I could type at 60-80 words per minute on BB Bold, and q10, but in my three hour use of passport in a demo device I found the keys stiff and hard to type. Also on all BB till date I've been able to type without looking down at the keyboard including on z30, but simply unable to do so on the passport. Any thoughts?
    10-22-14 09:48 PM
    I find I couldn't type without looking on my z10 or 30, passport is the first (naturally with my 9700 and 9900 I could do it too). And 3 hours was not enough time for me to become accustomed to the keyboard on my passport so I would suggest trying it for a day or 2 then re evaluate.

Posted on my snappy new passport!!
    10-22-14 09:53 PM
    After a few weeks of use, I have experienced exactly the opposite.

The keyboards do feel different, that's certain. What I notice is:

- The Passport keyboard keys are softer, though provide a satisfying push response... I prefer it to the Q10
    - My Q10 keys feel stiff by comparison... side by side to the Passport

Some talk about time required to break in, and that things soften up... though I don't know if that really holds truth.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 09:59 PM
    10-22-14 11:09 PM
    Takes time to get use to them. Then you fly. I find the keys are getting softer since I purchased it. Anyway I never looked back.

Posted via the Blackberry Passport
    10-22-14 11:12 PM
    It takes a while to get used to the size and keys placement, lack of alt and the small space bar. But soon you'll get really used to it, i'm not flying yet but I get better every day. And yes, keys do get softer with use, they are a bit stiff at the beginning.

Posted via my square wonder thingie
    10-22-14 11:56 PM
    As for speed, and being able to type without looking... that has taken me a few weeks to do. Just because you can do so on a previous qwerty device does not translate directly to this phone.

I predict it takes a couple to a few weeks to truly get used to the layout + VKB, before you can approach previous typing speeds. This is even for an experienced qwerty user.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 07:23 AM
    It takes a few weeks. They soften up. I'm surprised how soft they feel now. The learning curve is steep but once summited it's awesome.

Passport is heaven
    10-23-14 07:29 AM
    Keys on my 9900 are too small. But you are right: they are softer than the passport keys.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 09:17 AM
    The keys are fine, the issue is the non standard layout. the space bar is where b, n, m should be. After 2 weeks or so I still can't type without looking at the keyboard and I constantly hit the wrong (or rather correct) keys. muscle memory is a btch.
    10-23-14 06:24 PM
    Give it a week or two. It gets better with age! Mine are perfect now.
    10-23-14 06:27 PM
    My only complaint is that the space bar key feels different than all the rest (I don't mean location, I mean actual feel).
    10-23-14 06:34 PM
    I Any thoughts?
    The Passport keyboard is different than the Bold/Q10. Period.

Did you expect it to be the same ?
    Do you recall what your wpm was for the Bold after the first 3 hr usage on a demo device?

I don't understand why people compare the old BB keyboards to the BB Passport keyboard.

Just because it is a "qwerty" device does not mean it is identical to all previous qwerty devices !
    10-23-14 06:37 PM
    I actually like what feels like a deeper amount of key travel and extra clicky-ness in comparison to my 9900.
    However, my response to the PP key bevels slows me down because I keep tilting the PP down and back, making me press the entire bottom bezels with a broader part of my thumb. I think I mainly do this because the alphas appear a nice shiny silver this way.

I'm much faster--and the keys feel best--when I hold the PP at a sharp upwards tilt and aim for the center of the keys. The alphas appear a harder to read, darker grey at these angles and my natural response is to flatten the PP to make them more visible.

I haven't used my others bb phones enough to have any kind of muscle or symbol memory so my PP screen dependence really slows me down. I'm making a concerted effort to use the hybrid kb, but I've been shopping for appropriate pens, decals and labels to augment the physical keys if necessary.
    10-24-14 08:12 AM
    Stiffness will go away after a week

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 08:14 AM
    It will take a week or so before you fully get used to the Passport keyboard. A few hrs here and there will not endear you to the device, spend a few weeks with it and it will grow on you.

I'm almost a mth into my Passport and I can't put it down. And yes the keys were stiff when I first started using it but have now fully broken in.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 08:18 AM
    My only complaint is that the space bar key feels different than all the rest (I don't mean location, I mean actual feel).
    I second this. You can press other keys in the corner and they click, but to hit space bar, you actually need to hit the very centre or at least the center area of where a key would be - bearing in mind that space bar is exactly the size of two keys.
    I am almost thinking, it would've been better if they simply kept all the keys the same shape and feel, but there are two space keys where the space bar currently is. This would've made it much easier to hit space.

The whole reason why space bar is designed long is so that it can be hit easily from any angle, any direction etc. Passport space bar is actually harder to press than other keys.

I am getting used to it, but I am sure this is what caused a lot of initial adverse reaction. Key layout, you can adapt to, especially since it's not like a certain key layout is set in stone. It just happens that the more typical key layout is the one Blackberry has been using and not this time, so anyone can adapt to the new key layout in time.
    I am not as sure about the space bar. This one has to do with inherent ergonomics and whatnot.
    10-24-14 08:19 AM
    Passport keyboard is better than Q10 keyboard, just takes time

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 08:27 AM