06-01-15 08:28 AM
126 ... 3456
tools
    When plugged into the aux has anyone noticed that the sound is not as loud as the Z10 or Z30

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 07:31 PM
    Hey gang, I posted this in another thread but figured my question should be posted here as its more relevant in this thread.

When I use my Skullcandy Crushers I'm not getting the expected bass these headphones deliver.

When I use the same headphones on my Q10 and Z10 n Z30 they sound amazing...same goes for testing it on my 9900 and my ip6+

Using stock players on all the BlackBerry 10 devices and only the Passport that is having this issue.

Definately not a headphone problem I'm thinking there is something different by design on this device or OS version causing this.. mind u the headphones work on the device....its just the bass not coming through.

Using stock 10.3.0.908

Not gonna dabble installing any OS builds yet... the other BlackBerry 10 device all are running stock and not experiencing this issue.

Any further suggestions or workaround greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 07:44 PM
    I have same experience but with Shure SE215...Poweramp seems to help with enhancing Bass...try it...

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-29-14 09:09 PM
    As per teardown, the Passport seems to have the same sound chip as the LG G2 and Nexus 5 (Qualcomm WCD9320 with 192KHz / 24 bit decoding):

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/bla...port-teardown/

It'd be interesting to compare outputs among devices.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 09:03 PM
    Using only the apps found on the phone as delivered from Blackberry, one of the first things that I did with my new BB Passport was to load it up with 64 GB of 16bit, 24bit and 32bit FLAC and WAV files. It played them all. (APE files were unfortunately not recognized - those may require another player)

I'm currently listening to the music through my Shure 425 earbuds. Audio is set to no EQ.

No harsh audio anywhere yet.

No lack of detail or imaging either.

My experience with Android is that different music players will change the sound quality in playback.

Not really a country fan, but one of my favorite albums for audio testing is Johny Cash and Willie Nelson in VH1 Storytellers. Just 2 guys + 2 guitars = incredible sound. Playing it now. Listening to it, one can image and hear each voice, side by side, and each guitar, also side by side - and lower. Truly great miking and recording.

The sound is quite neutral actually. Makes for easy and tireless listening.
    04-03-15 01:48 AM
    I have a very good feeling from Passport sound quality. No issue at all comparing to my previous iPhone 6+ or even Xperia Z3 (considered as a best sound mobile phone). Anyway, I am not audiophile, but I am quite sensitive on sound quality and I am perfectly happy with my PP.
    04-03-15 04:46 AM
    Seems fine quality by me...better get quality headphones such as Beats etc..

BB PP on DiGi Telco SP
    04-03-15 04:52 AM
    Back in the day, Blackberrys used to come with Blackberry brand cases that were actually quite good and worked with the phone to answer and hang up calls as you took it out/put it in the case. Those were the days. I wish they still did and in fact, you're hard pressed to find cases like those any more
    04-03-15 07:09 AM
    The budled earphone sucks. If you use a better iem, it sounds pretty decent.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 07:20 AM
    Try marshall headphones

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 07:55 AM
    Ultimate crap pal it must be the low quality of you mp3's your downloading. Go onto y-utube and see the sound test video iPhone 6 plus vs passport and passport wins hands down, especially because it has two speakers

Posted via BBPP
    04-03-15 08:41 AM
    I agree music apps and quality aren't BlackBerry's strong suit. Have you tried different headphones? My Z30 sounds pretty good with headphones that are made for music and can be set up by Bluetooth.
    Sorry I and BlackBerry tend to disagree!

Since the Z30, the Passport being improved has THE BEST Digital Signal Processor (DSP) or any phones.

And I say this jokingly with some truth, Beats, Inc headphones seem to be tuned better for lower and mid Bass ranges exclusively while highs and mids are glaringly horrible - these would accentuate Bass.

Seinhauser (sorry poor spelling) are a pure quality brand as previously mentioned. Start with this.

I'm quite surprised nobody mentioned the EQ that is present in the Native music app. There are better music apps out there but by default the sound quality on BB10 is 10x fold better than iOS! I know because I've used both since 2011 and every iteration since iPhone 4S vs Z10/Q10/Z30 the quality of music (using same music files) is always better on BB10!

I listen to music on my smartphone or phones every day for at least 45mins commute on TTC or walking to and from work 5 days a week. Like LL Cool J 'I Can't Live Without My Radio'!!

Play with the EQ or other music apps out there Android or Native Qt/Cascades apps. I plan on purchasing a Passport since I've made 3 users at work upgrading them to one over the last few Months and they absolutely love it. One user is my test when Ipv6 is enabled on Corp network for Blend.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 01:00 PM
    Using only the apps found on the phone as delivered from Blackberry, one of the first things that I did with my new BB Passport was to load it up with 64 GB of 16bit, 24bit and 32bit FLAC and WAV files. It played them all. (APE files were unfortunately not recognized - those may require another player)

I'm currently listening to the music through my Shure 425 earbuds. Audio is set to no EQ.

No harsh audio anywhere yet.

No lack of detail or imaging either.

My experience with Android is that different music players will change the sound quality in playback.

Not really a country fan, but one of my favorite albums for audio testing is Johny Cash and Willie Nelson in VH1 Storytellers. Just 2 guys + 2 guitars = incredible sound. Playing it now. Listening to it, one can image and hear each voice, side by side, and each guitar, also side by side - and lower. Truly great miking and recording.

The sound is quite neutral actually. Makes for easy and tireless listening.
    I have discovered that with modern audio compression formats music like this actually sounds impressive (even might I say better) at low bit rates like 128. The reason is there are only 2 voices and 2 instruments. It's all mid range, no very low or very high notes except what might be background noise. Lossy encoding is actually quite clever tech which will sacrifice the very high and low frequencies first giving an effect a bit like dolby B. It's still a useful test but I would struggle to tell apart a 128kbps and 320kbps when listening to this music. That said choose other music and I really think I can tell Flac from 256kbps.
    For example of how lossy encoding really screws up.
    Listen to Sia Chandelier on Youtube official video with any equipment even your BlackBerry standard head phones, now the youtube quality should be around 192kbps quality. Sounds ok to start with intact very crisp and impressive but once the song gets going and there's a lot going on it quickly deteriorates into a right mess, better equipment you use the more obvious this is. I imagine a 320kbps download or Flac (if availabe) would sound much better, then again it might be something in the production?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 03:16 PM
    I use Beats by Dre Pro headphones & they sond amazing on my Passport. I use high quality audio files (256kbps or better). The first thing I do when I unbox any BlackBerry is remove the phone. Next, I throw out the included headphones. I also have a pair of Shure earbuds that cancel noise and sound great!

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 04:22 PM
    The Passport is great for music, just don't use the default headphones.
    I by pass the built in DAC and Amp and use OTG adapter to Fiio E17K Amp/DAC paired with Sennheiser Momentum or B&W C5 IEM's.

Audio source is Flac or 320kbps mp3, never lower than that.
    With the Aptx codex, music streamed via my bluetooth to car sounds so much better than when I streamed from iPhone with Alac files.

Only gripe is if I have my headphones on with media contro when I don't have the E17K attached is they don't work as they did on iPhone. But the quality of the music is much better and would sacrifice a little convenience.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 03:05 PM
    I only carry the stock headphones in my laptop as a backup for conference calls on the road.

For music, the stock earbuds are unbearably bad IMO.

Music played on my Bose soundtrue over ear is very good. My music was mostly imported from an iTunes collection, so may have something to do with the difference in quality some are noticing.

Spotify with high quality audio over WiFi sounds really good to me.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 03:19 PM
    I recently gave away all my old mp3 players, then in a test of picky-ness, compared the headphone outs using the same music on the Passport / Z10, to iPod Touch 4G / iPhone 3GS, and lastly, the Curve 8520.

Surprisingly, I like the Curve best. The older idevices would sound good initially but gave way to a tinny-ness, inducing listening fatigue. The Curve is probably not the greatest if good, but to me has the better detail in timbres, stereo separation, and range clarity, perhaps at the sacrifice of a little bass.. The Passport falls kind of in between although it didn't reproduce the same quality in detail.

In short, The Curve can take lower $ headphones and lower bit rate audio and make them sound pretty darn decent. Perhaps part of its on the go entry-level consumer media design in mind. I have headphones that I bought at over a couple hundred $ but when listening to portable mp3s usually use a sub $50 pair... The Passport is currently not my go to in this combination but I might find myself listening with the higher quality headphones on it while at home.
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    04-13-15 08:51 AM
    I'm use my Passport all the time with both a set of decent Shure earbuds and as a bluetooth source for my car and have no complaints with either.

Then again most of my files are .flac format...

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 09:51 AM

Spotify with high quality audio over WiFi sounds really good to me.

Posted via CB10
    That's the default setting, Spotify also offers "extreme" quality, which I believe is 320kbps which improved things, especially in the car. Once changed in settings, there was no prompt to resync so had to delete data cache and resync everything. Took a bit but now sounds great.
    By the way, PP headphones went through the laundry, still work but it didn't clean up the sound any.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 05:07 PM
    I've been very impressed with the passports audio, it's one of the best on a phone I have used and although I have never been able to justify expensive headphones I love high quality audio and have used some awesome gear while recording rock and blues in some well equipped, studio spaces. I have 2 sets of headphones I use regularly a set of Marley - Redemption song in-ears (I usually avoid artist endorsed headphones like the plague but these are pretty good, although the bass is boosted more than I'd usually like it remains fairly tight and clear. Not bad for 40) and some Sony SBH80 bluetooth in-ears(the dual mics work awesome for conference calls and the isolation is better than the marleys). Both are great, are a huge improvement over the stock phones and suit everything from acoustic, through dance all the way to progressive metal.

I have a few tips that have worked for me.

1. Always replace the headphones that come in the box - this should be obvious by now but a half decent set of headphones will make the biggest difference.

2. Your sound is only as good as the weakest link in the chain from source file to your ears - if you have great headphones then you will hear all the crappyness of the awful 64kbps mp3s you downloaded from limewire in the early 00's. High ohmage studio cans will be quiet as hell when not plugged in to a proper headphone amp and bad headphones will ruin everything.

3. Bluetooth is important - bluetooth has a bunch of bitrates and codecs. Top of the pile is apt-x which is very high quality all the way down to the crummy, low quality codecs that gave old bluetooth headphones a bad name (and made everything sound like those horrendous limewire downloads.) A crappy bluetooth receiver will not only have a bad DAC and amp but will also use the lowest common denominator codec and bitrate. It doesn't matter how good your phone is at audio, a cheap bluetooth receiver will ruin it.

4. Don't over EQ - if you have to EQ, EQ down, this will make sure you don't get digital clipping (which sounds awful) EQ is also never a substitute for good hardware. If you have to boost the bass to ungodly levels because you have a tinny speaker system and have to compensate then it's likely the rest of the frequencies now sound like *** as you have overloaded the capabilities of your speaker system.

5. Enjoy the music - don't get too caught up in getting "the best" sound, you will just end up broke after spending 10k on 4ft of "directional" speaker cable, there's a law of diminishing returns when it comes to audio gear, find a happy medium between cost and quality and enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 06:50 PM
    I have the same issues. Coming from HTC M7 with Poweramp working the music is amazing. From the stock player the Passport music reproduction sucks big time. The preset equalizer for the stock player sucks. I might have to buy neutron player to get the sound I want from the device if I can't get Poweramp to scan my songs.

My song files are all 320kbps, 44.1khz, with Shure SE425, SE215, and auditioned the phone with a few other IEM that cost more than the phone itself.... IE800 and SE846. The device sound reproduction at stock just sucks. I thought I had something wrong with my headphones until I used my old source and heard the very noticeable sound quality difference.

The speaker on the passport is very good though on par with HTC!
    04-14-15 09:43 PM
    I have the same issues. Coming from HTC M7 with Poweramp working the music is amazing. From the stock player the Passport music reproduction sucks big time. The preset equalizer for the stock player sucks. I might have to buy neutron player to get the sound I want from the device if I can't get Poweramp to scan my songs.

My song files are all 320kbps, 44.1khz, with Shure SE425, SE215, and auditioned the phone with a few other IEM that cost more than the phone itself.... IE800 and SE846. The device sound reproduction at stock just sucks. I thought I had something wrong with my headphones until I used my old source and heard the very noticeable sound quality difference.

The speaker on the passport is very good though on par with HTC!
    Are you still using MP3 format?
    Change it to lossless or AAC.
    05-28-15 06:23 PM
    Two things:

1) Headphones included with electronics are crap, as a general rule. They're cheap, cheaply made, and provided mainly so the masses who aren't into audio have some way to use the device without pissing off everyone around them (speakers). My GF's iPhone 5 headphones (the "new", redesigned ones) are better than nothing, but they're crap compared to even a cheap $30-$50 pair of good in-ear headphones or even my Bluetooth stereo headset.

2) This guy is an audio professional and he rated the Passport pretty highly for sound quality, and I'd guess he likely knows a bit more about the subject than most of us here. He did mention the stock music app's EQ leaves some stuff to be desired, but he also mentioned a few replacement music apps that fix the issue: Blackberry Passport Review Part 2: So how does it sound? ? Audiophile on
    05-30-15 12:16 AM
    Coming from a Q10 to the Classic the sound quality has increased a lot on the 10.3 devices. I've never used the stock headphones that came with the phone though. I didn't know people actually did that.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    05-31-15 03:15 AM
    I'm only using FLAC files and a good pair of Sennheiser buds and the sound is way better than my Note 2 that I had before.

Same with my car soundsystem.

If you use ****ty files, the rest will sound ****ty also.

But first, get better buds that the ones that came witht he phone...
    06-01-15 08:16 AM
126 ... 3456