It's a hybrid dude, a new form factor. Deal with it!
    wincyUt likes this.
    07-25-14 06:10 PM
    Had the Passport been designed with a fully featured QWERTY keyboard it would be a day one buy for me; but as it stands the Passport is a fail for me, a very big fail. And before anyone says it; no, I will not be buying the classic. I neither want nor need the tool bar with a track pad. The only reason the classic is even being released if to appease the countless and senseless legacy users that are unwilling to learn BB10 as it was designed and as it beautifully works already.
    I understand and appreciate your sentiments, but I also understand and appreciate what BlackBerry is trying to do. The Passport might not be for me, but that doesn't mean I'm going to overlook the fact that it might be a very good fit for others. It definitely peaks my interest still. So, I question, why is there an apparent level of hostility. On the one hand I understand, it would seem, you want BB to be the best it can be, the greatest, the king, the ultimate device, you want it so bad. But, there's an apparent flaw that means it won't work for you. Now your upset about it, it appears, and I kinda appreciate that.

But, I do ask that you appreciate that the Passport might be so perfect for others. Their so called ultimate device. And, ultimately BB can't make a custom device for everyone. With having said that, I really do hope BB gets back to a point where it can offer every flavour of phone to suite everyone's needs. I'd like to see a new Z10, a new Q10, a new Z30, along with the Passport and Classic. They used to be like this, and one day I hope they can be again but I understand their current situation.

On topic, OP, you are awesome, I greatly appreciate the info. Thank You.
    Thunderbuck and Rowan M like this.
    07-25-14 06:24 PM
    I understand and appreciate your sentiments, but I also understand and appreciate what BlackBerry is trying to do. The Passport might not be for me, but that doesn't mean I'm going to overlook the fact that it might be a very good fit for others. It definitely peaks my interest still. So, I question, why is there an apparent level of hostility. On the one hand I understand, it would seem, you want BB to be the best it can be, the greatest, the king, the ultimate device, you want it so bad. But, there's an apparent flaw that means it won't work for you. Now your upset about it, it appears, and I kinda appreciate that.

But, I do ask that you appreciate that the Passport might be so perfect for others. Their so called ultimate device. And, ultimately BB can't make a custom device for everyone. With having said that, I really do hope BB gets back to a point where it can offer every flavour of phone to suite everyone's needs. I'd like to see a new Z10, a new Q10, a new Z30, along with the Passport and Classic. They used to be like this, and one day I hope they can be again but I understand their current situation.

On topic, OP, you are awesome, I greatly appreciate the info. Thank You.
    There's no hostility, I just don't sugar coat my words and some people don't like that. If anything I'm just getting tired of the bashing I get in return when I point out a logical and apparent flaw in the device some here have fallen in love with. They start acting as if I told them that their wife is ugly and the easiest ride in town. Sheesh, someone of you people need to lay off and just accept constructive criticism.

And yes, pointing out the fact that it's over complicated to type a long string of numbers is constructive criticism. Deal with it.

Posted via CB10
    garrett1972 likes this.
    07-25-14 06:55 PM
    Can you keep the cursor on screen while you are typing?
    Or is it that once you type, you then have to double-tap on the keyboard again, every single time?

And thx for answering the questions.
    That the Vkeys are mapped to the Hkeys was very important for me.

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    07-25-14 07:24 PM
    This will be my first blackberry phone. So I want to know, does this phone has text reflow? I have checked out Q10 and that phone doesn't have this feature. So with new software BB10.3 I guess it must have as its makes reading easier.
    07-25-14 08:04 PM
    My question to the OP is -how's the video quality of the device...also how about pic quality- can you post a pic that's been taken by it? Thanks.

Also can you add a shortcut gestures on the keyboard -for example if you create a circle with your finger = opens up the weather app or something like that ? Maybe a square for the calculator etc?

Also can you try and run a few apps -maybe a game like Temple Run or something that'll take some power going just to test if the device's heating up under heavy usage ?

Also what about the back -how would you describe the new material ? Do you leave fingerprints on it or it's fingerprints free ? Thanks in advance.
    07-25-14 08:09 PM
    Is there any way to use the keyboard as a sort of mouse pointer? There was a video from the help setup showing a yellow circle on the screen that acted as a sort of cursor controlled by the keyboard. Is there any way to use this to control the device, say in the Web browser or docs to go? If you don't have a text field open and you double tap the keyboard does anything happen?

I am really hoping for this feature, on legacy devices you could use the scroll pad as a mouse cursor while browsing and this would be great for navigating links on webpages, particularly those not optimised for mobile.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 08:20 PM
    This is something I've thought about as well. Tapping on a glass screen affords a fast typing experience. Physically pressing keys does slow things down somewhat from my experience.

However - how do you think this could be implemented? The "double-tap" to bring up cursor control/trackpad functionality of the keyboard would need to be changed... since tap-typing would interrupt this.
    Do some of you really listen to yourselves when you speak? Some of the '2 sense' and request in the forums simply do not make any sense whatsoever.

Guys think for a minute... the entire point of having physical keys is to press to type. You even have to press virtual keys to type. Why would you have physical keys and expect not to press to type? Oh, I get it...you just want to hover over the letter to have it appear on screen....
    07-25-14 08:33 PM
    My issue isn't the ocasional long string of number such as phone numbers. My issue is that I do this for anywhere between 50 to 100 phone numbers a day for work. I put people's names and numbers into the Remember app to create lists that keep me organized. So the fact that I would have to switch from hardware to software keyboard constantly is not acceptable.

The point of having a hardware keyboard is to type on the hardware keyboard. The comment about thinking of this device as a Hybrid is just asinine. A QWERTY device already sacrifices screen real estate for the convenience of a fully featured QWERTY keyboard that you can use blindfolded after enough practice. Sacrificing screen real estate twice because the QWERTY keyboard was forcefully gimped on purpose is just ridiculous.

Had the Passport been designed with a fully featured QWERTY keyboard it would be a day one buy for me; but as it stands the Passport is a fail for me, a very big fail. And before anyone says it; no, I will not be buying the classic. I neither want nor need the tool bar with a track pad. The only reason the classic is even being released if to appease the countless and senseless legacy users that are unwilling to learn BB10 as it was designed and as it beautifully works already.

Posted via CB10
    You realize you don't have to buy or use this phone, Passport, right? What's all the complaining. SMH.
    Junius Butler likes this.
    07-25-14 09:12 PM
    Please cut out the name calling. I am not in the mood.

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    07-25-14 11:05 PM
    This ^^

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 11:06 PM
    One thing I noticed is that there is no physical map for commas, but it's on the bottom row of the virtual keyboard anyway so it's not difficult to find. Would've liked a shortkey though. Personal preference!

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Thanks for the Q&A!

I would also prefer a dedicated comma key because I do punctuate my sentences, where appropriate (struggling with the hidden comma on iOS at the moment). Do you find that reaching up for the screen to enter commas breaks your typing rhythm?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    SenorPistachio likes this.
    07-25-14 11:18 PM
    hey you motherPassport loving person you!! lol...that's name calling right? OP Thank you for the indepth hands on...I learnt some things I havent seen posted anywhere else...keep the updates coming..
    07-25-14 11:24 PM
    can you give it another shot and see if the mouse pointer can trigger the drop down menu in a web page?
    07-25-14 11:26 PM
    I took you seriously up until you mentioned the ability to type without pressing the keys. If you do not want a keyboard, do not purchase a device with a keyboard. The gestures wouldn't make sense if you could type without pressing the keys. The point of a keyboard is to feel the real thing.

It's very apparent you haven't owned a Blackberry.

Sincerely

A proud Q10 user.
    07-26-14 12:52 AM
    What you are calling others are out of minds? without trying or even touching the phone?

I'm sorry, but whoever thinks this device is the second coming of BlackBerry is out of their damn minds.

Is having a freaking dedicated shift and alt key so much to ask for? Especially on such a freaking wide device??? Way to go BlackBerry, you've blown it again.

Posted via CB10
    gnirkatto likes this.
    07-26-14 01:01 AM
    You have to press Alt & Shift together and then swipe down on the virtual and physical keyboard at the same time for an alternate keyboard layout which displays a single 0.

Posted via CB10
    I thought it was ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
    07-26-14 01:32 AM
    Do you work for BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 03:05 AM
    LOL this is the super combo for full email automated composition via A.I

On the serious side, OP thank you very much for all the info that shed light on some really important points of interest!
    keep it up pls
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-26-14 04:02 AM
    Senseless legacy users unwilling to learn bb10? Please, bud! Ive had the Z10 and Q10 since the first week they were available. I'm not unwilling to learn BB10, in fact I know it extremely well. What you and toolbelt haters fail to understand is that the addition of the toolbelt enhances functionality because its simply a convenient shortcut for common actions done on a PHONE.

[..]
    I havent even touched on text editing because I'm fine with BB10's implementation, but this is huge for alot of people.
    AHAHAAHAHAH
    Text editing is the only thing that really makes a difference with the trackpad... everything else is nitpicking at best.
    Cool, but not necessary.

Then get a Classic! What do you want?!
    The tactile keyboard, a big screen and a powerful device with a real keyboard.
    That could have been easily achieved, if BB didn't favorite looks on functionality.
    Last edited by II ARROWS; 07-26-14 at 04:54 AM.
    07-26-14 04:43 AM
    AHAHAAHAHAH
    Text editing is the only thing that really makes a difference with the trackpad... everything else is nitpicking at best.
    Cool, but not necessary.

The tactile keyboard, a big screen and a powerful device with a real keyboard.
    That could have been easily achieved, if BB didn't favorite looks on functionality.

For the population that lives in climates that get winter (about half of North America and much of Europe), and thus wear gloves for months of the year when outside, the trackpad makes your phone functional again without getting frostbite or buying gloves with special fibers sown into the fingertips (that don't always work perfectly)

The trackpad is also good for selecting targets on web pages.

I'm surprised you say the BB favored looks over functionality, when one of passport's main criticisms is that it's ugly.
    iamagod likes this.
    07-26-14 08:16 AM
    Here's ,a quick question.
    How "noisy " is the key board?
    I often bang out emails in bed much to the annoyance of my lovely wife.
    If this thing is "clicky", and loud, my wife certainly won't be happy....

Z30 user and lover.
    shupor likes this.
    07-26-14 08:36 AM
    Thank you to the OP for the plethora of information and responses to everyone's questions.

ZeroBarrier: I just want to make sure... are you having the number input issue on the virtual keyboard currently as well?

Also, I think it would be fair for you to at least thank the OP for answering all your questions while dealing with your doom and gloom like responses.

Finally, I believe the Classic is being released to realign older enterprise users with BlackBerry's newer offerings. Plus the POTUS wants a new BlackBerry with a tool belt since John Chen visited the white house. That's what I think.
    Last edited by Kamika007z; 07-28-14 at 09:53 PM.
    07-26-14 08:53 AM
    Dude! Don't post that here!! That's the lightning combo!!!

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-26-14 09:06 AM
    Here's ,a quick question.
    How "noisy " is the key board?
    I often bang out emails in bed much to the annoyance of my lovely wife.
    If this thing is "clicky", and loud, my wife certainly won't be happy....

Z30 user and lover.
    ^^^ This!!!

One of the reasons why i slowly migrated away from physical keyboards
    07-26-14 09:24 AM
183 12345 ...