Does anyone know if the Passport is coming out with different models for different networks or we are finally getting one model that can work on all frequencies?
    08-19-14 04:13 PM
    Last I heard, three models: two GSM (NA/EMEA) and one CDMA (Verizon). May have changed, though.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 04:19 PM
    Last I heard, three models: two GSM (NA/EMEA) and one CDMA (Verizon). May have changed, though.

Posted via CB10
    Hope that stays the case. This way we can buy a GSM model that works on AT&T's LTE straight from BlackBerry if they decide not to carry it, unlike the Z30...

Well, assuming the NA GSM model will have those bands. Could be another case of them making the hardware just for Canadian GSM carriers and Verizon.

Posted via BBCBZ10
    08-19-14 04:36 PM
    I'd like to publicly announce that I saw, in person, a passport at Toronto Union Station.

That is all

Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    serbanescu and LoneStarRed like this.
    08-20-14 02:04 PM
    The model that passed through the FCC did not have CDMA bands. Looks to me like we will get multiple models instead of one truly global model. I'm just hoping the Verizon model will also have GSM for world travel. It would be crazy not to have it. Every new Verizon BlackBerry for a while now, back to BB7, has been a world phone.
    Mr4aces and LoneStarRed like this.
    08-20-14 02:44 PM
    I'd like to publicly announce that I saw, in person, a passport at Toronto Union Station.

That is all

Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    What was your impression will you still get one ?

Posted from my flawless BlackBerry Z30
    08-20-14 02:56 PM
    I am hoping we get a sprint model, but at this point I am not "holding my breath"

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 06:58 PM
    I am hoping we get a sprint model, but at this point I am not "holding my breath"

Posted via CB10
    Sprint *used* to have a great relationship with BlackBerry - on par with Verizon, until Verizon got the exclusive on the BlackBerry Storm 9530. But now it seems almost no carrier makes BlackBerry a priority.
    08-20-14 07:09 PM
    What was your impression will you still get one ?

Posted from my flawless BlackBerry Z30
    It wasn't flashy or anything. I could see that being great with executives. If my employer gave me a choice, I would definitely want one over iphone or android. I'm using the Q10 and the screen is way too small. I don't see why regular consumers would want one. Having the exclusivity for work/managers would make the device more appealing in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:18 PM
    It wasn't flashy or anything. I could see that being great with executives. If my employer gave me a choice, I would definitely want one over iphone or android. I'm using the Q10 and the screen is way too small. I don't see why regular consumers would want one. Having the exclusivity for work/managers would make the device more appealing in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that for the most part everyday "consumers" won't be going for it. Then again as we all know its not a device that was designed with the everyday consumer in mind.
    08-20-14 07:30 PM
    Well, assuming the NA GSM model will have those bands. Could be another case of them making the hardware just for Canadian GSM carriers and Verizon.
    Aha, but you see, this time around, the Canadians are using LTE band 17 too. Rogers and Bell, at least. And that monster that went through the FCC has band 17.
    PapiPabs likes this.
    08-21-14 07:45 PM
    Aha, but you see, this time around, the Canadians are using LTE band 17 too. Rogers and Bell, at least. And that monster that went through the FCC has band 17.
    That is good news. I am guessing the US carriers (especially AT&T) will drag their feet, if they even offer it at all. Nice to know those of us that want the device will have other options this time around.
    08-21-14 08:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    If it works on Verizon (CDMA) it should work on Sprint also (CDMA).

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    08-21-14 09:28 PM
    If it works on Verizon (CDMA) it should work on Sprint also (CDMA).
    That's not how it works with CDMA. You need more than just matching bands.
    08-21-14 09:34 PM
    That's not how it works with CDMA. You need more than just matching bands.
    Ah I see. Ok then.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    08-21-14 09:38 PM
    You need an ESN in Verizon's or Sprint's database for them to allow it on their network. Because the non-4G portion of the phone doesn't use a SIM card, your account info is tagged to the phone's hard-coded internal ESN. With GSM your identity is on the SIM card. Swap it into any other phone and they still know it's you.
    08-22-14 12:04 PM
    It looks like it has all the Sprint bands, so if sprint wants to sell it, they should be able to get phones with Sprint ESN's. it has all the bands that the Q10 has, which sprint sells
    08-22-14 12:34 PM
    It looks like it has all the Sprint bands...it has all the bands that the Q10 has, which sprint sells
    This RGY181LW? No it doesn't. No CDMA bands for starters, and no LTE band 19 and whatever the other two Spark bands are.
    08-22-14 01:08 PM
    So if I have it right, no CDMA version has come through the FCC yet, so Verizon, at least right away , is off the table.

Please somebody prove me wrong !
    08-22-14 01:09 PM
    You need an ESN in Verizon's or Sprint's database for them to allow it on their network. Because the non-4G portion of the phone doesn't use a SIM card, your account info is tagged to the phone's hard-coded internal ESN. With GSM your identity is on the SIM card. Swap it into any other phone and they still know it's you.
    Let's say you force Verizon to allow on their network a LTE band 13 device that's not in their system, I think it's safe to assume you won't have access to their CDMA. But what about LTE band 4? Is that network closed off too to devices not in Verizon's system?
    08-22-14 01:11 PM
    This RGY181LW? No it doesn't. No CDMA bands for starters, and no LTE band 19 and whatever the other two Spark bands are.
    I was talking about the Spec sheet for the Passport. Based on the bands in the Q10 specs, the Passport will have HSPA+ bands 850.900.1900.2100 and LTE band 1900. All of which are present in Sprints model of the Q10. So unless Sprint has radically changed their network, they "should" be able to offer this phone at some point.
    08-22-14 02:15 PM
    I was talking about the Spec sheet for the Passport. Based on the bands in the Q10 specs, the Passport will have HSPA+ bands 850.900.1900.2100 and LTE band 1900. All of which are present in Sprints model of the Q10. So unless Sprint has radically changed their network, they "should" be able to offer this phone at some point.
    isn't HSPA+ a data connection ? Where is the CDMA voice band?
    08-22-14 03:01 PM
    That LTE 1900 is band 2, not 25 or whatever Sprint has deployed. I'll have to look it up to be sure, but 2 and 25 don't overlap.

Sprint does not use any HSPA+ bands. In the Q10, they're kind of wasted, really, because you can't even unlock the phone for use on any other networks.
    08-22-14 03:08 PM
    08-22-14 05:04 PM