Alright - so I've had my Passport for a full day now, and while I really like it for the most part, I do wish that they'd gone with a more traditional keyboard like the Q10.

Punctuation and numbers just isn't as polished as a normal keyboard Would have been. I get that this layout was to save a row of keys and maximize screen size, but I really think that there could have been a better solution.

The touch sensitive aspect is AWESOME, but they could have done that with a normal keyboard layout as well.

Overall, I'm happy with the Passport, but I miss the keyboard on my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 04:13 PM
    Alright - so I've had my Passport for a full day now, and while I really like it for the most part, I do wish that they'd gone with a more traditional keyboard like the Q10.

Punctuation and numbers just isn't as polished as a normal keyboard Would have been. I get that this layout was to save a row of keys and maximize screen size, but I really think that there could have been a better solution.

The touch sensitive aspect is AWESOME, but they could have done that with a normal keyboard layout as well.

Overall, I'm happy with the Passport, but I miss the keyboard on my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    q10 was dope until i had the consistent and frustrating restart issue when bumped due to a poorly designed battery compartment.

i got used to bb10 when at first i disliked it. hoping the passport in whole will follow suit..
    09-25-14 04:17 PM
    Hilarious...when the Q came out, everybody flipped and said they hated the keyboard and wanted the 9900 keyboard back! Same thing...now it's the Q that's the reference point :-)

I hope you get used to it.

I tried to order a passport today and it was sold out on the Canadian and American shopblackberry sites. Couldn't get it on amazon either...

What's the deal yo???

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    09-25-14 04:32 PM
    Actually I am really liking this keyboard. Takes a bit of getting used to but I really like how the forth row changes with what you are Doing. Being able to swipe is nice as well. My only complaint may be that the space bar could be a touch wider but I think I'm going to reply like it once I've used it a couple days.

Passport on AT&T
    09-25-14 04:36 PM
    I believe you will LOVE the keyboard after a good week of using and adapting
    Definitely takes some getting use tooooooo

" The sleeping giant is about to wake up " Me
    09-25-14 05:05 PM
    This is my first real message that I'm typing on my new passport and I can say that sometimes my thumbs are hitting the virtual software keys when I'm on the qwertyuiop row.

I need to learn to keep my thumbs down I guess. I also would have preferred a more traditional layout for the keyboard, but I'll give this a shot and see how things go. If I don't like it, I can always buy the Classic when it comes out.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 05:09 PM
    Hilarious...when the Q came out, everybody flipped and said they hated the keyboard and wanted the 9900 keyboard back! Same thing...now it's the Q that's the reference point :-)

I hope you get used to it.

I tried to order a passport today and it was sold out on the Canadian and American shopblackberry sites. Couldn't get it on amazon either...

What's the deal yo???

Posted via CB10
    most likely manipulating supply (restrictions/holds) in order to create the semblance of real demand. the opposite scenario, in this day and age of iPhone backorder media hype, would be a death knell for blackberry.

for apple, it's a real supply chain strain that they can't keep up with demand. for blackberry, they could've very easily had enough inventory to ensure everyone who wanted one on "release day" got one.

all good, though. i can wait a week or two. iPhone 5s works just fine atm.
    09-25-14 05:10 PM
    Same concerns here really. However, I was finding myself getting used to the keyboard and becoming rather speedy before my keyboard problems (see Passport is broke thread ha), but I can't wait to see how I am with it after a week.

I definitely echo someone else saying about the space bar, I too would have liked it slightly wider - but am sure I can adjust as I have done already.

Turning the phone into landscape and using the keypad to swipe up and down the length of the keypad is literally one of the coolest things I've seen in a mobile. It's brilliant.
    09-25-14 05:11 PM
    most likely manipulating supply (restrictions/holds) in order to create the semblance of real demand. the opposite scenario, in this day and age of iPhone backorder media hype, would be a death knell for blackberry.

for apple, it's a real supply chain strain that they can't keep up with demand. for blackberry, they could've very easily had enough inventory to ensure everyone who wanted one on "release day" got one.

They could have. But how do they know what to order? They over estimated the demand for earlier BB10 phones and took a bath. So better safe than sorry. So I disagree that they planned shortages. It is more they under estimated the demand. Which is way better than over estimating.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 05:36 PM
    I also think that with the better marketing they did this time around, that there really is a high demand and just plain sold out! I don't think this is beyond the realm of possibilities. Maby a lot of people just plain want a Passport. Maby they want innovation this time around instead of an I toy with breaches!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:20 PM
    I loved the Q10 keyboard right off the bat. I've always left a bit of room for adjusting to a new BlackBerry keyboard, but usually it's pretty easy to adapt. The Bold 9000 remains the high mark for me, but I've always been able to move forward. The Passport is the first time I've been thrown for a major loop –*I'm just set in my ways, apparently.

I'm going to give it a good week to let myself adjust, but I really think the punctuation and numbers system is a major downfall. because I work in print and graphic design,*I really need to intersperse numbers and random symbols nonstop –*the new keyboard is not as flexible when it comes to that.

I still love the screen and the trackpad though –*I just wish the keyboard was as efficient as usual.
    09-25-14 08:21 PM
    I barely got in last night before I started seeing sold out signs of shop BlackBerry website. Also, when I was ordering by phone, it sounded like a bee hive at the call center. Something I haven't heard from blackberry in a while. I hope they really sell millions! That would truly be a comeback story

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:24 PM
    Also, our fearless leader said after a few days of usage, it gets better with the keyboard. Just a learning curve. Watch his Passport review video.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:27 PM
    Question: When swiping left across the keyboard to delete a typed word, if you swipe with two (or three) fingers, will it delete two (or three) words (as with touchscreen devices like z10)?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 12:43 AM

You should be happy to know you were wrong. The demand was real!

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:57 PM
    I'm really loving it and and am getting so used to it. I'm surprised by how easily I've adapted because as a rule, I hate change haha

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:31 PM
    I also think that with the better marketing they did this time around, that there really is a high demand and just plain sold out! I don't think this is beyond the realm of possibilities. Maby a lot of people just plain want a Passport. Maby they want innovation this time around instead of an I toy with breaches!

Posted via CB10
    Marketing? What marketing did you see that everyone else missed? Just wondering...

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    09-27-14 08:45 PM
    Marketing? What marketing did you see that everyone else missed? Just wondering...

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    Lol... didn't pay that Coke van to "share a Coke with John Chen?"

They also had the newspaper ads, and a billboard in Toronto I believe. But the Coke van was probably most effective, even if it wasn't actually done by BlackBerry at all.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:59 PM
    Coming from an android phone and back to a physical keyboard I'm really liking it. I do on occasion hit the virtual row on accident. But it isn't a huge issue.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 10:43 PM
    Trying the Passport out in the local Telus store was a disaster for typing for me. I keep feeling for the little bump and typing like I'm on the Q10. I'll get used to it though once I get a Passport. It took me about a week or so when I got my first BB (Bold 9700) to really get the hang of typing fast.
    09-28-14 12:25 AM
    I wonder from which device it is "easier" to transition to a Passport. Is it easier to go from a Z30 to a Passport, or from a Q10 to a Passport? Fascinating that the answer isn't immediately obvious.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 09:38 AM
    Question: When swiping left across the keyboard to delete a typed word, if you swipe with two (or three) fingers, will it delete two (or three) words (as with touchscreen devices like z10)?

Posted via CB10
    No it just deletes 1 word at a time. Well from my attempts anyway....

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 03:44 PM