I've got my Passport since end of September.
    I was really enthusiastic about it.
    But now, after I've actually used it for business needs, basically only 3 things are left:
    a.) I love the keyboard and the fantastic predictions.
    b.) I love the over all design and the display.
    c.) I'm still, since my very first BlackBerry in 2004, a huge fan of the LED.

But:
    If I compare to my dumb iPhone 4S, which I found ridiculous for business, Passport unfortunately even can do less:
    1.) I can't change fonts in emails, I can't add a "professional" signature with company logo and such.
    Not better than iPhone 4S.
    2.) In one of my Exchange accounts, grouping by conversation doesn't work.
    I find this essential, often enough I need the email trail.
    It probably is my account, probably not sticking to some conventions.
    Anyway, grouping on iPhone 4S, Lumia 920 and Surface Pro 3, to name only a few, is working just fine with the very same settings.

And:
    There are lots of great ideas.
    But most of them only in theory are useful, in daily business most of them fail.
    For example, Link in the meantime really annoys me. I've got, for whatever reason, 3 orphaned PCs listed in the file explorer.
    Why can't I simply access my BlackBerry ID and manually delete these orphans?
    And remote access is hit and miss.

I could go on forever, but to summarize:
    I've had the 64GB PlayBook from the very beginning (still have it, but only rarely use it anymore) and see lots of similarities to my PassPort:
    From a hardware and design perspective, I love them both.
    Both have an enormous app gap.
    Yes, of course I have Snap and Google Play on my PassPort. But I find it a compromise at best. Performance isn't really great and frankly I don't want to bother with Google Play Services and such. And when I use Taskmaster, I find surprisingly many Android Apps running in the background, which certainly is one explanation for the sometimes not so great performance and battery life. I'm envious, when I see some claiming battery durations of 30 hours. I only can imagine, those are mainly standby values. When I'm using my PassPort for business, battery life is about the same as on my iPhone 4S before: I barely make it through the day. That�s maybe 6 hours of average constant use (calls and mails mostly).
    So, given the app gap, I mostly would use my PassPort for 2 core tasks: Mails and calls.
    For calls it's flawless, way better reception and speech quality than iPhone 4S.
    But for eMails, I probably have to get back to my 8" Windows 8 tablets (Dell Venue 8 Pro and Lenovo ThinkPad 8) with Outlook.

Meaning:
    I'm surprised and disappointed about the limited business capabilities. And I see lots of flaws and issues.

BTW:
    I've tried most leaks.
    They add some great features and show, what BB10 could be.
    Configuring the LED is fantastic and this feature alone blows iPhone out of the water.
    Still: I'll give it a few more tries, but I'm starting to loose patience and my enthusiasm already has declined drastically...

Do you really find it outstanding for common business tasks?
    02-07-15 09:50 PM
    I can understand some of your complains, but battery life is really good for me. I have configured 2 exchange accounts and one IBM traveler through BES 12, and I get around 100 emails a day. Evernote is syncing and BlackBerry Workdrives gives me access to the corporate file systems. I have synchronised several folders with Workdrives and it is working flawlessly. All mail accounts are grouped. I wake up at 4AM and when I get home at about 7 pm I have about 50-60 percent of battery life. BUT I am on wifi nearly all the time, even in my car.

I have switched to 2G/3G, because I normally do not need LTE for my daily life. In some cases I activate LTE / 4G , but for business I personally just need it for huge downloads. UMTS / 3G needs less power.

The hub is the main reason I love BlackBerry for business (beside security and workdrives). With 10.3.1 the devices 'learns' where to move my mails, the quick actions in the hub for move and delete are great.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 10:13 PM
    Why can't you change fonts? Compose Message, top the format button (pen) and then pick the font size?

I also have no problems displaying by conversations on my device which is also on Exchange. Maybe there is some issue with your employers BES server?

RedBerry Passport /10.3.1.2267 / Telus
    WiseEyes likes this.
    02-07-15 10:18 PM
    Iphone 4/4s battery sucks even on standby. Same with emails, you have to open an app, it will sync first before you can see and read it. Worst than any other phones out there.

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    02-07-15 10:19 PM
    I'd like to change fonts as well in emails or word docs.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 10:21 PM
    The issues you bring up seem totally valid OP. To your list I would also add the crappie call log and address book, which are both important for business users.

The idea that BlackBerry is targeting enterprise users is really nothing more than a smoke show to cover for poor consumer sales. Then when devices don't sell well BlackBerry and the fanaticals can say, "They never intended for it to sell to consumers."

If BlackBerry really only cared about business they would stop selling on the consumer market altogether.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    02-07-15 10:22 PM
    Sorry to say that, but I am very happy with the call logs in 10.3.1 and the address book works fine with exchange / IBM traveler.

May I ask you for explaining?

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 10:27 PM
    Sorry to say that, but I am very happy with the call logs in 10.3.1 and the address book works fine with exchange / IBM traveler.

May I ask you for explaining?

Posted via CB10
    The call log should be simple and display all of the necessary information in an easy to use manner. When I call a number I should be about to long tap and the click in the "i" to see when I've called that number in the past, including date, time, and duration. It should go back at least a year. It doesn't. You have to search around to find that information.

heepman and SnapzGEG like this.
    02-07-15 10:31 PM
    Why can't you change fonts? Compose Message, top the format button (pen) and then pick the font size?
    He wants to change the font itself, nor the size.

02-07-15 10:36 PM
    I can understand some of your complains, but battery life is really good for me. I have configured 2 exchange accounts and one IBM traveler through BES 12, and I get around 100 emails a day. Evernote is syncing and BlackBerry Workdrives gives me access to the corporate file systems. I have synchronised several folders with Workdrives and it is working flawlessly. All mail accounts are grouped. I wake up at 4AM and when I get home at about 7 pm I have about 50-60 percent of battery life. BUT I am on wifi nearly all the time, even in my car.

I have switched to 2G/3G, because I normally do not need LTE for my daily life. In some cases I activate LTE / 4G , but for business I personally just need it for huge downloads. UMTS / 3G needs less power.

The hub is the main reason I love BlackBerry for business (beside security and workdrives). With 10.3.1 the devices 'learns' where to move my mails, the quick actions in the hub for move and delete are great.

Posted via CB10
    Of those 15 hours (4am to 7pm): How many hours do you actually use your Passport? I can make about 6 hours of constant use. Mostly mails, maybe 2 hours of calls. Mostly WiFi.
    02-07-15 10:38 PM
    Iphone 4/4s battery sucks even on standby. Same with emails, you have to open an app, it will sync first before you can see and read it. Worst than any other phones out there.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not a fan of iPhone at all. I find it a great gadget, but a joke for business use.
    But this makes it even more frustrating, that iPhone 4S can group this specific Exchange account and Passport can't.
    02-07-15 10:39 PM

I also have no problems displaying by conversations on my device which is also on Exchange. Maybe there is some issue with your employers BES server?

This ("Compose Message, top the format button (pen) and then pick the font size?") only changes the font size, not the font itself.
    Most of the companies I know have their own fonts or at least CI regulations, what fonts to use.
    So it is all up to your demands. In 99% I do not need to know how long a phone call was. But when I need the information I hit the 'I' and every thing is there what you mentioned. For me it is great to have only the (for me) important stuff on the main view. I can see who called me and when and I can call back. That's it.

I can group the calls by 'lost calls' an can start calling them back after the meeting. Efficient.

10.3.1 you do not have to 'long press' something, just tab the 'i' below the caller name.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deiop; 02-07-15 at 10:54 PM.
    wincyUt likes this.

That's probably the problem, this server maybe not sticking to some Exchange conventions.
    But like I wrote: iPhone 4S, Nokia Lumia 920 and Surface Pro 3 can do it with the very same settings just fine.

BTW: My other accounts all group fine on Passport, so the grouping in general can't be the problem either.
    02-07-15 10:41 PM
    This ("Compose Message, top the format button (pen) and then pick the font size?") only changes the font size, not the font itself.
    Most of the companies I know have their own fonts or at least CI regulations, what fonts to usw.
    Really? Corporate fonts are there, on paper and pdf's, but on email? The most email clients do only support a handful of fonts and I personally do not know ONE company that uses a corporate font within email.

I respect your demand, but it is a question of quantity. If one of 50 enterprises needs special fonts for their emails I think it is understandable that it is NOT implemented. Especially because of the lack of font compatibility on the receiving client.

IBM Notes f.e. displays only a very limited font variety.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deiop; 02-07-15 at 10:56 PM.
    jdesignz likes this.
    02-07-15 10:46 PM
    Of those 15 hours (4am to 7pm): How many hours do you actually use your Passport? I can make about 6 hours of constant use. Mostly mails, maybe 2 hours of calls. Mostly WiFi.
    2 hours call, rest email. Some presentations over hdmi, that is the normal day. Display is the main power consumer in the device monitor. Followed by PIM and system.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 10:52 PM
    12hrs here. Calls, emails, plus some games on spare time. I don't have issues with call logs as well. Special fonts for emails might be a good idea but it just a waste of time.

02-07-15 11:11 PM
    Love the gerneralization the OP makes... just because there are some issues the OP does not like hardly makes the device unsuitable for business.... would have taken the post seriously had the OP not gone the comparison route.... Almost all phones can be used for business depending on personal preference and expectations.. Apple, Sammy, WP8 and BB are all marketing to enterprise...... to say one does something better is subjective at best... trolling at worst.... as I do not see the point of another "because it does not do want I want it must be the same for everyone else".... gets tedious... how about a post that simply state your opinion and concerns and heaven forbid some solutions.....
    02-07-15 11:12 PM
    Most of the companies I know have their own fonts or at least CI regulations, what fonts to use.
    I guess if that is important? I'm in banking, so we have strict email format. Ariel or Times New Roman. Email signature has to be very specific. No logos, taglines, quotes, promotional links other than the main website. Very dull.

jdesignz likes this.
    02-07-15 11:12 PM
    Of course there are deficiencies in all devices. However, calling the Passport less than satisfying begs the question : what device do you find satisfying?

For me the "business" value that BlackBerry provides that I have not seen on any other device:

Hub to view accounts separately along with call, texts in one place.
    Full device search that is really unmatched. I recently could not find an email with some notes and the device search found a copy of the draft I had in the Remember app from a year ago, whereas the remote email search did not.
    Pinch to filter-I have this set to flagged messages to make sure I can respond to important emails throughout the day.
    Attachments View- if you need to find or forward documents, good luck on your iPhone!
    File Manager- being able to manage files on your device and also use USB mode to transfer larger files that exceed the email attachment limits set by IT. I actually have a demo software installer of 300MB on my SD card that I have given people at a meeting via USB.
    Keyboard: Speed dial, app shortcuts. Predictions are even more important for business use because it remembers all your industry acronyms and terminology that you use frequently!!!!!

I guess there is a wide spectrum of what people consider "business" use. IMO, I would not say that one account not grouping and a font selection limitation overcomes all the other solid business designs in these devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 11:13 PM
    1.) I can't change fonts in emails, I can't add a "professional" signature with company logo and such.
    Not better than iPhone 4S.
    ?
    You are right, the functionality concerning the signature is limited. Blackberry asked a lot of customers 'what they want' and in most cases the footer is set by the company's email gateway because of compliance.

The only thing they wanted is to set there personal name below the main message part. The rest is set automatically by the mail system.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-07-15 11:22 PM
    Love the gerneralization the OP makes... just because there are some issues the OP does not like hardly makes the device unsuitable for business.... would have taken the post seriously had the OP not gone the comparison route.... Almost all phones can be used for business depending on personal preference and expectations.. Apple, Sammy, WP8 and BB are all marketing to enterprise...... to say one does something better is subjective at best... trolling at worst.... as I do not see the point of another "because it does not do want I want it must be the same for everyone else".... gets tedious... how about a post that simply state your opinion and concerns and heaven forbid some solutions.....
    I never stated anything else than my subjective opinion.
    For my needs, BB10 doesn't offer enough features, to be my sole mail client on a trip.
    I'll probably keep taking one of my Windows 8 tablets with me and stick to Outlook.

Posted via CB10 on Passport from Germany
    02-08-15 12:07 AM
    Really? Corporate fonts are there, on paper and pdf's, but on email? The most email clients do only support a handful of fonts and I personally do not know ONE company that uses a corporate font within email.

I respect your demand, but it is a question of quantity. If one of 50 enterprises needs special fonts for their emails I think it is understandable that it is NOT implemented. Especially because of the lack of font compatibility on the receiving client.

IBM Notes f.e. displays only a very limited font variety.

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't have to be a company font, although I know quite a few companies that use one.
    But lots of companies define the font type and even this can't be changed.
    How hard would it be, to offer Arial, Times NR and some 5 or 10 most commonly used fonts?

02-08-15 12:11 AM
    ... because it does not do want I want it must be the same for everyone else...
    Where did I write anything even remotely like that.
    I merely stated my personal demands and my personal frustration.

And I did compare to iPhone explicitly not as some kind of benchmark. Quite the contrary: I (again: Personally and subjectively) consider iPhone absolutely unsuitable for business and that's what it makes so frustrating, that iPhone in so many areas is able to compete and in some area even outshines Passport.

02-08-15 12:17 AM
    ..how about a post that simply state your opinion and concerns and heaven forbid some solutions.....
    I think, I have done exactly that.
    I've described a few of my problems.
    I'm toying around for weeks already, without much progress.
    I don't have any solutions and I don't find any in the threads. That's why I'm starting to loose patience. I need it for work, but with the exception of keyboard, word predictions and LED notifications doesn't solve any of my problems I've had on other smartphones.
    Maybe my needs simply can't be fulfilled and I have to stick to a small Windows 8 tablet. But personally, I find this frustrating. I can solve all mail related problems on a $ 250 tablet, but not on a $ 650 smartphone considered a business flagship?

02-08-15 12:27 AM
138 123 ...