many times where that is useful, like sitting in a rocking chair with a baby in your arms.
    Seriously, there are many, many reasons to use a device one handed.

Posted via CB10
    dalight13 likes this.
    12-21-14 04:02 PM
    When BlackBerry implements this feature (not if, I think they really will) it will simply be activated by turning the phone upside down.

When upside down, you obviously can't use the PKB plus that is when you would use it anyway.

Posted via CB10
    dalight13 likes this.
    12-21-14 04:04 PM
    When BlackBerry implements this feature (not if, I think they really will) it will simply be activated by turning the phone upside down.

When upside down, you obviously can't use the PKB plus that is when you would use it anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Damn, just turned my Passport upside down to see how that would feel. It felt pretty natural. This would be a brilliant idea! I could stay on my Passport all night without waking the ol lady up in bed!

Posted via CB10
    dale-c likes this.
    12-21-14 04:25 PM