02-09-15 08:29 PM
138 ... 456
tools
    Searching by subject line does not accomplish the same thing.
    I've written it before: Most subjects don't contain much info, but are standard phrases such as "contract signed" or "re. your proposal". First of all, I wouldn't even know what to search for respectively would get way too many hits.
    If they are grouped by conversation (Display Style "Conversation" instead of "Single Messages" in the hub settings) it usually is way more convenient. Especially if you really have to jump back and forth ("who wrote what and when in response to what?") between 5 or 10 emails on a small display.

For my specific Exchange account, grouping by conversation or single message doesn't make any difference.
    They all are sorted chronologically, no conversations at all.
    It's working for my other accounts, so the display style definitely is set correctly.
    Yes, it most likely is something about the account itself. But I've tried 3 other platforms with exactly the same settings: iPhone 4S, Lumia 920 and Surface Pro 3 (Windows 8 app, not Outlook) and all show the conversation.
    Yes, my colleagues from IT probably could sort it out. But why touch a business configuration, that's working on hundreds of mobile phones for me and my colleagues, but not on my (else beloved) Passport?
    So that's grouping? I use it with my Windows Live Hotmail account on the Passport and it works flawless. Up until now I was pretty certain that it hasn't anything to do with the server side, but instead happens just on the phone. The individual emails don't get sorted into folders on the server, but get just displayed as grouped conversations inside the BlackBerry HUB. So what happens if you enable the option on the Passport via

HUB > drei Punkte > Einstellungen > Anzeige und Aktionen > Anzeigestil Gesprch?

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 06:19 AM
    So that's grouping? I use it with my Windows Live Hotmail account on the Passport and it works flawless. Up until now I was pretty certain that it hasn't anything to do with the server side, but instead happens just on the phone. The individual emails don't get sorted into folders on the server, but get just displayed as grouped conversations inside the BlackBerry HUB. So what happens if you enable the option on the Passport via

HUB > drei Punkte > Einstellungen > Anzeige und Aktionen > Anzeigestil Gesprch?

Posted via CB10
    That's exactly the setting.
    And that's what I'm using.
    I know, I'm set correctly, since it's working on my 3 other accounts on Passport.
    I know, the server can handle it, since it's working on 3 other tested systems and 60 to 80 phones of my colleagues.

I don't know, whether conversations are prepared on the server side or later on are generated in the hub.
    All I can tell: At least for some conversations, Passport has the link.
    I find colored icons for some emails I have replied to or forwarded. So Passport knows, they belong to the same conversation. If I go into the respective email, the colored icon has a text like "you replied to this email on xxxx".
    But they simply aren't grouped together.
    Strange enough: When replying or forwarding, for a few seconds Passport groups those two emails (the symbol changes then to a folder with kind of overlapping corners). But after having sent the email, they get separated again.

Of course I've deleted the account quite a few times.
    Of course I've compared settings to my other systems.
    I've changed the display style from conversation to single message back and forth.
    I've changed the display order from "Name, Subject" to "Subject, Name".
    All to no avail.
    There is no grouping at all, all emails remain sorted in a single trail chronologically.

For my working style, conversations are perfect and essential.
    I could manually or semi-automatically sort into folders myself. But that's a huge inconvenience and I don't want to change my (proven successful) working style because of a single platform. Would it not be working at all, I'd be forced to change my way of working. But I clearly can isolate the problem solely to Passport.
    02-09-15 06:35 AM
    My goodness OP! How much spare time do you have to be responding so much? Use a tablet or laptop or desk top to supplement the "perceived" shortcomings of your Passport. What's all the stressing?
    Last edited by wincyUt; 02-09-15 at 10:08 AM.
    02-09-15 09:31 AM
    My goodness OP! How much spare time do you have to be responding so much? Use a tablet or laptop or desk top to supplement the "perceived" shortcomings of your Passport. What's all the stressing?
    It's not perceived, it's a standard feature.
    In BB10 hub, but in all other mail clients as well.

I've got sheer endless time, that's my life goal.
    I aim (and 90% of the time succeed) for working 10 to 20 hours per week tops.
    I don't want to waste time and adding to my work time by doing manual search and such.
    I'm sending my emails while combining business trips and brief vacations ("4 hour work week"). I has to be quick, I want to focus on the vacations (normally about 12 weeks per year).

I have 44 tablets and I'm switching back and forth between them.
    Passport would be great, with the exception of this single shortcoming.
    (There are other minor issues, like orphaned PC in the file manager, but I can live with those).
    I'm simply frustrated, because even the dumbest of phones, iPhone, can do it.
    And Passport is supposed to do it as well.
    Clever comment had been "it's the Exchange server, change that".
    Yeah, right! It's (conversations, that is) working on my 3 other dumbphones. It's working on 2 tested tablets.
    It's working on 60 to 80 standard phones of my colleagues.
    But it has to be the Exchange Server, it never can be Passport.

But you're right.
    I'm gone.
    I'm baffled about the responses.
    If you're all so experienced and BB10 is so advanced: Why didn't anyone have an explanation?
    Again:
    Standard feature on BB10.
    Working on more than 60 different phones.
    Passport being the sole exception. For a feature even the clever commentators admitted should be working on Passport.
    But of course it's easier to state "your problem is not a problem". Or "it doesn't matter that it's working on dozens of other phones. It still has to be the Exchange Server". It probably really is the Exchange Server, but obviously the other systems accept it anyway. What's more user friendly?

Bye!
    02-09-15 10:51 AM
    Adding in:
    No SMIME support outside of BES
    Contact book sync is a mess and doesn't always work
    Email client doesn't always provide 'load external details' option for HTML
    Email formatting issues with HTML. No issues on Android Gmail or iPhone

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 04:24 PM
    Lol! Wow I'm surprised that this thread is goings-on. I would have thought that the OP would have given up by now!

Posted via CB10
    hpjrt likes this.
    02-09-15 04:28 PM
    on topic: I also note I cannot request a delivery & read receipt for outgoing emails...
    02-09-15 04:32 PM
    If you go into the 'Contacts' app and go to 'Activity' you can see any communication, inducing detailed calls iif you fancy that.

Posted via CB10
    Umm. No you can't get that info from the address book. It only shows the date a call was placed. Not the time it was placed or the duration of the call.

Now most importantly that doesn't respond to my issue. That only works for people in your contact list. It doesn't work for numbers that aren't a contact! Not acceptable.

A call log is what is needed. I should be able to get the info directly from the phone app. I shouldn't have to go running around looking for it. I shouldn't be required to add the person to my address (which doesn't matter since it doesn't show the relevant information anyway).

This is basic stuff and the fact that BlackBerry hasn't fixed that since the launch of BB10 shows a lack of caring about their users.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    ATMJOE likes this.
    02-09-15 05:17 PM
    It's not perceived, it's a standard feature.
    In BB10 hub, but in all other mail clients as well.

I've got sheer endless time, that's my life goal.
    I aim (and 90% of the time succeed) for working 10 to 20 hours per week tops.
    I don't want to waste time and adding to my work time by doing manual search and such.
    I'm sending my emails while combining business trips and brief vacations ("4 hour work week"). I has to be quick, I want to focus on the vacations (normally about 12 weeks per year).

I have 44 tablets and I'm switching back and forth between them.
    Passport would be great, with the exception of this single shortcoming.
    (There are other minor issues, like orphaned PC in the file manager, but I can live with those).
    I'm simply frustrated, because even the dumbest of phones, iPhone, can do it.
    And Passport is supposed to do it as well.
    Clever comment had been "it's the Exchange server, change that".
    Yeah, right! It's (conversations, that is) working on my 3 other dumbphones. It's working on 2 tested tablets.
    It's working on 60 to 80 standard phones of my colleagues.
    But it has to be the Exchange Server, it never can be Passport.

But you're right.
    I'm gone.
    I'm baffled about the responses.
    If you're all so experienced and BB10 is so advanced: Why didn't anyone have an explanation?
    Again:
    Standard feature on BB10.
    Working on more than 60 different phones.
    Passport being the sole exception. For a feature even the clever commentators admitted should be working on Passport.
    But of course it's easier to state "your problem is not a problem". Or "it doesn't matter that it's working on dozens of other phones. It still has to be the Exchange Server". It probably really is the Exchange Server, but obviously the other systems accept it anyway. What's more user friendly?

Bye!

Clearly if it works on other OS's across different devices then it has to be a bug on the Passport. IMO for the most part you won't get an unbiased answer on Crackberry, it will always be some variation of
    change the way you work to bypass the device/OS shortcomings. This happened a little while ago in another thread when people were telling someone to use their bank's mobile website or setup email notifications to get around the fact that there wasn't a BB mobile banking app, and she didn't want to load the Android app. People started questioning why she didn't want to load the Android app or use the workarounds given. If I remember correctly she had an Android, iPhone and WP in addition to her BB, and she used one of the other devices as her daily driver. Like in that thread the questioning of why you don't use one of the suggestions is similar to asking why someone likes one flavour of ice cream over another. You shouldn't have to explain your preference or switch from the flavour you like to another.
    02-09-15 05:26 PM
    I have had a lot of BlackBerry's dating back to the Pearl. BlackBerry 10 is so easy to use and such a no BS operating system that I'm more than happy to adapt to BlackBerry 10 and forget about anything before it because it is the best. Instead of figuring out things I don't like, I just kill it instead. I like to focus on what it is doing for me, it does nothing against me, that's for sure. It's like me and my BlackBerry or just me... get it? Regardless of what it does or doesn't do, it augments you, me, us, them...
    02-09-15 06:05 PM
    Thread still going, eh? I thought it was wrapped up after the great Moses tablet joke.

Carry on...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    nyallj, wincyUt and hpjrt like this.
    02-09-15 06:51 PM
    Closed for review.
    02-09-15 07:50 PM
    Upon review and cleanup, it looks like there will be no progress made here. The thread will remain closed.
    southlander, nyallj, hpjrt and 1 others like this.
    02-09-15 08:29 PM
138 ... 456