I've seen projects lost for reasons, maybe seeming strange to some.
    In one instance, an HR director did cancel a project, because one of my colleagues repeatedly was sending emails on weekends. Quote: "Your work-life balance seems out of order, I'm not working with such a company".
    Not relevant here, I just wanted to point out an example, what aspects to consider when writing and sending emails..
    You lost me at "not relevant here".

In another instance, we've lost a project, because the client stated "you (one of my colleagues) are sending me a consultancy report for a project with savings of € 150 millions while on the road from a mobile device? I should be worth the effort to send it professionally from a PC from a hotel or office".May seem ridiculous. But after having experienced such situations, one of my first activities on every mobile unit is changing the signature from "sent by mobile device" to something more neutral.
    I think that client saved you a world of problems by removing themselves from the equation. If they are that obsessed with what particular device you used.....and the not the content and the SAVINGS they would get....who knows what other ridiculous stuff they would bring up later. But, yes, you should not include the "sent from" if you don't want them to know this. Has nothing to do with a Passport.

As for your first point (sort of ridiculous because it should be re-titled to say "...MY...): Yes, it's my personal needs, Passport doesn't suit (yet?). But like I wrote repeatedly: The grouping feature, which is a huge annoyance, works on 3 other platforms, only Passport can't handle it. .
    As far as you know. It could be another issue.

It's "I never would have imagined there could be problems about a standard feature I'm using constantly on my other platforms". And I know dozens of people, making extensive use of the grouping feature.
    So do I. I'm one of them. You don't know for sure it's your Passports fault thus the thread title is flawed.

Your suggestion "search by subject line" is quite unrealistic. There will be endless emails like "our phone call" or "proposal as discussed". In the emails I'm writing myself, I could try to find some methodology, for example having the project number in the subject line. But I can't influence the way, my clients write their emails. And those are essential to the email trail.
    And: I don't want so search for a specific email. Often enough, I wouldn't even know what to search for. I need the entire email trail in kind of a "folder" structure, to be able to scroll through the history of a project. Often enough, the email trail starts with topic A and then drifts towards topic B. Searching for A never would come to mind, when checking B..
    Isn't that what grouping does? I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Email can only sort based on data it sees...usually subject lines.

Your other suggestion "just get 4 different email accounts" doesn't help either.
    Simple situation:
    Contact A in Client 3 sends me an email about project XYZ. Project XYZ is for legal entity #1.
    Then, in the same or another email, the very same contact refers to project ABC in legal entity #2.
    With 4 different email accounts, I would have separate email trails, although it had been the same conversation.
    Way more transparent and to my needs: The client sends his email always to the very same email account. I have a single conversation, even if it may cover 2 or 3 topics. I may respond with a different signature, depending on the topic, so my contact can forward this email to his people and they feel "at the right place"..
    Why can't you do everything you just described above with one email? Sound like you're trying to confuse the people you're talking to. WHY change the signature? Just use a more generic signature that covers all the various "Clark Kent's" that you're pretending to be here.

Re. Xing:
    First of all, it's not that exotic a platform.
    Yes.......it is.

Second of all, re. traffic LinkedIn and Xing are close in Germany (my main market for now): LinkedIn �berholt Xing in Deutschland
    But I don't care about traffic anyway, I care about members in Germany and the neighboring countries.
    In Germany, Austria and Switzerland, Xing has about 6 million registered users. That's one of the pools of potential candidates I'm fishing in.
    Our experience simply shows, that we find more candidates faster in Xing than in LinkedIn in our core markets. For my colleagues in UK, it's exactly the opposite.
    Great. But you do realize that's a drop in the bucket compared to other platforms like Linkedin....and THUS....you can't expect a native BB app for it. Again, unrealistic expectations.

And, no, your phone won't make you lunch either.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 02-08-15 at 03:00 PM.
    02-08-15 02:45 PM
    You lost me at "not relevant here".

I think that client saved you a world of problems by removing themselves from the equation. If they are that obsessed with what particular device you used.....and the not the content and the SAVINGS they would get....who knows what other ridiculous stuff they would bring up later. But, yes, you should not include the "sent from" if you don't want them to know this. Has nothing to do with a Passport.

As far as you know. It could be another issue.

So do I. I'm one of them. You don't know for sure it's your Passports fault thus the thread title is flawed.

Isn't that what grouping does? I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Email can only sort based on data it sees...usually subject lines.

Why can't you do everything you just described above with one email? Sound like you're trying to confuse the people you're talking to. WHY change the signature? Just use a more generic signature that covers are the various "Clark Kent's" that you're pretending to be here.

Yes.......it is.

Great. But you do realize that's a drop in the bucket compared to other platforms like Linkedin....and THUS....you can't expect a native BB app for it. Again, unrealistic expectations.

And, no, your phone won't make you lunch either.
    Please read my wording:
    It's grouping, not sorting.
    "Grouping" is the exact wording in the BB10 settings in hub.
    You can group the entire conversation or have the emails sorted chronologically.
    I need the conversation.
    And the conversation automatically is grouped (original email, replies back and forth...)...
    Or, to be more precise: It's automatically grouped on 3 out of 4 platforms, BB10/Passport being the sole exception.
    Whatever may be the reason: I can't make it work, after having fumbled around for hours, whereas the very same settings work on the other 3 devices...
    02-08-15 03:03 PM
    Lots of wants?
    Not really!
    I have 3 core needs for emails (on whatever platform):
    - Signatures with hyperlinks, CI conformity and such.
    - Fonts, font colors and font sizes.
    - Grouping by conversation.

Most platforms (iPhone, Windows Mobile, Windows 8 apps w/o Outlook, ...) can handle the latter 2 (fonts most can't change, but at least font colors and font sizes).
    For signatures, one often enough has to revert to 3rd party tools or stick to standard text.
    Hey, you can change font colour and size on BB10! Simply click on the fountain pen icon and it�s right in front of you.
    02-08-15 03:12 PM
    I've used the Z10 and Passport for personal and school use, which is mostly a ton of email (5 accounts), Facebook and a lot of attachments. I've also had the iPhone 5C and Q5 for work purposes.

The Passport on 10.3.0.908 works great for my "business" use. I particularly like the File Manager's integration with cloud services and my desktop computer, making the phone very much like a mini PC. The all-day battery life is also critical. iOS is weak with attachments because:
    1) Attachments are shown at the bottom of messages. This is bad because I've had several recipients using iPhones asking me to resend an attachment that had always been there. It was also a pain having to scroll back down to open the attachment again if I need to look at the message again briefly (no peek function on iOS).
    2) I couldn't send a message with attachments of different file types. It's pretty common to have both DOC and PDF in the same message. This is not a problem with BB10: I can send files of any format, even formats that the phone cannot read, and from any source.

That said, the OP does have a valid point regarding the lack of a HTML signature for email, which is available on iOS. I couldn't compose such a signature per se, but I could copy and paste from an existing email sent from my desktop, allowing me to incorporate a graphic with the firm's logo that is customary on the desktop signature. No such luck with BB10, but hopefully it's on the to-do list.

No issues with threaded messages on Exchange accounts, with and without BES. The problem could be with the server, if it modifies the message in such a way that the Hub thinks they are no longer part of the same conversation?

Docs to go is crippled compared to the BB7 version, especially the lack of support for footnotes and comments, which are important for marked up documents. All I can see is that there is something there, but the content of the note is not visible. iOS is even worse, there isn't even a footnote marker.

Native PDF handling is also weaker on iOS. I remember getting a marked up PDF on the iPhone and it looked like there were no changes. I had to go into the office to view the comments. No issue with BB10, it displays those elements properly.

In summary, I find BB10 to be better for most "business" activities, but iOS works fine for simple tasks.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    02-08-15 03:16 PM
    OP, I have a possible solution for your email signature and font issue.

I've got a fix that uses your clipboard so it's probably worth downloading clipman so that you don't lose anything.

You will need an app called Action Trigger, this is a great, super customisable tool that let's you do almost anything with your device, here's how to set it up to set it up.

First you want to find the html style information for both the font you want and your email sig. Write out your code like this:

<p style="font-family: times, serif; font-size:14pt; font-style:italic">
    Hello,
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <b>my email signature</b><br>
    Mobile: 0123456789 <br>
    Etc.
    </p>

Add an action in action trigger for set clipboard.

Passport less than satisfying for my business needs-img_20150208_210413.png

Set up the clipboard as text/html and paste in your html.

Passport less than satisfying for my business needs-img_20150208_210319.png

Then add the task as a homescreen shortcut.

Passport less than satisfying for my business needs-img_20150208_210341.png

It should look like this (bottom right icon, you can change the icon image to something more pleasing.)

Passport less than satisfying for my business needs-img_20150208_210348.png

Run the task by clicking the homescreen shortcut, also, have an explore and there will be loads of interesting ways to trigger the tasks. Then paste into an empty email and you will get...

Passport less than satisfying for my business needs-img_20150208_210300.png

Then when you start writing you will get the font you want and you can have a custom signature. I haven't tested images, my company doesn't use them. Repeat these steps for every sig you need. It's a bit of a cludge compared to outlook but it is a phone I guess and BlackBerry 10 destroys any other OS in terms of exchange support, at least at my work.

Best of luck op, I hope this goes some way to fixing your problem, I'm sure there's room for an enterprising app developer to make a more integrated solution.

Posted via CB10
    Alain_A likes this.
    02-08-15 03:19 PM
    BlackBerry is more than satisfying for business needs.

Posted via CB10
    hpjrt likes this.
    02-08-15 03:20 PM
    The call log should be simple and display all of the necessary information in an easy to use manner. When I call a number I should be about to long tap and the click in the "i" to see when I've called that number in the past, including date, time, and duration. It should go back at least a year. It doesn't. You have to search around to find that information.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    If you go into the 'Contacts' app and go to 'Activity' you can see any communication, inducing detailed calls iif you fancy that.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 03:37 PM
    <snip>
    Nitpicky, but I partially agree: A corporate email should look the same, no matter how and where generated.

Imagine, one would send a consultancy email about standardisation, certificates and the likes and each of the 5 emails to that topic looks different...

And more and more email signatures contain buttons to the LinkedIn profile, to job openings and the likes. Or company logos. Or...
    <snip>
    Ignoring for a moment the various reasons why the rendering of the signature will vary by receiving devices and applications...

...and ignoring that font rendering will only work if the receiving device and application can handle it...

...and the same for images etc

...the real thing here is that setting a consistent signature can, and should be a function controlled by the corporate mail server. That'd remove your issue and solve it for every user on every device always.

You're attempting to fix the wrong issue.

Posted via CB10
    nyallj likes this.
    02-08-15 03:47 PM
    The issues you bring up seem totally valid OP. To your list I would also add the crappie call log and address book, which are both important for business users.

The idea that BlackBerry is targeting enterprise users is really nothing more than a smoke show to cover for poor consumer sales. Then when devices don't sell well BlackBerry and the fanaticals can say, "They never intended for it to sell to consumers."

If BlackBerry really only cared about business they would stop selling on the consumer market altogether.

Personally i really like the call log and address book on BB10. One feature i have always loved about Blackberry ever since BBOS is that the company name of the contact appears bellow the contacts name. I personally love this as for my job i deal with many vendors. I remember with iOS and Android having to search the company name to find the person i was looking for
    02-08-15 03:54 PM
    I can copy/paste the signature I use in Outlook.
    But the format gets lost and the hyperlinks "intelligence" as well.
    Many might say: What's the problem?

Brief anecdote: One of my colleagues' projects got terminated by the client. My college had been sending one of those emails, obviously generated on a mobile device. The client than stated "this isn't productive and I don't want a consultant that inefficient".
    Nitpicky, but I partially agree: A corporate email should look the same, no matter how and where generated.

Imagine, one would send a consultancy email about standardisation, certificates and the likes and each of the 5 emails to that topic looks different...

And more and more email signatures contain buttons to the LinkedIn profile, to job openings and the likes. Or company logos. Or...

Posted via CB10 on Passport from Germany
    Just think how upset they would get if they saw you use the word loose in instances that call for using the word lose. A friendly spelling tip.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-08-15 04:15 PM
    The call log should be simple and display all of the necessary information in an easy to use manner. When I call a number I should be about to long tap and the click in the "i" to see when I've called that number in the past, including date, time, and duration. It should go back at least a year. It doesn't. You have to search around to find that information.

Are you asking for your call log to act as a CRM?

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 04:24 PM
    I think the OP makes some very good points and I can understand the frustration. It’s definitely true that some applications, like Contacts, Hub/Mail and Link, are still lacking on BlackBerry 10. Something can also be said about BlackBerry’s prioritisation of features, where apparently lots of resources are spent on the Android Runtime and a new UI design, but not enough attention is given to fixing bugs in some key applications like Contacts. Even in 10.3.1, Contacts just fails to work flawlessly. For a company that prides itself for making products for businesses first, there are surprisingly many gaps. I don’t share the OP’s love for hardware keyboards and in my opinion, many smartphones, including iPhones, are very capable business devices these days. There isn’t a distinct advantage anymore by choosing BlackBerry for professional use.

Iphone 4/4s battery sucks even on standby. Same with emails, you have to open an app, it will sync first before you can see and read it. Worst than any other phones out there.
    The iPhones 4/4S are old devices at this point and they can’t use the OS to optimal potential anymore. Some battery life is sacrificed as a result. Newer hardware benefits greatly from the OS optimisations undertaken especially in iOS 7. I can assure you that newer devices perform much better due to the newer technologies, have fantastic standby battery life and can be charged quickly due to the smaller batteries. However, e-mails have always been loaded in the background and many apps now offer push triggers and background app refresh for 1.5 years now. These points are not to be held against the iPhone anymore, especially when you are comparing it to the latest technology of BlackBerry.

Just think how upset they would get if they saw you use the word loose in instances that call for using the word lose. A friendly spelling tip.

Have you noticed, by the way, that he’s from Germany? Stands to reason that he will be communicating a lot in German as well.
    02-08-15 04:49 PM
    It would have been close to impossible to read this thread and not notice he is in Germany. It is a friendly spelling tip and nothing more.

02-08-15 04:54 PM
    It would have been close to impossible to read this thread and not notice he is in Germany. It is a friendly spelling tip and nothing more.
    It sounded more cynic to me than you probably intended. ;-)
    grover5 likes this.
    02-08-15 04:58 PM
    Please read my wording:
    It's grouping, not sorting.
    "Grouping" is the exact wording in the BB10 settings in hub.
    You can group the entire conversation or have the emails sorted chronologically.
    I need the conversation.
    And the conversation automatically is grouped (original email, replies back and forth...)...
    Or, to be more precise: It's automatically grouped on 3 out of 4 platforms, BB10/Passport being the sole exception.
    Whatever may be the reason: I can't make it work, after having fumbled around for hours, whereas the very same settings work on the other 3 devices...
    Yea, I read it. Exactly, what is this grouping (AKA sorting into groups) supposed to do that it's not doing? I don't see anything called grouping.

Are you talking about conversation mode for display? Because that is what you are describing. And searching by subject line would accomplish the same thing manually.
    southlander likes this.
    02-08-15 05:16 PM
    I probably have to elaborate:
    We're offering end-to-end services re. "Human Capital": Interims Management, Coaching, Recruitment, ...

If client A purely needs Coaching, this would be solvable.
    But what if contact 1 in client A needs other services than contact 2 in the very same client? Easiest way: In Outlook I manually add 1 of 4 signatures.

Well, I admit, this may be too complicated and unique a task.

So, next example:
    Client 1 last week may have been talking about Coaching, but this week about Interims Management.
    Can you imagine the pain, finding my way through the emails without automatically grouping?
    I don't know, why grouping by conversation doesn't work for this specific Exchange account. All I can tell: When trying the very same setting on 3 relatively "primitive" systems, it's been working out of the box.

Posted via CB10 on Passport from Germany
    Ok so why don't you try creating rules with word syntax in them so they are automatically forwarded to the correct client in say 1 but it appears in 2 if it is about "coaching" for example. It would group the rules within the relevant search rule parameters.

Also do you not have a PC based database CRM solution that also sorts the syntax out and put them in the relevant email folders or something like that maybe?

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 05:27 PM
    Hey, you can change font colour and size on BB10! Simply click on the fountain pen icon and it’s right in front of you.
    Please read my note: "fonts most can't change, but at least font colors and font sizes".
    I'm aware, that I can change size and color, but that's not what I'm trying to do. The CI defines the font as well.
    02-08-15 05:59 PM
    OP, I have a possible solution for your email signature and font issue.

I've got a fix that uses your clipboard so it's probably worth downloading clipman so that you don't lose anything.

You will need an app called Action Trigger, this is a great, super customisable tool that let's you do almost anything with your device, here's how to set it up to set it up.

First you want to find the html style information for both the font you want and your email sig. Write out your code like this:

<p style="font-family: times, serif; font-size:14pt; font-style:italic">
    Hello,
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <b>my email signature</b><br>
    Mobile: 0123456789 <br>
    Etc.
    </p>

Add an action in action trigger for set clipboard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150208_210413.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	332566

Set up the clipboard as text/html and paste in your html.

Name:	IMG_20150208_210319.png 
Views:	270 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	332567

Then add the task as a homescreen shortcut.

Name:	IMG_20150208_210341.png 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	332568

It should look like this (bottom right icon, you can change the icon image to something more pleasing.)

Name:	IMG_20150208_210348.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	417.8 KB 
ID:	332569

Run the task by clicking the homescreen shortcut, also, have an explore and there will be loads of interesting ways to trigger the tasks. Then paste into an empty email and you will get...

Name:	IMG_20150208_210300.png 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	332570

Then when you start writing you will get the font you want and you can have a custom signature. I haven't tested images, my company doesn't use them. Repeat these steps for every sig you need. It's a bit of a cludge compared to outlook but it is a phone I guess and BlackBerry 10 destroys any other OS in terms of exchange support, at least at my work.

Best of luck op, I hope this goes some way to fixing your problem, I'm sure there's room for an enterprising app developer to make a more integrated solution.

Posted via CB10
    I'll test it out, thanks a lot!
    02-08-15 06:01 PM

Thanks.
    But I'm German, not a native speaker and mostly communicate with German clients in German.
    02-08-15 06:03 PM
    Yea, I read it. Exactly, what is this grouping (AKA sorting into groups) supposed to do that it's not doing? I don't see anything called grouping.

Are you talking about conversation mode for display? Because that is what you are describing. And searching by subject line would accomplish the same thing manually.
    Searching by subject line does not accomplish the same thing.
    I've written it before: Most subjects don't contain much info, but are standard phrases such as "contract signed" or "re. your proposal". First of all, I wouldn't even know what to search for respectively would get way too many hits.
    If they are grouped by conversation (Display Style "Conversation" instead of "Single Messages" in the hub settings) it usually is way more convenient. Especially if you really have to jump back and forth ("who wrote what and when in response to what?") between 5 or 10 emails on a small display.

For my specific Exchange account, grouping by conversation or single message doesn't make any difference.
    They all are sorted chronologically, no conversations at all.
    It's working for my other accounts, so the display style definitely is set correctly.
    Yes, it most likely is something about the account itself. But I've tried 3 other platforms with exactly the same settings: iPhone 4S, Lumia 920 and Surface Pro 3 (Windows 8 app, not Outlook) and all show the conversation.
    Yes, my colleagues from IT probably could sort it out. But why touch a business configuration, that's working on hundreds of mobile phones for me and my colleagues, but not on my (else beloved) Passport?
    02-08-15 06:21 PM
    Ok so why don't you try creating rules with word syntax in them so they are automatically forwarded to the correct client in say 1 but it appears in 2 if it is about "coaching" for example. It would group the rules within the relevant search rule parameters.

Also do you not have a PC based database CRM solution that also sorts the syntax out and put them in the relevant email folders or something like that maybe?

Posted via CB10

It's all solvable.
    But basically I end up the same as before on iPhone 4S. I didn't use iPhone for emails anymore, but my 8" Windows 8 tablets with Outlook instead for less hassle.
    I openly admit: I didn't do any research and I obviously had too high expectations. But I really would have expected, BB10 offering more for signatures, fonts and such than iOS. After all, Passport constantly is advertised as the email powerhouse.
    02-08-15 06:24 PM
    Ha ha nice try troll, the antiquated Iphone 4S is better, i stoped reading at that piont

Then you didn't get it at all.
    Maybe I was a bit too sarcastic here.
    I clearly stated: My dumb iPhone, which I didn't use anymore and wanted to replace it, can do the grouping by conversation, which my Passport cannot handle. And I clearly stated, iPhone is far from benchmark. I find it ridiculous for business (I never could understand, why iPhone kept correcting German standard terms in an English email to some nonsense, whereas BB perfectly switches between the predefined languages even in the same sentence). That's why I find it so frustrating, that consumer phones like Lumia 920 and iPhone 4S can do some of the things, my passport refuses to do. 3 out of 4 tested smart phones can handle my Exchange server. And of all things, Passport is the single one to stumble...
    02-08-15 06:30 PM
    Passport is the best device for business on the market!
    02-08-15 06:30 PM
    I don't quite get the reaction of maybe 75% of you.
    You keep telling me, my problems are not relevant or minimal or I'm expecting too much.
    First of all, I'm not expecting too much, when my problems with the Exchange server only occur on Passport, but not so on Lumia 920, iPhone 4s and Surface Pro 3 Windows 8 apps (plus a few hundred phones of my colleagues). At least 2 of the latter 3 (in my opinion) being "dumb" consumer products, not business tools.
    Second of all, my problems may seem minimal to you, but they don't do for me. You keep bashing me, for having stated my personal opinion = Passport less than satisfying. But in the very same sentence you take your own personal opinion and declare my problems minimal and Passport being benchmark.

Again:
    My main task on Passport is writing emails, but even more so reading through email trails before sending my response.
    If I don't have the email trail grouped by conversation, it's painfully inconvenient on a small screen.
    This grouping not working, probably is a flaw in our Exchange configuration. But when hundreds of smartphones can handle it, why should we touch it for a single Passport? I'd expect/hope Passport being at least as flexible as iOS or Windows mobile, to process an Exchange configuration, even if it's not 100% by the books.

And I naively would have hoped for some tips, but less than 5% (maybe 5 out of 100 responses) had been helpful.
    Some keep naming me a troll. But what else than trolling are 80% of the responses?
    southlander likes this.
    02-08-15 06:41 PM
    I have a photo associated with my various email accounts and they are different. It's a function of how I set up my contact information associated with each account. You can do it very easily. As to contacts I can access my iCloud contacts and my work contacts from my work email. I just don't get what exactly your having trouble with. I get the font thing but as the thread above there is a work around. The HUB integrates lots of things for ease of reference on email and it seems to be an excellent feature.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 06:42 PM
138 ... 23456