Shure SE215+Passport+1024Kbps FLAC+PowerAmp...

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-25-14 01:54 AM
    Honestly guys this is the first time I'm hearing about this flac format. Is there a good source to download from? Most the music I have is in mixed mp3 and mp4 quality. It's all over the place really. It's just from the last 10 years or so of collecting downloads and whatnot.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 07:46 AM
    Passport is my first BlackBerry. Music quality is disappointing.-img_20141225_132244.png

Generally it is ripped from original source such as CD or SACD or split from HD Video stream. You can download paid versions from http://www.hdtracks.com/ or something similar...

12-25-14 07:54 AM
    2831 Kbps...

Passport is my first BlackBerry. Music quality is disappointing.-img_20141225_235921.png

jmr1015 likes this.
    12-25-14 12:30 PM
    2831 Kbps...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141225_235921.png 
Views:	442 
Size:	708.1 KB 
ID:	323099

Lol wot

Check Out TechCraze
    12-25-14 12:37 PM
    Honestly guys this is the first time I'm hearing about this flac format. Is there a good source to download from? Most the music I have is in mixed mp3 and mp4 quality. It's all over the place really. It's just from the last 10 years or so of collecting downloads and whatnot.

Posted via CB10
    In my opinion, lossless audio files, like FLAC, are usually only worthwhile if you're listening through a quality source with quality headphones. Without a DAC, amp, and good headphones, the difference between a decent legit purchased MP3 and a FLAC file of the exact same song are minimal for most people. Definitely noticeable to an audiophile, but for the average listener, I don't think you'll be picking up the seperation between instruments in an orchestra... Like, being able to count exactly how many violinists are present in the piece. Some people will "hear" a difference because they expect to... But in a blind listen test, actually wouldn't notice the differences. It's a placebo effect.

Just pick up some decent $30-$50 Sennheiser's or Klipsch or something similar, and try listening to your MP3s through one of the apps recommended... and see where you are after some extended listening with those new headphones.
    chinmay007 likes this.
    12-25-14 01:37 PM
    I'm not trolling I'm just trying to get a feel for what people do about it if they've experienced it. I'm hoping someone out there knows how to get poweramp for android to work. It has been a godsend for every android I've ever owned. It just refuses to find music on the passport. I've also noticed that there's a bunch of android music players that do play music but their equalizers in app don't change anything.

Posted via CB10
    Try DFX player pro. I downloaded from aptoid. Works a treat equalizer and all.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 02:05 PM
    FLAC or Free Lossless Audio Codec is a lossless audio compression format (compresses the file without loss of information, pretty much like ZIP). MP3, on the other hand, is a "lossy" audio compression format (compresses the file with loss of information not noticeable depending on settings). MP3, when done properly, should sound transparent for most people, that is, as if there is almost no difference between mp3 and the lossless source. Most of the time, FLAC is just placebo. People think it's good because they know its lossless, but make them listen to a properly made MP3 and 99% of the time, it'll be indistinguishable.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    jmr1015 likes this.
    12-25-14 03:46 PM
    Music on mobile is several parts.

File - Lossless (Flac) will give you better sound over MP3s. If you must use MP3s at least 320 KPS.

Headphones/ Equlizer - These work together to assist you with getting the sound you want. Set the EQ to give the headphones an assist where needed. $5 earbuds will sound like a tin can regardless. $30 headphones will give you a nice step up depending. Investing in a $100 or $200 pair (I use Shure SE215s and SE315s) will help you most hear what you've been missing.

Operating System - Self explanatory. Some are better tuned then others.

Hardware/ DAC - Hardware components will make a huge difference. Wire shielding and a focus on electronic noise reduction in and around the DAC are key engineering requirements of a decent sound system. And finally the DAC itself. This is where BB has often cheaped out a bit. Even when they have used mid to high end boards like the Z10, Q10 and Z30 they have skipped over any available Wolfson DAC and opted for a lower end (cheaper) hardware. Again, this can be overcome for the audiophile who is constantly away from home. There are lots and lots of mobile DACs. Including top end USB DACs that can plug into a BB with USB to go.
    I swear by:
    KLIPSCH X7i approx 300$ retail

They have balanced armatures giving an ultra clear dynamic response effect. Great ultra clear sound profile in the lows mids and highs and sustained bass without any distortion. They also feel the best and are the most comfortable IEM's I've ever used!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android side loaded on the Passport!
    12-25-14 04:32 PM
    KLIPSCH x7i

Attached Thumbnails Passport is my first BlackBerry. Music quality is disappointing.-x7iblack_635043071856570000.jpg  
    12-25-14 04:32 PM
    FLAC or Free Lossless Audio Codec is a lossless audio compression format (compresses the file without loss of information, pretty much like ZIP). MP3, on the other hand, is a "lossy" audio compression format (compresses the file with loss of information not noticeable depending on settings). MP3, when done properly, should sound transparent for most people, that is, as if there is almost no difference between mp3 and the lossless source. Most of the time, FLAC is just placebo. People think it's good because they know its lossless, but make them listen to a properly made MP3 and 99% of the time, it'll be indistinguishable.

This ^^

I would bet that even flies ripped from YouTube in original flash format and converted to MP3, 95% of people would not know the difference (especially decent uploads like VeVo)

Those that need it like musicians, concert pianists, composers and true audiophiles would know to use FLAC.

Posted via Digicel Z10 10.2.1.3062
    12-25-14 04:44 PM
    12-25-14 06:35 PM
    Those that need it like musicians, concert pianists, composers and true audiophiles would know to use FLAC.
    You don't have to be like these people to use FLAC. I'm using it as an archiving platform, to convert my CDs to a bit-perfect, soft copy. I'm also using it when I'm listening to music on my computer. But for listening on-the-go, it's not recommended. You wouldn't hear the difference anyway, why waste storage space and processing power? Yes, placebo is a very powerful word.

12-25-14 10:09 PM
    Think the op should do following:

Take a varied selections of cds that they like and re encode them from source to flac, also save some tracks to mp3 320,256,190,160 and 128. Also if have I tunes re-encode some to aac .
    Take passport and another older phone that they were happy with and go to a decent hifi shop and try out some decent equipment. Not headphones but hifi systems.
    They might then get some idea how good the passport is as a source.

Think the problem, if indeed there is any problem at all ,is that there are limited equalizer controls on the passport so some people might not be able to get the kind of sound they are used to particularly if they are fans of stuff like Bose that produces highly unnatural sound.

People who want a very flat unmessed about with output from their audio source tend to like the passport sound.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 02:03 AM
    Do you have the headphone boost turned on? Settings > Main Volume > Headphone Audio Boost
    I can't find that setting on my passport running stock operating system.

Barry

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 05:24 AM
    Worth listening*

12-26-14 05:29 AM
    I compared the Passport to my Q10 (which has a proven very good audio quality, besides some noise on very sensitive IEMs) and my Sony NWZ-15 MP3 player. I used Neutron with my standard test Flacs. The audio quality of the Passport is absolutely fine and not worse than the Q10 . I used DT770 Edition and Phonak PFE 112.
    I think the OP should simply use better headphones...

Gesendet von meinem Passport mit Tapatalk
    12-26-14 07:04 AM
    The frequency response is s touch low, good for bass lovers but the mids may sound slightly muffled. Overall good specs and the drivers are dynamic. Good for the sale price they are advertising but not worth the 190$ reg price.

12-26-14 08:21 AM
    I compared the Passport to my Q10 (which has a proven very good audio quality, besides some noise on very sensitive IEMs) and my Sony NWZ-15 MP3 player. I used Neutron with my standard test Flacs. The audio quality of the Passport is absolutely fine and not worse than the Q10 . I used DT770 Edition and Phonak PFE 112.
    I think the OP should simply use better headphones...

Gesendet von meinem Passport mit Tapatalk
    Agreed!

12-26-14 08:23 AM
    Apparently the folks at head-fi thinks the sound is good. Pm me if anyone wants a link for optimal settings. (post count too low to post a link)

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 10:30 PM
    Passport is my first BlackBerry. Music quality is disappointing.-img_20141228_213652.jpg the wife just bought me these. And oh man, what a difference. With these, poweramp vs stock music player, stock player actually wins. Bass hits hard, I can hear everything else clearly with it. I am completely amazed what this phone can sound like.

Some songs still drown out alittle but it's so minimal I can't really complain. I really should just sit down one night and rip new sound files. What I have on my SD card is a plethora of quality from cd rips, youtube to mp3 downloads and just plain Internet downloads from mp3sugar to amazon mp3 and xbox music way back beginning from 2001.

Posted via CB10
    BoyTanggol likes this.
    12-28-14 08:43 PM

Name:	IMG_20141228_213652.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	323891 the wife just bought me these. And oh man, what a difference. With these, poweramp vs stock music player, stock player actually wins. Bass hits hard, I can hear everything else clearly with it. I am completely amazed what this phone can sound like.

Some songs still drown out alittle but it's so minimal I can't really complain. I really should just sit down one night and rip new sound files. What I have on my SD card is a plethora of quality from cd rips, youtube to mp3 downloads and just plain Internet downloads from mp3sugar to amazon mp3 and xbox music way back beginning from 2001.

Posted via CB10
    There is also a free software that can convert multiple music files at a time to higher quality so you don't have to go looking, but the drawback is they won't be tied to their 'artist, genre,etc' info anymore

Check Out TechCraze
    12-29-14 03:37 AM
    There is also a free software that can convert multiple music files at a time to higher quality so you don't have to go looking, but the drawback is they won't be tied to their 'artist, genre,etc' info anymore

Check Out TechCraze
    It's pretty much useless. As far as I know, a software cannot increase the audio quality of an already existing song by converting it into higher bitrate.

Posted via Q10
    jmr1015, ronfc and saxxman like this.
    12-29-14 12:43 PM

Name:	IMG_20141228_213652.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	323891 the wife just bought me these. And oh man, what a difference. With these, poweramp vs stock music player, stock player actually wins. Bass hits hard, I can hear everything else clearly with it. I am completely amazed what this phone can sound like.

Posted via CB10
    Be warned tho they do break easily!

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 01:28 PM

Check Out TechCraze
    Converting lower bitrate audio to higher won't give you better sound quality. Compressed audio files are not like ZIP files. When a media file is compressed at a lower rate, you lose data. Converting to a higher bit rate won't bring that data back.
    12-29-14 05:24 PM
126 ... 23456