Apologies in advance if I'm misinterpreting your question.

Your alt/symbol key doesn't bring the lettered keyboard to the top, so you'd have to use the physical keyboard for any letters (I'm not sure if this was something you were implying).

As you introduce more characters, you will have to do the dance more as you would also do on a virtual keyboard. I type super fast on a touchscreen phone, probably faster than anyone else I know, and I can type that formula faster on the Passport than on a touch screen, and I'm not even used to keyboards yet, so I'll only get faster at it.

Not sure if I answered you question though.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Thank you very much!
    Yes, you did get it completely right, and yes I didn't mean that the letters will appear on the screen, just that I will have to switch between the screen and physical keyboard.

I made a little edit in the previous post, and it's probably even faster the way I described it there.

Also thanks for your personal impression, it's a pretty important one if it comes from someone who didn't use a physical keyboard phone before.

Can't wait for the device to be launched!
    (oh btw, do you have any idea about the launch window? )

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 02:21 AM
    Sorry. I'm unable to download games on it for testing. I wish I could answer this question but I'm unable to do so at the moment.

Thanks for replying. I've been reading your responses to all the other queries and based on them, feel that my decision to get the Passport has been validated. Thanks again, very informative.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    07-27-14 02:29 AM
    To the guy who uses numbers 50% of the time in his work; if this is true and you use numbers that often, I guarantee that this keyboard will boost your efficiency.
    Highly doubt it would be any faster on the virtual keyboard than on the QWERTY; I already pound out words and numbers faster than anyone on a all touch device. It would however be less efficient due to not being able to blind type, which I do a lot of.

I might end up getting the Passport even with the QWERTY keyboard shortcomings. The larger screen and battery life certainly make up for the quick instances where I'll not be able to blind type. However, I'll won't be making it a day one purchase; I'll be using my Q10 until it breaks down and the Passport sees a very deep price cut before I make the switch. And who knows, maybe by then they'll have the Passport 2 with a fully featured QWERTY keyboard on the road map.

Thank you for all the info.

Posted via CB10
    hassanalusi and Katika99 like this.
    07-27-14 03:08 AM
    Im getting a Q10 to get used to the keyboard....and when this passport comes im definitely going to buy it, thanks for all the info !
    Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro1_231 using Tapatalk
    07-27-14 07:34 AM
    I think the OP has done more to sell the Passport than John Chen. He should be hired by blackberry's marketing team.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt, dmlis and Gykesdollars like this.
    07-27-14 08:38 AM
    How did you get the passport?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 08:44 AM
    I never had that "accidental alt" happen to me. I think if you swipe down and end with a button press, it's smart enough to know that you don't need the alt window.

To the guy who uses numbers 50% of the time in his work; if this is true and you use numbers that often, I guarantee that this keyboard will boost your efficiency.

Well concerning your last paragraph it's noteworthy to keep in mind you stated that the Passport is the first BlackBerry you have ever used so you can't draw a conclusion whether the Passport will boost efficiency opposed to a traditional QWERTY BlackBerry. And tbh I highly doubt it concerning number typing. On a traditional QWERTY BlackBerry you press and hold ALT with your left thumb while typing out the numbers with the right. I don't see the Passport beating that. But I will give the Passport a chance since my daily use doesn't require typing out 50 to 100 phone numbers....
    hassanalusi likes this.
    07-27-14 09:22 AM
    Well concerning your last paragraph it's noteworthy to keep in mind you stated that the Passport is the first BlackBerry you have ever used so you can't draw a conclusion whether the Passport will boost efficiency opposed to a traditional QWERTY BlackBerry. And tbh I highly doubt it concerning number typing. On a traditional QWERTY BlackBerry you press and hold ALT with your left thumb while typing out the numbers with the right. I don't see the Passport beating that. But I will give the Passport a chance since my daily use doesn't require typing out 50 to 100 phone numbers....
    Off topic, but I have to correct you. The most efficient way of typing numbers on a traditional Blackberry QWERTY is to num-lock your keyboard with Alt+Shift. No need to hold Alt.

07-27-14 09:34 AM
    Thanks OP for all your responses.

I really feel, based on all I've seen and read, that the Passport is going to bring the best of what I like about the pkb and vkb together. Now just to get one in my hands to see how it feels!

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 10:01 AM
    Off topic, but I have to correct you. The most efficient way of typing numbers on a traditional Blackberry QWERTY is to num-lock your keyboard with Alt+Shift. No need to hold Alt.

Actually it is long-pressing alt (2sec) and release and it num locks alt for number and symbol input. I also use the press alt and maintain, breaking the long press with each number inserted so it does not num lock and I can continue with letter input. When working formulas I num lock.

So, I think that in that respect, the passport may even be helpful and maybe -just maybe- better, if it does not mean a cramped screen. That is why I am now 100% sure I need hands-on prior to being certain on it.

Thanks again op, honestly the info provided is on point and really clarifying the most important details we have not had info about.

(since Bla1ze does/can not disclose a full review of *his* passport :P)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 07-28-14 at 12:37 AM.
    07-27-14 10:23 AM
    Rq

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 10:28 AM
    At first it did because I didn't know where it was. Having reach up for it requires a slight learning curve for sure, but luckily it's close to the keyboard so over time I don't see it being a problem. I use commas quite frequently in my sentences as well.

Awesome, thanks for answering!

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-27-14 10:33 AM
    I think the OP has done more to sell the Passport than John Chen. He should be hired by blackberry's marketing team.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure this thread has been sanctioned by JC, maybe in response to the earlier mega-thread regarding the "missing" physical keys.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-27-14 10:47 AM

I know, I never used that tho. It's press and hold for a second to be able to type numbers two-thumbed, then deactivate it with another button press. Not my way.
    07-27-14 11:08 AM
    How did you get the passport?

Posted via CB10
    Why would you ask this question?

wincyUt likes this.
    07-27-14 03:23 PM
    On the Passport you don't have to hold alt, and the numbers are in numpad format for you to use two thumbs on instead of one. I was comparing it to touchscreen phones though, and I type 100+wpm on my phone and I still can't type numbers faster than I can on the Passport. I would imagine holding down shift on legacy BB keyboards and having the numbers in a row instead of numpad format would slow you down compared to how it is on the Passport. Of course, this is just my opinion from my time with it. I guess you'll have to see for yourself.

I tested typing a string of numbers on an S5 and the Passport and numpad definitely trumps numrow, at least for me. Speed is undoubtedly faster on the Passport for numbers.

07-27-14 03:27 PM
    I'm sure this thread has been sanctioned by JC, maybe in response to the earlier mega-thread regarding the "missing" physical keys.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    I don't know why you'd make this assumption, but you would be incorrect. I am just a regular joesixpack.

spike12, Dmessenger and notnomde like this.
    07-27-14 03:29 PM
    Not quite a keyboard question, but how does it feel in your back pocket? For instance if wearing jeans, is it comfortable to walk with it in the pocket?

edit: a kb question too.. is there a gesture to unlock the screen from the kb?
    07-27-14 03:29 PM
    Not quite a keyboard question, but how does it feel in your back pocket? For instance if wearing jeans, is it comfortable to walk with it in the pocket?
    I never tried it in my back pocket, but it fits perfectly fine in my front pocket. This was a big concern for me as well and was the first thing I tested. Thankfully, it's a non issue for me.

I don't know about gesture. I'll have to see. I just swipe up on screen.

spike12 likes this.
    07-27-14 03:31 PM
    hmmm... now.. the app format.. I hope we can have a choice between 1:1 app or 16:9 to play an app...

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 03:37 PM
    I never tried it in my back pocket, but it fits perfectly fine in my front pocket. This was a big concern for me as well and was the first thing I tested. Thankfully, it's a non issue for me.

Can you check your PM please?

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 03:37 PM

Would it be possible for you to see how popular apps such as snapchat work on the Passport?
    07-27-14 04:07 PM
    I would imagine holding down shift on legacy BB keyboards and having the numbers in a row instead of numpad format would slow you down compared to how it is on the Passport.
    All legacy BlackBerry keyboard phones have numbers in the numpad format on the hardware keyboard, not a dedicated row like many other hardware keyboard phones years ago.

Attachment 287321

Attachment 287322
    07-27-14 04:44 PM
    FWIW, the "?123" and shift keys on the virtual row (for persistent keymap toggles, as opposed to the transient ones you get with downswipe gesture and long-presses) should not be entirely without tactile+muscle_memory location, given that: A) you do have a row-separator fret between the physical keys and the vitual row, and B) they are always located at either flank of the row, as well as double the width of regular keys.

Can you confirm or refute this, pp4e?

As for a dedicated real comma key (some of us live in countries where decimal separation delimiter is a comma, rather than a point - will we lose the point to the virtual row, I wonder), it would be nice if BB10 could include a keymap editor, so that each user could decide which symbols are more important to them, personally, and place them accordingly. :7

(Also curious how enervating there only being ten rows, may be for many people internationally -- I have tried the non-nordic layout (10 rows, where the nordic has 11) on my Z30 a couple of times, and not having proper keys for frequently used umlauts, and instead having to bring them up the same ways as accents, is a really annoying stumbling block. :7)
    07-27-14 04:49 PM
    Most new password requirements include capital and small letters with symbols and numbers, and to be 6 to 8 keys long.

Is it convenient to enter a mixed string for secure passwords?

Qwerty is great. Virtual is great. How's hybrid doing?

Q10 On Steroids running on pure Awesomeness
    07-27-14 04:58 PM
183 ... 45678