Bundled earphones, aka bundled fm antenna with speakers on the end lol.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 01:01 PM
    People people, headphones and bitrates isn't my issue. I've gotten pretty good sound using the included headphones on my wife's moto x. The same sound distortion and fading happens with my phone using the headphones or connected to my cars stereo or my home stereo. When bass hits hard it sounds good unless there's a lot of stuff going on with it. At that point it hits then everything else quiets down. Or it just random distorts everything in the background.

Posted via CB10
    You sound like a troll. It's like you completely ignored what everyone told you before this post.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dave Bourque; 12-23-14 at 01:50 PM.
    12-23-14 01:26 PM
    Music quality in the Z30 is excellent !

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    12-23-14 01:27 PM
    People people, headphones and bitrates isn't my issue. I've gotten pretty good sound using the included headphones on my wife's moto x. The same sound distortion and fading happens with my phone using the headphones or connected to my cars stereo or my home stereo. When bass hits hard it sounds good unless there's a lot of stuff going on with it. At that point it hits then everything else quiets down. Or it just random distorts everything in the background.

Posted via CB10
    It sounds either defective or you have some weird EQ settings enabled.
    12-23-14 01:38 PM
    Passport is my first BlackBerry. Music quality is disappointing.-img_20141223_144529.png
    Have you found the equalizer? Check that out.

BlackBerry Passport and loving it!
    12-23-14 01:46 PM
    Change d headphone....buy senheiser Cx275

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 01:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Again, if you're using Neutron Music Player and you crank up the bass on the EQ, then you should turn down the preamp, and use the power amp as volume. Otherwise you'll get clipping (distortion) in the bass channels.
    Even if you using a flat EQ setting, try turning down the preamp and raise the power amp. That will eliminate clipping (distortion).
    12-23-14 03:33 PM
    Again, if you're using Neutron Music Player and you crank up the bass on the EQ, then you should turn down the preamp, and use the power amp as volume. Otherwise you'll get clipping (distortion) in the bass channels.
    Even if you using a flat EQ setting, try turning down the preamp and raise the power amp. That will eliminate clipping (distortion).
    Hi, I know there are a few Neutron threads, but is there one you can point me to that simplifies it like you've explained some of the things here? I like listening to good music but don't have all the knowledge to fully take advantage of Neutron and get into issues frequently...

Check Out TechCraze
    12-23-14 04:07 PM
    Think I'm getting what OP is on about.
    Certainly with neutron if you are trying to push the bass up its easy to set the preamp to high so the app reduces the volume it can be a problem with standard car audio which does not have a lot of base getting the most out of what limited base there.
    If you use headphones very loud then this might also be a problem.

Most mobile phones inc BlackBerry have limited volume as there have been lawsuits in the past with respect to hearing loss. Even a new Apple phone is a lot quieter than an early Ipod.

If you like things loud use high sensitivity headphones as a headphone amp isn't very practical. For car audio unless using an Apple phone or a head unit with an old version of blue tooth best to use blue tooth. Can also concider an aptX bluetooth receiver with a quality DAC e.g. Wolfson

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 04:58 PM
    He was having this issue before he purchased the Neutron app. I don't think that is it.
    12-23-14 06:24 PM
    Hi, I know there are a few Neutron threads, but is there one you can point me to that simplifies it like you've explained some of the things here? I like listening to good music but don't have all the knowledge to fully take advantage of Neutron and get into issues frequently...

Check Out TechCraze
    No problem, here you go;
    Neutron Forum

If you're new to Neutron Music Player, I would suggest you practice navigating to all the different screens before you get in deep to explore the different settings.

Top left corner button toggles between what's playing and EQ.

Top right button toggles between what's playing and tracklist.

When you're on tracklist the back-arrow button on the bottom left takes you back through your album list, artist list and library. The top right button will toggle between what's playing and were you were in the library. To get back to having the top right button toggle between what's playing and your tracklist, you'll have to navigate to the tracklist (album), then hit the top right button for what's playing.

What's playing, if you tap on the album art, you'll get just the picture, then tap again to return. Swipe right and left on the album art to change tracks. Or you can go to the track list by using the top right button. Back to what's playing, if you swipe right or left on the volume control you'll go to either the EQ or tracklist (library) depending on which way you swipe. Then swipe back again to get back to what's playing.

Of course all your advanced settings are the gear wheel button on the top. Once you're in settings, to get back to what's playing you have to press the 'X' on the bottom.

Get familiar with moving around to the screen you want. Once you can go to what ever screen you want without getting lost, then you'll start to feel at home with Neutron Music Player.
    tinochiko likes this.
    12-23-14 08:34 PM
    I'm not trolling I'm just trying to get a feel for what people do about it if they've experienced it. I'm hoping someone out there knows how to get poweramp for android to work. It has been a godsend for every android I've ever owned. It just refuses to find music on the passport. I've also noticed that there's a bunch of android music players that do play music but their equalizers in app don't change anything.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 09:29 PM
    I'm not trolling I'm just trying to get a feel for what people do about it if they've experienced it. I'm hoping someone out there knows how to get poweramp for android to work. It has been a godsend for every android I've ever owned. It just refuses to find music on the passport. I've also noticed that there's a bunch of android music players that do play music but their equalizers in app don't change anything.

Posted via CB10
    The music has to be in device memory under android folder, or u have to navigate to the folder on the microsd card(not easy to find)

Posted via Q10
    12-23-14 10:13 PM
    In the passports HD the only place Poweramp reads music files is android>misc>notifications. It won't find anything on my SD card. Which is where all of my music is. So the app does work and the eq does work. The sound quality is a lot better than neutron but it's still not as good as I want it to be. I'm blaming the stock headphones for the rest of it. I'll check back when I get a different pair.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 11:53 AM
    In the passports HD the only place Poweramp reads music files is android>misc>notifications. It won't find anything on my SD card. Which is where all of my music is. So the app does work and the eq does work. The sound quality is a lot better than neutron but it's still not as good as I want it to be. I'm blaming the stock headphones for the rest of it. I'll check back when I get a different pair.

Posted via CB10
    Just got SE215 and quality hasn't improved. It's the implementation done by BlackBerry which isn't good...

Passport is my first BlackBerry. Music quality is disappointing.-img_20141224_232612.jpg

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-24-14 11:56 AM
    Just got SE215 and quality hasn't improved. It's the implementation done by BlackBerry which isn't good...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141224_232612.jpg 
Views:	1101 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	322852

Nice. I've had the SE315's for almost 3 years. They are best with an external DAC.
    12-24-14 12:37 PM
    Nice. I've had the SE315's for almost 3 years. They are best with an external DAC.
    Never tried external DAC or AMP but I am sure that's only way these will sound any good...

So this officially ends my quest to improve music quality on BlackBerry Passport...now I am just waiting for Camera Focus issue to get resolved.

If that doesn't happen then this is my last BlackBerry ever...too much $$ spent on passion of something stuck in imperfection loop....

jmr1015 likes this.
    12-24-14 12:51 PM
    Never tried external DAC or AMP but I am sure that's only way these will sound any good...

So this officially ends my quest to improve music quality on BlackBerry Passport...now I am just waiting for Camera Focus issue to get resolved.

If that doesn't happen then this is my last BlackBerry ever...too much $$ spent on passion of something stuck in imperfection loop....

Passion? On music? Lol if you're really that passionate on an a la audiophile-on-the-go listening experience, then you should get a hi-definition portable audio player, or an iPod connected to either just an amp or amp/DAC stack.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    mister2d likes this.
    12-24-14 02:27 PM
    It's not a software issue. The free headphones just suck so bad.

I'm surprised that someone is not happy about the sound quality of the Passport knowing it has a nice speaker. Then I read that it's about the free headphones so meh.

Buy a better headphones.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 08:49 PM
    It's not a software issue. The free headphones just suck so bad.

I'm surprised that someone is not happy about the sound quality of the Passport knowing it has a nice speaker. Then I read that it's about the free headphones so meh.

Buy a better headphones.

Posted via CB10
    Am I the only one who likes the bundled headphones(with z30 and Passport)? :P I thought they were great. I use it most of the time, if I cannot use my Skullcandy Crusher at certain situations.
    I love the bundled headphones that came with my z30 so much that I bought the latest version of it from ebaY after I sold off my z30 :P.

Posted via Q10
    12-24-14 09:04 PM
    It's not just the headphones though.

Poweramp works for a good 5 or 6 songs then it errors out and refuses to read any songs saying they aren't the right format. Shame really. The app really does help the sound quality on this phone. Even with the stock headphones. I'll try an older version and see if that works. I'm not really too happy about moving 11gb of music over from my SD card to my phones main memory.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 09:10 PM
    Passion? On music? Lol if you're really that passionate on an a la audiophile-on-the-go listening experience, then you should get a hi-definition portable audio player, or an iPod connected to either just an amp or amp/DAC stack.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    Besides missing the point of my post that BlackBerry Passport Music output quality isn't good and better quality IEMs aren't going to make big difference to it...these comments make sense actually...I have been thinking of getting a HIFI MAN 901 or something similar since sometime....this might be the moment which has nudged me closer to that decision...oh wait but then I will have to carry two devices Passport and HFM 901...Damn so again I must wait for a good music output phone...which obviously isn't going to be a BlackBerry......

12-24-14 09:25 PM
    Am I the only one who likes the bundled headphones(with z30 and Passport)? :P I thought they were great. I use it most of the time, if I cannot use my Skullcandy Crusher at certain situations.
    I love the bundled headphones that came with my z30 so much that I bought the latest version of it from ebaY after I sold off my z30 :P.

Posted via Q10
    Well actually I'm not disappointed on the stock headphones too. Maybe some people other than us just really can recognize those music notes better.

@op maybe you're playing a very compressed mp3 file? I remembered that I compressed a music file to less than 1mb and that music file sounded so bad. Really really bad.

Now I'm using FLAC (30mb) music file rather than MP3 (3mb).

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 09:25 PM
    Now I'm using FLAC (30mb) music file rather than MP3 (3mb).
    You don't have to use FLAC to achieve what they call transparency, esp. when you're listening using a non hi-def portable device and the stock earphones that came with it. Variable bitrate mp3 converted from the original lossless source using the latest LAME encoder with a bitrate of 190-245 kbps is usually "transparent" enough.
    12-24-14 09:46 PM
    I suggest as everybody says to try again with better sound performance, in my case my Beats+Passport+Spotify HD offline songs=excellent experience.

IMO we can't blame 100% poor sound quality to Passport, that's why headphones industry exists and songs with hi quality are sold in itunes, streaming, etc

With my Passport
    12-24-14 10:34 PM
126 12345 ...