The term "disruptive" might be a bit hyperbolic by its definition, but I guess you know how I mean this.

I too felt this to be the totally wrong direction, a traditional Bold formfactor / Q10 successor with just a taller screen being the right one. Important to note: Since the toolbelt was gone and the Q10 still had a small screen compared to the Z series, I had sworn off the QWERTY family and didnt plan on getting a Q, even not if they were making the screen taller. But just as I thought I'm done with QWERTY devices in favor of more screen real estate, the Passport came across.

So: why do we think it always has to be a familiar, traditional, existing design only improved? Why do it like before and/or like evreyone else in the marketplace, just trying to make it a somehow important bit better? Guys do you know how long BlackBerry took this exact route? Since the Bold 9000!

People then wanted a Bold in a Curve (8900) form factor BlackBerry presented the 9700.
    People just wanted it to get even more powerful BlackBerry presented the 9780.
    People now wanted a big touchscreen without missing out on the keyboard BlackBerry presented the 9800.
    People suddenly realized the Bold 9000 was actually the best BlackBerry they came ever to know, so screw baby Bolds and hybrid phones BlackBerry presented the Bold 9900.
    People felt BBOS became more and more dated, so BlackBerry please just take a Bold 9900 and make it feel more modern and top notch BlackBerry presented the Q10.

.now stop, just stop. Enough with all this incremental fan-serving, we need to go back to the drawing boards and innovate something disruptive. Just think of he following: on your search for the most perfect formfactor why always start with already existing products and go from there? Why not actually take your hand or pick up other familiar items of daily use and start at ZERO? From scratch?

As idiotic the Windermere dimensions seemed to be (going from existing familiar products), the better and more senseful they seem if you actually think about it. Take a passport, take in your hand and ask yourself every other competing product ignored wouldnt this, attached with a gorgeous high res screen and a keyboard be a perfect device for everything browsing, documents and everything else? Why is a passport 3,5 wide and 5 tall? Maybe because its the perfect size for a document or a small notebook for both reading and writing! So why not MAKE THIS A DIGITAL DEVICE?

Ive actually cut out a passports dimensions from a sheet of paper and scetched the 4,5 screen on it as well as the keyboard. This device is pure awesomeness. You get a wider screen than a Note 3 in an overall incredibly portable package because they dumped the 16:9 ratio and the device is even a little less tall than a Z10. Now combine all this with a capacitive keyboard you can use for navigation and scrolling always a giant screen, lots of good readable text per line, never the need to change from portrait to landscape and so on. Its just gorgeous for a tool you consider to be something like a daily driver.

So to draw a bottom line under this: why do so many of us think it is ugly? Just because you expect a smartphone to be more rectangular, since any phone for the last 7 years was built like that. Maybe all those phones were actually too narrow to make a really great device? Can you even imagine: Depending on what you do with those phones you have to constantly switch between landscape and portrait modes its terrible!

I think the Passport is a true beast and something disruptive that really stands out in a good way and I cant wait to lay my hands on it. Just my 2 Cents.
    neoberry99, koves, m1kr0 and 14 others like this.
    06-23-14 07:22 AM
    That was well thought out and presented, thankyou. I totally agree.

Rick Pringle, Z30 on CB.10
    06-23-14 07:44 AM
    I'm going out on a limb and will say it will sell less than the Q10 did. I don't see consumers going after this one unless they are a BBRY fanatic.

Yep might be disruptive and might be innovative but think it's really meant for a specific job. Hope I'm wrong.
    ShadowRaine likes this.
    06-23-14 07:51 AM
    I'm going out on a limb and will say it will sell less than the Q10 did. I don't see consumers going after this one unless they are a BBRY fanatic.

Yep might be disruptive and might be innovative but think it's really meant for a specific job. Hope I'm wrong.
    You may very well be right... It may end up surprising the hell out of most of us though. I was pretty turned off by the initial renders of the device. However, now I'm surprisingly stoked. I think many have the same view. If their technology can impress the tech field, they have a fighting chance. If the Amazon store can improve in the next few months, and crappy dead apps can be removed, traction is possible.
    Shadowyugi and kbz1960 like this.
    06-23-14 08:09 AM
    Very well thought out, and I agree with you for the most part.

I might be a little late, and might not have done enough research yet; but what about this phone other than the dimensions are disruptive/innovative. I've heard about the keyboard, but what else? Amazon just put out a 3D screen, Samsung is boasting about being water resistant (although they've done this for a while); I'm assuming there is more under the hood that we don't know about. Gimmicks might be gimmicks, but we honestly might need 1 or 2 to package with what seems on paper to be a great device.

Will there be a 'stylus' with this phone, the form factor seems ideal to have one?

Forgive me if I'm late to the party, just asking questions.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-23-14 08:26 AM
    So far so ugly. Let's see how Passport changes BlackBerry's current position.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    06-23-14 08:42 AM
    All I know, is that I'd love to try one out and then eventually get it
    06-23-14 08:47 AM
    Nice one Tommes, I totally agree. I was about to upgrade to a Z30, but the arrival of the Passport changed my mind. This thing is awesome.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    06-23-14 08:52 AM
    Very well thought out, and I agree with you for the most part.

I might be a little late, and might not have done enough research yet; but what about this phone other than the dimensions are disruptive/innovative. I've heard about the keyboard, but what else? Amazon just put out a 3D screen, Samsung is boasting about being water resistant (although they've done this for a while); I'm assuming there is more under the hood that we don't know about. Gimmicks might be gimmicks, but we honestly might need 1 or 2 to package with what seems on paper to be a great device.

Will there be a 'stylus' with this phone, the form factor seems ideal to have one?

Forgive me if I'm late to the party, just asking questions.
    I know it may sound stupid, but yes, that's it, for the most part. The point is that this really makes for a really differentiated product. It looks different, it works different and it has totally different (unique) benefits - and, most importantly, its dimensions as well as the special capacitive hybrid keyboard will make it superior over any competing product in certain use cases/disciplines. It's a combination of screen real estate and portability (and hopefully usability) that's unique.

And at least this is the first product from BlackBerry thats neither
    - just another BlackBerry (like the Classic) nor
    - a me-too device ripped off of the competition whose only unique feature is a bad app catalogue.
    ....this is the way outsiders see BlackBerry products if you ask me.

It's a new category in some way. Now the question is whether it's viable or not.
    06-23-14 09:27 AM
    I agree with everything you said I'm ready for the passport

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    06-23-14 11:11 AM

I used to feel the same until I saw one up close and real. Very classy and substantial is how I describe it. Similar impression people had when the 9900 came out. It has that kind of vibe...this isn't "just a phone."

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 11:17 AM
    You hit the nail on the head. Samsung's Note and Note Tablets, as well as the Surface Pro series are all marketed as business devices, and all have embraced the Stylus idea. Seems like a forgone conclusion that the Passport SHOULD have one.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 and H_O_Boomaye like this.
    06-23-14 11:34 AM
    I'm not a keyboard fan but I have to say the Passport has peaked my interest. I know the classic is for the BB diehards that still have not come to BB10. The Passport it is being stated is for the heathcare industry. I'm in electronics and I read plenty of emails with attachments on my Z10 which I love but I'm waiting to see the specs on the Passport & give it a test run. Rocking 24-7 with my Z10 & 64GB PlayBook
    06-23-14 11:53 AM
    can not agree more with you! great stuff!!!
    06-23-14 12:20 PM

...and "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. Bear in mind that many people have also said they like the design, too. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

I think it's great that BlackBerry is introducing such a polarizing device. I used a Q10 and people just thought it was another old-school BlackBerry. I've used a Z10 and Z30 and had people just assume it's a Samsung or an iPhone. The Passport, for better or worse, doesn't look like ANYTHING out there now. It will stimulate conversation.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    06-23-14 12:27 PM
    ...and "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. Bear in mind that many people have also said they like the design, too. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

I think it's great that BlackBerry is introducing such a polarizing device. I used a Q10 and people just thought it was another old-school BlackBerry. I've used a Z10 and Z30 and had people just assume it's a Samsung or an iPhone. The Passport, for better or worse, doesn't look like ANYTHING out there now. It will stimulate conversation.
    Except for that one person that will say the Passport " looks like an iPhone" lol!

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    koves likes this.
    06-23-14 12:34 PM
    This will be the device that will bring in new members to bb ecosystem. The Classic will not be in the position to do that.
    06-23-14 12:37 PM
    This will be the device that will bring in new members to bb ecosystem. The Classic will not be in the position to do that.
    What makes you think that? It isn't for consumers and consumers that don't hang out on CB may never ever see it and even if they did they won't want one.
    06-23-14 12:44 PM
    What makes you think that? It isn't for consumers and consumers that don't hang out on CB may never ever see it and even if they did they won't want one.
    I dunno... The Classic is just that...old blackberry updated with bigger screen, tool belt, and a few other things. If you're not into BB the classic will not change your mind. The passport on the other hand will definitely bring in new customers on the strength alone that its unique in many nice ways. I think the carriers will have it in stock because they're in the business of making money and this will do that for them. 4.5 screen with capacitive keyboard...Preloaded with Amazon Store what more can anyone ask for?
    06-23-14 12:54 PM
    I dunno... The Classic is just that...old blackberry updated with bigger screen, tool belt, and a few other things. If you're not into BB the classic will not change your mind. The passport on the other hand will definitely bring in new customers on the strength alone that its unique in many nice ways. I think the carriers will have it in stock because they're in the business of making money and this will do that for them. 4.5 screen with capacitive keyboard...Preloaded with Amazon Store what more can anyone ask for?
    A lot lol. The Microsoft Kin was different, the whatever phone with a face book button was different. Many phones that ere different. Most did not sell well.
    21stNow likes this.
    06-23-14 12:57 PM
    See, the great thing is that BB can play it safe by saying they're mostly pursuing the "enterprise" market. If there isn't a lot of consumer demand, they can say they weren't expecting any.

But what if the Passport actually attracts people? Say Paris Hilton is seen using it at a restaurant and THE ENTIRE PLANET goes "what the hell was she talking to Nicole Ritchie on?! The new BlackBerry? Really? I thought they were dead... that thing looks really weird... but it does what? Really? That sounds interesting..."

That could actually evoke a little consumer curiosity. If the spec of the phone is decent (and the battery alone may be enough to attract some users), there's some chance of liftoff.
    06-23-14 01:03 PM
    See, the great thing is that BB can play it safe by saying they're mostly pursuing the "enterprise" market. If there isn't a lot of consumer demand, they can say they weren't expecting any.

But what if the Passport actually attracts people? Say Paris Hilton is seen using it at a restaurant and THE ENTIRE PLANET goes "what the hell was she talking to Nicole Ritchie on?! The new BlackBerry? Really? I thought they were dead... that thing looks really weird... but it does what? Really? That sounds interesting..."

That could actually evoke a little consumer curiosity. If the spec of the phone is decent (and the battery alone may be enough to attract some users), there's some chance of liftoff.
    I'll give you a, could happen.
    06-23-14 01:07 PM
    It is an interesting idea.
    06-23-14 01:37 PM
    Isn't the Passport the product that BB said it wouldn't proceed with unless a certain partner in the medical field signed onto to an agreement of some sort? I understood that the release of this phone was predicated on there being some level of substantiated demand prior to BB even proceeding with it at all. I could be wrong but I thought Passport was designed with a very specific market segment in mind for whatever application - and that if regular Joes and Janes want to carry one too so much the better.
    06-23-14 01:49 PM