Passport is the best device for business on the market!
    I wouldn't trade it for iOS or even worse for Android.
    Maybe Windows 10 in a year might be worth checking out.
    But for now, my question is not about an alternative smartphone. My question is, whether I can solve my problems and use Passport as my sole unit on brief trips or whether I still have to take one of my Windows 8 tablets with me and use Outlook.
    Right now, I'm simply frustrated because I have an endless line of emails without any conversations, whereas my older smartphone still all can do it...
    02-08-15 06:45 PM
    02-08-15 06:57 PM
    I have a photo associated with my various email accounts and they are different. It's a function of how I set up my contact information associated with each account. You can do it very easily. As to contacts I can access my iCloud contacts and my work contacts from my work email. I just don't get what exactly your having trouble with. I get the font thing but as the thread above there is a work around. The HUB integrates lots of things for ease of reference on email and it seems to be an excellent feature.

Posted via CB10
    My main problems in the hub for emails:
    a.) I can't group by conversations, which has been my working style for years.
    It probably is the Exchange server, Passport might stumble over some deviation from the Exchange specifications. But, as I've tested yesterday again: My old Lumia 920 and iPhone 4S, both never been my business phones but mere gadgets, both still can process the conversations exactly as intended. And before you ask: Of course I've set conversation mode correctly and it's working for my other accounts on Passport.
    Yes, the statement "it's probably not Passport's fault but your server" most likely is correct. But that's not solving my problem. I guess, we have about 80 smartphones in our small start-up. I'm the only one with BlackBerry and my Passport is the only one with that problem...
    b.) One of my main painpoints about iPhone always had been the email signatures. Even simple tasks like hyperlinks or a company logo had been a pain. My fault, but I simply had expected BB10 to be far ahead here.
    Yes, most stated "why a logo?" Or "every client should understand, emails from mobile devices will be different and a bit more simplified". But that's not solving my problem. Our email signature -good and professional or not- does have logos for the legal entities. (Nice recognition effect: The business card looks exactly the same as the signature, so does the letterhead and so on). And I can't use the same signature as in Outlook, without jumping through hoops. With hoops, I could do so on iPhone as well.
    c.) Personally, I find it horrible, if within a single conversation, emails look differently because they have been sent by different devices. It's bad enough from Mac to Windows/Outlook and vice versa. But it's way "worse" from, let's say, iPhone to Outlook. I had expected, Passport would offer way more here. I'm really surprised, that you can't set the font type. Yes, my expectations obviously had been to high. But basically, from a layout perspective, I don't see any advantage to, let's say, iPhone. And again: I don't mention iPhone as some kind of benchmark. I wanted to get rid of it, because I'm not satisfied with the output.
    I don't have a statistic, but my gut feeling says, about 75% of my clients have CI in place for emails. Why not stick to it on emails? I've just checked a few emails from clients: Yes, most have a simplified signature. And for most you see, whether it came from am mobile device or Outlook. But why accept this limitation?
    02-08-15 07:05 PM
    I don't quite get the reaction of maybe 75% of you.
    You keep telling me, my problems are not relevant or minimal or I'm expecting too much.
    First of all, I'm not expecting too much, when my problems with the Exchange server only occur on Passport, but not so on Lumia 920, iPhone 4s and Surface Pro 3 Windows 8 apps (plus a few hundred phones of my colleagues). At least 2 of the latter 3 (in my opinion) being "dumb" consumer products, not business tools.
    Second of all, my problems may seem minimal to you, but they don't do for me. You keep bashing me, for having stated my personal opinion = Passport less than satisfying. But in the very same sentence you take your own personal opinion and declare my problems minimal and Passport being benchmark.

Again:
    My main task on Passport is writing emails, but even more so reading through email trails before sending my response.
    If I don't have the email trail grouped by conversation, it's painfully inconvenient on a small screen.
    This grouping not working, probably is a flaw in our Exchange configuration. But when hundreds of smartphones can handle it, why should we touch it for a single Passport? I'd expect/hope Passport being at least as flexible as iOS or Windows mobile, to process an Exchange configuration, even if it's not 100% by the books.

And I naively would have hoped for some tips, but less than 5% (maybe 5 out of 100 responses) had been helpful.
    Some keep naming me a troll. But what else than trolling are 80% of the responses?
    Exchange was actually designed by Rim formally Blackberry for Microsoft so I think you need to understand where Blackberry is in the email mobile communications world. So exchange is a Blackberry original software!

It seems either non of us understand your issue or you seem to not understand those trying to give advice or maybe you are just having some twisted fun on here. All the same if other smart phones other than the Blackberry "powerhouse" and iPhone 4s are not up to scratch then you solution is simple. Go purchase one of those other phones and your fixed!

Also I hardly think the Passport screen is small unless your meaning the 4s? The thing is Blackberry is designed to also handle enterprise solutions which are not small or self employed business applications as well.

Further sounds like your a recruitment and contracting business if so then would you just not be using parse software in the first place that will group everything?

Just a thought!

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 07:08 PM
    Ah, so you ARE describing "conversation" view, and not something called "grouping". This works perfectly in BB10. You can change the title of the thread now.

For some reason, you're having problems with it and then creating and entire "BB10 doesn't work for business thread". Nice....
    Not I am having problems with it, but Passport.
    Again: Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone 4S and Surface Pro 3 in the standard Windows 8 app can handle it.
    Passport is the sole exception. With the very same settings!
    And I still dare say: Even if I'm in a tiny minority: If the proclaimed powerhouse for emails can't manage my Exchange account, whereas 2 dumb consumer phones and a niche product can do, I find this highly disappointing and still am baffled.

And I never said "BB10 doesn't work for business". I wrote "less than satisfying". And this certainly is the truth.
    Just look at the few helpful responses:
    a.) It must be the server, change it.
    Why, if my 2 dumb phones can work with it and the other about 80 phones in the company as well?
    Obviously, Passport is too nitpicky about something, which others simply swallow up.
    b.) Use some batches and filters and tools. So basically, with some provisions, I can get my email powerhouse to the same level as my 2 dumb consumer products? When using 3rd party tools, I could solve my problems on iPhone as well. For example logos in signatures and such. I don't want to fumble around. I want a standard feature -and an essential one- to work out of the box under any circumstances. And if the other OSs can handle it, those "circumstances" hardly can be that complicated or exotic.

BTW: I've just checked the BB help file. BlackBerry themselves calls it "grouped by"...
    02-08-15 07:20 PM
    Not I am having problems with it, but Passport.
    Again: Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone 4S and Surface Pro 3 in the standard Windows 8 app can handle it.
    Passport is the sole exception. With the very same settings!
    And I still dare say: Even if I'm in a tiny minority: If the proclaimed powerhouse for emails can't manage my Exchange account, whereas 2 dumb consumer phones and a niche product can do, I find this highly disappointing and still am baffled.

And I never said "BB10 doesn't work for business". I wrote "less than satisfying". And this certainly is the truth.
    Just look at the few helpful responses:
    a.) It must be the server, change it.
    Why, if my 2 dumb phones can work with it and the other about 80 phones in the company as well?
    Obviously, Passport is too nitpicky about something, which others simply swallow up.
    b.) Use some batches and filters and tools. So basically, with some provisions, I can get my email powerhouse to the same level as my 2 dumb consumer products? When using 3rd party tools, I could solve my problems on iPhone as well. For example logos in signatures and such. I don't want to fumble around. I want a standard feature -and an essential one- to work out of the box under any circumstances. And if the other OSs can handle it, those "circumstances" hardly can be that complicated or exotic.

BTW: I've just checked the BB help file. BlackBerry themselves calls it "grouped by"...
    So are you looking to solve your issue or are you trying to make a point. If you want to solve the problem follow the advice given in this thread and talk to your IT. If not then we get it. You don't like the passport for your business needs. I'm typing this on a nexus 6 and I have to say at this point you are sounding more and more like someone looking for an argument and not for a solution.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    nyallj likes this.
    02-08-15 07:31 PM
    Guys he is just repeating himself and I just think this is a wind up.

Think I'm going to have a play on my Lumia 1520 and my Surface Pro 3 and then compare it to my Galaxy Note Edge ( and yes I own them)

and finally...

come back to the best go to mobile device AKA my Blackberry or Passport in my case :-) because it doesn't just work it does...

Gotta love the BBY community for knowing there stuff and coolness.

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    02-08-15 07:31 PM
    Searching by subject line IS THE SAME THING as conversation view. How do you think it knows how to decide which emails were part of the same conversion? By subject line. If you do a search (just like it's doing when in conversation view) you'd get a list of emails all with the same subject line, and then could jump down through them if you'd like. BUT, I'm perplexed at this request, since most people in business quote the previous email below. You could find the most recent conversation, then simply read back through the correspondence below.
    Searching by subject does not work respectively it's highly inefficient.
    Example:

A client sent me an email "re. proposal".
    If I now search for the subject line "re. proposal", of the 10 first emails it finds, only 2 are relevant. The others are from another client.
    But in hub you only see your name as the sender and the topic. I have to click through every single mail to check, who actually did receive it.
    In conversation mode, I'd always sort by "Name, Subject" and not "Subject, Name" because of exactly that.
    Just for the fun of it, I've tried "Subject, Name", but it doesn't change a thing. Doesn't group as well.

When I scroll through my emails, some have a purple icon (= I replied to this message) or a blue one (= I forwarded this message). I see the date I responded, so the link between the mails in the conversation is still there. They're just not grouped together, but you have to scroll to the date and then check for an email via the timestamp. Simply inconvenient and 2 unnecessary steps.
    southlander likes this.
    02-08-15 07:42 PM
    Searching by subject does not work respectively it's highly inefficient.
    Example:

A client sent me an email "re. proposal".
    If I now search for the subject line "re. proposal", of the 10 first emails it finds, only 2 are relevant. The others are from another client.
    But in hub you only see your name as the sender and the topic. I have to click through every single mail to check, who actually did receive it.
    In conversation mode, I'd always sort by "Name, Subject" and not "Subject, Name" because of exactly that.
    Just for the fun of it, I've tried "Subject, Name", but it doesn't change a thing. Doesn't group as well.

When I scroll through my emails, some have a purple icon (= I replied to this message) or a blue one (= I forwarded this message). I see the date I responded, so the link between the mails in the conversation is still there. They're just not grouped together, but you have to scroll to the date and then check for an email via the timestamp. Simply inconvenient and 2 unnecessary steps.
    Are you purposely ignoring the two links above I posted?
    02-08-15 07:44 PM
    But......MORE SPECIFICALLY....you are having problems with CONVERSATION VIEW.....not "groupings" or some other function name that doesn't exist, which added to the confusion here.

Not sure where you've found this. The actual function on the phones menu is called conversation view. Of course you'd know this since you've hit this button so many times....yet never used that phrase when describing it here. Odd.
    I wrote "In one of my Exchange accounts, grouping by conversation doesn't work."
    Confusing?
    02-08-15 07:47 PM
    Are you purposely ignoring the two links above I posted?

Done all that. And more.
    Like I wrote before:
    Conversations work on the other 3 accounts on my Passport.
    It definitely is configured correctly.
    And, as described in the reply before: I see purple and blue icons for having responded to emails or forwarded them. So the link within the conversation does exist. For whatever reason, they simply are not grouped together.
    And, as it's working in my 3 other accounts on Passport, I know what it should look like. Simply not happening on that account.
    BTW: Response from my IT guy (we're a start-up of only 150 people for now) was "glad, so many features on your BB are working, although we don't support it". From the feedback, I'm the only BB user. Yes, our/my fault. But why can it link to the forwarded or responded email, but doesn't group?
    02-08-15 07:53 PM
    Then do a search by subject line. Subject lines define the conversation.
    Name and then subject is defining the conversation.
    And that's how one would set it up in the hub.

Only searching for the name or only the subject wouldn't lead to the conversation, but a lot of additional mails.
    02-08-15 07:55 PM
    Done all that. And more.
    Like I wrote before:
    Conversations work on the other 3 accounts on my Passport.
    It definitely is configured correctly.
    And, as described in the reply before: I see purple and blue icons for having responded to emails or forwarded them. So the link within the conversation does exist. For whatever reason, they simply are not grouped together.
    And, as it's working in my 3 other accounts on Passport, I know what it should look like. Simply not happening on that account.
    BTW: Response from my IT guy (we're a start-up of only 150 people for now) was "glad, so many features on your BB are working, although we don't support it". From the feedback, I'm the only BB user. Yes, our/my fault. But why can it link to the forwarded or responded email, but doesn't group?
    You just answered your question in your own post. Conversation groups properly in other accounts on the same device. Doesn't on this particular account. And your IT guy told you to take a hike.
    You need better IT support.
    You need to stop saying the Passport is inadequate.
    You need to stop comparing it unnecessarily to other phones.
    And you need to realise this problem is not the phone's limitation.
    02-08-15 07:57 PM
    Yes, you've said this over and over and over and over. WE GET IT. Something is happening between YOUR PASSPORT and YOUR EXCHANGE SERVER. I'll bet if you synced that passport with another email account it just might work with conversation view. If it didn't, I'd reboot or try some other resets. Beyond that....get a new phone because it's broke.
    I already wrote at the beginning of the thread: My 3 other mail accounts on Passport flawlessly group by conversation.
    That's how I know the settings definitely are correct, since they apply for all accounts.
    So, like I wrote before: It's either Passport/BB10 or the Exchange server. But since (yes, I know, the other phones don't matter) my 3 other phones can handle that Exchange Server just fine, it is Passport.
    And of course I've tried all the usual measures: Some leaks, all kinds of settings - all to no avail.
    Wouldn't you find this deeply frustrating as well?
    02-08-15 08:05 PM
    You just answered your question in your own post. Conversation groups properly in other accounts on the same device. Doesn't on this particular account. And your IT guy told you to take a hike.
    --> I probably would get it, but honestly I'd feel a bit ashamed to ask for support for 1 out of 60 or 80 phones that in total are working fine.

--> If 1 out of my 4 tests fails and in total it's 1 out of 60 or 80, inadequate might be too harsh and is in the eye of the beholder. But it's certainly bothersome. And I didn't say/write "inadequate", I wrote "less than satisfying".

--> Everything is relative. When a feature, that I had been using before, suddenly disappeared, of course I did check my other phones. I'm pretty sure, you would have done the same. It's not unnecessary, its's simply circling in onto the source.

--> Since my unnecessary comparison to the other phones proves, that it's exclusively on my Passport, it is a limitation. May not harm 99,9% of the users and probably is solvable with some modifications exclusively for my Passport. But, from my perspective, I certainly have been hit by an annoying limitation and/or exception.
    02-08-15 08:17 PM
    they should have come out with minor updates/patches piecemeal ...this way, the waning honeymoon feeling is chopped short instead of renewing the thrill each patch posted... not good...
    02-08-15 09:07 PM
    they should have come out with minor updates/patches piecemeal ...this way, the waning honeymoon feeling is chopped short instead of renewing the thrill each patch posted... not good...
    What's the relevance of this to the topic? Which other platform does as you say?

Posted from my S5 Piece of sh...Passport on Valentine's Day!!!!
    02-08-15 09:20 PM
    Isn't sort by subject conversation view for that subject? If you keep replying to the same original email don't you maintain the thread of the conversation? I do. Do you want to be able to follow the thread or any thread from a particular person? Can't you just sort for that person? At this point I don't know what you are unable to do. If you segregate by accounts like I suggested you will have a clear delination of your entities and work and you can do all of the above....man, short of some kind of combinatory analysis, I don't think you can do much more on one device.
    02-08-15 09:22 PM
    Sorry to hear about the phone not meeting your needs and expectations, but a minor question about some of the points. What phones on the market today can you change email font and add an image to your signature?

BTW, as a general rule, isn't adding an image to your signature considered very tacky from a business point of view as all of your emails get identified as having an attachment, making organizing data and quick access to legitimate emails with attachments more difficult? I know that is strictly against our corporate policy and drives me bonkers when our external clients/consultants do it.

Anyway, the only significant(ish) player on the market that I don't have a decent amount of experience with is Windows phone, so curious to what phone will serve you better or if it's simply a matter of no phone meeting your needs and having to, as you state below, rely on other platforms for the functionality you need in a day to day setting?

Cheers,

-Dirk
    hpjrt likes this.
    02-08-15 09:28 PM
    WebOS as feature rich...a great loss !!
    02-08-15 09:33 PM
    sent via PM
    Last edited by deiop; 02-09-15 at 03:07 AM.
    02-09-15 12:04 AM
    Lieber herr Deiop,

That was really helpful. Next time just use PM?

Castle Wolfenstein out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    deiop likes this.
    02-09-15 02:12 AM
    This situation is a use case where there's clearly no solution. Regardless of what we come up with it won't be sufficient.
    He needs a jailbroken iphone...

The Passport obviously can't do what this guy wants it to do.....so instead of trying to continue to provide help and assistance we should just throw up the peace sign and move to another thread. Because.....

This thread blew up for no reason..

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and deiop like this.
    02-09-15 04:26 AM
    Just ignore this pointless OP he clearly wants keep going around in circles and it's a wind up. He is an ***** and all your correct and great answers are wasted it's taken up too much valuable text space!

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree, let's stop it here.
    So far, I've seen a single suggestion. I have to go back to that.
    Rather complicated about using filtering techniques and such.
    But the other answers don't solve it at all.
    Obviously, I can't get through what's not working.

I'll try one last time:
    Conversations are NOT sorting by subject.
    It's automatically sorting by Sender and then by email trail.
    That's an important distinction.
    I gave the example before: Subjects usually are standard phrases such as "re: Your proposal".
    When searching for something like that, I end up with 5 or 10 other names with the same subject in the same time frame but from other clients and for different projects.
    So any kind of sorting or searching won't help at all.

To illustrate, conversations look like this:

Latest mail in the conversation
    - Reply back
    - Original mail
    Next conversation
    -
    All sorted chronologically by last entry. My conversations normally aren't that long, maybe covering 6 to 10 emails back and forth. Usually spread over a few weeks.

It looks that way for my other accounts.

For the Exchange account in question it looks like that:

Latest mail in the conversation
    Another dozen mails from different people about different topics
    Reply back
    Another dozen mails from different people about different topics
    Original mail

I see around 7 emails on my screen.
    Usually, the conversation is spread over 5 or 10 screens, when only checking for the last 3 to 5 emails.
    It's almost impossible, to follow the trail that way.

When instead searching for subject, it doesn't change much.
    Instead of dozens of mails in-between the conversation, it may be half that much.
    But still emails about entirely different projects and from other people end up in the very same search results.

Yes, you can manually scroll back in the timeframe and after a few pages will find the next mail. But before that, you'll click half a dozen other emails. I constantly get emails from a core group of maybe 50 people. I'll find a dozen in any given time period of a few days from the same people with a similar subject.
    Of course, I could start organizing the subjects. Maybe adding the project number or something like that.
    But should I really be forced to change my working procedure, just because one of my tools isn't behaving the way it's supposed to be?

And the argument "3 out of 4 tested smart phones can handle it, but that's not relevant, change your IT" points towards the same direction. Not the tool supporting my process, but the process being modified for a single tool...

And of course I'm going around in circles, since my problem can't be solved by the suggestions so far respectively would force a few additional steps onto me.
    02-09-15 05:52 AM
    The Passport obviously can't do what this guy wants it to do.....
    It can and so can many (all?) others.
    That's the problem.
    It should do, what I need.
    And it's doing it for the other accounts.
    But the suggestion "then it's not Passport, it's the account so change that" is a bit ridiculous. My 3 other systems can handle this account with exactly the same settings, so Passport is the one stumbling.
    Meaning: I don't get a standard feature to work.
    I had hoped for suggestions such as "don't use Exchange, configure the account via CardDAV and CalDAV" or something like that.
    "Change your server, although your 3 other phones and 60 to 80 other phones from your colleagues can do it" ignores the statistics and the obvious source of the problem.
    "Use some improvisation like manual search" is rather inconvenient, should not be necessary and doesn't even do the trick. To work, you would need 2 filtering criteria: First by sender, then by subject. Subject alone or sender alone won't give you the conversation, but a mix-up of numerous different conversations.
    "The Passport isn't for you" to some extent would be true, if it really isn't solvable. But I switched to BB for a reason. I don't want to use iPhone or any other system, they are no alternative.
    And that's why I'm moving in circles and am totally frustrated.
    My goal is, not working more than 10 to 20 hours per week. Any hour lost for administration goes against the core of my life settings. I want my tools to support my goals. Not finding workarounds, so my tools to some extent finally work.
    southlander likes this.
    02-09-15 06:09 AM
138 ... 3456