I decided to put something together. since every one misses the alt and shift key
    let me know what you guys think of it. =)
    bigger space bar, alt key, shift key
    Passport keyboard concept-ali2k4-bb-keyboard.jpg
    Last edited by ali2k4; 11-07-14 at 03:57 PM.
    11-07-14 03:13 PM
    I don't need a hub key... im not sure I like the delete/shift part... but I do like the wider space bar
    11-07-14 03:30 PM
    Interesting concept, I like the hub key in the centre idea...pretty neat. I do miss the alt key, not so much as when I first got it but still would be handy to have an alt key.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 03:30 PM
    I decided to put something together. since every one misses the alt and shift key
    let me know what you guys think of it. =)
    It's a start. The position of the Alt and Shift keys does not work TBH. If you needed to press Alt + Z or Q or Shift + Enter or P, how would you do it?
    11-07-14 03:41 PM
    Not sure why you would need this as the hub is easy to access. I was never a fan of the old keyboards and found them fiddly to use but the Passport keyboard great.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 03:45 PM
    Why did we need a shift key? I've forgotten?
    Oddly still miss the 0?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 03:49 PM
    It's a start. The position of the Alt and Shift keys does not work TBH. If you needed to press Alt + Z or Q or Shift + Enter or P, how would you do it?
    well it can work the same way virtual keyboards work where you need to hit the shift key once and press the letter key you want in caps or hit alt key once and get the symbol/number you need. double tap to enter caps mode .
    11-07-14 03:56 PM
    Don't care for the hub key. Alt is definitely a plus.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 04:28 PM
    Thanks for sharing this, however myself I am absolutely happy with the present keyboard, I would only like to have wider the numbers of the virtual keyboard for easier Selection.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    11-07-14 04:35 PM
    Although I have not used a pkb, I have often looked at them and have always wondered why they ( and virtual keyboards as well) are still designed around two handed, ten finger typing. I believe that what is really needed is a more radically different keyboard that is designed around typing with one thumb....ie, the 'a' is about as far away from my thumb as it can get, and yet it is one of the most used letters, along with the 's' and the 'e'. Justifying these letters to the right side of the phone would definitely be helpful.

I understand that the passport is built on the concept of using two hands, however one "complaint " that often seems to come up is that it is nearly impossible to pop off quick texts one handed. From what I have read, this is more from the reach required than it is from the balance of the phone.

Therefore, a right-centric
    keyboard would allow this to be possible, and thus open up the left side for other function keys that are helpful when composing more structured emails or spreadsheets.

I know the passport is already off the charts in terms of design both in shape and keyboard (3 rows vs 4), and I applaud BlackBerry for bringing it forth. Both for going against the grain of "normal " phones and also continuing to produce it after the leaked photos of the screen that came out about a year ago which seemed to not get very favorable reviews at the time.

Still, it may be time for another leap forward, and I would think that a new keyboard format could be "easily" accomplished with the virtual keyboards on the all touch phones to start with. Maybe with it being an alternative, or an app that can be added.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 06:50 AM
    BlackBerry needs people like this...

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 07:00 AM
    For one handed texting, it would be nice if a diagnol swipe in toward the centre from the bottom corner of either side of the screen could bring up "Z10's" excellent virtual keyboard on that side of the screen.. maybe with the text showing on the other side or a translucent one optimised for one hand.

I love the pkb but could imagine on screen keyboards boosting my productivity.. a 2 finger swipe up from the bottom for a central on screen keyboard might be useful too.
    11-08-14 03:57 PM
    I'm a minimalist fan. The current keyboard look more cleaner and classier. Your concept looks good but looks a tad busy for my liking.
    11-08-14 04:16 PM
    Now that we are looking for a wider space bar and the return of alt and shift keys why couldn't we try a simple Q10 like layout with a fourth row (even less tall than the first 3 rows).
    It would only add 0.6 cm at the bottom and you wouldn't need any interaction with the virtual on-screen keyboard.
    That solution combined with an Art Lebedev like lcd keyboard (that would let you change the whole PKB to numbers or another language with a swipe or two) would be very innovative.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 04:25 PM
    This won't work. The delete key must be the last one on the 2nd row. That's a must. Also the alt key must be one the 3rd row.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 04:51 PM