I haven't seen anybody mention this yet, so I wanted to share a tip with everybody that I discovered today while playing with the Passport keyboard in a store.

For anybody that has a BB10 device with a virtual keyboard, this should be familiar:
    - Pressing the punctuation/number button switches the keyboard layout allowing you to enter an unlimited number of punctuation and/or numbers. To get back to entering letters, you press the letter button.
    - Alternatively, swiping down on the virtual keyboard also switches the layout allowing you to enter a number or punctuation. However, doing it this way only allows you to select one (i.e. punctuation/number) before the layout changes back to letter mode.

The above also works on the Passport.
    - Pressing the number/punctuation button on the touchscreen brings up the punctuation/number layout allowing you to enter unlimited numbers and/or punctuation via the touchscreen. The image below should be familiar to everyone. To get back to entering letters, you select the letter button on the touchscreen and the layout changes back.

Passport keyboard - alternate way to enter a number or punctuation-passport-keyboard-virtual-button-version.jpg

- However, if you swipe down on the keys, this also brings up the punctuation/number mode on the screen, but there is a difference. I have attached a pic below so you can compare to the one above. You will notice that the QWERTY keyboard layout is superscripted in the top right corner. This means that instead of touching the screen to get the number '2', I can just push the 's' key to get the same result. After selecting one number/punctuation, it will automatically switch the keyboard back to entering only characters, just like on the virtual BB10 keyboard.

Passport keyboard - alternate way to enter a number or punctuation-passport-keyboard-swipe-down-version.jpg

I decided to share this because I have been reading and hearing some complaints that people's typing efficiency has slowed compared to their speed on a traditional BlackBerry keyboard because their fingers have to leave the keys to select a number/punctuation onscreen and then travel back down to the keys. However, if you are only entering one number/punctuation, it seems that the 'swipe down' method is quicker and easier since your fingers can stay on the keys.

I don't have a Passport yet, but I would be interested to know from the people who do if you think this will improve your typing speed/efficiency.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ryeguyyyc; 10-01-14 at 06:02 PM.
    10-01-14 05:01 PM
    Nice, thanks

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 05:55 PM
    I like how they set it up. But, the one thing is I haven't used it enough to be familiar with the keyboard mapping. It still takes a moment to go "ok the 9 is the V" and then I push F cause of the extra row still showing on the screen. So its still a little slower having to think which is which. Overall, I'm faster on it then I thought I would be after using it a few days and I'm sure I will get even faster as I get more familiar.
    10-01-14 07:23 PM
    nice sharing but I have one more thing to share! when you swipe down on the physical keyboard on passport, the virtual number keyboard appears as you said. but at this time, we have choice to enter the number once or type the numbers/punctuation unlimited which means you can enter the numbers with physical keyboard continuously.

all we need to know is swipe down and see the virtual keyboard-------------push and hold the icon on the bottom-right of the screen(the same button can hide the virtual keyboard, but don't just tap it, but hold it for a second)----------seems nothing happened, but now when you type the numbers using the physical keyboard, the virtual keyboard won't disappear.
    JeBe4 likes this.
    01-19-15 09:53 AM
    Hi, thank you for the trick. I have one more question about the customization of the keyboard's layout : is it possible to type letters with the virtual keyboard ?

the point is my keys are broken, so i can't type my password to unlock the phone.

Maybe there might be a solution to change the layout of the virtual keyboard and type letters with it...?

Thanks for your help, and thank you Crackberry !
    David
    09-15-15 10:43 AM
    Hi, thank you for the trick. I have one more question about the customization of the keyboard's layout : is it possible to type letters with the virtual keyboard ?

the point is my keys are broken, so i can't type my password to unlock the phone.

Maybe there might be a solution to change the layout of the virtual keyboard and type letters with it...?

Thanks for your help, and thank you Crackberry !
    David
    How did you break your keys?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 11:02 AM
    pouring rain. MAybe i can save pics thanks to the software even if the cell phone is locked? because i have to enter password to take control of it with both i think (bb link or blend)
    09-15-15 12:22 PM
    I think there's a thread that goes on details of keyboard tips for Passport.

Just Fyi, if you would want to continuously enter the numbers and symbols using physical keyboard, then keep the @123 virtual button pressed for a few seconds, then you can enter all the numbers using your physical keyboard and its not limited to one entry.

Check this thread for example:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965730

Posted via CB10 using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    09-15-15 01:48 PM
    I've been meaning to ask this for quite some time now but keep forgetting.
    How can I get the temperature symbol? Like 48 degrees ?
    On the Passport

Thanks.

'Love your curves and all your edges, All your perfect imperfections' BBPPSE
    09-15-15 03:10 PM
    I hope next os update they feature two finger swipe down. so it locks on..

 вιaсĸвεггч ᕵαssρσяτ: ⓢⓘⓛⓥⓔⓡ
    09-15-15 03:40 PM
    It took me some time to swipe down on kb and use letters to select punctuations but I got there and now I love it.

That being said I still get confused only when using calculator app...

Passport 
    09-15-15 03:46 PM
    I hope next os update they feature two finger swipe down. so it locks on..

 вιaсĸвεггч ᕵαssρσяτ: ⓢⓘⓛⓥⓔⓡ
    By the way if you have the virtual keyboard expanded, you can swipe left to delete words too. The difference is that you can use the combination of fingers to delete as many words. For eg, two fingers swipe will delete last two words and so on.

Posted via CB10 using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    09-15-15 04:43 PM