Thank you for all your feedback and willingness to answer our questions! When you get the opportunity to test the device again, could you check what OS version the device is running? It's under Settings/About/(dropdown picker: OS). In addition, on the browser could you go on a desktop site and see if pinch to zoom works on the capacitive keyboard? Since the Passport is your first BlackBerry device you've used, how are you finding the OS' design and feel compared to the device you use?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 06:25 PM
    I don't know why you'd make this assumption, but you would be incorrect. I am just a regular joesixpack.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    The last thread with juicy details on the Passport got taken down, so I figured it means that BlackBerry condones this one, at the very least.

Actually, being a regular guy brings a useful perspective to evaluating the Passport. Once again, thank you very much for contributing, I think you've eased a lot of concerns.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-27-14 07:30 PM
    FWIW, the "?123" and shift keys on the virtual row (for persistent keymap toggles, as opposed to the transient ones you get with downswipe gesture and long-presses) should not be entirely without tactile+muscle_memory location, given that: A) you do have a row-separator fret between the physical keys and the vitual row, and B) they are always located at either flank of the row, as well as double the width of regular keys.

Can you confirm or refute this, pp4e?

As for a dedicated real comma key (some of us live in countries where decimal separation delimiter is a comma, rather than a point - will we lose the point to the virtual row, I wonder), it would be nice if BB10 could include a keymap editor, so that each user could decide which symbols are more important to them, personally, and place them accordingly. :7

(Also curious how enervating there only being ten rows, may be for many people internationally -- I have tried the non-nordic layout (10 rows, where the nordic has 11) on my Z30 a couple of times, and not having proper keys for frequently used umlauts, and instead having to bring them up the same ways as accents, is a really annoying stumbling block. :7)
    Can you simplify this question down to one sentence? I'd like to answer all questions, but I don't want to try this hard, lol.

07-27-14 10:58 PM
    Thank you for all your feedback and willingness to answer our questions! When you get the opportunity to test the device again, could you check what OS version the device is running? It's under Settings/About/(dropdown picker: OS). In addition, on the browser could you go on a desktop site and see if pinch to zoom works on the capacitive keyboard? Since the Passport is your first BlackBerry device you've used, how are you finding the OS' design and feel compared to the device you use?

Posted via CB10
    They had a quick start tutorial which taught me almost everything I needed to really know (did they have this before?). I like the swipe up to unlock or to leave an application, but sometimes I need to swipe up twice which is probably my biggest pet peeve as a new BB user. Thankfully, it seems that if you "fail" the first time and try a second time, it learns your intentions. I've never had to swipe up a third time.

You can't pinch to zoom on the keyboard, you do that on screen. The keyboard is a dedicated scroller, and a very good one at that.

07-27-14 11:04 PM
    They had a quick start tutorial which taught me almost everything I needed to really know (did they have this before?). I like the swipe up to unlock or to leave an application, but sometimes I need to swipe up twice which is probably my biggest pet peeve as a new BB user. Thankfully, it seems that if you "fail" the first time and try a second time, it learns your intentions. I've never had to swipe up a third time.
    This is the norm for all BlackBerry 10 devices. You can disable the swipe up to unlock in Settings > Display. You then unlock the screen via the button on top of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    pp4e likes this.
    07-28-14 12:08 AM
    Thanks for replying at all the questions.

Posted via my Q10
    07-28-14 02:45 AM
    Thanks for all the insights. Here's my burning question:

1.) Does the backspace accelerate when holding for a while?

On the virtual keyboard of the Z devices, holding it longer speeds up the deletion, it is smooth and quick.

On my Q10, deleting is very slow and a constant speed... holding the backspace erases noticeably slower than Z devices.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 12:27 PM

On the virtual keyboard of the Z devices, holding it longer speeds up the deletion, it is smooth and quick.

On my Q10, deleting is very slow and a constant speed... holding the backspace erases noticeably slower than Z devices.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    I'm curious - do you have a use case on the Z10 where you would hold to delete vs swiping to delete?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 01:47 PM
    I'm curious - do you have a use case on the Z10 where you would hold to delete vs swiping to delete?

Posted via CB10
    Yes - hold to delete is very fast, much faster than repeated 1, 2, or 3 finger erase gestures. So choosing to erase an entire sentence is a use case.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 02:04 PM
    Can you simplify this question down to one sentence? I'd like to answer all questions, but I don't want to try this hard, lol.
    :7

"Is it easy to *feel* you way to the shift and symbol keys on the "virtual row", without looking, despite their not being physical keys?"
    07-28-14 04:55 PM
    Yes - hold to delete is very fast, much faster than repeated 1, 2, or 3 finger erase gestures. So choosing to erase an entire sentence is a use case.

Posted via CB10
    I'll have to try that. I usually just have to delete a word or two. When I have to cut out more I use the tap and hold - but I don't think it stops at a single sentence - more to grab entire paragraphs.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 05:40 PM

Why should I scroll up in an app so that the "back" button appears on the bottom menu bar instead of hitting an always present back key?

Posted via CB10
    Or you can just swipe from the left to go back. This OS is all about swipes, why add another button? I see the track pad and call buttons are warranted but a back button would be (and currently is) a waste of space. There's back buttons both here in CB10 and in the Hub even though you swipe back. It's for all of the people whom can't get off Android. Can you not move on or what?

Double typed without the help of AutoCorrect. Q10, 10.2.1.2174
    07-28-14 09:50 PM
    Thank you for the info.
    Let me please ask you this.
    Since this is your "first BlackBerry ", on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this as a smartphone in general?

Z30 user and lover.
    07-28-14 10:48 PM
    Thank you for the info.
    Since this is your "first BlackBerry ", on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this as a smartphone in general?

Z30 user and lover.
    Was thinking the same..

Knowing from OP experience and how the way you tell us and answering the questions. I believe your assesment, so me and few ppl here so curious.. how would you rate this device in general based on your needs.

Drooling for BlackBerry Passport!
    07-29-14 01:09 AM

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    I haven't tried this, I'll have to see. But honestly, I don't think you really need it. If you swipe left, you delete an entire word. If you need to delete more than a word, you can double tap for the cursor and drag and delete. I can delete faster on the Passport than my S5, by a very comfortable margin actually.

07-29-14 07:35 AM
    :7

"Is it easy to *feel* you way to the shift and symbol keys on the "virtual row", without looking, despite their not being physical keys?"
    Honest opinion, I'm still getting used to it. I don't press shift for the virtual keys, I swipe down for that. I haven't memorized the key maps yet though.

07-29-14 07:37 AM
    Thank you for the info.

Z30 user and lover.
    I honestly though I was gonna hate it, but I've been pleasantly surprised. I thought the OS was going to be garbage, but it flows really nicely. I really like the hub. I read a lot of emails and web articles on my phone, and there isn't a single device that does this better for me than the Passport, and that includes the Note 3. I've never liked opening PDFs on other phones, and I've never even attempted opening up PP presentations, but I can easily see myself doing this on the Passport everyday. The battery life is awesome. I can go 2 days without charging the phone, and I use it pretty heavily. My biggest dislike is the absence of a comma keymap, which isn't actually that big of a deal. I'd probably give the phone 9.0-9.5 out of 10. If they somehow manage to make a holster that WORKS for this phone, I'll probably give it a 10 because the one thing I hate most on phones are cases. A holster would make this perfect for me.

Picking the phone up from the table is literally effortless, my fingers fall right over the edges unlike with some other phones. The thickness is about the same as a Nexus 5, for those concerned about that sort of stuff.

So yeah, a 9.0-9.5 out of 10 for sure. Close to a 10 with functional accessories. All subjective ratings though.

07-29-14 07:51 AM
    Reading my own responses, I sound like some Blackberry geek. It's kind of weird, haha.

Also, another thing I want to do is use this phone as an e-reader. And I'd actually probably reserve my rating to a 9.5 MAXIMUM after thinking about it. I'll give it a 10 when they have holster and dual SIM capabilities.

Last edited by pp4e; 07-29-14 at 08:29 AM.
    m1kr0 and IrwanAriWibowo like this.
    07-29-14 07:56 AM
    I honestly though I was gonna hate it, but I've been pleasantly surprised. I thought the OS was going to be garbage, but it flows really nicely. I really like the hub. I read a lot of emails and web articles on my phone, and there isn't a single device that does this better for me than the Passport, and that includes the Note 3. I've never liked opening PDFs on other phones, and I've never even attempted opening up PP presentations, but I can easily see myself doing this on the Passport everyday. The battery life is awesome. I can go 2 days without charging the phone, and I use it pretty heavily. My biggest dislike is the absence of a comma keymap, which isn't actually that big of a deal. I'd probably give the phone 9.0-9.5 out of 10. If they somehow manage to make a holster that WORKS for this phone, I'll probably give it a 10 because the one thing I hate most on phones are cases. A holster would make this perfect for me.

Picking the phone up from the table is literally effortless, my fingers fall right over the edges unlike with some other phones. The thickness is about the same as a Nexus 5, for those concerned about that sort of stuff.

So yeah, a 9.0-9.5 out of 10 for sure. Close to a 10 with functional accessories. All subjective ratings though.

I'm somewhat concerned about the "absence of a comma keymap". Commas are used very frequently and while I in general don't mind the idea of reaching for the virtual row, if I can do without that by learning the mapping then I definitely would want to have the ability. Can you elaborate how the current setup works in a bit more detail? Is the comma the only key with this issue?

07-29-14 08:48 AM
    I can't wait to have this device. I want to buy this at day 1 but I fear some problem and bugs like the first iteration of Z10.

Posted via my Q10
    dejanh likes this.
    07-29-14 08:48 AM
    Pp4e, thank you very much for the in depth description of the Passport's keyboard. Great thread!

Just wondering about text input of non-Latin alphabet languages with the Passport, in particular Chinese and Russian languages. By any chance can you give some input.

Thanks again

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 09:09 AM
    One thing about the lack of a dedicated comma key though, if 20 zillion IPhone users can manage, surely us superior BlackBerry users will get it dialed pretty quickly eh....!

Z30 user and lover.
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    07-29-14 09:29 AM
    One thing about the lack of a dedicated comma key though, if 20 zillion IPhone users can manage, surely us superior BlackBerry users will get it dialed pretty quickly eh....!

Z30 user and lover.
    There is a reason an iPhone was never my primary device, comma of course not being the only reason.

07-29-14 09:31 AM
    Honest opinion, I'm still getting used to it. I don't press shift for the virtual keys, I swipe down for that. I haven't memorized the key maps yet though.
    So, instead of making capitalize letters you insert symbols?
    Seems logic.
    07-29-14 10:56 AM
    So, instead of making capitalize letters you insert symbols?
    Seems logic.
    Rude. I misread, no need for your sarcasm.

I respond when I'm on the go. I don't have a lot of time to go back and reread things multiple times. I apologize if this thread upsets you though. Now please, you can show yourself out.

Rowan M, dejanh, spike12 and 6 others like this.
    07-29-14 11:06 AM
183 ... 5678