Had my passport for about a month or so...5 times now it has just "shut down" or restarted in mid use..once when swiping awake...once when pressing camera icon, once when pressing "on" button...and today I had to restart it as pressing on any icon simply "greyed" that icon for a few seconds, but no apps would open. Obviously software related, am running original OS 10.3.0.1418, and only have a few basic apps installed..no Amazon or Android apps. Works amazing other than these unexplained restarts...yes, battery always well charged when this happens too...should I wait for next OS upgrade or is this maybe a warranty issue?
    Thanks for any replies

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 11:20 AM
    Have you tried a hard re-set ? Press and hold the up and down volume buttons until the phone restarts (8-10 seconds holding the buttons down)

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 11:41 AM
    Mine also shuts down and restarts sometimes.
    Twice I wasn't using it at the time. Then when I picked it up it was very warm and had shut off.
    Hard reset deleted some apps and it still does it once in a while.
    There are a few glitches with the phone but I have no regrets buying it.
    12-26-14 12:12 PM
    That's interesting. I've never had, seen or heard of this issue at all.
    12-26-14 12:50 PM
    Since you mentioned heat, I think it could be Android apps related. Android apps uses a lot of CPU power because it's software powered and not really optimized for any specific hardware. I would pay closer attention to the apps that causes your phone to heat up and crash. Other then that, I have not seen the Passport crashed and rebooted.

Mine also shuts down and restarts sometimes.
    Twice I wasn't using it at the time. Then when I picked it up it was very warm and had shut off.
    Hard reset deleted some apps and it still does it once in a while.
    There are a few glitches with the phone but I have no regrets buying it.
    12-26-14 12:56 PM
    haven't tried hard reset...will do that and see what happens! Being my business phone I don't have any questionable apps, and it did it even before I added any additional apps to the originals et up.
    12-27-14 11:37 AM
    Had my passport for about a month or so...5 times now it has just "shut down" or restarted in mid use..once when swiping awake...once when pressing camera icon, once when pressing "on" button...and today I had to restart it as pressing on any icon simply "greyed" that icon for a few seconds, but no apps would open. Obviously software related, am running original OS 10.3.0.1418, and only have a few basic apps installed..no Amazon or Android apps. Works amazing other than these unexplained restarts...yes, battery always well charged when this happens too...should I wait for next OS upgrade or is this maybe a warranty issue?
    Thanks for any replies

Posted via CB10
    You may have to re-install the os!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android side loaded on the Passport!
    12-27-14 04:08 PM
    I had the same. Random shutdown. I also have snap and amazon apps installed, but not much.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 04:27 PM
    yeah, I had a couple of those also, on OS that came with it and 10.3.1, went to plug it in to charge and wont charge, did some hard resets and battery went dead, constant boot loop, 2 blinking red lights, blackberry on screen and red dead battery symbol, over and over, re loaded factory os with link same thing, even tried an autoloader, tried various chargers, usb ports and cables, I think its a hardware issue, sent mine back to blackberry

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 04:31 PM
    Same issue for me. Random shutdowns even when doing nothing. I have snap installed and very limited Android app.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 04:32 PM
    I have contacted BlackBerry Help via twitter, don't really want to reload OS, so will keep you all posted with their responses. I run stock OS, minimal apps downloaded..only safedrive and hub ++led both from BlackBerry store (Xmas freebies) no android stuff and just normal business use of phone....

Posted via CB10
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    12-27-14 10:13 PM
    I have contacted BlackBerry Help via twitter, don't really want to reload OS, so will keep you all posted with their responses. I run stock OS, minimal apps downloaded..only safedrive and hub ++led both from BlackBerry store (Xmas freebies) no android stuff and just normal business use of phone....

Posted via CB10
    From personal experience it's caused by loading an adroid app and deleting it! I've fooled around with the os and my device quite a bit and the random reboots started happening when an incompatible android app was installed and deleted!

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 10:27 PM
    Was thinking hardware issue myself and after taking a closer look at the design with power button and SIM slot right next to each other it's will be interesting to keep an eye on this.

NewsFlash! The highest rankin g American citizen is using a BlackBerry
    12-28-14 02:16 AM
    yeah, I had a couple of those also, on OS that came with it and 10.3.1, went to plug it in to charge and wont charge, did some hard resets and battery went dead, constant boot loop, 2 blinking red lights, blackberry on screen and red dead battery symbol, over and over, re loaded factory os with link same thing, even tried an autoloader, tried various chargers, usb ports and cables, I think its a hardware issue, sent mine back to blackberry

Posted via CB10
    Do you have any further/contact information for this process. Mine wasn't purchased from any carrier and we all know how that could be.

12-28-14 02:18 AM
    My Q10 does this, almost daily.

It seems to happen most when the phone gets what I would describe as a power surge - so for example if I swipe to wake it from sleep, or get a message, or press the power button - anything that suddenly needs a lot of power (lighting up the screen, vibrating, etc) then it reboots.

However sometimes it just happens if I put it in my pocket. I'd be interested to know whether it's hardware or software related (it must be hardware, as my phone wouldn't know I've put it in my pocket) but how disappointing that the Passport does it too.
    12-28-14 02:54 AM
    My Q10 does this, almost daily.

It seems to happen most when the phone gets what I would describe as a power surge - so for example if I swipe to wake it from sleep, or get a message, or press the power button - anything that suddenly needs a lot of power (lighting up the screen, vibrating, etc) then it reboots.

However sometimes it just happens if I put it in my pocket. I'd be interested to know whether it's hardware or software related (it must be hardware, as my phone wouldn't know I've put it in my pocket) but how disappointing that the Passport does it too.
    Very disappointing indeed. I've been searching through various forums and found that this problem is a fairly common one on the Z10 with no clear solution and very little input from BlackBerry on this. I'm as die hard as BlackBerry users may come but if this one is not resolved I think I may have to reconsider my alliances...

12-28-14 04:53 AM
    Do you have any further/contact information for this process. Mine wasn't purchased from any carrier and we all know how that could be.

I contacted them from shop blackberry where I bought it, did the re load os thing, gave them order #, they sent a shipping box, I sent it back yesterday

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 08:40 AM
    I've had my Passport for a little over 2 months now and have had this random shut down twice. I definitely don't consider it a real "problem" but I just wanted to add another experience to this thread. The 1st time it happened, the phone was very hot and was simply in my pocket. I did a hard reset and it was operating normally once again. The 2nd time was about a week or so ago, I was actually turning the camera on when it froze and then suddenly decided to go blank. Not a big deal, resetted it and it was fine again.
    12-28-14 10:10 AM
    I've had my Passport for a little over 2 months now and have had this random shut down twice. I definitely don't consider it a real "problem" but I just wanted to add another experience to this thread. The 1st time it happened, the phone was very hot and was simply in my pocket. I did a hard reset and it was operating normally once again. The 2nd time was about a week or so ago, I was actually turning the camera on when it froze and then suddenly decided to go blank. Not a big deal, resetted it and it was fine again.
    I would monitor this very closely because it could be the beginning of a catastrophic outcome like the rest of us who ended up with invalid passports (lol).

chris1h likes this.
    12-29-14 07:19 AM
    I've had it in happen with the android port for call blocker. Once I installed the app, the device started rebooting immediately. After fully deleting the app the reboots have completely stopped!its either hardware or software!

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:09 AM
    I have no android apps on mine, minimal extra apps, BB Only apps, my phone is my primary business tool. Spent the weekend with BB Help via Twitter, they seem to have heard of this as they asked if it was happening when I "put the phone down" (twice that caused it) or in specific apps...but otherwise shutdowns have no other pattern. They have final told me to contact my carrier (Bell) and get linked up with Blackberry Tech Assistance via phone. While chatting with Bb Help on twitter it "locked up" again, I could swipe thru main screens, but emails wouldn't open and no apps would open, they just "greyed out" for a few seconds ...but wouldn't open. Had to restart to get it working again.
    12-29-14 10:08 AM
    I have no android apps on mine, minimal extra apps, BB Only apps, my phone is my primary business tool. Spent the weekend with BB Help via Twitter, they seem to have heard of this as they asked if it was happening when I "put the phone down" (twice that caused it) or in specific apps...but otherwise shutdowns have no other pattern. They have final told me to contact my carrier (Bell) and get linked up with Blackberry Tech Assistance via phone. While chatting with Bb Help on twitter it "locked up" again, I could swipe thru main screens, but emails wouldn't open and no apps would open, they just "greyed out" for a few seconds ...but wouldn't open. Had to restart to get it working again.
    At least yours is still coming back on. Mine has been off mobile since Saturday. It is working on WiFi flawlessly between boot cycles however. Tried running BBVE but that's not reading anything, no battery,no memory, no cpu, nothing.

chris1h likes this.
    12-29-14 11:40 AM
    Did you ever install any adroid app? Did you do a full restore via link? These are the two most common issues with reboots. It either is a corrupt os or a faulty device. This is the general I find from personal experience. Never restore system apps ever while doing a device switch as that has corrupted my devices in the past. And as I mentioned in a previous post installing a ported app Call blocker from android apk also caused my device to systematically reboot.
    12-29-14 02:47 PM
    No I usually do a clean install of all apps. No android apps were installed on mine. I've tried every available OS through autoloader and nothing. What I've noticed too during boot cycles is that there is no "verifying and securing os" message displayed at the bottom of circle as per normal. From the forums I can tell that a few others are having same issue so I'm hoping for a speedy resolution

12-29-14 02:55 PM
    any resolution on your device yet? I was told by Blackberry Help @ Twitter to call my carrier & get connected directly with BB Tech Support. Thankfully my plan (Bell) is hosted by 3rd party plan so I can deal thru them and not Bell which is painful. I am just awaiting final email of what to do, likely replacement will be sent out and send this one back. BB Help via Twitter seemed to know abou the problem y the questions they asked, "did it reboot when putting it down, (yes) or when opening apps (yes) "
    12-29-14 05:57 PM
38 12