I don't think BlackBerry wanted the Passport to be in short supply at all. They just radically underestimated how popular a "niche" device would be. They have suffered years of falling sales globally, then they created a radically different device from anything they ever tried before. I don't think Chen & Co. could have anticipated selling 200,000 Passports in 6 hours.

As for a "luxury" device, there are versions in VIP boxes and there are gold tone units out there. Those are the luxe models.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-09-14 06:17 PM
    There's already a thousand threads threads discussing the shortage.

By no means was it intentional and BlackBerry couldn't produce excess stock as it could lead to another fiasco like the Z10 write-off.

They had no idea how this would sell because even here on CB people were skeptical if they'd like the device.
    Now skip a few weeks and it's in extremely high-demand and they're rushing to catch up to the demand! They could not have predicted this outcome since JC himself was even stunned they had sold out their 200,000 from ShopBlackBerry and Amazon!

Patience is a virtue, yes, but there's so many who just don't want to wait for things and want everything instantly.. just gotta wait for some things in life? \:|/

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    10-09-14 06:18 PM
    10-09-14 06:20 PM
    You mean they finally learned from Apple?
    Bugatti and Passport - LOL
    10-09-14 06:29 PM
    There's already a thousand threads threads discussing the shortage.

By no means was it intentional and BlackBerry couldn't produce excess stock as it could lead to another fiasco like the Z10 write-off.

They had no idea how this would sell because even here on CB people were skeptical if they'd like the device.
    Now skip a few weeks and it's in extremely high-demand and they're rushing to catch up to the demand! They could not have predicted this outcome since JC himself was even stunned they had sold out their 200,000 from ShopBlackBerry and Amazon!

Patience is a virtue, yes, but there's so many who just don't want to wait for things and want everything instantly.. just gotta wait for some things in life? \:|/

But the fact that people who ordered on day B got it before person who ordered on day A. That's a problem. Seems to me that people are waiting(they still done have it). Most of us just are not being silent about it. Some are saying they were charged and got no info about shipping(not just pre-auth). That's a problem. So I'd say people are more than justified to vent and complain and #*/'"#@.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 06:38 PM
    10-09-14 06:50 PM
    http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ts-and-a-yacht

What makes a Bugatti owner different? The fact that?on average?they own about 84 cars, three jets, and a yacht, reports Bloomberg, quoting VW Group's Wolfgang Drheimer, who has headed both Bugatti and Bentley.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 06:59 PM
    Also, I've posted this before but there main reason why the OP's premise fails is because the Passport is being sold relatively cheap.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 07:04 PM
    But the fact that people who ordered on day B got it before person who ordered on day A. That's a problem. Seems to me that people are waiting(they still done have it). Most of us just are not being silent about it. Some are saying they were charged and got no info about shipping(not just pre-auth). That's a problem. So I'd say people are more than justified to vent and complain and #*/'"#@.

Posted via CB10
    Was that meant for me?

I'm not saying this distribution wasn't messed up at all, I'm just saying that it was smart for them to not overdo themselves and make Passports galore leading to a write-off as opposed to staying on the safeside and doubling up on production after they knew the demand :P

bungaboy likes this.
    10-09-14 07:06 PM
    @OP,

with all due respect, that strategy is complete hogwash in this situation. a struggling brand does not have the luxury of acting coy

...just imagine how many passports would have been sold in the last 14 days if it had been available to buy for those impulse buyers and millions of BB enthusiasts who have been excited by the features of the passport

first quadcore BB ever...no die hard BB user doesnt want to know how that feels first hand but now by making it hard to find, real enthusiasts will start seeing posts by BB haters who were able to get the passport early and the excitement will start waning then the Passport will become available and nobody wants to buy again

wont be surprised if we see another inventory write off
    RH1Pearl and allsportsfan like this.
    10-10-14 01:47 AM
    OP,

When things are left unexplained we have a tendency to fill in the blanks. I agree it is intentional that there is short supply, but only because John Chen is one of the most conservative CEOs out there.

He is not banking on the US market alone and wants to make sure other launches in other countries get off the ground too!

I sympathize with you because I too was super frustrated before I lucked out and got mine from the coupon-gate fiasco.

Posted via CB10
    RH1Pearl likes this.
    10-10-14 02:10 AM
    @OP,

with all due respect, that strategy is complete hogwash in this situation. a struggling brand does not have the luxury of acting coy

...just imagine how many passports would have been sold in the last 14 days if it had been available to buy for those impulse buyers and millions of BB enthusiasts who have been excited by the features of the passport

first quadcore BB ever...no die hard BB user doesnt want to know how that feels first hand but now by making it hard to find, real enthusiasts will start seeing posts by BB haters who were able to get the passport early and the excitement will start waning then the Passport will become available and nobody wants to buy again

wont be surprised if we see another inventory write off
    You live in fantasy land and BlackBerry doesn't have the luxury of being able to look back in time like you have and solve problems. Chen almost killed the project : stated in an interview that BlackBerry hopefully expected to see 250,000 by the end of the year. That statement alone says it all.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 04:46 AM
    If this is true, which I highly doubt, then BBRY has done it as ham-fisted a way as only BBRY is capable of by failing to provide information as to when they expect Passports to be available (ie. "expected to ship within X days").
    10-10-14 05:17 AM
    Sensationalist title... pure speculation... angry-cant-get-device-now undertone.....
    Couldn't have said it better
    10-10-14 07:53 AM
    It is just a matter of one month where so many phones going to flood the market all over the globe, I am sure the demand would die down and the reality will come back and hit BB on missed opportunities. Right now with so many flagship products are having bottleneck with manufacturing delays, issues, supply chain issues, distribution issues, BB could have manufactured additional spare capacity to meet the demand. Especially, they could have roped in fence sitters with the attractive device.
    10-10-14 08:25 AM
    Sensationalist title... pure speculation... angry-cant-get-device-now undertone.....
    I don't agree with the OP either. Blackberry cannot afford tactics like that. On the other hand your comment is as stupid as comments like 'you are jelleous' etc which were made by other users in other threads.

I am neither jelleous nor angry. I just shake my head how two big companies are totally incompetent to provide any kind of updates in regards to shipping dates. Even with out of stock BB must know what the manufacturing capacity is and must know what the backorder numbers are.

Does the wait make me want the device more? Not at all. Not knowing what the estimated shipping date is it makes me want to go somewhere else because of need. I have a Z30 and a Z10. I love both phones. Unfortunately my Z10 is nearing its end. For over 1 1/2 years this phone performed admirably. I probably pushed the phone to its capacity at times. Though I have no complains the need to replace it is there. Getting another Z10 is not an option anymore since I really got used to the bigger screen with theZ30. I could buy another Z30 but if I buy a new phone I want the latest technology. The Z10 was supposed to be replaced by the Passport and the Z30 by the Z50 in March. But with the bungling of the shipping part by BB I doubt that the Z50 will actually be available in 2015 at all.

BB wants to reinvent itself in the business community then they should act like a business. Like in every business dates and shipment of products are important. But what is even more important is the communication with your clients. It is well known that a client you stay in contact with is much more forgiving than a client you disregard.

In my case an estimated shipping date would do wonders. I could determine if I could stretch the life of my Z10 or if I have to go to an alternative temporary solution. But not knowing is counter productive.

I am extremely loyal to BB. Loyal up to the point that I discontinued my loyalty with certain carriers. But every loyalty has its breaking points. Lack of communication is a biggy for me. Not knowing when I will get my device is another.

So, no, waiting for the device without any clue when it will actually be shipped is not making me wanting it more. It does not make me angry either. It makes me wonder how a company in the communication business is so bad when it comes to communication. I just shake my head and say to myself: dear lord, when they start turning away the most loyal customers what ist the purpose of even staying in business.
    jgill072 and KingOfQwerty like this.
    10-10-14 08:35 AM
    BlackBerry isn't the seller, they are not charging you and not shipping, that is digital river.

Posted via CB10
    They may not be charging you per se but they have already pre-authorised the funds on your card making them inaccessible to you. As far as the individual is concerned this is the same as being charged.
    10-10-14 09:38 AM
    You live in fantasy land and BlackBerry doesn't have the luxury of being able to look back in time like you have and solve problems. Chen almost killed the project : stated in an interview that BlackBerry hopefully expected to see 250,000 by the end of the year. That statement alone says it all.

Posted via CB10
    It's amazing how when they want it to do well, it doesn't, but when they barely even let the phone be created and are expecting low sales, it's done amazing!

awindsr likes this.
    10-10-14 10:53 AM
    That is more likely the case than the opposite. Amazon, DR, and Blackberry passport purchasers are all contacting and requesting ANY info from Blackberry on when or WHETHER Blackberry will continue to produce the device. It has said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Ill repeat: Blackberry refuses to respond and confirm that it will continue to stock and ship the passport to DR, Amazon, and people paying and attempting to be its customers. Doesn't make a lot of sense huh? Your accusation of Chen getting the payments diverted actually makes more sense.
    This is simply bull$$$$. Frankly, get a grip on reality. Demand is high and supply is limited because of the cautious nature of the rollout. Duh.
    10-10-14 01:57 PM
    I'd only want a Veyron for the purposes of selling it lol. I'd much rather sell it for $1,000,000 then buy a high end BMW for $100,000, and have $900,000 in the bank.

Posted via CB10
    Why a $100,000 car? Just get an M3!

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 02:00 PM
    To all those still waiting for their Passport I want to say, that it is worth waiting for. I got mine and I am speechless. I would not trade it for any other device. I totally understand why it is in such high demand. I wish you patients and you will be rewarded.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 02:22 PM
    This is simply bull$$$$. Frankly, get a grip on reality. Demand is high and supply is limited because of the cautious nature of the rollout. Duh.
    If you read any of the many threads on this now proving you wrong, you would realize you are wrong. Continue living blissfully ignorant though, like the rest of the iphone fanboys that you probably identify yourself with. Until then, don't waste our time with your useless posts.
    10-10-14 02:32 PM
    I don't agree with the OP either. Blackberry cannot afford tactics like that. On the other hand your comment is as stupid as comments like 'you are jelleous' etc which were made by other users in other threads.

I am neither jelleous nor angry. I just shake my head how two big companies are totally incompetent to provide any kind of updates in regards to shipping dates. Even with out of stock BB must know what the manufacturing capacity is and must know what the backorder numbers are.

Does the wait make me want the device more? Not at all. Not knowing what the estimated shipping date is it makes me want to go somewhere else because of need. I have a Z30 and a Z10. I love both phones. Unfortunately my Z10 is nearing its end. For over 1 1/2 years this phone performed admirably. I probably pushed the phone to its capacity at times. Though I have no complains the need to replace it is there. Getting another Z10 is not an option anymore since I really got used to the bigger screen with theZ30. I could buy another Z30 but if I buy a new phone I want the latest technology. The Z10 was supposed to be replaced by the Passport and the Z30 by the Z50 in March. But with the bungling of the shipping part by BB I doubt that the Z50 will actually be available in 2015 at all.

BB wants to reinvent itself in the business community then they should act like a business. Like in every business dates and shipment of products are important. But what is even more important is the communication with your clients. It is well known that a client you stay in contact with is much more forgiving than a client you disregard.

In my case an estimated shipping date would do wonders. I could determine if I could stretch the life of my Z10 or if I have to go to an alternative temporary solution. But not knowing is counter productive.

I am extremely loyal to BB. Loyal up to the point that I discontinued my loyalty with certain carriers. But every loyalty has its breaking points. Lack of communication is a biggy for me. Not knowing when I will get my device is another.

So, no, waiting for the device without any clue when it will actually be shipped is not making me wanting it more. It does not make me angry either. It makes me wonder how a company in the communication business is so bad when it comes to communication. I just shake my head and say to myself: dear lord, when they start turning away the most loyal customers what ist the purpose of even staying in business.
    Well said. When is Blackberry going to say ANYTHING about when it will continue to make and ship the passport, if at all? Some day, this will be analyzed in some business class as precisely how NOT to do business if you wish to compete against bigger players in the game that are excellent at customer communication/support and manufacturing logistics/order fulfillment. Im selling my stock in BB, sadly.
    10-10-14 02:34 PM
    If you read any of the many threads on this now proving you wrong, you would realize you are wrong. Continue living blissfully ignorant though, like the rest of the iphone fanboys that you probably identify yourself with. Until then, don't waste our time with your useless posts.
    Did you cancel your order and request refund?
    10-10-14 02:57 PM
    Carrier partners will always be first and have branding and amounts allocated. BB estimated demand to be much lower than reality. Now the problem is who gets new devices first, branded or unbranded.

I bet they made about a million devices total to distribute globally. Somehow, everyone seemed to loss their mind on getting a passport and have cleared the channel.

The down stream supplier got a call on his/her day off 'They want more Passports' the reply 'That crazy BlackBerry device?' 'Yea boss seems everyone is buying them' 'Yea yea, we will turn the machines on next week, BlackBerry people are stupid they should have just got an iPhone.'

lol....
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    10-10-14 02:59 PM
56 123