doesn't appear I have that option.
    What country are you in? I'm wondering if some countries don't allow the Headphone Audio Boost option.
    12-22-14 10:54 AM
    I think it's a software bug with wired headsets because I've been hearing lots of bad things it. However Bluetooth headsets sounds amazing on the Passport. You should try wireless Bluetooth and let us know if that makes a difference for you.
    12-22-14 11:16 AM
    Never really wanted to go blackberry until I saw the passport and I'll first say I am quite impressed with it. The physical keyboard, the screen size, the overall build of the phone is pretty awesome. Blackberry made a very effective ui. Gestures feel natural and I never have to look at the keyboard while I type. It's a good amount of freedom I have all but forgotten about since my old Verizon prepaid slide out keyboard phone. I never really got quite used to a virtual keyboard.

Now the single most disappointing thing about this phone is the headphone quality. I've only tried this with the included headphones so correct me if it's just these things. I listen to metal and whenever there's a lot of things going on in a song everything seems to drown out. Bass hits are quieter. Vocals sound distant. Everything else sounds very distorted. Until it calms down again. Then it sounds okay again. I only say okay though. My initial thought when I found this out was to download poweramp from snap. Installs and works fine but it doesn't find any music at all. Poweramp is normally capable of making the worst phone with the worst pile of cheap headphones you can find sound completely amazing. I was disappointed when for some reason this is the only android player that just refuses to find any files on this phone at all. Maybe someone knows a remedy?

I ended up buying neutron because of the reviews. Not a very user friendly app. But I was determined to get my music to sound good again. Took me about an hour of fiddling to get it to where I wanted. Then I compared some songs to the stock player only to find out the stock player still sounds better than neutron. So there goes $6 in the toilet.

I'm hoping this is a software issue. I've tried a bunch of other music apps from snap. All of them play music but all of the equalizers don't change anything. Must be an android blackberry thing.

Posted via CB10
    To be honest...don't think too much about Music quality as BlackBerry hasn't paid any attention to creature comforts while making Passport so music isn't going to sound any better...only thing which can make it little better is using loss less high fidelity source files and dynamic driver head phones or IEMs...and this is just my opinion based on the experiments I have carried out...I have FLAC HIFI source and now I am trying to get IEM bit sorted...

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-22-14 11:25 AM
    You are complaining about the quality not only using head phones but also bt to car audio.
    Personally think the quality of most mobile phones as an audio source is pretty good and BlackBerry are as good as most.
    Accept point headphones provided with phones inc BlackBerry are generally low quality.

Is your head unit apt-x if not any degradation in quality is over blue tooth is that your head unit does not support high quality bt input.
    Have you also tried with connecting cable?

What kind of budget is your car head unit that can highlight deficiencies in the phone as a source?

Also what format are your media files in. Mp3, AAC? at what bit rate?

What kind of sound are you looking for. BlackBerry gives a pretty flat output do you want a spacy stereo enhanced sound?

Posted via CB10
    mister2d likes this.
    12-22-14 12:25 PM
    Attachment 322408 doesn't appear I have that option.

Posted via CB10
    This option?

Passport is my first BlackBerry. Music quality is disappointing.-img_20141222_102635.png

I'm on:

Passport is my first BlackBerry. Music quality is disappointing.-img_20141217_142228.png

Thread title should be "stock headset quality is disappointing"

I'm a DJ and I use Ultrasone DJ1 cans when I'm at home, but I've been using the Apple earpods cause the OEM Blackberry ones are a joke, and the quality is good IMO.

Posted via CB10

Attachment 322438
    Attachment 322439
    12-22-14 12:29 PM
    When playing music are you setting the equalizer? Check the bottom right corner and look for equalizer.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 12:29 PM
    This option?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141222_102635.png 
Views:	959 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	322434

I'm on:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141217_142228.png 
Views:	958 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	322435

Thread title should be "stock headset quality is disappointing"

I'm a DJ and I use Ultrasone DJ1 cans when I'm at home, but I've been using the Apple earpods cause the OEM Blackberry ones are a joke, and the quality is good IMO.

Posted via CB10

Attachment 322438
    Attachment 322439
    Hey being a DJ have you ever tried the new Westone professional series IEM's? Just curious?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-22-14 12:33 PM
    Hey being a DJ have you ever tried the new Westone professional series IEM's? Just curious?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I haven't.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 12:54 PM
    Passport is my first BlackBerry. Music quality is disappointing.-img_20141222_140933.png using the same versions as you. Still no option shows up for me. Even with the headphones in and music on.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 01:12 PM

I was asking this as well, in so many words.

I think once we find this out, we can they proceed with the other variables.
    mister2d likes this.
    12-22-14 01:19 PM
    I'm using Bose wireless on ear headphones and of course also depending on the file...the sound is amazing. Not to mention the added equalizer is nice!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 01:26 PM
    What sound files are you playing and at what quality?

Re: stock earbuds.... I haven't used them in years after realizing how $hit they are.
    Gotten to a point where they stay in the box, unraveled in the little plastic bag and the only thing they are good for is that when I decide to sell my phone and the stock headphones are brand new!

Re: eq settings.... 'nice' to have, but never found the default settings to reproduce the way I wanted it, so always resorted to the custom tuning. Also noticed that the default settings wouldn't represent the music I was listening to. This is with any device, not just BB.
    You are complaining about the quality not only using head phones but also bt to car audio.
    Personally think the quality of most mobile phones as an audio source is pretty good and BlackBerry are as good as most.
    Accept point headphones provided with phones inc BlackBerry are generally low quality.

Is your head unit apt-x if not any degradation in quality is over blue tooth is that your head unit does not support high quality bt input.
    Have you also tried with connecting cable?

What kind of budget is your car head unit that can highlight deficiencies in the phone as a source?

What kind of sound are you looking for. BlackBerry gives a pretty flat output do you want a spacy stereo enhanced sound?
    OP, you should answer the questions quoted by posters above first. This will help on any music device you are using as the source.
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    12-22-14 01:33 PM
    Music on mobile is several parts.

File - Lossless (Flac) will give you better sound over MP3s. If you must use MP3s at least 320 KPS.

Headphones/ Equlizer - These work together to assist you with getting the sound you want. Set the EQ to give the headphones an assist where needed. $5 earbuds will sound like a tin can regardless. $30 headphones will give you a nice step up depending. Investing in a $100 or $200 pair (I use Shure SE215s and SE315s) will help you most hear what you've been missing.

Operating System - Self explanatory. Some are better tuned then others.

Hardware/ DAC - Hardware components will make a huge difference. Wire shielding and a focus on electronic noise reduction in and around the DAC are key engineering requirements of a decent sound system. And finally the DAC itself. This is where BB has often cheaped out a bit. Even when they have used mid to high end boards like the Z10, Q10 and Z30 they have skipped over any available Wolfson DAC and opted for a lower end (cheaper) hardware. Again, this can be overcome for the audiophile who is constantly away from home. There are lots and lots of mobile DACs. Including top end USB DACs that can plug into a BB with USB to go.
    Last edited by 1magine; 12-23-14 at 10:06 AM.
    mister2d likes this.
    12-22-14 01:43 PM
    Music on mobile is several parts.

File - Lossless (Flac) will give you better sound over MP3s. If you must use MP3s at least 360 or higher KPS.
    Just one small correction, but it's very minor in your point. MP3's only go as high as 320kbps.
    BACK-2-BLACK and 1magine like this.
    12-22-14 01:54 PM
    Never really wanted to go blackberry until I saw the passport and I'll first say I am quite impressed with it. The physical keyboard, the screen size, the overall build of the phone is pretty awesome. Blackberry made a very effective ui. Gestures feel natural and I never have to look at the keyboard while I type. It's a good amount of freedom I have all but forgotten about since my old Verizon prepaid slide out keyboard phone. I never really got quite used to a virtual keyboard.

Now the single most disappointing thing about this phone is the headphone quality. I've only tried this with the included headphones so correct me if it's just these things. I listen to metal and whenever there's a lot of things going on in a song everything seems to drown out. Bass hits are quieter. Vocals sound distant. Everything else sounds very distorted. Until it calms down again. Then it sounds okay again. I only say okay though. My initial thought when I found this out was to download poweramp from snap. Installs and works fine but it doesn't find any music at all. Poweramp is normally capable of making the worst phone with the worst pile of cheap headphones you can find sound completely amazing. I was disappointed when for some reason this is the only android player that just refuses to find any files on this phone at all. Maybe someone knows a remedy?

I ended up buying neutron because of the reviews. Not a very user friendly app. But I was determined to get my music to sound good again. Took me about an hour of fiddling to get it to where I wanted. Then I compared some songs to the stock player only to find out the stock player still sounds better than neutron. So there goes $6 in the toilet.

I'm hoping this is a software issue. I've tried a bunch of other music apps from snap. All of them play music but all of the equalizers don't change anything. Must be an android blackberry thing.

Posted via CB10
    hold on, hold on, hold on.. some how you expected full studio quality sound from little ear bud earphones included wit the phone??? Hold on a second while I laugh.... hahahaahahahahahahaahahaha

Okay, now.. for a lesson in sound quality... Its like a camera... Your phone will never be able to take better video than a HD Professional, high specs camera any more than little earbuds, no matter what app, is going to make any genre of music better than Prosumer Headphones, Professional Headphones, Studio Quality Monitors.... Furthermore, listening to a crappy mp3 with the lowest quality specs isn't going to sound good period, no matter what its played on... but go ahead and blame the phone... lol this just made my day... hHAHAHAAH
    12-22-14 02:55 PM
    If you are serious about music, why then do you not have a set of good earphones already?

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015, arfin, mister2d and 3 others like this.
    12-22-14 05:15 PM
    instead of using the stock headphones invest in a good set of cans or iem's the ones from bberry dont sound good
    12-22-14 06:01 PM
    Similar but different issue, I noticed that when playing music through speakers, my friends iPhone playing from spotify sounded much louder on maximum volume than mine on maximum volume, don't know if this is to do with spotify using better quality music or a phone thing....

Check Out TechCraze
    12-22-14 06:33 PM
    Neutron Music Player is like having an audiophile music system. If you're not getting good results, don't blame Neutron Music Player.

Know what you're doing with the settings before you mess with them. Go on the internet a research a bit if you don't know.

If you're going to crank up the bass on the EQ, then turn down the preamp, and use the power amp as volume. Otherwise you'll get clipping (distortion) in the bass channels. Get used to switching back and forth between the preamp and power amp. Be aware that volume keys on the side of your phone will raise or lower the power amp.

Turn Dither on. Turn AGP (Automatic Gain Protection) on.

On DSP Effect, try know the difference between Crossfeed and Surround Sound.

Use 64 bit processing.

That's just to start, there's a lot more.

No audiophiles use the supplied earbuds that come with a smartphone, It doesn't matter if it's BlackBerry, iPhone or Samsung, they should go straight in the garbage. I suggest looking a Shure SE215 earbud headphones if you're a beginner;

Shure SE215

Here's a website where you can build a graph to compare headphones. In the first drop down menu choose Shure SE215, in the second drop down menu choose 'stock Apple earbuds', then a lower down press the button that say's 'build a graph'. You'll see that stock headphones are a waste of time.

Build A Graph | headphone.com

I own a few pairs of expensive headphones, and have a different EQ setup for each.
    12-22-14 07:01 PM
    Similar but different issue, I noticed that when playing music through speakers, my friends iPhone playing from spotify sounded much louder on maximum volume than mine on maximum volume, don't know if this is to do with spotify using better quality music or a phone thing....

Check Out TechCraze

its because the iphone uses a better dac which is why the music sounds better than on the bberry
    tinochiko likes this.
    12-22-14 09:42 PM
    Worth a Read...
    https://developer.qualcomm.com/showc...ftware-upgrade

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...processors/801

So who's fault it is?

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-22-14 10:03 PM
    Before you judge a device in its entirety just because of its crappy bundled earphones, you can try some headphones suggested here.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    12-22-14 10:25 PM
    or if you wanna kick some arse get a headphone amp with the headphones
    1magine and mister2d like this.
    12-22-14 10:33 PM
    Maybe the next "hig end" touchscreen will have an ES9018 DAC and a TI OPA2604 headphone amp built right in................................................ .............

Ahh, ok. Back to work.
    12-23-14 10:13 AM
    People people, headphones and bitrates isn't my issue. I've gotten pretty good sound using the included headphones on my wife's moto x. The same sound distortion and fading happens with my phone using the headphones or connected to my cars stereo or my home stereo. When bass hits hard it sounds good unless there's a lot of stuff going on with it. At that point it hits then everything else quiets down. Or it just random distorts everything in the background.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 12:59 PM
126 1234 ...