I had a huge difficulty to find a nice car mount for the BlackBerry Passport. I finally managed to get one I like which is Logitech + trip magnet, however I need to stick a magnet on the phone. This covers the BlackBerry logo. Would be great if the next passport had a 'magnet' at the back or that BlackBerry made a Logitech deal and it came in the box.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 06:18 AM
    (Incorrect advice removed by OP)
    Last edited by mawil1013; 06-06-15 at 11:16 AM.
    06-06-15 09:24 AM
    sorry but that is pure misonformation mawil1013; I don't care how many posts you have.

the truth is here:

"For venerable floppies, this statement holds true. We placed a 99-cent magnet on a 3.5-inch floppy for a few seconds. The magnet stuck to the disk and ruined its data.

Fortunately, most modern storage devices, such as SD and CompactFlash memory cards, are immune to magnetic fields. "There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

The same goes for hard drives. The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media. "In the real world, people are not losing data from magnets," says Bill Rudock, a tech-support engineer with hard-drive maker Seagate. "In every disk," notes Rudock, "there's one heck of a magnet that swings the head.""

Busting the Biggest PC Myths | TechHive
    06-06-15 09:34 AM
    Yes...I second the person above me.

Magnets are very safe around modern devices. Flash memory isn't affected, LCD screens are not affected either.

I personally own a car mount that's magnetic...I place a thin magnet behind my phone in the case and the other magnet is mounted on my AC grill. Makes one hell of a navi system. No problems whatsoever. Not on my BlackBerry and not on my iPhone 6 plus

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 09:51 AM
    We have been using magnets to hold on mounts that charge phones since the palm pre days.

Posted from a Passport or Z30. Get one!
    06-06-15 10:00 AM
    I had no problems just putting the piece of steel plate between the phone and case on the inside, the magnet on the mount was good enough to hold the steel plate which held the phone
    06-06-15 10:42 AM
    sorry but that is pure misonformation mawil1013; I don't care how many posts you have.

the truth is here:

"For venerable floppies, this statement holds true. We placed a 99-cent magnet on a 3.5-inch floppy for a few seconds. The magnet stuck to the disk and ruined its data.

Fortunately, most modern storage devices, such as SD and CompactFlash memory cards, are immune to magnetic fields. "There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

The same goes for hard drives. The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media. "In the real world, people are not losing data from magnets," says Bill Rudock, a tech-support engineer with hard-drive maker Seagate. "In every disk," notes Rudock, "there's one heck of a magnet that swings the head.""

Busting the Biggest PC Myths | TechHive
    By Golly, I stand corrected, I was wrong!
    06-06-15 11:15 AM
    OK guys.....magnet car mounts do have an effect on the Passport (my experience today).

I put one magnet right in the center behind my phone in a case and the other is mounted on my grill in the car.

When mounted, the phone started acting crazy. Freezing, assistant starting rambling on by herself (stuttering!). I quickly removed the magnet and the phone stabilized.

In short, please be careful...the Passport is susceptible. My iPhone 6 doesn't have this issue.

Posted via my badass Passport
    06-09-15 03:48 PM
    There are magnets inside phones already anyway, the speakers. You do know that Blackberries utilize magnets in cases to put it into standby mode.
    06-09-15 06:53 PM
    I use the magnetic mount in question and it works great. I put the magnet on the outside of my plastic shell case.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 08:12 PM
    I use magnetic holder in my car and passport attaches to it without any plates or stickers. I only use metal plate when the passport is in the case to make the magnet stronger.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 07:05 AM
    06-10-15 07:10 AM