View Poll Results: Passport keyboard vs Classic blackberry (not 3vs4 row just physical keys themselves)

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Passport

7 70.00%
  • All Other Physical Keyboards

3 30.00%
    For people who hav eused the passport enough to break in the keyboard, what's your opinion on the keys themselves.

Not nessecarily 3 vs 4 row but just the ease of typing and feel in hand.

So far, I hav enot used it that much so it is not broken in but it feels very very stiff.

Almost like a mechanical keyboard but for phones, my cherry mx black is easier to type on lol.

--
    With the older phones wheter curve 9310, 9810 or 9900 I could pick up the phone from day one and be writing essays on it from the start.

I am heavily leaning toward the classic now for just this reason, but I hope the passport will get better because I really really don't want to go back to a dual core.

I remember few years back thinking all I need is a bold with a dual core and I have that so maybe I'm being silly.

I may just wait until the classic 2 (which will def have same specs as passport 1 Imo) or something but Idk.

If the keyboard on passport doesn't get better over time I'm gonna switch.

edit - I myself voted for all others, so that is the single vote for it. Let's see what the community consensus is.
    deusnikola likes this.
    01-25-15 07:16 AM
    I have the Passport now for quite a while and coming from a Q10 as well as older BlackBerry devices I think the keyboard will never get as good as the full 4-row keyboards on a Q10 or 9900 were. To the stiffness I can add that it will break in a little at some point but it won't get as soft as you're used to, and it is even kind of loud to type on it.

What I like is that the keys are large, which minimizes the chance of hitting the wrong key. However, your fingers have to travel longer distances between the keys which makes typing a tad more inconvenient, especially as the space bar is so short. I am still not sure if I could ever get as proficient on the Passport keyboard as I was with my old device and I sometimes miss the shift / alt key, especially when typing numbers or special characters.

Well, at the end of the day I think both keyboards have their advantages but if you're a hardcore typist, the Classic is probably the better way to go. I'm thinking about the switch too sometimes.

We have to see that the keyboard on the classic is some kind of compromise between a modern flagship smartphone with a big screen and a classic BlackBerry.
    I'd say, give the Passport some time and try getting used to the sheer size of the device and to its keyboard. If it doesn't appeal, do the switch.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    01-25-15 07:34 AM
    Have had my Passport since launch and I love it. The keyboard is immense, coming from a bold 9900 I have to say for me, the Passport keyboard is probably the best I have ever used.

Before the Passport I had the z10 and z30 so coming back to the physical keyboard was a godsend. Took some time for me to adjust back to the keyboard but after a week, I couldn't put it down and still can't. The classic looks nice but I haven't considered it due to that fact that the Passport is a far more superior device.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 08:04 AM
    I have the Passport now for quite a while and coming from a Q10 as well as older BlackBerry devices I think the keyboard will never get as good as the full 4-row keyboards on a Q10 or 9900 were. To the stiffness I can add that it will break in a little at some point but it won't get as soft as you're used to, and it is even kind of loud to type on it.

What I like is that the keys are large, which minimizes the chance of hitting the wrong key. However, your fingers have to travel longer distances between the keys which makes typing a tad more inconvenient, especially as the space bar is so short. I am still not sure if I could ever get as proficient on the Passport keyboard as I was with my old device and I sometimes miss the shift / alt key, especially when typing numbers or special characters.

Well, at the end of the day I think both keyboards have their advantages but if you're a hardcore typist, the Classic is probably the better way to go. I'm thinking about the switch too sometimes.

We have to see that the keyboard on the classic is some kind of compromise between a modern flagship smartphone with a big screen and a classic BlackBerry.
    I'd say, give the Passport some time and try getting used to the sheer size of the device and to its keyboard. If it doesn't appeal, do the switch.

Posted via CB10
    I am somewhat of the same mind. I do find I am making fewer errors due to the key size so, in my case, it sort of cancels out in terms of proficiency.

Either way, the Passport's keyboard has not led to it being a less efficient communication device.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 08:39 AM
    A few weeks after getting my Passport and getting used to the keyboard, screen, odd size, etc., I finally decided to sell my Q10. I thought I'd keep it until I was comfortable with the passport.

While I was in the process of putting up a 'for sale' ad for the Q10, I just thought I'd type an email on its keyboard and, it was just impossible to do so.

The passport's keyboard is so much nicer, so much more tactile, and the keys are bigger so easier to use in general.

Just give it some time to break in. You won't be disappointed.

Posted via CB10 on an AWESOME Passport
    01-25-15 10:10 AM
    Well I got my Passport launch week and for work and pleasure I have about 20 email address all hosting different ways of organization for me and I can honestly tell you I CAN now type hyper fast without loookig at the keyboard.

And the capacitive feature is also ace!

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:35 PM
    The stiffness was apparent right away but within a day or so I no longer noticed it. The keyboard itself is a dream once it becomes second nature, the point where you just do and don't think about it. It doesn't have the feel or softness of the 9700 but it's quite spacious and deadly accurate.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    01-25-15 03:13 PM
    When you get use to the 3 rows keyboard, it's a very nice experience. I still miss the shift key a bit to type numbers, but I'm getting more and more use to the way to do it with the touch screen. As for the feel of the keyboard, it brings me back to my 9900, witch is what convinced me to buy the passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 03:24 PM
    Every new hardware needs an adaptation period, whether it's a new car, or a new phone!
    I used the passport for months now and i'm happy to let you know that in my opinion the three row keyboard + 4th tactile is just great and makes a lot of sense! Swipe down to pull up number and symbols comes very natural after the adaptation period! I'm as fast as with the old BlackBerry keyboard, I just like it! It's much more stylish too, clean and lean keyboard

I was sceptical at first, but again it was just because I had to get used to it! Now that I am used to it I'm very happy with BlackBerry decision to innovate it!

My own opinion, that's all!

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 03:40 PM
    At first I found them to be rather stiff and hard to type with. I felt like my hands would get cramped. But before I bought my Passport I had read a lot of reviews and watched a lot of videos on it and people had said that it takes a few days to get use to the changes and the style of keyboard. Now that I'm used to the harder push of the keys I actually rather like it. Very tactile with a lot of feedback. My typing has become even more accurate. Plus, swipe gestures on the keyboard helps out a lot too.

I know this isn't about 3 vs 4 rows, but I have tried using my old Q10 since and I kept making several mistakes with the keyboard. I think I've actually come to like the Passport's 3 rows better now that I'm adjusted!
    01-25-15 05:06 PM
    I like the keyboard now but after three months find a few bugs. It sometimes erases my last word if I dont lift my finger up high enough after typing and especially in cold weather, it gets crazy. Space bar is too short! Put the 9900 keyboard with passports capacitiveness (is that a word?) and I would be good

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    01-25-15 05:12 PM
    My "finger" memory for the new keyboard sometimes is gone while for the old one kicks in sometimes.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 05:55 PM
    While I was in the process of putting up a 'for sale' ad for the Q10, I just thought I'd type an email on its keyboard and, it was just impossible to do so.
    Posted via CB10 on an AWESOME Passport
    Can't type on the Q10 anymore. So tiny... :-)
    Plus, it has now developed double-typitis and it is very sick. Some keys have gone hard (?) now from disuse...? Maybe swapping the KB out might help...

Have had my Passport since launch and I love it. The keyboard is immense, coming from a bold 9900 I have to say for me, the Passport keyboard is probably the best I have ever used.
    Posted via CB10
    ^ listen guys, this is a BOLD user, with arguably the best physical KB BlackBerry ever made... ! 8-o

�   Happy Australia Day 2015 - come and visit, mate...!   �
    01-25-15 06:00 PM
    I've had the Passport for several months now. I'm in the minority as the more I use the keyboard the less I like it. It's not just about the three row, it's pretty much everything. I have found I use my thumbnails to type as opposed to my tips and must keep the nails very short. I never had this issue on any of my previous BlackBerry phones. Also, I've not gained much in the way of speed and right now I'm simply waiting for the Classic colors to be released before I ditch the PP & return to a real keypad.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 07:23 PM
    I've had a couple devices. The November build was stiffer than the December one. The Nov softened up over time. The Dec was perfect out of the box.
    01-25-15 07:54 PM
    You guus are right, I'll stick with it and get used to it. I do make more mistakes on it, and it hurts my hand to type more than a few lines for now.

My instinct is still set to 4 row but you can't undo 5 years in 5 days.
    01-28-15 06:39 AM
    After a couple months use, my PP keyboard is just as loose and clicky as my 9900 was. I can fly on this keyboard and very rarely use the onscreen keyboard(I always flick down to map the physical keys to whats onscreen). I believe this one trick helped me get used to the keyboard a lot faster then trying to use the combination of the 2.
    01-28-15 06:49 AM
    After a couple months use, my PP keyboard is just as loose and clicky as my 9900 was. I can fly on this keyboard and very rarely use the onscreen keyboard(I always flick down to map the physical keys to whats onscreen). I believe this one trick helped me get used to the keyboard a lot faster then trying to use the combination of the 2.
    I use a bit of both and I just tried to use a q10 and I couldn't lol I'm used to having the punctuation just above me now.

Only thing is if there was a way to just flick down and have the symbols stay up. If you use the mapped key it keeps going away.

I still can't believe the passport is a blackberry, even after all these months. This is nothing like the z10 during the berryleaks days

Lol the BlackBerry browser is faster on crackberry than firefox on the note. Night and day difference no lag loading pages, or when typing.

Lol that feeling of wtf would I do without my berry is coming back. Hell, it is back.

-
    Using the phone seated or standing seems to be fine. I think the problem I had was that lying in my room, the phone was too top heavy to be comfortable.

O well, on to 10.3.1
    01-28-15 09:23 AM
    I use both a passport and q10 right (cause my company hasn't updated it's bes to support the passport) and it's so weird for me to use the old style 4 row keyboard. I have always hated using the symbol and capitalized buttons in the 4 row keyboard, and I love how the BlackBerry passport keyboard shows the numbers and symbols on top without the need for me to press another button (which slows me down as I am typing).

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 11:03 PM
    I've had a couple devices. The November build was stiffer than the December one. The Nov softened up over time. The Dec was perfect out of the box.
    I've got mine born Dec. And yup, never felt any stiffness from the get go.
    Just smooth and I'm good at typing now after few weeks using it.
    And even getting better at typing without looking at the keyboard.

This, coming from a hardcore one year plus Z30 user who used to swiping all the way thru a conversation.

Posted via my SEXY RED PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    02-02-15 11:10 PM
    I've got mine born Dec. And yup, never felt any stiffness from the get go.
    Just smooth and I'm good at typing now after few weeks using it.
    And even getting better at typing without looking at the keyboard.

This, coming from a hardcore one year plus Z30 user who used to swiping all the way thru a conversation.

Posted via my SEXY RED PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    The December builds do have less stiff keys right from the start.
    02-02-15 11:18 PM
    They keyboard definitely breaks in. However, in cold climates my keyboard seems to be a little harder to push sometimes. Either way it's a great keyboard in my opinion. I'm glad they didn't go with full plastic. These keys feels like they have a little give or some kind of soft material on them.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 10:26 AM
    I love the Passport Keyboard, at first I thought it was not as efficient as the 9900 9000 etc keyboards but after using it a bit, breaking it in and getting used to the feel, it's now officially my favourite!

Type like a tornado in it now! he he
    RexdaleNap likes this.
    02-03-15 06:26 PM
    I love the Passport Keyboard, at first I thought it was not as efficient as the 9900 9000 etc keyboards but after using it a bit, breaking it in and getting used to the feel, it's now officially my favourite!

Type like a tornado in it now! he he
    Same it has really broken in, and now flys.
    03-12-15 09:56 PM
    It took me about 2 weeks to stop pressing the Z key (where the alt key should be). Love having my physical keyboard and the tactile feel back after spending 2 years with my Z10. Wouldn't change a thing.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 10:47 PM
30 12