Context:
    I'm considering upgrading my current device, a 9810, which I have used for over 3 years but is starting to show its age. I'm considering the Passport and the Classic. I use my BB mostly for messaging (long work email, travel assistant, BBM) and I just want a smartphone that works no gimmicks. I would like to consider a Passport, but I have questions on the keyboard; if the Passport won't do, I'll just take the Classic when it comes out next week.

Questions:

1. I'm concerned that the Passport's keyboard for email writing and editing and the absence of a SHIFT and ALT buttons. I write equations a lot, where alternative characters come in frequently (invoked with ALT), and where correct capitalisation is non-standard and must be done manually (with a SHIFT button); I also type in multiple languages (mostly English, French and German), where unusual characters like � and � need to be effortlessly typed. Finally and most importantly, mass selecting text and moving it around relies on a SHIFT button. How are these things done on a Passport by experienced users? And how easy is it to switch input languages?

2. The swipe up to autocomplete emails is really useful to me, but how accurate is this function? How well does it differentiate between (a) a swipe up, (b) normal finger movement during typing, and (c) moving the cursor to another position?

Thank you in advance for any and all answers on this matter
    12-10-14 03:39 AM
    Swipe up works really well. The more you use it the better it gets, haven't had any issues with swiping up while typing or typing while swiping.

Swiping down on the keyboard brings up the symbols with mapped keys which is very good! To have just the symbols up there is a button for this also, can type and use screen to punch out letters and symbols.

For me it was an easy transition to the keyboard, used 9900 / Z10 / Q10 in the past.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-10-14 05:31 AM
    I haven't had any issues with special characters. Swipe down on the keyboard once and you get a set, swipe down twice and you get the second set. Each special character is mapped to a key on the keyboard, which is useful if you only need one. If you need more than one, then you can just tap them on the touchscreen.

I had almost no issues transferring from the Q10, which is essentially the same keyboard as the Classic. It just took a couple of days to get used to the positioning of the space bar. If you think of the Passport keyboard like the virtual one from the Z series, then you shouldn't have any issues converting. You essentially use it like the BB10 virtual keyboard where you don't normally use the shift or alt keys.

Also, if you need to capitalize something, just hold the key down for half a second. It will capitalize for you.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    12-10-14 05:44 AM
    Formula writing is going to be a bit slower going until you get used to the positioning

A=B(C-D)+E
    See pictures for the quick symbol menus
    Passport keyboard vs Classic keyboard-img_20141210_065038.png

Passport keyboard vs Classic keyboard-img_20141210_065111.png

Text selection and movement is all pretty easy now to, the only trouble I have is if I need to start selecting something on the very far left of the screen
    See pics for idea of text selection features
    Passport keyboard vs Classic keyboard-img_20141210_065204.png
    Passport keyboard vs Classic keyboard-img_20141210_065214.png
    Passport keyboard vs Classic keyboard-img_20141210_065245.png

Posted via CB10

Language changing should be easy now with the auto detect language swiftkey keyboard, just add the languages you want in the settings menu
    Attachment 319798
    Bonjour madame, je suis pas un probl�me? Je suis en train de faire des
    Gl�ckliches und ich habe mich sehr gefreut dich nicht mehr als

Please note, the auto suggested word already comes with correct punctuation above letters

Attachment 319800
    Attachment 319801

Disclaimer: I dont know german at all, and only grade school french
    12-10-14 05:54 AM
    I went from Q10 to Passport, and to start with found typing slower on the Passport. I too write long emails. But now after almost 2 months when the device has been learning from me, I find that most of the text in my emails can be inserted by simply swiping from the 3 choices offered on the virtual screen. Love it!!!
    12-10-14 07:51 AM
    The 4 row classic keyboard would suit your needs better!

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 11:18 AM
    Thank you very much for putting the time to answer my question.

How is the text selection in the passport? With trackpad and SHIFT this is very easy and always precise. My husband has a Q10 and he's frustrated by the lack of a trackpad making text selection difficult. How is your experience?
    12-11-14 09:02 PM
    Thank you very much for putting the time to answer my question.

How is the text selection in the passport? With trackpad and SHIFT this is very easy and always precise. My husband has a Q10 and he's frustrated by the lack of a trackpad making text selection difficult. How is your experience?
    Double tap keyboard to bring up the cursor, then hold the shift button down with one hand and swipe along the keyboard with the other.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    Sallem likes this.
    12-11-14 09:14 PM
    You should get the Passport and your husband should check out the Classic! You will both be happy

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-11-14 09:15 PM
    Text selection on passport isn't great in regards to moving text around. The touch-sensitive keyboard makes the passport better than an all-touch device, but the passport does not compare well to a classic keyboard in this particular area. Shift, alt, trackpad, etc allow the classic keyboard to select, cut, paste, etc so much easier.

Go with a classic for your needs.

Posted via CB10
    frisettes likes this.
    12-11-14 11:47 PM