Hi everyone,

Now that I've owned my Passport for a week I thought I'd share some keyboard tips with everyone.

1. Holding shift while typing letters will allow you to type in all caps without actually engaging the Caps Lock, like this ASDFGH. As soon as you release shift you are back to normal typing.

2. Holding alt (@123) while typing letters will allow you to type special characters, numbers, symbols, etc. without engaging the alt lock, like this 0123#456. As soon as you release alt you are back to normal typing.

3. If you wish to insert a different letter than the default letter printed on the key, say a ?, you just press and hold the s key and then either tap on the virtual key you want, or tap on the physical s key until you highlight the desired special key and then just keep typing, like this, ?kola. Edit: thanks CB for not using unicode rendering. My special character does not show.

4. If you wish to delete more than one word at once by swiping back, you can open the virtual keys by pressing alt and then swipe with as many fingers as there are virtual rows to delete as many words.

5. Tap shift in order to change the virtual keys displayed on the quick select row. For example, the second character on the 4th virtual row is ', but if you press shift, you get ". Same rule applies when holding shift as discussed in 1 above.

6. Most efficient precision select is achieved by first positioning your cursor close to the spot you want to edit on the touch screen, and then using the keyboard as the trackpad. Remember, you need smooth motion for accurate fine cursor control.

7. Remember not to drag your fingers on the keyboard after precision select. Doing so will not only mess up your selection but it may wipe out all your hard work. Fine cursor control is still buggy.

8. Swiping down on the keyboard once, pulls up a virtual keyboard where all of the characters are mapped to the physical keys. Swiping down again, pulls up the second set of virtual keys, again mapped to physical. Finally, swiping down a third time will close the virtual keyboard.

9. Swiping down on the keyboard, then pressing and holding @123 while typing on the physical keyboard will keep the virtual keyboard active with mapping to the physical keys as long as you need. As soon as you let go of @123, the virtual keyboard will disappear. Note that this also works on the second set of virtual keys.

10. When typing, pressing a spacebar followed by a symbol, will insert a symbol followed by a space, exactly the same as first typing a symbol and then pressing a space.

11. If a word is autocorrected while typing, swiping back on the keyboard as though you want to erase the word will cause the autocorrected word to change back to its pre-correction state.

12. Pressing on any symbol (contextual row and currency) and holding it shows alternative symbols as well. Swipe left or right to highlight the appropriate symbol.

Enjoy! Also, please share your tips if I missed anything

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dejanh; 10-10-14 at 12:43 AM.
    10-07-14 02:06 AM
    Thanks for the tips. You led me to discover another one

"Alt lock" - hold the symbols key and it will lock, allowing you to type many numbers and symbols from the physical keyboard.

Posted on my Passport
    10-07-14 02:20 AM
    Nice tips! Thanks very sharing

Posted via CB10
    Ranadeep Roy likes this.
    10-07-14 02:20 AM
    Tips 3 and 5 just changed my life! Thanks!!!

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    10-07-14 02:21 AM
    The Cursor Control is easier if you know that Double Tapping the keyboard brings it up, and double tapping again turns it off.

In another thread I mentioned that when trying to get somewhere in Cursor Control, sliding your finger along one of the frets is a good guide. It helps me "land" where I mean to land.
    10-07-14 02:26 AM
    I've been gleaning all these various tips from Passort users , and copy/pasting them into a notepad of "Passport Tips", for when my PP arrives. Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 02:30 AM
    I've been gleaning all these various tips from Passort users , and copy/pasting them into a notepad of "Passport Tips", for when my PP arrives. Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    You're going to have so much fun getting to know it. While some people bemoaned "getting used to" the Passport, it's been so much fun for me. Usually when I get a new BlackBerry, it's basically the same as the one before. Getting used to my Z10 after years of BBOS phones was fun too, and also because it was my first touchscreen phone. But I've always loved the keyboards, and BlackBerry made the Passport keyboard SO fun to use. I've had my Passport since the 25th of September, but I am still not over how awesome it is. I love this phone.
    10-07-14 02:36 AM
    It took me ages to find out the Lock screen and the Home screen. Once I discovered them and saved with two different pictures.
    The fun started there. If you are in the car with the blue tooth switched on then the volume is muted on the videos on your phone.
    rememeber these little things.
    One other thing to remember is the Netflix App can't be downloaded on 10.3 Those of us with the sim only plan with Vodafone 7 gb data unlimited calls etc can't enjoy the Netflix or Sky sport 1 & 2. at least for the time being. Love the Passport
    10-07-14 05:22 AM
    Tip 4 changed my rule.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 06:19 AM
    Thank you so much for the tips. I love my Passport even more now.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 07:57 AM
    It took me ages to find out the Lock screen and the Home screen. Once I discovered them and saved with two different pictures.
    The fun started there. If you are in the car with the blue tooth switched on then the volume is muted on the videos on your phone.
    rememeber these little things.
    One other thing to remember is the Netflix App can't be downloaded on 10.3 Those of us with the sim only plan with Vodafone 7 gb data unlimited calls etc can't enjoy the Netflix or Sky sport 1 & 2. at least for the time being. Love the Passport
    The Netflix App can indeed be installed. I've been using it to watch scrubs on my Passport. Either use SNAP to download it or just Google Netflix APK and download/install it. Amazon app store is okay but if you can't find an App in there, either Google or use SNAP because you CAN indeed get the app 99.9% of the time.
    10-07-14 08:35 AM
    There's 2 important features missing that i use the most:

8. Swipe down on the keyboard, it does the same as @123 but you can select the symbol/number with your keybaord instead of virtual key, a bit like on the previous keybaords. This feature is killer once you get some muscle memory.

9. 2 Swipes down gives you the second page of symbols
    10-07-14 08:45 AM
    You're going to have so much fun getting to know it. While some people bemoaned "getting used to" the Passport, it's been so much fun for me. Usually when I get a new BlackBerry, it's basically the same as the one before. Getting used to my Z10 after years of BBOS phones was fun too, and also because it was my first touchscreen phone. But I've always loved the keyboards, and BlackBerry made the Passport keyboard SO fun to use. I've had my Passport since the 25th of September, but I am still not over how awesome it is. I love this phone.
    Totally agree. The Q10 was my first BB and I felt as excited and in love (still in love) with it as you are the PP now. Being a geek, I love new tech and I'm sooo looking forward to getting my PP and learning everything there is to know. A bit of a learning curve for sure, but it will be a fun and exciting adventure!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SharonRD; 10-07-14 at 11:36 AM.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    10-07-14 11:20 AM
    How do you select the alt key if it is not showing. For example in app where the refresh is coded to alt-L or Alt-R?
    10-07-14 11:31 AM
    can i ask you a favor? can you post the file/in a thread the tips you have so far? i know, kind of lazy on my part, but i can start collecting them after yours... if you don't mind that would be very helpful, thanks!

Posted via CB10
    shoaib shah likes this.
    10-07-14 11:42 AM
    Tip: pressing on any symbol (contextual row and currency) and holding it shows alternative symbols as well. Swipe left or right to highlight the appropriate symbol.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    Rolandxiii, II ARROWS and JGoodard like this.
    10-07-14 11:52 AM
    Awesome tips, there is definitely much to learn before one really takes full advantage of the magical keyboard.

I'm amazed at how fast I'm starting to get used to the mapping between the physical keys and their underlying special characters (so that you can swipe down and just press the key, without having to travel up to the virtual kb).

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 11:53 AM

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    10-07-14 12:02 PM
    Great tips, Thank you mate.

Hitch
    10-07-14 12:18 PM
    5. Tap shift in order to change the virtual keys displayed on the quick select row. For example, the second character on the 4th virtual row is ', but if you press shift, you get ". Same rule applies when holding shift as discussed in 1 above.
    Rule 1 doesn't apply on me...
    10-07-14 01:33 PM
    Tip: pressing on any symbol (contextual row and currency) and holding it shows alternative symbols as well. Swipe left or right to highlight the appropriate symbol.
    It works on question and exclamation mark too! To get the reverse one used in Spanish.
    Also, once you open the symbol selection, you can do the same on the dot to get the ellipsis.
    That works on parenthesis too! { [ ( and <
    Still no way to get this: �

But, if you have japanese keyboard, when you switch to it, you find 4 pages of symbols!
    Page 2 contains arrows, mathematical symbols and their "quotation marks" (「」), which by the way I think we should adopt too.
    Page 3 contains square root √, "very bigger then", "very smaller than", ℃ (as one symbol).
    Page 4 contains sexual symbols ♂♀, and measure unit as one symbol (㎜, ㎝, ㎏, ㎎, ㏄, ㎡ and ㎥), maiusc sigma ∑, pipe|...

Also, if you press shift and delete, you can delete the character on the right like on previous BlackBerry. Doesn't work with the swipe gesture.
    Last edited by II ARROWS; 10-07-14 at 02:34 PM.
    10-07-14 02:17 PM
    Thanks for that! I'm also compiling a list on Notepad.
    10-07-14 02:20 PM
    Good stuffs. Thanks OP and other contributors to the tips.

Cheers
    10-07-14 02:21 PM
    This thread deserves to be s sticky! Thanks OP.

Mods sticky icky this on.the quicky

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    10-07-14 02:27 PM
    This thread deserves to be s sticky! Thanks OP.

Mods sticky icky this on.the quicky

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    Done very useful tips from OP

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    10-07-14 09:44 PM
264 123 ...